• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

I would rather not have Ridley copy Bowser for his Final Smash. Or Dedede, for John's Space Pirate Raid idea from before.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You mean have Ridley have a "Super transformation" where he becomes a stronger version of himself=??? But more characters than just Bowser have that. :)

Yoshi has that (Red Bull healthy fruits gives him wings!), :chuckle: R.O.B. has that, and Sonic have that (kind of Final Smash). ;)

Having one more isn't going to suddenly take away from it; especially if there are 2 Final Smashes (1 super attack, 1 super transformation) like I have wanted forever! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I mean more on the lines of controlling a giant, stronger, more monstrous Ridley as you would regular Ridley, not just transforming. I don't want that.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Perhaps Omega Ridley (or such a "Super Ridley") could have a few different/altered moves.

That or maybe he could be a wacky version of Ridley like Wario-man is to Wario! :laugh: (although more serious to fit Ridley's "style")

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
wow... I am actually surprised to see someone not have the tail grind at all in the moveset... i am intrigued!
I feel the tail grind would be either useless or overpowered, which was usually my gripe in ridley movesets.

i have yet to go to any other character discussions, but if i see megaman with Rush in an OP's moveset, im gonna tear some heads.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm tail grind? To be fair, I think Brawl was the first time he used a tail grind attack. Maybe only? HE DID however have a tail "pogo" move. I made that his Dair move. I thought it was more FUNCTIONAL that way. Even if it would be pretty similar to Link's.

Y'know, Ridley's not even all THAT interesting of a fighter. There's nothing particularly UNIQUE about him. No GIMMICKS. But BY DEFAULT he has a lot of options as a fighter just because he's a dragon, lol. He's often compared to Charizard, but making them feel different is BEYOND EASY.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Holy **** did I stumble into 2007? This brings me back.

I imagine Ridley having really good air mobility, while being absolutely terrible on the ground, personally.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It definitely is possible that Ridley only had tail pogo attacks. I think he did have tail scrapes in Super Metroid, but I think those were just tail swings that happened to go along the floor.

But I dunno, I think it could be something for consideration anyway, since that was a move he used in smash bros. already. :p I'd see it maybe being like a dash attack though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Decided to merge the threads as to not have the previous discussion not be lost to the annals of time, since there was a decent amount of posting going on prior to this thread.

Here's the OP of the first thread for posterity--

GTA_Hater_331 said:

What do you say are the odds of Ridley FINALLY being playable in Smash 4? What are your moveset ideas? Feel free to discuss Ridley in Smash 4 here!

My moveset idea:

B: Plasma Beam: Shoots a beam of plasma straight forward. 1.5 times the startup time of ROB's Robo Beam, but deals very heavy Fire damage for a ranged attack.
^B: Meson Bomb: Flies upward like a 1.5 second version of Pit's Wings of Icarus, and deploys 2 Meson Bombs, which are more powerful than the Morph Ball Bombs
vB: Tailgrind (credits to Sol Diviner): Drags his tail forward along the ground, creating a shower of sparks in his path and sweeping whoever gets caught in the grind. Wouldn't change speed, could stop whenever, and could even factor sacrificial KO's in.
>B: Multi-Missile System: At a slight angle of depression, launches a salvo of missiles, about as powerful as the pink missiles launched by Samus.

This may seem like a lot of power behind his special moves, but combined with his attack power and wings which function somewhat like Charizard, this makes up for his lack of Defence Power and slow speed.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I think Ridley is a great choice for a new comer I was rooting for him to be in Brawl and he wasn't because of sakurai's very flimsy reasoning of he's to big to be in it. But that's a pile of bull Nintendo is well known for size shifting hell there's a ton of size shifting in Smash Bros in general so they can make it work with ease.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai thinks that Ridley would be too large. His comment on Ridley having to be extremely slow seemed to be "tongue-in-cheek." Basically, he was saying that Ridley would be as large as he appeared in his boss fight in Brawl, but would move at a pathetically slow pace for balance reasons.

Maybe the creator of Ridley does not want his size changed. Of course, I hope the fans' outcry on the purple dragon's omission from playable status resonates with Sakurai and any other Nintendo designers that are standing in the way of this goal.

After the dreadful Other M, I think Nintendo should try to reinvigorate the Metroid franchise. Brawl had Zamus with gigantic knockers, now they could try to throw in a space dragon. Why not?

Ridley can still be near Bowser size. Have his wings and tail be immune to hits except when he uses them for an attack.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai never said Ridley was "too big", that's all fandumb.
Just because he said he'd be "slow", it doesn't translate into "he's too big".
Ganondorf is frigging slow, and he's not "too big".

