• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Good point wow why didn't I think of that. If there were 2 characters Ridley seemed to be picking on Pikachu.
Seems weird Ridley is cool calm collected with one fighter, while the other just chills somewhere in the distance. Don't know if this was just a test model so they could get away with only 1 fighter, but still strange.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
One thing I've thought about: who is Pikachu supposed to be fighting? You have to have 2 characters in a match, so where is the hidden person if Ridley is indeed a boss?
The second player could be off screen...? I mean, the camera is rather zoomed in, the stage is fairly decently sized, and there are platforms at the edge of the arena that the second character could be located at. So, if he is a boss, there's that against him being a playable character.

Maybe a slight glimmer of hope for Ridley supporters (I'm indifferent to the cause personally):

Watch the section from about 9:50 to 10:34 minutes (with or without sounds)

For those who don't see what I'm getting at, or those who don't wish to watch the video, here's what I mean: The video points out that we get our first look at the Pyrosphere's Final Destination form. It has no lava/magma. If Final Destination forms of stages remove stage hazards and there is no lava/magma, does that make it the stage hazard? If so, why would Ridley also be a stage hazard-boss if there is already a stage hazard?

Granted this is easily debunked. The aesthetic of lava/magma may be removed to be less distracting. Ridley may only show up when lava/magma is not being used as the hazard.

As far as I know, there has never been a stage with more than one very present stage hazard. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So again, why are you guys trying to have a discussion with people that literally created accounts just so they could run over here and start crap?

People who completely lack the ability to think critically?

In any other situation I'd step in and expose these guys, but they exposed themselves right from the start. I'm just waiting for you guys to catch up and GET ON MY LEVEL!!!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
So again, why are you guys trying to have a discussion with people that literally created accounts just so they could run over here and start crap?

In any other situation I'd step in and expose these guys, but they exposed themselves right from the start. I'm just waiting for you guys to catch up and GET ON MY LEVEL!!!
Are they supposed to be infamous around here?

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

The reason is that we're all bored, and will probably remain that way until new information concerning Ridley in SSB4 comes to light. 8D

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386

I came in and asked a question. You didn't answer.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087

Is it always this bad here?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The second player could be off screen...? I mean, the camera is rather zoomed in, the stage is fairly decently sized, and there are platforms at the edge of the arena that the second character could be located at. So, if he is a boss, there's that against him being a playable character.

Maybe a slight glimmer of hope for Ridley supporters (I'm indifferent to the cause personally):

Watch the section from about 9:50 to 10:34 minutes (with or without sounds)

For those who don't see what I'm getting at, or those who don't wish to watch the video, here's what I mean: The video points out that we get our first look at the Pyrosphere's Final Destination form. It has no lava/magma. If Final Destination forms of stages remove stage hazards and there is no lava/magma, does that make it the stage hazard? If so, why would Ridley also be a stage hazard-boss if there is already a stage hazard?

Granted this is easily debunked. The aesthetic of lava/magma may be removed to be less distracting. Ridley may only show up when lava/magma is not being used as the hazard.

As far as I know, there has never been a stage with more than one very present stage hazard. I could be wrong though.
But wouldn't this be more distracting?

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/5/5b/SSB4_WiiU_FinalDestination.jpg

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, to be fair, the information shown at the Direct is so vague, one can't come up with a definitive answer. I mean, there are some observations that people made that may lead one to believe that Ridley may not be, in fact, a boss, but a playable character. Such observations include Ridley's behavior, which doesn't seem to stay to true to that of other Smash Bros bosses, or the fact that lava may actually be the stage's main hazard, rather than Ridley.

But honestly, it's all too vague to truly verify Ridley's status. So for now, we're in some kind of a "playable/hazard until proven otherwise" mood. Not jumping into conclusions until Sakurai states the final words on the situation.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Is it always this bad here?
Naw... When the right people are around.

Problem is almost everyone experienced with this typical troll attack is not around, those who are are too bored not to fall for it (Sehnsucht, I was well aware you guys were bored. I actually wanted to suggest occupying yourselves with other things instead of further engaging these folk), and this sort of thing will occasionally occur unfortunately.

And yes, it makes this thread look bad, which is why I try to keep wise to it and address it accordingly.

