• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
That's hilarious! And logical enough to be a possibility. I can see samurai dragging snakes move set to the recycle in. But then he says "Nahhhhh!" And pastes it on top of Adam or the scary looking black guy.
Shh... you don't see anything.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
That's hilarious! And logical enough to be a possibility. I can see samurai dragging snakes move set to the recycle in. But then he says "Nahhhhh!" And pastes it on top of Adam or the scary looking black guy.
The wording in your post, lmao.

Anthony Higgs should be an Assist Trophy. (as well as Groose from Skyward Sword)

I'll be sad if those two don't make it.

This makes me sad. Like really, if anybody else besides Ridley is going to get it, it is going to be Adam. I could see him taking over Snakes moveset but with slight differences.
Are you serious. I'm thumbing down like Samus at that thought.

----

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Demoman?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You really gotta start questioning some of these people when one-game side characters specifically from a game whose characters were one of the points that made people hate it are considered by ANYONE more likely than an iconic villain in every game bar three, man.

I think a Space Pirate would be fun to play as. A Prime Space Pirate. Maybe Aerotrooper. Don't shoot me. Science Team may have vapour for brains, but Space Pirates from Prime (specifically 2) were kickass, at least in design. Of course I'd prefer Ridley over that, but just to talk about it.
I wouldn't mind Rundas or Gandrayda in the game. Even though they are one-game characters, they were very memorable, at least to me.

Of course, Ridley comes first.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best, right? It feels ever-so-slightly comforting to know that worst case scenario, we only have three months to wait until we'll officially know, though.

Aside from that... believe it or not, I've seen people that have genuinely wanted Other M Adam Malkovich on the playable roster.
I have seen people that wanted Anthony or any of those hunters that I never bothered to remember their name, the worst part is that some say that Ridley isn't on the level of Greninja, Rosalina or Palutena but they do

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
The wording in your post, lmao.

Anthony Higgs should be an Assist Trophy. (as well as Groose from Skyward Sword)

Are you serious. I'm thumbing down like Samus at that thought.

----
Well who else? I wanna say Sylux since he is teased at the end of MP3, but idk about him.
I also just thought of Kraig, that would be fun.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind Rundas or Gandrayda in the game. Even though they are one-game characters, they were very memorable, at least to me.

Of course, Ridley comes first.
No love Ghor :c hey he had short internet joke that has funny for a few minutes...

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Complete worst-case scenario: Sakurai has no idea he has been leading us on all this time and shows Ridley as a stage hazard in a random daily pic sometime.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The only reason the time argument falls through is Sakurai could think Bossly is hype-able to not show off until later.
I'm not sure I'd consider a boss, any boss, as something to get me hyped, especially if said boss is a character I wanted playable.

I mean, the gimmick itself just seems bleh to me. I mean, they're basically glorified stage hazards, mixed with SSE styled boss battles, that are present in a bunch of stages. I dunno.

D

Deleted member

Complete worst-case scenario: Sakurai has no idea he has been leading us on all this time and shows Ridley as a stage hazard in a random daily pic sometime.
The only way I feel this could be conceivable is if Sakurai somehow had no knowledge of the footage of the Smash Direct in the Stage Boss section and only read a blind script.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Heh, the Space Pirate's final smash is where it releases its strictly prohibited pet Metroid to destroy everything. Including itself.

Rundas and Gandraya were two I'd forgotten about! While I think their best bet would probably be assist trophies in some form or another (and even then, as shown, Dark Samus and Mother Brain beat them), I wouldn't object to either of those two at all, provided it wasn't them OR Ridley.

The only reason the time argument falls through is Sakurai could think Bossly is hype-able to not show off until later.
If Sakurai really does think that, he's probably gonna learn how miffed he'll make people as soon as he unveils Bossley. Do you think that'd give him incentive for Smash 5?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Remember that post I made about Palutena several pages back? Well, I've got more, only this time it involves Greninja and Mewtwo.

Now, pay close attention to 0:45 of Greninja's reveal trailer.

Notice how his hands don't have webbing between them, and the suction cups on the tips are missing. It's obvious that Sakurai went out of his way to keep us guessing who it was throughout the trailer, and given how everybody first thought it was Mewtwo, I'd say it worked.

So what about Ridley? Well, we've seen that the camera angle during his shadow scene is abnormal, there isn't any sound, and the words spoken during the segment are very unspecific ("other boss characters"). With the knowledge of what lengths Sakurai did to tease Greninja, albeit at a much shorter span of time, then it isn't a stretch at all to hypothesize that he took extra measures to keep Ridley cryptic even in plain sight.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm not sure I'd consider a boss, any boss, as something to get me hyped, especially if said boss is a character I wanted playable.

