• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The whole Ridley is too big argument has always been weird to me. Metroid Prime 1 was my first Metroid game, and the bosses in that game are huge. Like, gigantic, wet your pants when they roar, big. These are abominations of nature, pushed past their limits by phaazon corruption and/or space pirate engineering.

Of all of them, however, Ridley was the scariest. and this was because he was, by far, the smallest (excluding the final final boss but I hadn't fought him yet). He was fast, harder to target, could snipe you from afar, and when you thought you had figured that out, he was clawing your face off.

idk, When people mention big metroid bosses, I think of the the hulking parasite queen, the enormous rooted flaahgra, the titan of a golem thardus , or the mutated omega pirate

But when I think of Ridley from Prime 1, the size comparison I imagine is more like this
And sure, maybe with that scale, he's too big, but it wouldn't take that big of a rescaling to make it perfect.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ridley also appears in the background of Planet Zebes in Smash 64, so he is in "smash bros"

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I just realized that there's so much wrong with this one statement.
  • Ridley is in Melee's opening cut-scene, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in the Subspace Emissary, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in trophy/sticker form, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in Smash 4, be it a boss battle or a playable character, so he is in "smash bros"
:3 and a little cameo on the Planet Zebes stage, so he is in "smash bros"

EDIT: oops I did not noticed that someone already said this...

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I support Ridley, but I just want to make sure the "no lava on the FD version of the stage" thing is true.

Can anyone tell if this is the FD version of the stage or not?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh crap, forgot about these.

Space Pirate Logs - Entry #3: Day 10
Once again, we're still without updates on the shadow incident. Our recent scans detected a bunch unusual specimens; a green reptilian or amphibian creature, a simian being wearing a cap, and a humanoid canine. Though nothing to say on the matter, some crew members seem to be unable to stop gushing at how adorable the latter specimen is. Creeps.

Space Pirate Logs - Entry #4: Day 13

While awaiting for further information on the matter, our most recent scans spotted something most interesting; a selection of melee weapons that fighters in the tournament will employ to have an easier time defeating their opponents. While one of them seem to be a common, run of the mill beam sword, the other is some kind of pole that produces a row of fiery spheres above it, forming a vaguely sword like fire weapon. The research team would be more than glad to examine this particular weapon for future usage on the Space Pirate arsenal...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...
But that would mean that the lava turns on and off, which usually suggests a hazard. It's confusing to me.
It seems likely that the Final Destination-version would have fewer overall features than the standard version, as the idea seems to be "less is more". I wouldn't (and won't) be surprised if (when) the lava turns out to be completely aesthetic and is only removed for aesthetic reasons.

Had Ridley's shadow been introduced in any other section than the "Big Ol' Characters That are Bosses on Levels" one, I would probably be a lot less skeptical of the "tricking" and "trolling". Sakurai is a maniac, and he'll do whatever he wants, how he wants. The fact that Ridley was the only character not directly deconfirmed means nothing beyond what you attribute to it. He probably knows how popular Ridley is, but couldn't be assed to make him playable, so he simply goes "OOOH, WE NEVER CONFIRMED HIM, SO YOU NEVER KNOOOOOOW".

It's a marketing ploy, and people do it all the time. It's exactly the same situation as when Mega Mewtwo Y was revealed, when the Pokemon people kept playing stupid and being all "OOOOH, WHO'S DIS MYSTERIOUS NEW POKEYMAN, I WONDER IF HE'S RELATED TO MEWTWO?!" despite the fact that it was obviously a new form of Mewtwo. Even GameFreak wouldn't be dumb enough to add a Mewthree.

I think the lot of you are setting yourselves up for a big disappointment. I know it's stupid, and Ridley is by far the most deserving character not yet added (barring perhaps K. Rool) (and is more deserving than several of schlubs we already have), but Sakurai will be Sakurai and we can only hope that his replacement will be a little more open to Ridley as a character.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I blame Metroid Fusion for truly beginning the bizarre notion that Ridley being huge was necessary. That he wasn't Ridley if he wasn't almost the size of the room.
Really? I blame run-of-the-mill fanbase stupidity. That's just me though.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
You sir, are ruining my mojo. I'll have to ask you to dress in drag and sing me songs of my youth to calm my nipples.

Now that we have that behind us, may we please see Ridleys newcomer trailer already (:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The other two Metroid ATs will be the two halfs of Ridley respectively. He's simply too big to fit in one trophy. It would kinda work like the Dragoon parts.
It almost sounds like you're implying that the dragoon is smaller than Ridley. Which would imply anything is smaller than Ridley

BLASPHEME

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm hoping the Meta-Ridley theme makes a comeback in Smash. Whether Ridley is playable or not. Still, I think he could have a chance, even if it's not as great as it was before hand. I just want to jump the gun one way or the other.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
What happens in the trailer is the following: Ridley very lazily goes across the screen in his other M design, command grabs Pikachu with a special as he restrains Pikachu with both his arms and legs, then Pikachu is thrusted out of his grasp, presumably by Ridley pushing him, and Ridley pursues.

As others have mentioned before, this is playable character behavior and a terrible boss. In addition, something people have not brought up is the fact that the clip was muted with the token Megaman music from the Yellow Devil section playing over it. There are specific sound effects that play when a character is grabbed and thrown, and quite honestly I think it’d be obvious if he were playable or not if we had sound. The decision to mute it is yet another thing that makes this obscenely suspicious.

The reaction is exactly what Sakurai would want to build up hype for the character, and he already trolled in the direct with Palutena and Mewtwo. I don’t even like Ridley (I’m a K. Rool guy), but I think it’s a lot more likely he’s in it than not. This would not be “letting Ridley fans down easy”, this would be taking a colossal dump on the face of a huge fandom.

