• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just view myself as realistic. I realised it was Ridley's stage when I first saw it, cause I played the actual game. Yellow Devil was announced with the stage yeah, that thing is very true. Yet, MegaMan, his stage, and even the whole damn game got announced at the same time. If this was the Brawl Dojo, we might've seen Ridley's role on the stage right away.

But now, we're put to speculation what it'll be. And seriously... the whole content of that 'one vague sentance' doesn't seem to hint at Ridley being playable at all. Unless... He has a real, real strange way of being unlocked which is tired to Phyrosphere. Or, Other M Ridley is viewed as a all different Ridley alltogheter (could be his brother, like Kaptain K.Rool is the King's brother right?) and the 'real Ridley' becomes playable.

I'm deeply sorry for the loss. But it has to be accepted at one point. Most of y'all played and brought Brawl anyway despite no Ridley. And yeah, maybe my Anthony Higgs comments are a bit, ill-timed perhaps, but I do want the character to be in. And I do view him as a possibility due to the big Other M presentation in Smash. Not huge or anything, but at this point NONE of the potential Metroid newcomers are likely.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Hmm....correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Nintendog that shows up in the 3DS version a different breed than the Assist Trophy one?
Yup they're different breed but they still are called Nintendogs and not Golden Retriever so I don't think it really matter.
Also it's not new for Sakurai to change a character role between games , look at Dedede, Electrode or even right now with Ridley.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Like I say in the thread what series deserve another rep, my answer is METROID.

By the chance Ridley is not a playable character at least I will expect Dark Samus or one of the six Hunters in Metroid Prime Hunters or even Anthony Higgs (ugh is painful to write). If the only playable character is Samus and her ZSS form again without other rep, I will really be sad, Metroid is my favorite franchise and seeing series like StarFox (3), Kirby (3), Fire Emblem (3 if you count Roy), Donkey Kong (2) even the fn@#ing Earthbound (2) has more characters, is beyond my comprehension of what Sakurai thinks about Metroid.

I will lose any hope of seeing any other rep of Metroid in Smash until Sakurai steps down in being the director of the series.

.n_n.
Fire emblem has a huge variety of characters, they typically the main protagonists of each game. Metroid stars samus... And....Ridley? Loljk Anthony FTW. To be fair, ness is a veteran fighter, and Lucas makes 2 from that series. Sakurai sees ZSS as another metroid rep

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
:idea: maybe Ridley is not on the stage and maybe he gets unlocked the same way snake gets unlocked play pyrosphere stage a few times like snake on the shadow Moses island stage

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
COME ON MEN! THIS IS NOT THE END! RIDLEY HAS NOT BEEN DECONFIRMED!! HE STILL HAS THE FIGHTING CHANCE! STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELVES! NOW LET'S GATHER UP OUR HEARTS AND LET'S WIN THIS BATTLE ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Yup they're different breed but they still are called Nintendogs and not Golden Retriever so I don't think it really matter.
Also it's not new for Sakurai to change a character role between games , look at Dedede, Electrode or even right now with Ridley.
Wasn't Dedede planned for Melee, but time constraints prevented his inclusion.

Electrode was a part of the Cerulean City stage in SS64, Sakurai saw Electrode as more of a Pokeball Pokemon and decided to move him to the Pokemon Pokeball category. I am kind of hazy, but Cerulean City is absent from Melee right?