I mean, the gimmick itself just seems bleh to me. I mean, they're basically glorified stage hazards, mixed with SSE styled boss battles, that are present in a bunch of stages. I dunno.
Me either. Unfortunately, being from the Ridley for smash thread, there is a bit of sample bias going on : P

@ samsparta21 samsparta21
That is my biggest fear for Ridley over the next few months.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

At this point, I'm not sure if there are any besides Yellow Devil.

Metal Face would be cool, though.

Reila

No love Ghor :c hey he had short internet joke that has funny for a few minutes...
I find him to be the least memorable between the three bounty hunters, but he is not a bad character.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If Sakurai really does think that, he's probably gonna learn how miffed he'll make people as soon as he unveils Bossley. Do you think that'd give him incentive for Smash 5?
Unfortunately, this doesn't fly either. Ridley was the only non-playable character in brawl that a journalist asked about thoughts of his inclusion afterwards that got a response. I'd say thats as far as the smash community is going to get to getting Sakurai's attention. If after that he's not playable, Sakurai just has other ideas.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well Sakurai did say bosses would appear on other stages, not just Wily Castle.

Really, we should count on more bosses.
While this is true, it doesn't directly hurt Ridley. There are plenty of other opportunities for bosses, though. Kalos league hasn't been shown off officially yet. We haven't seen a DK or starfox stage. Hell, we could fight whispy woods. There are a lot of options.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Remember that post I made about Palutena several pages back? Well, I've got more, only this time it involves Greninja and Mewtwo.

Notice how his hands don't have webbing between them, and the suction cups on the tips are missing. It's obvious that Sakurai went out of his way to keep us guessing who it was throughout the trailer, and given how everybody first thought it was Mewtwo, I'd say it worked.

So what about Ridley? Well, we've seen that the camera angle during his shadow scene is abnormal, there isn't any sound, and the words spoken during the segment are very unspecific ("other boss characters"). With the knowledge of what lengths Sakurai did to tease Greninja, albeit at a much shorter span of time, then it isn't a stretch at all to hypothesize that he took extra measures to keep Ridley cryptic even in plain sight.
Nice comparison. Only...

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I find him to be the least memorable between the three bounty hunters, but he is not a bad character.
Yeah I agree the others hunters interacted with Samus more, after Ridley though I would want Dark Samus next maybe for the next Smash?

Reila

I really don't think Greninja's trailer was teasing Mewtwo. Yeah, the hands are different in that part, but it still has the tongue scarf.
Yeah I agree the others hunters interacted with Samus more, after Ridley though I would want Dark Samus next maybe for the next Smash?
Yeah, that would be nice. I wanted Dark Samus playable as much as I want Ridley.

No, I wanted Ridley a little bit more because of all the hate the character get from detractors.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I really don't think Greninja's trailer was teasing Mewtwo. Yeah, the hands are different in that part, but it still has the tongue scarf.
I have an explanation: What is the first thing you would look if this trailer was presented to you the first time? I would check his hand and with the shuriken put into evidence, it's very likely that you would check the hands and realize how they look like mewtwo.

I thin it's a tease.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Yeah, that would be nice. I wanted Dark Samus playable as much as I want Ridley.

No, I wanted Ridley a little bit more because of all the hate the character get from detractors.
It's like Greninja.
His water attacks are powered by every Mewtwo Fanboy/girl's Tears.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So he just coincidentally showed off Ridley's shadow at an awkward angle that was so perfect that we couldn't see the lava flow, platforms, or any other shadow besides that of Ridley? And Ridley is downsized incredibly small, and Pyrosphere (one of the earliest stages known) was not available in the demo? All of this was just one massive coincidence and Sakurai had "no idea" he was leading us on?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well Sakurai did say bosses would appear on other stages, not just Wily Castle.

Really, we should count on more bosses.
You know, after Ridley being teased as a boss, it would be rather interesting if the next confirmed boss is something other than Ridley.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
While this is true, it doesn't directly hurt Ridley. There are plenty of other opportunities for bosses, though. Kalos league hasn't been shown off officially yet. We haven't seen a DK or starfox stage. Hell, we could fight whispy woods. There are a lot of options.
I didn't say anything about Ridley- I was just pointing out the fact that Sakurai basically said "Yellow Devil isn't the only boss."

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman

I'm sorry I can't see it it was hard so can you help me to take a screenshot please

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Also, some more misdirection; Remember when Phosphora was confirmed to be just a trophy?

I'm just going to take this at face value, and assume that Sakurai would never, ever lie or misdirect us-

GAMERG0D

Smash Rookie
So I just wanted to say that I've read every page since the Smash direct and you guys have worked so hard to show evidence in Ridley's favor. Funnily enough I had a dream last night that Ridley was a stage hazard. Even though my gut tells me that Gematsu is it, I'm still holding out hope because of how Sakurai has hidden him with obscure angles and he's holding out on Pyrosphere.

Top Bottom