• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I still have the same opinion I did months ago

If Ridley is playable, and that is a big if, he's going to be a hidden character. He won't be revealed until the game's launch, or right if the roster is leaked, like the hidden characters in brawl, wolf, toon link, and a few more.
I don't understand this logic.....That be like keeping Mega Man a secret (Not saying Ridley is as popular as Mega Man) its just terrible marketing. You want people to know what popular wanted characters are in the game. Thats sells copies and I don't think you can compare Ridley to tacked on clones like Toon Link and Wolf.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't understand this logic.....That be like keeping Mega Man a secret (Not saying Ridley is as popular as Mega Man) its just terrible marketing. You want people to know what popular wanted characters are in the game. Thats sells copies and I don't think you can compare Ridley to tacked on clones like Toon Link and Wolf.
Ok, but on the flip side of the coin... would you call sakurai's bluff? It's impossible understand that guy's thought processes. I was only able to name toon link and wolf, but nearly 90% of the locked characters in brawl weren't revealed on the website until after the game's release, including C. Falcon, I'm pretty sure.

If you Subscribe to the mentality of the FORMER, then how can anything at all be confirmed at this point when you can just selectively believe anything.

OH YEAH THAT SAKI AMAMIYA I REALLY LIKE HIM I THINK HE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE HE'D BE REALLY COOL BUT LIKE HE LOOKS LIKE HE COULD BE PLAYABLE, MOVES AROUND LIKE HE COULD BE, DOESN'T MATTER THAT HE WAS DEMONSTRATED DURING A PART OF THE VIDEO RELATED TO ASSIST TROPHIES BECAUSE Y'KNOW SAKURAI IS A TROLL XDDD!
woah, cool yourSelf down

From Sakurai's comments about assist trophies only displaying at 30 FPS as opposed to 60, we can definitely confirm what were assist trophies and what weren't

You know the difference between the former's mentality and things Sakurai outright said in the video. Just because you're too afraid of the pain of loss to have more hope doesn't mean lashing out is the right answer bby ;)

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Ok, but on the flip side of the coin... would you call sakurai's bluff? It's impossible understand that guy's thought processes. I was only able to name toon link and wolf, but nearly 90% of the locked characters in brawl weren't revealed on the website until after the game's release, including C. Falcon, I'm pretty sure.

woah, cool yourSelf down

From Sakurai's comments about assist trophies only displaying at 30 FPS as opposed to 60, we can definitely confirm what were assist trophies and what weren't

You know the difference between the former's mentality and things Sakurai outright said in the video. Just because you're too afraid of the pain of loss to have more hope doesn't mean lashing out is the right answer bby ;)
Sakurai does work in mysterious ways. I just feel some veterans and clone characters can be secret but just not a newcomer who will have a completely original moveset and bring so much hype a secret. It would just be a stupid move on Sakurai's part. If he is in the game then E3 is his time. If you end up right though then kudos to you. xD Thats a bold prediction in my mind.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
If you Subscribe to the mentality of the FORMER, then how can anything at all be confirmed at this point when you can just selectively believe anything.

OH YEAH THAT SAKI AMAMIYA I REALLY LIKE HIM I THINK HE SHOULD BE PLAYABLE HE'D BE REALLY COOL BUT LIKE HE LOOKS LIKE HE COULD BE PLAYABLE, MOVES AROUND LIKE HE COULD BE, DOESN'T MATTER THAT HE WAS DEMONSTRATED DURING A PART OF THE VIDEO RELATED TO ASSIST TROPHIES BECAUSE Y'KNOW SAKURAI IS A TROLL XDDD!
While nothing has been officially 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt confirmed (it has only been deliberately heavily implied)... yes, I agree. Ridley is probably a boss at this point.