Would’ve posted this a while ago if not for Crashboards.

AndreaAC

:0 oh....I'm going to start drawing more stuff later....so...I will leave this little thing

42A571_0D6FF011C7E58_001.gif

I think i loved the black/white/red colors on Ridley....

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
What happens in the trailer is the following: Ridley very lazily goes across the screen in his other M design, command grabs Pikachu with a special as he restrains Pikachu with both his arms and legs, then Pikachu is thrusted out of his grasp, presumably by Ridley pushing him, and Ridley pursues.

As others have mentioned before, this is playable character behavior and a terrible boss. In addition, something people have not brought up is the fact that the clip was muted with the token Megaman music from the Yellow Devil section playing over it. There are specific sound effects that play when a character is grabbed and thrown, and quite honestly I think it’d be obvious if he were playable or not if we had sound. The decision to mute it is yet another thing that makes this obscenely suspicious.

The reaction is exactly what Sakurai would want to build up hype for the character, and he already trolled in the direct with Palutena and Mewtwo. I don’t even like Ridley (I’m a K. Rool guy), but I think it’s a lot more likely he’s in it than not. This would not be “letting Ridley fans down easy”, this would be taking a colossal dump on the face of a huge fandom.

Would’ve posted this a while ago if not for Crashboards.
I mentioned it I think 2 times the fact that the clip was muted and I found that weird considering how it was not the case with yellow devil.

I agree about what you said and personally, i think he's more playable because of that but opinion aside, it is impossible to tell (which might be the whole mess Sakurai is trying in the first place: division to surprise more)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Um, does anyone have more Ridley related ideas for me to draw? i know i have 2 already, but i need something to warm up my Crazy Hand before it starts destroying things, and Omega is going to make it explode....
draw a valid reason for Ridley to be carrying Pikachu like in the direct

Would like to see that

AndreaAC

draw a valid reason for Ridley to be carrying Pikachu like in the direct

Would like to see that
xD you mean more valid than the one with Roidley carrying pikachu to get icecream together?...i think Roidley only wanted to hug the yellow rat...

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The whole Ridley is too big argument has always been weird to me. Metroid Prime 1 was my first Metroid game, and the bosses in that game are huge. Like, gigantic, wet your pants when they roar, big. These are abominations of nature, pushed past their limits by phaazon corruption and/or space pirate engineering.

Of all of them, however, Ridley was the scariest. and this was because he was, by far, the smallest (excluding the final final boss but I hadn't fought him yet). He was fast, harder to target, could snipe you from afar, and when you thought you had figured that out, he was clawing your face off.

idk, When people mention big metroid bosses, I think of the the hulking parasite queen, the enormous rooted flaahgra, the titan of a golem thardus , or the mutated omega pirate

But when I think of Ridley from Prime 1, the size comparison I imagine is more like this
And sure, maybe with that scale, he's too big, but it wouldn't take that big of a rescaling to make it perfect.
I realize the irony in me arguing against this, but I don't think it's that Ridley's necessarily small (using this as a reference), nor that the other bosses are big. I think the thing that mattered was how "larger than life" the boss battles themselves were. All the giant bosses were fought in equally giant rooms (save for Metroid Prime, but I feel like that was the point). Meta Ridley, however, defied the conventional boss fight style by taking place in a relatively small arena, yet the fight itself began in an open sky, with Ridley flying in/out from what seems like miles in just moments. Up until then, both 2D Ridley fights took place in a small room, even compared to other bosses (save Phantoon). So I guess 3D Ridley fights only add to that "larger than life" feeling you get when fighting him, which I actually feel accomplishes the opposite effect of fighting "big" Ridley in a small room (meaning even if he's big as ****, he seems like a much more likely idea to be scaled slightly down for something like Smash).

Just replace Gene with Sakurai. And everyone elsewhere the confirmed cast.
I was actually going to ask something similar to this as a request at some point. Ridley in the Villains Anonymous scene with Bowser/other Nintendo villains.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I realize the irony in me arguing against this, but I don't think it's that Ridley's necessarily small (using this as a reference), nor that the other bosses are big. I think the thing that mattered was how "larger than life" the boss battles themselves were. All the giant bosses were fought in equally giant rooms (save for Metroid Prime, but I feel like that was the point). Meta Ridley, however, defied the conventional boss fight style by taking place in a relatively small arena, yet the fight itself began in an open sky, with Ridley flying in/out from what seems like miles in just moments. Up until then, both 2D Ridley fights took place in a small room, even compared to other bosses (save Phantoon). So I guess 3D Ridley fights only add to that "larger than life" feeling you get when fighting him, which I actually feel accomplishes the opposite effect of fighting "big" Ridley in a small room (meaning even if he's big as ****, he seems like a much more likely idea to be scaled slightly down for something like Smash).
I mean, I agree with this in it's entirety, I don't think it's really taking away from my argument. I think we're looking at the same points from different angles.

The Meta Ridley fight still felt equally as epic the way it was staged, but you can't compare his size to say, Flaaghra. He may feel bigger, but a lot of that comes with the intimidation factor, following you the entire game, from the pirate ship, to the phendrana drifts, and finally, as you've reached the impact crater and are finally at your goal, he stands in your way once more, the feral guardian.

The other bosses drew their epicness from actually being much larger than life (maybe some more than others), and while Ridley definitely had some size to him, it definitely was not the factor which intimidated me that fight, and that fight intimidated me much more than the giant bosses.

I may not have used the best phrasing the first time 'round, hopefully the point I was trying to make is a little more clear now

Last edited:
Top Bottom