Ridley is at center stage, awaiting Sakurai's response, so he is 50/50 until further notice.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Also I was thinking, what if that sentence just describe the atmosphere of the stage and not something that will definitly happen ? You know like if you were to walk in a dark aley and think that someone could assault you at any second now, it's a possibility but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Edit : And I just realize, that's what people say since yesterday, I think I need to sleep. Good night people ^^'

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Another thing I'm questioning...isn't it a bit convenient that the Pyrosphere gets shown now, right before Gamescom starts? I'm aware that Nintendo didn't announce that they'd show Smash on the floor there, but hey, they didn't announce that they'd show it (and Luigi) in the last Nintendo Direct either.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Allow me to clear up this misconception. The Japanese Miiverse post doesn't refer to an enemy from Samus' past: it refers to Samus' trauma. Samus really only has three traumas: The Baby, Ridley, and Adam's Authorization Crisis. Of these, only Ridley is an enemy; therefore, the post talks about Ridley.
He beat me... to the punch... oops.​
Mother Brain is Samus' enemy as well, one she has encountered in her past on more than one occasion. Mother Brain was the one to have killed The Baby, Samus' at-the-time greatest attachment to another creature. Without having lost The Baby, Samus' current submissive state would not have happened in Other M, causing neither Adam's Authorization Crisis nor the sudden trauma facing Ridley. Mother Brain is just as much a suspect as Ridley is, if not more.
I rest my case, Mr. Groose.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Also I was thinking, what if that sentence just describe the atmosphere of the stage and not something that will definitly happen ? You know like if you were to walk in a dark aley and think that someone could assault you at any second now, it's a possibility but that doesn't mean it will happen.
Of course it is possible, but it is not set in stone until Sakurai announces Ridley's fate. Until Sakurai says "Ridley is not in the game" or "Ridley is a stage hazard" will I believe Ridley's role is up for speculation.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just view myself as realistic. I realised it was Ridley's stage when I first saw it, cause I played the actual game. Yellow Devil was announced with the stage yeah, that thing is very true. Yet, MegaMan, his stage, and even the whole damn game got announced at the same time. If this was the Brawl Dojo, we might've seen Ridley's role on the stage right away.

But now, we're put to speculation what it'll be. And seriously... the whole content of that 'one vague sentance' doesn't seem to hint at Ridley being playable at all. Unless... He has a real, real strange way of being unlocked which is tired to Phyrosphere. Or, Other M Ridley is viewed as a all different Ridley alltogheter (could be his brother, like Kaptain K.Rool is the King's brother right?) and the 'real Ridley' becomes playable.

I'm deeply sorry for the loss. But it has to be accepted at one point. Most of y'all played and brought Brawl anyway despite no Ridley. And yeah, maybe my Anthony Higgs comments are a bit, ill-timed perhaps, but I do want the character to be in. And I do view him as a possibility due to the big Other M presentation in Smash. Not huge or anything, but at this point NONE of the potential Metroid newcomers are likely.
Again, bad timing saying you're realistic.

What Sakurai could mean, and how I interpreted it at first, was that Ridley could appear any second on the site. That's how I read it right off the bat. The fact that Ridley wasn't even mentioned by name seemed to strenghten that. However, after time I've come to read it as a nod to what happens in Other M at the place, just like how he threw a nod at Viridi in the Kid Icarus stage. Since the Japanese message, aka the text Sakurai himself wrote, apparently only talked about the trauma and not hint that Ridley could appear at any moment strenghtens that argument too. Seeing that Sakurai apparently didn't write anything to the Japanese that Ridley could appear any second, it really detracts from the stage hazard idea too.

And you should know that it's Ridley or no Metroid rep. Ridley is the only viable Metroid character besides Samus, he is the only one who fulfills all criterias, and with that he's also the only popular choice. Popularity says a lot, and since no other Metroid rep has that, it's Ridley or no one. And that's how it's supposed to be, even if Metroid is my all time favorite franchise I have to admit that no other characters or monsters in the franchise are fit for Smash Bros besides Samus and Ridley.

There's no "having to accept Ridley as a stage hazard" before it's confirmed, and it's far from confirmed.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
First off, lets get one thing straight. Sakurai WAS referring to Ridley assuming that that was what he meant.

The only way we will know about Ridleyis when there is a picture with Ridley in it, with an icon below or not. Otherwise I don't think we'll know.