It is pretty easy to look for and find evidence that confirms your biases. If you're looking to prove Ridley is playable, you will find things that can cast doubt on his boss status. Looking at the direct as a whole, and looking at the original Pyrosphere Miiverse post which implied that there was an enemy from Samus's past that would appear in the stage... Looking at those facts together make it seem like Ridley is restricted to the stage.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I love Microsoft Paint! That's what I grew up using. Do you have a DeviantArt account?
:( nope, I do not have...but i could post the drawng again if you want to see it, because it is hundreds of pages back...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
While nothing has been officially 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt confirmed (it has only been deliberately heavily implied)... yes, I agree. Ridley is probably a boss at this point.

It is pretty easy to look for and find evidence that confirms your biases. If you're looking to prove Ridley is playable, you will find things that can cast doubt on his boss status. Looking at the direct as a whole, and looking at the original Pyrosphere Miiverse post which implied that there was an enemy from Samus's past that would appear in the stage... Looking at those facts together make it seem like Ridley is restricted to the stage.
You talk about trying to avoid bias, but fall into the same traps yourself. Sure, your set of facts, when viewed alone, definitely would make a person think Ridley is a boss. But lets add some other facts to that list

1. Sakurai trolled us hard with Little Mac's reveal by creating a version of his stage with no affiliations to his franchise, and showed it off as far back as the original trailer. Only once the character was revealed was it shown that there was a second version of the stage. Troll count - 1

2. Although Sakurai has many times suggested things about Ridley, he has also never mentioned Ridley by name, the audio was cut when Ridley's shadow was shown, there have been a ton of smoke and mirrors surrounding Ridley's role from the start. To what end, is not known.

3. During the Nintendo direct, he outright said he cut ZSS, moments before revealing her. Troll count - 2

4. The Palutena trophy. Self explanatory. Troll count - 3

After reviewing all of these facts, it becomes a little harder to draw a concrete conclusion.

To be fair, I'm playing devil's advocate here, I honestly believe Ridley is most likely a boss at this point. But the fact of the matter is Sakurai is a huge troll and we won't know for sure until it has been revealed.

Sakurai does work in mysterious ways. I just feel some veterans and clone characters can be secret but just not a newcomer who will have a completely original moveset and bring so much hype a secret. It would just be a stupid move on Sakurai's part. If he is in the game then E3 is his time. If you end up right though then kudos to you. xD Thats a bold prediction in my mind.
I could definitely see it happening at E3 this year, either through Sakurai's decision, or Nintendo's. But I think I'll stick to my guns on this one

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I want you to imagine you are a giant. And you are on an island with a volcano. You share this island with your friend, another giant. Every time this volcano erupts, you have to fight your friend. You two have been battling each other like this for decades.

And one day, you finally strike down your friend. Have you won? Have you lost?

DON'T TRY TO UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL, YOU WAXY *******.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
:( nope, I do not have...but i could post the drawng again if you want to see it, because it is hundreds of pages back...
If you want to, otherwise PM me all of your Ridley art.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yes I do believe ridley would have to be unlocked but ridley can easily get a special case at E3 due to usa wanting him and this is at usa and one of the E3 days can be simular to the smash direct in April

Anyway I'm going to work on a picture with Ridleys tip and pikachu in the picture for a good estimate of his size

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I want you to imagine you are a giant. And you are on an island with a volcano. You share this island with your friend, another giant. Every time this volcano erupts, you have to fight your friend. You two have been battling each other like this for decades.

Oh Oasis, I can read you like a book. A book of one piece. Volume 13.

This story also kinda shares similarities with Lost.

AndreaAC

If you want to, otherwise PM me all of your Ridley art.
O__O um, all of it? it is a LOT... :3 but at least I will show you the drawing i was talking about....

408042_247365315345045_2022710848_n.jpg

Like i said before....sketch by pencil...scanned and colored in paint....and the Metroid sprites and Ridley's name made using the eraser... oh, the desert symbol is because i literally live on one...and yeah, 3 days

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
O__O um, all of it? it is a LOT... :3 but at least I will show you the drawing i was talking about....