I mean think about it. Ridley has been portrayed as very agile and fast in the Metroid series. When Sakurai said he'd be "a little slow", it meant that Ridley would not be quite as fast or agile for balance purposes.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
True. Sakurai never said that Ridley was too big. I stand corrected.

Here is the original quote from the magazine.

"Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible.
[Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

There are ways to under power a space dragon as well as making him playable.

1. Have hits nudge his wings and tail away without adding damage or causing knock back. His wings and tail can only be damaged and attribute to knock back if he is attacking with them. This allows Ridley to be lanky and portrayed correctly without being an unfairly massive target.

2. Have his Up B launch him upwards and open his wings. His air attacks now change from his air attacks in his regular style. He can have slower falling speed as well. This can break up his ground and air game, making it more difficult for Ridley to flow. This way he can be powerful, but balanced.

3. His jumps should be short when not in his Up B "flight mode." His terrestrial dodges can cover ground, but be on the slower side.

4. I would make his weight around Charizard's weight. Power level around Samus's in terms of knock back.

5. Playstyle would be a hybrid of Samus and Bowser. While Samus in a long-range tank and Bowser a close-range tank, Ridley can be somewhere in-between.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
How come no one argued that Ganondorf was too powerful. And no one's arguing that Palutena's abilities as a GODDESS aren't too powerful. I mean, a simple beast like Ridley doesn't have anything to worry about. He's not special, he'll be balanced appropriately like everyone else.

"RIDLEY IS TOO POWERFUL" sounds more like a compliment, really.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find it funny that people would find Ridley too powerful, when in reality having a lot of power wouldn't make him too powerful. For example, Ganondorf has really powerful attacks, but is often cited as a horrible character due to being unable to use the raw attack power effectively due to poor range and speed. It could be a similar (albeit not as extreme) situation with Ridely, presuming he's going to follow stereotypical characteristics of a heavy weight by being somewhat slow and large.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
wow... I am actually surprised to see someone not have the tail grind at all in the moveset... i am intrigued!
I feel the tail grind would be either useless or overpowered, which was usually my gripe in ridley movesets.
Well, Charizard had a tail move that wasn't broken (although it was kinda underpowered). The thing with a tail is if it extends far, it shouldn't be very wide.
Holy **** did I stumble into 2007? This brings me back.
I know man. Welcome back smash brothah!!! ;) The cause is still strong, and us TRUE Ridley Supporters SHALL NEVER DIE, DISAPPEAR, OR BE DESTROYED!!! :)
I imagine Ridley having really good air mobility, while being absolutely terrible on the ground, personally.
Or perhaps having a ground game that forces foes up into the air (where Ridley can be and is dominant).
Maybe the creator of Ridley does not want his size changed.
The creator of Ridley, Gunpei Yokoi, died 15 years ago, in 1997. This was before Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion even began actual development. Gunpei Yokoi also invented the Game & Watch handheld, the Game Boy, the Virtual Boy (which lead him to leave Nintendo shortly before he died in a car crash), the Game & Watch series, the Metroid series, and the Kid Icarus series. Oh, and he came up with the concept of virtual motion controls, 3D visuals being important to gaming in the future, and a touch screen based handheld.

Edit: 100th post in the Ridley thread, w00t! :grin:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its a shame I could not make this thread (along with the Roy one). I had lots of ideas planned for the opening post. I was hoping to make my Ridley and Roy support topics the models for which others to follow.

I have been very busy lately, so I have been removed from the speculation scene. Quite a bit has happened since then between E3 and Sakurai announcing the developer for Smash 4. I am probably not going to return to post. I figured I had another year to work on these support topics, but I guess it did not work out that way now did it.

Well at least I got post 100 for this topic. (turns out its 101).

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
They should beable to change ridley's size i mean in mario sunshine bowser was bigger than ridley for some reason.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
In the end, I stole yet another thing from Chrono! :grin:

At least he got the 101st post. You can always be the 101st Dalmatian Ridley-er... in your heart. ;) :chuckle: :laugh: :rotfl: :joyful:

At least I can't steal Chrono's celebration when Ridley is confirmed in Smash WiiU and 3DS.

I'm calling it, because I am CRAZY!!! :psychoi: Ridley will be confirmed 2 years from today. ;)

Edit: Anyways Chrono, most of us frequent posters from the old Smash WiiU thread are gonna dominate this thread, too.

Personally, on top of that, I'll also be owning the Toon Link thread, the Mega Man thread, the Roy thread, the Mewtwo thread, and the K. Rool thread. :bee:

See ya round Chrono.
-A Friend First and Smasher Second-
~His Knightliness Himself~,
-Johnknight1 Watson​

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Chrono, I'd be happy to include whatever you planned in the first post. You're probably better at it than I am.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wait...Chrono's leaving? No! You've waited too long to leave D:

Plus, Ridley's probably getting in anyway.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want Ridley and K. Rool in to further satisfy by need for playing as giant reptiles.

