• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

That just shows how underground the Metroid series is. It is probably one of the less popular big Nintendo franchises.

I've only played Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones and Awakening, but I never finished the latler, because I didn't like the characters that much. I loved Sacred Stones, though and I wish to play future titles of the series if they aren't similar to Awakening (and a few older ones I never played, too).
Yeah, I can tell you that Awakening took a lot of the classic FE elements out to make it easier and more appealing to a wider/new audience (pairing up instead of rescuing,so characters would get stronger together instead of being impeded, no survival or downright brutal missions, opportunities for endless grinding (I still haven't "beaten" it after 130 hours because I've been maxing out all of my characters stats and getting all of their possible skills), etc.).

I love all the characters in Awakening (if you can't tell already), but I think that comes partially from my devotion to FE as a franchise.

I do find it funny that you (and probably other Metroid fans) consider the Metroid series "underground", and I guess it kind of shows how ignorant I was with regards to the fanbase size because whenever I thought about which were Nintendo's Flagship Franchises, I always thought Mario, LoZ, Metroid, and Pokemon. :laugh:

If someone could point me to some games to start with in the Metroid Series, I imagine that it could easily become another of the franchises within which I've beaten all the games. After all, it has my favorite "pure" Nintendo Villain in Ridley, and many other memorable bosses as well. :colorful:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
It sounds lame, but so is saying that Sakurai wasn't technically lying when he said Phosphora was an (Assist) Trophy.
I disagree, I don't find it lame at all, in fact I find it incredibly clever. "Other boss characters make appearances too". He could have just said other stage bosses make appearances too but no, he said boss CHARACTERS. You sly fox Sakurai.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
OK guys I have been thinking
August is going to be a huge month
HUGE!

Reasons.

1. Pokemon X/Y - MK8 both got a direct centered for them shortly before release because both are huge Nintendo games and deal breakers. MK8's direct was April 30th and the Smash direct was April 8th.

2. International Nintendo directs happen every 2 months

Dec2013 - Rosalina
Feb2014 - Little Mac
April2014- Greninja
June2014 - E3
August 2014 - ????

They will be a Big Nintendo direct early August it won't be smash focused but we may get a newcomer the reason why I say we may not is because late August I believe we will indeed get another smash direct before the game releases in japan.

We could get a newcomer in the normal August direct and another one in the Smash direct or we could just get a crazy blowout in the Smash direct.

These game focused directs that happen before release are alot more juicy Aswell.

August is going to be probably the biggest hype wait way more than E3 I'm there is a huge chance we will know Ridley fate in August either through the normal direct revealed as playable or in the later smash direct part 2.

Also after that direct the game will be out in japan 2 weeks after.

August will give us answered Trust me
Oh no brainer we are getting the best character trailer before the release it will be the best for last, and then all of the unlockable newcomers trailers after the release. (Even though the roster will be reveal before all are revealed.)

And for question but how do we get a second smash direct before release?, when its a 2 month delay during directs.)

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
If someone could point me to some games to start with in the Metroid Series, I imagine that it could easily become another of the franchises within which I've beaten all the games. After all, it has my favorite "pure" Nintendo Villain in Ridley, and many other memorable bosses as well. :colorful:
Most people will tell you Super Metroid, Zero Mission, or Prime. I wouldn't disagree.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yeah, I can tell you that Awakening took a lot of the classic FE elements out to make it easier and more appealing to a wider/new audience (pairing up instead of rescuing,so characters would get stronger together instead of being impeded, no survival or downright brutal missions, opportunities for endless grinding (I still haven't "beaten" it after 130 hours because I've been maxing out all of my characters stats and getting all of their possible skills), etc.).

I love all the characters in Awakening (if you can't tell already), but I think that comes partially from my devotion to FE as a franchise.

I do find it funny that you (and probably other Metroid fans) consider the Metroid series "underground", and I guess it kind of shows how ignorant I was with regards to the fanbase size because whenever I thought about which were Nintendo's Flagship Franchises, I always thought Mario, LoZ, Metroid, and Pokemon. :laugh:

My problems with Awakening aren't necessarily the ones you listed, but that is not a subject for this thread, I suppose.