View attachment 12818

Like i said before....sketch by pencil...scanned and colored in paint....and the Metroid sprites and Ridley's name made using the eraser... oh, the desert symbol is because i literally live on one...and yeah, 3 days
Realistically, instead of PMing one person all your stuff, you should honestly either create an art thread here or a deviant art account. It would be both much easier on you and everyone else who wanted to see your awesome stuff.

p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4

Smash Cadet
NNID
le-harlz
3DS FC
4227-0851-7533

Would you happening to referencing One Piece?

AndreaAC

Realistically, instead of PMing one person all your stuff, you should honestly either create an art thread here or a deviant art account. It would be both much easier on you and everyone else who wanted to see your awesome stuff.
Well, i may do one years later, until my works look more professional....an art thread? I do not think im going to like reposting all my drawings again.... :c sorry...

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
You talk about trying to avoid bias, but fall into the same traps yourself. Sure, your set of facts, when viewed alone, definitely would make a person think Ridley is a boss. But lets add some other facts to that list

1. Sakurai trolled us hard with Little Mac's reveal by creating a version of his stage with no affiliations to his franchise, and showed it off as far back as the original trailer. Only once the character was revealed was it shown that there was a second version of the stage. Troll count - 1
I honestly don't see this as intended misdirecting. Plenty of people thought that the Boxing stage was a Punch-Out stage. Showing it doesn't necessarily suggest one thing or another about Little Mac.
2. Although Sakurai has many times suggested things about Ridley, he has also never mentioned Ridley by name, the audio was cut when Ridley's shadow was shown, there have been a ton of smoke and mirrors surrounding Ridley's role from the start. To what end, is not known.
I don't feel like the audio being cut has any significance. I mean, for one reason or another we know he's trying to be mysterious about this, so it would make sense for them not to give away any audio of Ridley.
3. During the Nintendo direct, he outright said he cut ZSS, moments before revealing her. Troll count - 2

4. The Palutena trophy. Self explanatory. Troll count - 3
The ZSS thing doesn't really work- I mean he did show it only a few seconds later, so he didn't leave suspense like this. I do think that the Palutena thing could be a genuine tease, though. But about the troll count- is the point that Sakurai plays with the expectations of his fans? Because there's no denying that. However, I think it's safer to keep expectations in check, rather than bank on Sakurai defying our expectations.
After reviewing all of these facts, it becomes a little harder to draw a concrete conclusion.
Hence why I used the terms "not 100%" and "probably." While I might seem like I'm being negative, I'm trying to be realistic while giving all of the pro-Ridley arguments a lot of consideration rather than dismissing them outright.

Rest assured, I'm not trying to be biased. I reevaluate my position literally every time somebody comes up with a new argument here before I make any judgments. Ridley being in would be nifty.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Just registered, mostly to actually be able to see attachments, but hey, might as well throw down a post.

Personally, I'm not incredibly invested in Ridley's potential inclusion, but I definitely enjoy reading all the speculation and rumors being thrown around about potential characters, and there's a lot of that going on here with Ridley, especially now with this "shadow war" the Direct gave birth to. A bit too much nastiness going on here over the whole matter, admittedly, but the reasoned, non-flamey stuff is fun to read.

Assuming a POTD doesn't end up laying the matter to rest between now and then, E3 is likely where Ridley's fate will become certain, or at least close to it. If he's not given a newcomer trailer, the Wii U version will probably be playable on the show floor, and Pyrosphere seems likely to be one of the stages playable; if so, and Ridley is the stage boss, then players will be reporting the bad news fairly quickly (likely with video evidence). But if there is no Ridley announcement AND either Pyrosphere isn't playable OR it is playable but Ridley never shows up during the course of the event, then things will still be largely uncertain, but we could be much more confident in saying that he could be an unlockable character. But until then, I don't think we'll be drawing any definite conclusions from the material we currently have.