I'm not against discussion at all. I just know when somebody is earnest and when somebody is just starting trouble.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
No one is bashing ridley, he simply doesn't belong in a fighting game especially smash bros
Guys seriously...leave him alone...hes right....this is a fighting game its not a place for big dragons and charizard doesnt count because hes fire/flying so hes safe.

Guys we got more important things to worry about than new people joining this thread we still have that guy who slipped this character into the last two smash games before they were publicly released we catch this guy.

What stupid jerk puts in a character from a racing game who into a fighting game?

What a idiot.........

Dont worry Peter my boy i got your back from all these stupid Ridley fanboys

- FakeTalk -

hidden05.jpg

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Ya better get use to seeing that little mac icon. I am not going anywhere. I am here to stay to. Like I said Ridley will not be in smash bros.
Do you have nothing better to do than sit in front of your computer and insult Ridley fans?
Have fun with that, have a nice life.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I dunno, normal Final Destination gets free pass, no?
jk
Really, it may have more to do with how it's presented in the stage. Pyrosphere's lava may be more noticeable with its (somewhat) stagnant location and Final Destination works because...meh, however it worked in Brawl and Melee (and 64, but we don't talk about that). You bring up a good point though.

Last edited:

_fiercedeity

Smash Apprentice
Do you have nothing better to do than sit in front of your computer and insult Ridley fans?
Have fun with that, have a nice life.
Seriously. It's people like him that make me hope Ridley is in so he can eat his ****ing words.

But anyways, let's move on.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Sure is 12 years old in here :v

EDIT: Yay, my first warning! Now I feel like a true Smashboarder :p

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Guys seriously...leave him alone...hes right....this is a fighting game its not a place for big dragons and charizard doesnt count because hes fire/flying so hes safe.

Guys we got more important things to worry about than new people joining this thread we still have that guy who slipped this character into the last two smash games before they were publicly released we catch this guy.

What stupid jerk puts in a character from a racing game who into a fighting game?

What a idiot.........

- FakeTalk -

View attachment 12704
But Mega Charizard is fire/dragon

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Warning Received
-snort-

"I'm insecure so I have to force my opinions on other people to make myself feel better!"

I don't think Ridley has a snowball's chance in hell in Smash 4 anymore, but it's people like you that make the Ridley hatebase look like a bunch of whiny 13-year-olds with tiny penises, clamoring for attention to satisfy their Aspergian urges to make idiots of themselves on the internet.

Sure is 12 years old in here :v
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Last edited:

Peter5747

Smash Cadet
Warning Received

What a idiot.........

- FakeTalk -

View attachment 12704
LMAO the sensitivity

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'll give a quick answer. Which is more trolly: Hinting with all the subtlety of an anvil that Ridley is a hazard. And then revealing him as a hazard. Or hinting with all the subtlety of an anvil that Ridley is a hazard, and then revealing that he's both a hazard and a character. I still believe the second is possible, as Game Xplain video says the hazard version looks like Other M Ridley, which means we could get something like the Melee opening version as a character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'll give a quick answer. Which is more trolly: Hinting with all the subtlety of an anvil that Ridley is a hazard. And then revealing him as a hazard. Or hinting with all the subtlety of an anvil that Ridley is a hazard, and then revealing that he's both a hazard and a character. I still believe the second is possible, as Game Xplain video says the hazard version looks like Other M Ridley, which means we could get something like the Melee opening version as a character.
Yeah, Sakurai isn't dumb. If Ridley is playable, or if he was ever considered and then put to one side, I don't doubt for a second that it was/is the original Ridley design that got considered. Sakurai was clever in choosing Megaman's classic design because he knew that one was the one that resonated more with the hearts of gamers - and likewise, I imagine Sakurai knows what the general consensus is for 'New Coke' Ridley.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, Sakurai isn't dumb. If Ridley is playable, or if he was ever considered and then put to one side, I don't doubt for a second that it was/is the original Ridley design that got considered. Sakurai was clever in choosing Megaman's classic design because he knew that one was the one that resonated more with the hearts of gamers - and likewise, I imagine Sakurai knows what the general consensus is for 'New Coke' Ridley.
Heh, 'New Coke' Ridley. :p