Metroid is certainly a very well known franchise, but it isn't nearly as popular as Mario (obviously), Zelda, Smash Bros, Pokémon, etc. Still, there is a Metroid fanbase, a very vocal one at that.

As for recommendations, I suppose the best starting points are Super Metroid (arguably the most popular game in the series, one of the best ones also) and Metroid Zero Mission (the amazing remake of the original game and probably my favorite traditional title in the series). You could also start with Prime, if you prefer 3D games, the game is amazing and the only to rival Super Metroid in terms of popularity. There is no harm in starting with Fusion either, the game is amazing, but a little bit different from other titles in the series (having a linear progression and a deeper survival horror-ish atmosphere). Just don't start with Prime 2 or Prime 3, because those are sequels to Prime and avoid Other M at all costs. Prime Hunters is kinda mediocre too, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm slightly sadistic/cruel and emotionless, and am sociopathic, unsocial (aside from here), cynical, condescending, and dour. Which is similar to what Ridley is like (sort of).

Does anyone else share these characteristics with Ridley/me?
More or less.
Also while I was reading that message I was thinking "That doesn't fit the avatar at all...", but then I remembered your username.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Ridley needs more of a part in metroid other than just a boss, I know he does have an impact, but it would be nice to see him constantly through out the game. I don't include metroid other M because it wasn't full ridley until the final battle.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
avoid Other M at all costs.
This really got a smile on my face C:

Even I wish I had Other M for the only reason to DIE in purpose, that would have been REALLY fun. Too bad I can't kill the chicken legged furby from hell from the very beginning...and If I want to kill or beat the sh*t out of Roidley I would have to go through a lot of boring things...better I keep going with Prime or draw more Ridley/Metroid stuff...

Last edited:

Reila

Ridley needs more of a part in metroid other than just a boss, I know he does have an impact, but it would be nice to see him constantly through out the game. I don't include metroid other M because it wasn't full ridley until the final battle.
Not even Nintendo include Other M when speaking about Metroid, so we shouldn't either. :awesome:

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I played a lot but not all metriod games there just good old fun. Although Echoes I quit at getting the screw attack part.

Its seems that a few of wanted Ridley because of the terrible detractors lol, fools there hate only makes Ridley stronger :denzel:

Last edited:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
I played a lot but not all metriod games there just good old fun. Although Echoes I quit at the getting the screw attack part.

Its seems that a few of wanted Ridley because of the terrible detractors lol, fools there hate only makes Ridley stronger :denzel:
And then if he is confirmed he gets so much hate he'd become so strong he'd make Meta Knight look like Ganon.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
I finally got around to beating Metroid 2 a couple of weeks ago, the last Metroid game I needed to complete. Even after playing them all I still don't find Zero Suit Samus proper representation for the series, she only had a major part in Zero Mission and the post-game of Other M.

When I think of iconic Metroid characters and moments, I usually think of Samus in her full suit over the grand reveal that omg she's a woman all along, which is really strange in hindsight. That's probably a deciding factor on why I'm so big on Ridley getting in, I still personally feel we only have one Metroid rep, even though I know that's technically not the case. Plus, he's the most constant character in the franchise alongside Samus and the Metroids themselves.

And yes, Super and Prime 1 are definitely the best of their respective styles. :3c

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just don't start with Prime 2 or Prime 3, because those are sequels to Prime and avoid Other M at all costs. Prime Hunters is kinda mediocre too, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Avoid Other M if you feel you must, avoid F(ew)sion, and avoid Prime Hunters unless you have people to play local multiplayer with. Everything else is pretty good aside from that. /rules to follow with the Metroid series

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
August is my birth month, I will consult with it about Ridley's fate.
You might get the best birthday gift because the trailer could be the best for last (before the release.)

Because august is the final direct before release and sakurai is probably doing the best for last.

(Ps this is why i think ridley nor mewtwo was not shown at E3 in the first place save one of them or both for august.)

Staarih

Smash Master
I'll root for Ridley as a birthday gift to whoever has their birthday the soonest. Mine is next month, so surely I'd take it too.