Anyway, put me down as a supporter, if not a 100% believer. Ridley seems like he could be pretty fun to play, especially if he ends up as Little Mac's opposite as a few have suggested.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly don't see this as intended misdirecting. Plenty of people thought that the Boxing stage was a Punch-Out stage. Showing it doesn't necessarily suggest one thing or another about Little Mac. I don't feel like the audio being cut has any significance. I mean, for one reason or another we know he's trying to be mysterious about this, so it would make sense for them not to give away any audio of Ridley.
The ZSS thing doesn't really work- I mean he did show it only a few seconds later, so he didn't leave suspense like this. I do think that the Palutena thing could be a genuine tease, though. But about the troll count- is the point that Sakurai plays with the expectations of his fans? Because there's no denying that. However, I think it's safer to keep expectations in check, rather than bank on Sakurai defying our expectations. Hence why I used the terms "not 100%" and "probably." While I might seem like I'm being negative, I'm trying to be realistic while giving all of the pro-Ridley arguments a lot of consideration rather than dismissing them outright.

Rest assured, I'm not trying to be biased. I reevaluate my position literally every time somebody comes up with a new argument here before I make any judgments. Ridley being in would be nifty.
I mean I could argue details forever but I think we're pretty much seeing eye to eye here on the big point so I won't bother

here's to hoping

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The size comparison doesn't actually help though because Ridley's tail is too close to the screen and looks bigger because of it.
This something I just tough like just look at this

Imagine pickachu here would that feel like, for an hazard WAY TOO BIG? (literally it would feel way too big because if the tail is 2-3 pickachu, imagine the whole model it makes no sense).

He's clearly messing with us by putting an angle way zoomed in.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
The size comparison doesn't actually help though because Ridley's tail is too close to the screen and looks bigger because of it.
I don't know, it's probably safe to assume that Ridley's tail is on the same plane as Pikachu; camera proximity might not be that big of a factor in this case. Perhaps a shot of Pikachu at the same point as Ridley's tail (with the tail overlaid) might assist in confirming whether this is the case?

AndreaAC

:/ god i wish i know how much smaller they made the Geothermal Power plant....does this help for something?
Geotherrmal_Power_Plant_Grapple_Beam_Point_Pyrosphere_HD.jpg

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
This something I just tough like just look at this

Imagine pickachu here would that feel like, for an hazard WAY TOO BIG? (literally it would feel way too big because if the tail is 2-3 pickachu, imagine the whole model it makes no sense).

He's clearly messing with us by putting an angle way zoomed in.
Yes Sakurai clearly wants us to think Ridley is way bigger then he actually is. B-b-but I wonder why he would do that??? ;)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yes Sakurai clearly wants us to think Ridley is way bigger then he actually is. B-b-but I wonder why he would do that??? ;)
assuming this is just speculation based on interpretation, I think he's trolling basically he will be in the game but not as an hazard.

I mean cmon, he knew about waluigi, megaman and he probably knew about the famous too big argument. He knows the trend and I think he's faking that he's too big.

Also, isn't that weird that the main argument of the haters can be used to tell the opposite? It's just amusing.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Even if Ridley's tail tip were only twice the size of Pikachu, he'd be this size.
Why Roidley's model always stands with his feet like that and not like this?

Ridley_mom (1).png

I mean, from Ridley himself and his other forms never where like that when in T-pose....oh well....

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
I really don't like to be negative, but evidence seems to be mounting that Ridley is indeed going to be a stage boss.

Add to the fact that you fight him in the pyrosphere in other M, the "other bosses" tease, and the earlier statement from Sakurai that "an old enemy of samus would appear on this stage" add to the various analysis here and elsewhere and it doesn't seem likely he'll be a playable character.

That said, there's always the *possibility* he's messing with us, but I don't see it likely. Honestly, I'm not opposed to Ridley, I just don't see it likely happening at this point, and the direct to me, seems to be the nail in the coffin.

Assuming he's not playable, I think it's cooler for him to be featured and destroying people, then not showing up at all. That's just my opinion...though

In my mind, Sakurai has accomplished exactly what he aimed to do, created more hype, speculation, and discussion surrounding the game.

Giving people a small hope, intentional or not, and then dashing it(what I assume will happen) is the ultimate troll of all.