You know it has me curious. I'm 99% sure it's Other M Ridley's shadow in the video as indicated by the tail tip, the girth of the tail, and the two spiky protrusions on the shadow's right arm. Having noticed all of that, why can't we detect the shape of OM Ridley's wide triangular snout? I find it hard to believe that clunky head of his doesn't cast a shadow while almost every other part of him does.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Doubt it. I wouldn't call the decision dumb, but keeping Ridley as Other M Ridley (or a slight redesign thereof) even if he were playable would make more sense *coughconsistancycoughcough*. It would fit more in line with the mindset he seems in where "All-characters-fit-in-with-the-same-style-based-off-of-what-is-being-used-for-that-series" (i.e. Samus is based off of Other M Samus, thus Other M Ridley would be the base of a playable Ridley. "Based off" being the key words).

Mega Man is that way because Sakurai wanted to be respectful to Mega Man as a character in the game, with the Classic appearance being the most well-liked, and Mega Man will be the only playable character from his series in all likelihood.

Assist trophies, items, and stages (i.e. Skyward Sword items/stage for Zelda, but TP Character designs) do not affect this.

Heh, 'New Coke' Ridley. :p

You know it has me curious. I'm 99% sure it's Other M Ridley's shadow in the video as indicated by the tail tip, the girth of the tail, and the two spiky protrusions on the shadow's right arm. Having noticed all of that, why can't we detect the shape of OM Ridley's wide triangular snout? I find it hard to believe that clunky head of his doesn't cast a shadow while almost every other part of him does.
Perhaps the head is in a position where the head portion of the shadow is obscured by the rest of the shadow? Maybe it's a glitch?

edit: Thanks to whoever realized that I double posted and fixed that.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright calm down people. I don't want to hand out more infractions than it looks like I already have to.

If you're hear just to say negative things and create a scene then please take your thoughts to the Unpopular Opinions Thread.

Since it takes two to argue, please stay respectful of the other people's viewpoints as well.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Doubt it. I wouldn't call the decision dumb, but keeping Ridley as Other M Ridley (or a slight redesign thereof) even if he were playable would make more sense. It would fit more in line with the mindset he seems in where "All-characters-fit-in-with-the-same-style-based-off-of-what-is-being-used-for-that-series" (i.e. Samus is based off of Other M Samus, thus Other M Ridley would be the based of a playable Ridley. "Based off" being the key words).

Mega Man is that way because Sakurai wanted to be respectful to Mega Man as a character in the game, with the Classic appearance being the most well-liked, and Mega Man will be the only playable character from his series in all likelihood.

Assist trophies, items, and stages (i.e. Skyward Sword items/stage for Zelda, but TP Character designs) do not affect this.
Except Zero-Suit Samus hardly appears to be based off of Other M at all. Her hair seems lighter (though it could just be the art-style), her facial structure is different and then of course, there's the fact that she's freakin' Bayonetta now. She's more like Brawl Zero Suit, with bells and whistles attached.

Besides, Other M Ridley and original Ridley are two different beasts entirely. Old-school Ridley with the Other M art style isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility - like how they had Sheik in Twilight Princess style.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Except Zero-Suit Samus hardly appears to be based off of Other M at all. Her hair seems lighter (though it could just be the art-style), her facial structure is different and then of course, there's the fact that she's freakin' Bayonetta now. She's more like Brawl Zero Suit, with bells and whistles attached.

Besides, Other M Ridley and original Ridley are two different beasts entirely. Old-school Ridley with the Other M art style isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility - like how they had Sheik in Twilight Princess style.
Yes, but the zero suit Zero Suit Samus is wearing is based off of the Other M version (jet boots notwithstanding).
Her hair color only seems to be an affect of the art-style, as you said.
But you are right: an amalgam variation is most likely (unless... 'cuz Sakurai...I dunno). Sakurai does seem to enjoy making modified character designs based off of other versions...

About the Sheik, though. Sheik's design is basically Twilight Princess concept art turned into a 3 Dimensional model.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

From this picture its looking like a hybrid design. I'm seeing his classic 2 toes but Other M Ridley has 3 front toes. Waaaay skinner then Other M Ridley. Other M Ridley makes Smash 4 Ridley feel dinky but Smash 4 Ridley is mostly based on Other M.