Reila

My birthday is one month after the Japanese release, so by that time Ridley will be already known to be playable or not in Smash.
And yes, Super and Prime 1 are definitely the best of their respective styles. :3c
I disagree. They are certainly the most popular, but not necessarily the best titles of their respective styles.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
We must have a Ridley cake, when Ridley is announced. And we shall sing the song of my people (happy birthday).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh no brainer we are getting the best character trailer before the release it will be the best for last, and then all of the unlockable newcomers trailers after the release. (Even though the roster will be reveal before all are revealed.)

And for question but how do we get a second smash direct before release?, when its a 2 month delay during directs.)
April2014 had 2 directs smash 8th and MK8 30th
MK8 JPN 29th may & everywhere else 30thmay

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd say Super Metroid and Zero Mission are great for 2d Metroid, though nothing else really works out for 2D Metroid. Fusion is awful and Metroid 1/2 are kind of really outdated. (Though Zero Mission is a remake anyway so whatever)

Then we have Prime 1, Prime 2, Prime 3 (Which I personally think is the best one but I've been disagreed with), Prime Hunters (Which is ALSO awful in terms of single player)...

And Other M really is its own thing off in the corner, dunno what to really say other than it's the only pseudo-2D 3rd person 3D Metroid. Sure? Let's call it that.

But I can definitely understand Prime 1 and Super Metroid being called the best in 2D or 3D metroids, since they kind of don't have a lot of competition. Yet. Until we get those new Metroid titles in a few years. ;D

EDIT: Actually I may as well ask, what IS the general consensus here in regards of Super Metroid and Zero Mission? Which ones you guys feel is better?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think finding a Ridley cake would be hard...wouldn't be enough with some Ridley cookies?

Ridley1resized.jpg

These cookies are so awesome that I wouldn't eat them...

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
My birthday is 5 days after the Japanese release of the 3DS version, so I guess finding out at that time (if I hadn't before) will be a bit of a treat.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Man, you guys still haven't gotten to page 900?

You disappoint me.

So the Greninja section has a thread attempting to find personality similarities among players who are drawn to the same characters. Is there anything we can find in common with us Space Pirates?
We're all stubborn.

avoid F(ew)sion,
*snarl*

We must have a Ridley cake, when Ridley is announced. And we shall sing the song of my people (happy birthday).
There'd be enough cake for at least three months, even if each one of use eat two slices per day.

BECAUSE THAT CAKE WOULD BE TOO BI-- *gets promptly shot*

My Birthday's a grand total of 19 days after the US release. Yay for me... I don't get no Ridley-themed gift, or the ability to use birthday magic to change the course of fate.
Mine is 22 days later.

Don't complain.

D

Deleted member

My birthday's on Groundhog's Day.

It's too bad Ridley isn't a groundhog. :c

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
well guys I finally can give you my little Ridley-surprise
if you like apps then you will love my surprise
I wanted to finish it before E3 but I could use the computer only to watch the E3 so I did it after E3
I didn't find enough gifs so the last pictures are images but I think it isn't a real problem because almost nobody can finish it :awesome:
ANYWAY HERE YOU ARE
http://games.usvsth3m.com/2048/ridley-metroid-edition/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
EDIT: Actually I may as well ask, what IS the general consensus here in regards of Super Metroid and Zero Mission? Which ones you guys feel is better?
The general conseus in the Metroid fanbase is that Super Metroid is by far and wide the best 2D Metroid, if not the best Metroid game period (it's pretty evenly split between it and Prime 1 though.) Zero Mission is often ragged upon for being too short, and rightfully so honestly, I don't mind terribly much as I only speed run it these days, but it really is ridiculously short. That and some of the bosses are absolute jokes, I mean sure low % can be pretty dangerous (Ridley 1 hits you iirc,) but for a basic playthrough you just steamroll through everything.

D

Deleted member

The reason Ridley is small, slow and has weird movements is because Sakurai isn't trying to recreate his Other M battle, he's trying to recreate his Metroid 1 battle(that one that never existed acording to detractors)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
You might get the best birthday gift because the trailer could be the best for last (before the release.)

Because august is the final direct before release and sakurai is probably doing the best for last.

(Ps this is why i think ridley nor mewtwo was not shown at E3 in the first place save one of them or both for august.)
It would make a lot of sense to reveal Ridley and Mewtwo together since Brawl established Samus and Pikachu as pals.

Top Bottom