• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ridley's final smash should swap him with his more fluffy form to annoy people who don't want to change characters.

D

Deleted member

So. freaking. ADORABLE.
I JUST WANT TO HUG THE LITTLE DEVIL.

EDIT: Really, Smashboards? ANY word that has the short name for Richard is censored because of its use as a slang term for penis, which is NOT censored?
So I can't even say "little dickens" like in the ol' days as an endearing take on "little devil"?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Censorship...it sucks. Especially for **** Van **** and the like.

But yeah, Dark Phazon's usually on an anti-Little Birdie tirade. But look at him! Slap some sharp teeth on a Furby and give it Flamingo legs and you get this adorable little slaughterhouse!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Oh! Little Birdie! Why did you go play in your vomit?
Sweetie. I'm afraid that's honey.

:troll:

Would anyone actually be satisfied if that 3-stage Ridley rumor was true?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Haven't heard of it. Link to it?
I don't have a link, but it's an old rumor that said that Ridley would start off as Little Birdy, evolve into his adolescent form and then finally turn into the Ridley we all know and love.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think Ridley should be included SSB4. Re-sizing him shouln't be that much of a problem. Chances of him getting in are fairly decent if you ask me. Oh, and for some reason, I've kinda pictured him to some kind of glass cannon type of character. Dealing good damage, but he can't take too much himself. Don't know why I can see that happening though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If he doesnt get in as playable he is no doubt forbidden.

Because its not like Sakurai had no idea this time how much demand and support there is for him.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I definitely enjoyed the whole gremlins metamorphosis aspect they added to ridley, nothing better than an adorable creature that turns into a monster.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually like Little Birdie. I would mind if he showed up somehow.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are now only three months away until a possible Ridley confirmation.

To think at this time seven years ago (my how time flies), I pretty much had the same expectations (I was expecting Ridley to be among the first newcomers confirmed due to how popularly requested he was and due to the massive resurrection the Metroid series had). I was pretty disappointed that Zero Suit Samus got selected as the Metroid newcomer instead. :laugh:

However, some of the other characters that I was anticipating and really wanted for the unveil trailer (Wario, Pit, Meta Knight), also got confirmed by the trailer, so I was not let down by the Brawl unveil (I was actually very hyped), and I pretty much thought Ridley would definitely be in the game.

At this point every Nintendo character that I wanted in Smash Bros. has already gotten in, Ridley, the one character I have wanted the most, is the only remaining one left (I do want Mega Man, Mewtwo, and Roy though).

Its pretty much Ridley alone that I have waited all these years since Brawl's release and spent so much time anticipating a game that was not even properly announced.

Its Ridley's time to shine now! There is less than a handful of Nintendo characters left that are as popularly requested as Ridley is, so I am feeling really good about the trailer.

I am really hoping and crossing my fingers that we get Ridley this time. I have wanted Ridley in for as long as there has been a Smash Bros. series basically. He has been my single-most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros. ever since I first saw the Melee unveil in May 2001. The confirmation of Ridley will be the end of an era for me.

A childhood dream... finally realized.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm gone for a few pages and people are gonna go all Little Birdie now?? Why you so unoriginal Smashboards? Why?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
New avatar in honor of the guy. :troll:

I've been thinking... Do you think Ridley's recovery could be like Pit's? I mean it's the only recovery I can think of for him.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
New avatar in honor of the guy. :troll:

I've been thinking... Do you think Ridley's recovery could be like Pit's? I mean it's the only recovery I can think of for him.
It's the one that makes more sense, considering he can fly, right?

Your new avatar is funny.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's the one that makes more sense, considering he can fly, right?

Your new avatar is funny.
Well it's either that or some kind of flip like Shuttle Loop.

And thank ye kindly sir.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm curious why you're asking that question, AND ALSO I don't even play as Samus. Or at least, not often.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used Samus in Melee, but I thought she kind of sucked in Brawl.

I used Dedede though because he's just awesome

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I used Samus in Melee, but I thought she kind of sucked in Brawl.

I used Dedede though because he's just awesome
Same here. Was disappointment in how worfed she was in the game. Hopefully the same thing won't happen to Ridley (if he were to be in Sm4sh).