Smash 4 Ridley and Pikachu shadow

http://declantyson.net/assets/uploads/2014-04-10/ridley.jpg

Other M Ridley.

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/14354733/images/big2/otherm_0812.jpg

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't feel like calling the IRS, but all you many uninteresting fellows aren't giving me much of an option for other things I can do.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
From this picture its looking like a hybrid design. I'm seeing his classic 2 toes but Other M Ridley has 3 front toes. Waaaay skinner then Other M Ridley. Other M Ridley makes Smash 4 Ridley feel dinky but Smash 4 Ridley is mostly based on Other M.

Smash 4 Ridley and Pikachu shadow

http://declantyson.net/assets/uploads/2014-04-10/ridley.jpg

Other M Ridley.

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/14354733/images/big2/otherm_0812.jpg
That shadow's kinda hard to read, but...
I see what you're getting at. Sooooo, which sounds better? "Hybrid Design Now Playable Ridley Evidence?" Or "Boss Characters Now Have Redesigned Appearances?"

I don't feel like calling the IRS, but all you many uninteresting fellows aren't giving me much of an option for other things I can do.
The IRS? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *flees*

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I see what you're getting at. Sooooo, which sounds better? "Hybrid Design Now Playable Ridley Evidence?" Or "Boss Characters Now Have Redesigned Appearances?"

The IRS? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *flees*
I think it helps him as playable....I mean Yellow Devil, Ultimate Ghost, and Kotake and Koume all look the same from there original games. (Not saying there all bosses) Why give Ridley this super changed up look plus make him so tiny especially when Pyrosphere is such a large stage?

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I think it helps him as playable....I mean Yellow Devil, Ultimate Ghost, and Kotake and Koume all look the same from there original games. (Not saying there all bosses) Why give Ridley this super changed up look plus make him so tiny especially when Pyrosphere is such a large stage?
Makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Just sooo many questions we could ask. Let me name some of them.....Why is Ridley so small?, Why is Ridley off the steroids?, Why isn't Ridley doing anything with the Pikachu he is holding? (I remember someone here joking saying Ridley isn't attacking Pikachu he is just picking him up for ice cream), Why did Sakurai show Pyrosphere off 8 months ago but no sign of Ridley?, Why won't Sakurai say Ridley's name?, Why would Sakurai just show off a shadow?......The list can just keep going on and on really.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Just sooo many questions we could ask. Let me name some of them.....Why is Ridley so small?, Why is Ridley off the steroids?, Why isn't Ridley doing anything with the Pikachu he is holding? (I remember someone here joking saying Ridley isn't attacking Pikachu he is just picking him up for ice cream), Why did Sakurai show Pyrosphere off 8 months ago but no sign of Ridley?, Why won't Sakurai say Ridley's name?, Why would Sakurai just show off a shadow?......The list can just keep going on and on really.
Two words:
Because Sakurai.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Wow, what happen here.....Oh, I see.

Come on guys! I have seen better Ridley detractors.

As I said before I'll remain neutral. At first sight it seems like he will be a Boss/Stage Hazard, but if he is that why just not show him as a whole? Why only show his shadow? and until now Sakurai has never mentioned Ridley by his name. I don't think he will tease a character so hard just for it to be a Boss/Stage Hazard, but in the end I don't know, Sakurai is a master troll predict him is like try predict the unpredictable.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Wow, what happen here.....Oh, I see.

Come on guys! I have seen better Ridley detractors.

As I said before I'll remain neutral. At first sight it seems like he will be a Boss/Stage Hazard, but if he is that why just not show him as a whole? Why only show his shadow? and until now Sakurai has never mentioned Ridley by his name. I don't think he will tease a character so hard just for it to be a Boss/Stage Hazard, but in the end I don't know, Sakurai is a master troll predict him is like try predict the unpredictable.
Ridley was a boss in Brawl (Twice) so I don't see the point of hyping something up we have seen before in the past.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Weeell technically, if Ridley is planned to be similar to Yellow Devil, then it won't be something we've seen before in the past. Ridley was a boss in Brawl, but only during its adventure mode and under a different set of rules. This would be a boss being inserted into regular battle.

But it does still stand: It's not exactly is or was going to be a surprise for Ridley to appear on Pyrosphere. Not after that message he gave on the Pyrosphere reveal PotD.

Top Bottom