• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Unfortunately, no one was promptly shot. What a shame. The only thing that was lost is our...er...i don`t know how its called in english...patience...er...cool...er...i don`t know how its called.
I believe the term is "all of the above". :p

Also, I got bored, so I drew Ridley again in Miiverse:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It certainly seems that you've all had quite the...erm...interesting and totally not-at-all time wasting experiences since I left to get hooked on Blazblue: ChronoPhantasma. ...Huh...are there any casualties? Preferably any brain-cells?
Well, Nin10doUltra showed up here, so you may realize how merrily that went.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Well, Nin10doUltra showed up here, so you may realize how merrily that went.
As "Merrily" as tripping I bet...you all have my sincerest condolences.

Well, it's no skin off my back. After all, I believe the term is "In order to appreciate something that's truly good, you must look at the alternative...something that's truly bad".

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Is there something you wanted to tell me? :shades:
ER-- I WAS TOTALLY NOT BEING SARCASTIC, I SWEAR! WE DID HAVE FUN, PLS DON'T KILL ME.

Ha ha, just kidding.

Though, to my surprise, you were actually pretty cool headed back there. It was the other dude with a Little Mac avatar that was causing all the trouble.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I haven't been here in a while, but did anyone find out that the FD version of Pyrosphere lacks the lava in the background?

Maybe lava is a stage hazard....?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I haven't been here in a while, but did anyone find out that the FD version of Pyrosphere lacks the lava in the background?

Maybe lava is a stage hazard....?
Yes alot of people think this too.

http://i.imgur.com/GLyT8Im.png

I'm still thinking those purple things under the stage are gonna be a stage hazard too. They must serve a purpose. Sakurai is hiding all the details of this stage. Once Ridley is revealed at E3 as playable then Sakurai will tell us the real stage hazards.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yes alot of people think this too.

http://i.imgur.com/GLyT8Im.png

I'm still thinking those purple things under the stage are gonna be a stage hazard too. They must serve a purpose. Sakurai is hiding all the details of this stage. Once Ridley is revealed at E3 as playable then Sakurai will tell us the real stage hazards.
I believe those purple things are stabilizers to keep the stage intact somehow. ...Don't ask me, it just looks like that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It is my dream to take this posable Ridley model, granted to me by the mighty Angel of Glory, and use a 3D printing service to create my very own miniature (TO-SCALE!) Ridley figure. Probably with a Samus too.

But what pose? This is the greatest decision of my life.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It is my dream to take this posable Ridley model, granted to me by the mighty Angel of Glory, and use a 3D printing service to create my very own miniature (TO-SCALE!) Ridley figure. Probably with a Samus too.

@Angelglory 's pose with the bunny ears

because easter

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

Draw him like one of your French spacepirates....

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Ridley in a Bunny Hood while holding a Lip's Stick. :troll:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
To be honest, Ridley is THE wildcard. He Could be playable, he could not. There is evidence for both sides at this moment. Too Big seems to be a dying argument, its now the role as a boss. The lava, wonkiness of the shadow, and size proportions of it all lean towards playable, but its up in the air.

I want Ridley due to the fact he would be an interesting newcomer who deserves the 2nd/3rd Metroid slot (depending on ZSS views). Plain and simple. I want him only 2nd to King K Rool at the moment.

By the way @ TheNin10doUltra TheNin10doUltra , do you not desire Ridley do to thinking he would not work, and if so, do you see him as deserving to get in based on his series credentials? This is me just being curious, and welcome to the boards...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0159.JPG

I had to draw this....but i just couldn't put Ridley on Daisy's sport outfit...it is WAY too evil.....and Sketchy as always....

Last edited:

TypicalRidleyNurd

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RidleyLovur6969
To be honest, Ridley is THE wildcard. He Could be playable, he could not. There is evidence for both sides at this moment. Too Big seems to be a dying argument, its now the role as a boss. The lava, wonkiness of the shadow, and size proportions of it all lean towards playable, but its up in the air.

I want Ridley due to the fact he would be an interesting newcomer who deserves the 2nd/3rd Metroid slot (depending on ZSS views). Plain and simple. I want him only 2nd to King K Rool at the moment.

By the way @ TheNin10doUltra TheNin10doUltra , do you not desire Ridley do to thinking he would not work, and if so, do you see him as deserving to get in based on his series credentials? This is me just being curious, and welcome to the boards...
Well if you think about it, Sakurai doesn't have time to try and make configure Ridley playable in a certain form. This would just only result in delaying of Smash 4. Anyways I think Ridley should be shrunk to the size of a pebble!

Morbi

Scavenger

Yes, my sister believes he is the only 50/50 character depending on your interpretation. I am obviously one of his advocates; she on the other hand, is one of his detractors. The Pyrosphere quote was interpreted as playable Ridley by me, and stage-hazard Ridley by her. The Direct was interpreted as playable Ridley by me, and boss character by her. Whenever we try to debate the issue, we realize that there really isn't any evidence for or against the character. I mean, when I used to oppose the notion of playable Ridley, I would cite Sakurai and assert that "he wouldn't feel right" or "the 3DS version is most probably going to be lackluster." She honestly believes that Sakurai is incompetent enough to tease Ridley to the consumer base with no pay off. So you can really take it in any direction without being utterly fallacious.

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386

I understand what you mean. Ridley does deserve a spot in smash because you know hes the leader of the space pirates but he would look very absurd to me.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean Ridley deserving a spot in smash because you know hes the leader of the space pirates but he would look very absurd to me.
Who doesn`t in Nintendo`s games? Its mascot is a guy who jumps on walking mushrooms with fangs, turtles with wings, grows by eating mushrooms with eyes, saves princess Peach, etc.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I understand what you mean. Ridley does deserve a spot in smash because you know hes the leader of the space pirates but he would look very absurd to me.
If I knew nothing about Nintendo or Super Smash and someone told me all these characters were in a fighting game together.....

