• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well the message with are heads is not over yet but maybe today he will do the same thing with luigi one picture in the morning but then the next one is the Ridley trailer and picture

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Also, some Twitter posts indicate that Nintendo has been rehearsing some kind of session on the 19th. A sound engineer wrote "The whole room here at Nintendo's #GDC session just got permanent hearing damage from mic feedback."
Ridley is too loud. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am I right to assume this is the general reaction of Ridley fans?

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All for the best, the fanbase was beginning to lose it's grip on sanity... establish since that's so delicate around here to begin with.

Least it's not a s bad as the Geno thread got back in the day. We were all stupid kids.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My first thought was actually "OH YEAH! Ridley confirmed!"

Then of course I had to set my bias aside. I still think he was referring to Other M rather than anything Smash Bros, though it's of course teasing us.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
*Looks at thread title*

Sounds like Ridley burnt Oasis' ramen.

Anyways, I expected as much with Sakurai not revealing Ridley's position yet. Giving us a picture of Villager and WFT exercising? Sounds like typical Sakurai.

If anything, I think Sakurai is trying to make a Circus out of Smash fan's reactions.

As a tribute to how Sakurai works things here is some music.

Just remember guys, this is a typical bait and switch tactic. Sakurai announces the possibility of Ridley's inclusion in a Smash Bros game, shows something different than what is expected by most, creating controversy.

Sakurai wants our mixed emotions to his actions so it can spin controversy, thus getting SSB4 even more attention.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Sakurai wants to put Ridley fans out of their suffering demise as quickly as possible.

Also, there's really no way they'd reveal Ridley before Brawl veterans as Diddy, MetaKnight, Pokémon Trainer or hell, even the so ignored second Metroid character: Zero Suit Samus. Not to speak of Yoshi, or Captain Falcon or Ness.

Please stop being so immature. Ridley will probably not make it in. It's a shame, sure. But no need for all this damn commotion.

Groose

Smash Champion
WE NEAR THE END, FELLOW RIDLEY ENTHUSIASTS.
Will Ridley be playable or will he be a stage hazard? We'll know soon enough, methinks. Either way... what do we do then? What do we talk about? Who do we speculate upon?
We need to stay together, stay cohesive. We need to gang up and rally support behind someone else!
I'm here on behalf of another possible newcomer. He's every bit as deserving as Ridley, and I say we all go to support him after we get the defining news on our favorite dragon.​
I'm here to invite you, mah bois, to the King Harkinian Support Thread:​

Shameless self-promotion on the most active thread in the forums complete.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Will Ridley be playable or will he be a stage hazard? We'll know soon enough, methinks. Either way... what do we do then? What do we talk about? Who do we speculate upon?
We need to stay together, stay cohesive. We need to gang up and rally support behind someone else!
I'm here on behalf of another possible newcomer. He's every bit as deserving as Ridley, and I say we all go to support him after we get the defining news on our favorite dragon.​

but...but Vaati... :urg:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm not throwing in the towel. I still hold on to the belief that he will be playable. I'm merely stating that we're probably reaching the end.
I am not saying you threw in the towel. It is directed towards those who have done so already.

P.S. I quote those that I am replying to.

Edit: Sorry if this came off as rude, I did not intend that in anyway.....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seems like Sakurai wanted to prove Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were in the 3DS version of the game to nay sayers.

Implying Sakurai even needs to prove fans anything or he's even REMOTELY interessted in reading some fan's assumptions online in a language he doesn't even fully master?

Seriously you people...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Implying Sakurai even needs to prove fans anything or he's even REMOTELY interessted in reading some fan's assumptions online in a language he doesn't even fully master?

Seriously you people...
Hehehe. I just thought I would bring that up since, on other forums, some people would declare WFT and Villager would not be in the 3DS. I saw the pic of the day and then connected the dots.

All in good fun.

Edit: I guess I should start using emoticons to show that I am joking? :confused:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom

we should support Yarne or Omastar instead.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Sakurai wants to put Ridley fans out of their suffering demise as quickly as possible.

Also, there's really no way they'd reveal Ridley before Brawl veterans as Diddy, MetaKnight, Pokémon Trainer or hell, even the so ignored second Metroid character: Zero Suit Samus. Not to speak of Yoshi, or Captain Falcon or Ness.