D

Deleted member

Now that I found that Giga Bowser was planned as a hidden unlockable for Melee (or at least evidence that supports it), I have no doubts Ridley can be made to work, even if he's a large character.
Especially if he's given the same kind of properties as Melee G-Bowser; including an immunity to grabs.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Now that I found that Giga Bowser was planned as a hidden unlockable for Melee (or at least evidence that supports it), I have no doubts Ridley can be made to work, even if he's a large character.
Especially if he's given the same kind of properties as Melee G-Bowser; including an immunity to grabs.
If you take that evidence for true it's actually the opposite, the fact that Giga Bowser was scrapped off is proof that a big character can't work. But I don't really think Giga Bowser was meant to be in Melee at all. Probably he served as beta testing or something like that, since he is a different model/character which works as a normal one in some circumstance.
Through glitches even Master Hand is playable, that doesn't mean he was meant to be it.

D

Deleted member

That is no proof at all that it works the opposite because we don't know the reason it was scrapped.
For all we know, it could have been Sakurai's plan to have Giga Bowser as a secret character outside Japan to make up for his plan to remove Marth and Roy for the international releases, and was scrapped when Marth and Roy proved to be worth their stay.
It could be that he didn't want to make a completely Smash original character playable in the long run.
It could very well be that he thought twice of making a boss into a character like other games did at the time.
WE. DON'T. KNOW.

However, the point still stands that Giga Bowser could have ended up being a secret unlockable.
The evidence is there, as I posted in the character discussion thread:

UNLIKE the other non-playable characters, Giga Bowser actually has a character name for selection (G-Bowser). Selecting the character he replaces with the code (in this case, Jigglypuff) even has his unused announcer call being used (and it is the correct language, unlike the Sound Test which strangely has "Giga Koopa" when set to English, and "Giga Bowser" when set to Japanese). Also, when selected, the character he replaces has their CSS icon replaced with a question mark (presumably a placeholder for G.B.'s CSS icon since he doesn't have one of his own)
No other unplayable character has such a code to replace another on the CSS.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Exactly dude, we don't know, so it's really pointless using it as an argument. I was just saying that we can see the thing both ways.
And by the way, a character big as Giga Bowser wouldn't work well at all. Just see how goofy are giga-characters in special event like the one with the big Yoshi in Melee. Sometimes they die even if they're still half way in the stage lol.

That and also Giga Bowser as a character by itself would be particularly stupid. I didn't even like him to be Bowser's final smash. I mean Koopa Clown Car anyone? That's not the point anyway.

D

Deleted member

It isn't pointless.
While Giga Bowser being an unlockable character was scrapped, he's still in the game. And you know what else? He works fine as a playable character just the way he is.
I should know; I've friggen played as him so much with my old Action Replay that he'd be considered my main if he wasn't hacked.

He's not as "goofy" as you make him out to be. He has his weaknesses, such as being a big target (very big target) and being rather cumbersome to move and attack with, but it serves as a counter to his strengths, finding balance.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley having an immunity to grabs (except for some heavyweights) and high stun resistance that decrease as percentage scales up can make sense. I still do not think he should be GigaBowser sized. Perhaps his wings and tails only count as hittable targets when used as an attack. Otherwise the tail and wings are just lightly moved to the side.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
By goofy I didn't meant only his moveset. He would just seem out of place. Do you imagine Giga Bowser playing in Big Blue? He would be half inside the Falcon Flyer probably. Maybe if the game is redone completely, I don't know.
Still I don't understand how Giga Bowser alleged playability in Melee helps Ridley's cause.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
By goofy I didn't meant only his moveset. He would just seem out of place. Do you imagine Giga Bowser playing in Big Blue? He would be half inside the Falcon Flyer probably. Maybe if the game is redone completely, I don't know.
Still I don't understand how Giga Bowser alleged playability in Melee helps Ridley's cause.
Because they considered making such a large character to be normally playable. Ridley is around half of Giga Bowser's size, therefor they should be able to find working with Ridley easy (regardless of his size, if they were going to go ahead and add Giga Bowser. Who is much larger than the majority of the stages in Melee).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think the general problem with Ridley is not his "size" but rather his lanky structure. His limbs and wings and tail are all over the place. Charizard on the other hand is stout with smaller limbs, so he solves this hitbox issue.

I say, Ridley's tail and wings should not count as hitboxes that register damage taken or knockback when hit. They only are able to be hit when they are used in attacks. That way only his body, head, and neck register real hits. If he walks by curving his neck into an S, his positioning further solves lank issues.

D

Deleted member

Giga Bowser's limbs are all over the place too. The only difference is mainly that he doesn't have wings, and instead has a huge spiked shell.
(And no, I'm not being a smartass; check G-Bowser's limbs compared to Bowser. He's got long arms and legs in comparison. And tail too, though that's not as comparable to Ridley.)

EDIT: Also, Giga Bowser is notably far smaller in Melee than Brawl.
That's why I keep using Melee Giga Bowser as the reference point.

Top Bottom