Actually, this might be a long shot, but what if the guy who translated it jumped the gun? Knowing or Ridley's status as playable, maybe he thought they were going to reveal him too? I know, it's a long shot.

Steelia

Smash Champion
You all remember how unlockable characters worked in SSB64/SSBM?
You fight them on a specific stage first, KO them, then get them added to your roster. Mr. Game & Watch appears on his home stage (Flat Land World Place), Young Link at his home stage (Termina Bay), Luigi at Mushroom Kingdom II... etc etc

So~ what if Sakurai means that that stage is where you'd encounter Ridley to unlock him? It's a very slim chance that's what he's referring to... but you never know :)

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
People need to stop leaping to absurd conclusions. There is simply no way to prove anything one way or the other.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
THAT'S THE STAGE HAZARD!!!! You can't use certain moves until Adam authorizes them! Ridley can be playable now! :troll:
Me and my brother actually discussed Adam as an assist trophy. He'd come out and de-authorize a random special move for each opponent. Pray for yourself to keep your Up-B.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
People need to stop leaping to absurd conclusions. There is simply no way to prove anything one way or the other.
I completely agree. However, this is speculation, so it's all we can really do at this point.

I still hope for Ridley to be the first newcomer reveal we get.

I mean really, the idea that they won't update any newcomers until certain events is just...bad marketing. I mean ONLY events. Like what is wrong with just giving us 1 newcomer every three months? Mind you, the E3 reveal only gave us Villager, and then Mega Man because he is the 3rd party. Wii Fit Trainer wasn't a part of the E3 trailer, however she was shown off at E3.

I'll be honest that only seeing veterans that we all knew were going to be back is getting boring. If the trend continues, it's just going to be more of the same too. Unless Sakurai picks Mewtwo for the Pokemon reveal. I don't even know anymore :facepalm:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Another thing I'm questioning...isn't it a bit convenient that the Pyrosphere gets shown now, right before Gamescom starts? I'm aware that Nintendo didn't announce that they'd show Smash on the floor there, but hey, they didn't announce that they'd show it (and Luigi) in the last Nintendo Direct either.
The SSB4 reveal is the only time I've seen Sakurai announce something before the "actual" announcement. At Brawl's reveal they had booked another conference hall very late, after the actual press conference, just to reveal Brawl in a surprising manner, at least that's what I've read from people talking here.

And the games that are on the floor are the games that are gonna be available for play as demos, of course Smash isn't in demo stage (yet.) Since signs point at them preparing for some kind of conference (sound engineer at Gamescon spoiling that Nintendo had sound issues during rehearsal on Twitter) it's not far fetched to believe that there'll be a Smash announcement there. Sakurai himself doesn't even need to be there either, and it'd be perfect to reveal Ridley at a western conference too. I'm praying, though I'm certainly not expecting anything today, or even tommorow, most likely Friday if anything.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think Sakurai wants to put Ridley fans out of their suffering demise as quickly as possible.

Also, there's really no way they'd reveal Ridley before Brawl veterans as Diddy, MetaKnight, Pokémon Trainer or hell, even the so ignored second Metroid character: Zero Suit Samus. Not to speak of Yoshi, or Captain Falcon or Ness.

Please stop being so immature. Ridley will probably not make it in. It's a shame, sure. But no need for all this damn commotion.
If that's what he's indeed doing, then yeah. Better to do it now than way later.

Implying there's any real pattern. If this was pre-E3 you'd probably say there's no way they would reveal Megaman before the Brawl veterans. And ZSS isn't ignored.

If we're immature for hoping, then so are you for jumping to conclusions. This is still being handled way better than Ridley's deconformation was pre-Brawl. And even if Ridley gets deconfirmed again later, we'll eventually accept it, yeah, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. In the end you can't expect a possible deconfirmation like Ridley's to not have some kind of commotion though. Have you forgotten what board you're on?