Again, this is ALL my opinion, and I completely understand why you all still think/Hope he'll be in, and I respect that dedication.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I really don't like to be negative, but evidence seems to be mounting that Ridley is indeed going to be a stage boss.

Add to the fact that you fight him in the pyrosphere in other M, the "other bosses" tease, and the earlier statement from Sakurai that "an old enemy of samus would appear on this stage" add to the various shadow analysis elsewhere and it doesn't seem likely he'll be a playable character.

That said, there's always the *possibility* he's messing with us, but I don't see it likely. Honestly, I'm not opposed to Ridley, I just don't see it likely happening at this point, and the direct to me, seems to be the nail in the coffin.

That said, Assuming he's not playable, I think it's cooler for him to be featured and destroying people, then not showing up at all. That's just my opinion...though

In my mind, Sakurai has accomplished exactly what he aimed to do, created more hype, speculation, and discussion surrounding the game.

Giving people a small hope, intentional or not, and then dashing it(what I assume will happen) is the ultimate troll of all.

Again, this is ALL my opinion, and I completely understand why you all still think/Hope he'll be in, and I respect that dedication.
I already said that I would find the decision of Sakurai "bad" if he hyped it for an hazard but, and I'm swear I WILL NEVER HATE SAKURAI IF HE DID THAT EVEN IF PAPER MARIO HAS NO REPRESENTATION. The fact that I love video games and am here today to talk about them is all because I played ssbm while Sakurai was behind it. I don't find reasonable to hate him no matter what happen. So if he's an hazard, yes I'll have a SLIGHT disappointment but so be it. tbh, since the last direct, this game is already meeting my expectation.

D

Deleted member

Add to the fact that you fight him in the pyrosphere in other M, the "other bosses" tease, and the earlier statement from Sakurai that "an old enemy of samus would appear on this stage" add to the various analysis here and elsewhere and it doesn't seem likely he'll be a playable character.

Assuming he's not playable, I think it's cooler for him to be featured and destroying people, then not showing up at all. That's just my opinion...though

Dude, this is like, all the arguments that have been disproved months ago
Btw, if Roidley was playable, he would just be a clone of Ridley :troll:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman

No offense but he did tease ridley but he we never knew if it was a boss tease or a playable tease, and why would he build up so much hype for a mere boss or stage hazard? he has never done that before for hazards but he has done it for playable characters, and the direct only showed us his shadow and a tail blade so we know nothing other than ridley is in smash and it is the Clone of ridley, and if he is a boss or hazard, then why not go straight to the point, like waluigi, dark samus, ashley etc.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Well as I've mentioned before, it technically would be new for Ridley to be a boss within a normal battle. Perhaps Sakurai wanted people to get excited over how players would have to take on Ridley and what he would be able to do that was different from Yellow Devil. [/devil's advocate]

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
:cry:Waiting for Ridley's confirmation or deconfirmation is like having a Dead hand Grab your skull and squeeze it until it eats you.
:c
:skull:

Last edited:

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
No offense but he did tease ridley but he we never knew if it was a boss tease or a playable tease, and why would he build up so much hype for a mere boss or stage hazard? he has never done that before for hazards but he has done it for playable characters, and the direct only showed us his shadow and a tail blade so we know nothing other than ridley is in smash and it is the Clone of ridley, and if he is a boss or hazard, then why not go straight to the point, like waluigi, dark samus, ashley etc.
You're misinterpreting what I said.

I'm saying the thing he pulled with Ridley causes further Speculation/debate, which in turn helps to create more hype and discussion around the game.

It's happening right here, right now. It's clearly working.

Plus "Bosses" on stage is something new.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well as I've mentioned before, it technically would be new for Ridley to be a boss within a normal battle. Perhaps Sakurai wanted people to get excited over how players would have to take on Ridley and what he would be able to do that was different from Yellow Devil. [/devil's advocate]
this is actually the logic that scares me the most, because I could easily see sakurai doing this, even after all the trolling.

Top Bottom