There is, sadly, a possibility that neither of the two will get in.

D

Deleted member

Geez, I should've read Chrono's post before joking about him not getting 100...

Now I feel like a *******....

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I want Ridley and K. Rool in to further satisfy by need for playing as giant reptiles.

There is, sadly, a possibility that neither of the two will get in.
There is a strong possibility that both will be in Super Smash Bros from popularity alone. But if both do come in the game, I want the two to be partners in crime in the story mode. Like a subtle reference to Ridley and Kraid, and a opportunity to show off their ruthless personalities comparing and contrasting with each other.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
There is a strong possibility that both will be in Super Smash Bros from popularity alone. But if both do come in the game, I want the two to be partners in crime in the story mode. Like a subtle reference to Ridley and Kraid, and a opportunity to show off their ruthless personalities comparing and contrasting with each other.
Ya they should sort of be partners in crime and I wonder if kraid could get in.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm actually totally up for Gargantuan characters. After playing games like Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and the DBZ fighters, which featured giant robots 20 times as big as the standard characters as playable fighters, I have seen how it could work in SSB4.
I remember there was a fancy trick you could do in Melee to play as Master Hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSwLtv_ztfs
It would be fun to play as Bosses. Either by giving them a set amount of health, lowering their moveset, restricting jumping, or something to balance it out.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I might as well post this out of boredom.

B - Fireballs: Ridley shoots 4 fireballs at the opponent horizontally, in the air he shoots them downward causing them to spread fire dealing multiple hits of damage if touched. If you hold B Ridley will shoot a giant fireball that causes an explosion if hit on the ground, it can also be shot in any direction in front of him.

Side B - Dragon Dive: Ridley charges forward claws ready at the opponent. In the air swoops downward in an arc talons ready. If he touches an opponent he will drag them half stage and throw them away.

Up B - Dragon Glide: Ridley does a U Turn and does a glide. If an opponent gets touched by him in the beginning animation of the move, Ridley will grab them and fly up high, when he reaches the peak of his height he throws them down. But the opponent mashes out they will break free.

Down B - Tail Crush: Exactly how he used it as a boss in Subspace.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There is not a newcomer in existence that needs to be in smash more than Ridley.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is not a newcomer in existence that needs to be in smash more than Ridley.
This x infinity

Ridley is by far the most important character from a veteran Nintendo franchise that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. Ridley is a character that has been with Metroid since its inception, and has made an appearance in nearly every game to the series. Heck, Ridley is so important to Metroid he is even making a cameo in Nintendoland (which may become a Wii U pack-in game).

I am still working on my Ridley support topic, though progress is very slow.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
All I worry about is his popularity in Japan. Him and K Rool, I'm glad though that the guy in Nintendo Power acknowledged him directly to Sakurai about being playable. Every couple of months I will tweet Sakurai in english or Japanese about including Ridley. I figure everyone on these boards should do it once a month. Now that I know the game has barely been started I'm certain the roster hasn't been finalized yet so there is still hope to influence him from west.

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Chibi Ridley from the first Metroid's Japanese artwork and Robo Ridley from Nintendo Land needs to be alternate costumes. :awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
All I worry about is his popularity in Japan. Him and K Rool, I'm glad though that the guy in Nintendo Power acknowledged him directly to Sakurai about being playable. Every couple of months I will tweet Sakurai in english or Japanese about including Ridley. I figure everyone on these boards should do it once a month. Now that I know the game has barely been started I'm certain the roster hasn't been finalized yet so there is still hope to influence him from west.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sakurai DOES look toward the West. Supposedly even some Japanese people make note of Ridley's popularity here, so I doubt it would be hard for Sakurai to figure out. I really can't imagine a hurdle too big for even Ridley to get over.

D

Deleted member

Especially considering Ridley is kind of big himself, amirite? :troll:

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Chibi Ridley from the first Metroid's Japanese artwork and Robo Ridley from Nintendo Land needs to be alternate costumes. :awesome:

I'm hoping for a regular purple-colored Ridley, a dark gray Super Metroid Ridley, a dark blue Metroid Fusion Ridley, a red Super Metroid manual Ridley, and a Meta-Ridley alternate costume with a robo-Ridley color scheme and an Omega Ridley color scheme.

Greedy? Probably. :scared:

Chibi Ridley should totally be a trophy... Maybe a trophy of chibi Ridley fighting the freakish-looking Ridley from the American manual?:awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Rather like yellow and pink one. Reminds me of the golden space pirates, or that gold statue in Super Metroid of all the bosses.

Top Bottom