And with as long as we've waited for Ridley (some of us since Melee even), if you think most of us will immediately get over it at the snap of a finger and turn our attention and support to Anthony... You're dreaming/being unrealistic much more than we currently are.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've waited for Meowth and Duck Hunt Dog and Toad since Melee but they are probably not gonna be in the game anyway. :rolleyes:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If that's what he's indeed doing, then yeah. Better to do it now than way later.

Implying there's any real pattern. If this was pre-E3 you'd probably say there's no way they would reveal Megaman before the Brawl veterans. And ZSS isn't ignored.

If we're immature for hoping, then so are you for jumping to conclusions. This is still being handled way better than Ridley's deconformation was pre-Brawl. And even if Ridley gets deconfirmed again later, we'll eventually accept it, yeah, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. In the end you can't expect a possible deconfirmation like Ridley's to not have some kind of commotion though. Have you forgotten what board you're on?

And with as long as we've waited for Ridley (some of us since Melee even), if you think most of us will immediately get over it and turn our attention and support to Anthony... You're dreaming.
Not to mention I don't really think people are going to jump on board the Anthony train. I know I won't. Just because Ridley doesn't get in doesn't mean i'm going to resort to Anthony. I'd honestly rather Metroid not get anyone if it isn't Ridley quite honestly.

I don't think they would put any of the hunters in based on the fact that Prime has been avoided thus far like the plague. It will be someone from Other M if we get another Metroid rep. I'd just rather we not get one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've waited for Meowth and Duck Hunt Dog and Toad since Melee but they are probably not gonna be in the game anyway. :rolleyes:
Then you have my condolences which I'm sure you can share with us for being able to relate and all. Either way my point remains the same.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's fine and all, but when you're hoping for a character with a realistic chance it's another deal, especially when he's not only had different roles in all Smash games to date, but he's being heavily hinted at here.

Plus, Metroid players have a big attachment to Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog is a character that'd be interesting to see how he'd play out, same for Toad, but it's hard for anyone to have a very big attachment to them since they hardly have a story or matter to the story. Meowth is a different case because of his role in the anime of course, but even then he's mostly not more than a comic relief. In my case I'm hoping for my favorite video game character of all-time, I doubt you'd call either Toad, Meowth or Duck Hunt Dog that.

Now don't think I'm saying that it isn't a shame for you, it sure is, but our situation is different because of the associated character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Sudden plot twist, Sakurai announces Ridley for Smash - NES Ridley, the only Ridley who isn't too big

Sakurai: *Laughs*

:troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's fine and all, but when you're hoping for a character with a realistic chance it's another deal, especially when he's not only had different roles in all Smash games to date, but he's being heavily hinted at here.

Plus, Metroid players have a big attachment to Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog is a character that'd be interesting to see how he'd play out, same for Toad, but it's hard for anyone to have a very big attachment to them since they hardly have a story or matter to the story. Meowth is a different case because of his role in the anime of course, but even then he's mostly not more than a comic relief. In my case I'm hoping for my favorite video game character of all-time, I doubt you'd call either Toad, Meowth or Duck Hunt Dog that.

Now don't think I'm saying that it isn't a shame for you, it sure is, but our situation is different because of the associated character.
TL;DR

I am sorry for your grief but my grief is worse because my character is important to me!

That's what I am getting from that. :rolleyes:

CalumG

Smash Lord
TL;DR

I am sorry for your grief but my grief is worse because my character is important to me!

In fairness, Ridley is a vastly different situation to Duck Hunt Dog and Meowth.

Toad is probably more comparable, but if Ridley isn't in, hundreds if not thousands of people will be disappointed. If Duck Hunt Dog doesn't get in, you, me and maybe 10 other people will be disappointed. It's a difference in numbers, and that difference is important.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
TL;DR

I was more or less just trying to make you see it from our perspective rather than try to outstage you or anything, so I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my message.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
In a sudden twist of events, everybody is wrong. Ridley is not a stage hazard...

He's an Assist Trophy instead.

How do we react?

Top Bottom