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/221/7/b/Super_Smash_Bros__Brawl_by_ChetRippo.png

I'd might say this whole cast of characters would look very absurd to me.....Ridley would fit in very well with the rest of these wacky characters.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Who doesn`t in Nintendo`s games? Its mascot is a guy who jumps on walking mushrooms with fangs, turtles with wings, grows by eating mushrooms with eyes, saves princess Peach, etc.
I think you know what he means.

I blame the way Ridley's been portrayed visually in the various games and the resulting disconnect between the games due to being on various systems. Not to mention Ridley's relevance is underplayed in the games 'cause they usually focused on gameplay.

I've said it many times, but as somebody who first got into Metroid from playing Super Metroid, Ridley was impressive, but his size was not one of things that impressed me. There were plenty of bosses larger than Ridley. I also happened to like almost ALL the bosses for different reasons.

Ridley - The "Unstoppable Intimidator" boss
Torizo - The "big surprise/trap boss"
Spore Spawn - The "bizarre looking plant" boss with that smooth theme"
Kraid - THE "Giant boss"
Crocomire - The melty-skinned lava boss (I really liked him)
Phantoon - The extra-bizarre eyeball-mouth boss that was supposed to be extra-difficult (I also really liked him)
Draygon - The large-yet-FAST boss that dies to Grappling Hook (unfortunately)

And of course...

Ridley - The boss that both it and you go all out against each other until there is ONLY ONE... (admittedly, the first time I got to this point my friend played it. Not 'cause it was hard, but 'cause I couldn't find my way further through Lower Norfair, he showed me, then he just kind of kept on playing... =/)

And there's Mother Brain of course. But point is, every boss had their own unique feel to them. And "huge" was something that really only belonged to Kraid. He was HUGE. He flaunted it. Almost everyone else was large because they're bosses and bosses were supposed to be large. Otherwise they'd just be thought of as normal-sized enemies that sponge bullets and have special background music themes.

I blame Metroid Fusion for truly beginning the bizarre notion that Ridley being huge was necessary. That he wasn't Ridley if he wasn't almost the size of the room. Metroid Zero Mission only helped this when once again they made Ridley unusually large (and lanky).

My problem with those two renditions: BOTH of them were easy and not nearly as opposing as in Super Metroid when he was smaller. SM Ridley was small enough that you could clear a jump over him. But it also meant he could be agile and aggressive and attack ruthlessly. And we LOVE that about Ridley. Fusion and ZM Ridley? Much larger and forced to move more predictably. Not nearly as engaging.

The 3D Metroids? Funnily enough the story's pretty similar. Prime 1 Meta-Ridley more or less is scaled similarly to Super Metroid Ridley sans the extra-large wings. Fast, agile, made for a great fight. Prime 3 Meta-Ridley? This is the one and ONLY time Ridley's sized is actually used to his advantage. And for what? A simple game of "shoot the flashing spots before Ridley slashes or bites ya". Did the job of helping the player get used tot he controls, but didn't do Ridley himself any favors. Jump far ahead to Omega Ridley where he's actually diminished in scale for the fight. Size once again is a mute attribute, yet he does just fine with a slew of attacks never before seen from our favorite Pirate leader.

...Oh, and Other M Ridley is pretty much a summarized version of the same situation: Size only used during cutscene. Otherwise muted during actual combat. Abilities and threatening factor comes from combative abilities, not from being large.

Finally and ultimately (as far as I'm concerned), the canon Metroid E-Manga has Ridley at a size that's actually somewhat smaller than even Super Metroid Ridley, and yet Ridley hold up extremely well as a brutal and wicked creature.

I honestly think people who want to categorize Ridley's size as so important that making him smaller would ruin him just weren't that interested in him to begin with as a character. He's just a video game boss to them.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Its not the fire ball throwing plumbers, its not the bodiless pink blob that copies your powers, its not the the physic large headed children, its not the gaint gorilla wearing a tie, its not the anthropomorphic space animals, its not the the console robot, its not the flat bodied silhouette, its not the blue super fast hedgehog wearing shoes, its not the penguin with thumbs carring a gaint hammer, its not the green MALE dinosaur who eats you and lays eggs, its not the angel boy, its not the spiked turtle who breaths fire (Could keep going) BUT its the purple space pterodactyl who is outlandish correct? I just wanna be sure.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Its not the fire ball throwing plumbers, its not the bodiless pink blob that copies your powers, its not the the physic large headed children, its not the gaint gorilla wearing a tie, its not the anthropomorphic space animals, its not the the console robot, its not the flat bodied silhouette, its not the blue super fast hedgehog wearing shoes, its not the penguin with thumbs carring a gaint hammer, its not the green MALE dinosaur who eats you and lays eggs, its not the angel boy, its not the spiked turtle who breaths fire (Could keep going) BUT its the purple space pterodactyl who is outlandish correct? I just wanna be sure.
Because he's BIGGER!

He's bigger than we used... to be...

...WAIT...!

(cookie if you guess the reference!)

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Like I said Ridley will not be in smash bros.
I just realized that there's so much wrong with this one statement.
  • Ridley is in Melee's opening cut-scene, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in the Subspace Emissary, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in trophy/sticker form, so he is in "smash bros"
  • Ridley is in Smash 4, be it a boss battle or a playable character, so he is in "smash bros"

Top Bottom