Please stop being so immature. Ridley will probably not make it in. It's a shame, sure. But no need for all this damn commotion.
Why would they not reveal a newcomer before Brawl veterans? They've already done that. If Ridley is announced as a character he'd be treated as a newcomer, not a Metroid character. Reveals obviously aren't happening the same way they did during the Brawl times, this is going at a much slower pace.

And honestly, hoping is not immature, but jumping to conclusions is. "But he saiiiid" he said something that can be interpreted in a million ways, but people read what they want to read, that goes for both parts of course. Calling him off as already deconfirmed isn't just immature, it's ignorant. Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, but this post was just stupid, and the thing that causes this kind of commotion are exactly posts like these, posts we don't need as you said yourself.

It really blows my mind how people thinks he's already confirmed as a stage hazard when it can be anything. I guess Viridi is a stage hazard in the Kid Icarus stage too? You know, because she was mentioned by Sakurai and all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hehehe. I just thought I would bring that up since, on other forums, some people would declare WFT and Villager would not be in the 3DS. I saw the pic of the day and then connected the dots.

All in good fun.

Edit: I guess I should start using emoticons to show that I am joking? :confused:

Oh well sorry didn't know that. It's maybe cause your a new user, and I'm not too sure what to expect from a reaction as that.

Emoticons could work yeah...

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
If it makes anyone feel better, I'm very stubborn about the things I like. Ridley still has a chance today as much as he had a chance the day before yesterday and even before then, in my eyes.

"An enemy from Samus' past" could easily be Kraid or Mother Brain, you know. Ridley isn't the only one Samus has fought in past games before Other M. The perception that you fight Ridley in the Pyrosphere in Other M is discerning, yes, but I didn't join a Ridley support thread because I'm cynical about Ridley.

Go big or go home.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm sorry if it came off as rude.

I think I came of quite rude myself, so apologied accepted, and hereby returned ;)

Anyways, should Sakurai post an official video or something to apologize for Ridley not being in? Y/N?

lol

Also, don't count on Kraid or Mother Brain on a Other M stage. Especially not one where Samus fought Ridley (same place where Mr.MANthony Higgs called him out on having no style, not having the vaguest idea of how to treat a lady, called him a punk, and sacrificed his life only to surive in the most awesome way ever). Ridley was fought at Phyroshere, and will appear on the stage because of it. This should come as no surprise seeing as that yellow robot thing called Yellow Devil from MegaMan is also on the MegaMan stage.

And no, it ain't playable.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If it makes anyone feel better, I'm very stubborn about the things I like. Ridley still has a chance today as much as he had a chance the day before yesterday and even before then, in my eyes.

"An enemy from Samus' past" could easily be Kraid or Mother Brain, you know. Ridley isn't the only one Samus has fought in past games before Other M. The perception that you fight Ridley in the Pyrosphere in Other M is discerning, yes, but I didn't join a Ridley support thread because I'm cynical about Ridley.

Go big or go home.
Yes. Besides, Ridley seems the most likely to me, because he left the biggest impact on Samus and is always a thorn in her side.

I think I came of quite rude myself, so apologied accepted, and hereby returned ;)

Anyways, should Sakurai post an official video or something to apologize for Ridley not being in? Y/N?

lol
Yes. I would like a video to confirm Ridley, since every newcomer thus far have a reveal video. I don't need it (a picture does fine), but a video would be awesome.

Autumn ♫

lol

Also, don't count on Kraid or Mother Brain on a Other M stage. Especially not one where Samus fought Ridley (same place where Mr.MANthony Higgs called him out on having no style, not having the vaguest idea of how to treat a lady, called him a punk, and sacrificed his life only to surive in the most awesome way ever). Ridley was fought at Phyroshere, and will appear on the stage because of it. This should come as no surprise seeing as that yellow robot thing called Yellow Devil from MegaMan is also on the MegaMan stage.

You should know that nothing will ever bring down us true Ridley supporters hopes. Ridley's still got that fighting chance. Heck, there may not be any stage hazard in the first place.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Even the Japanese Miiverse comment did mention Samus's trauma. Kraid and Mother Brain are not responsible for Samus's trauma. Ridley is.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Why would they not reveal a newcomer before Brawl veterans? They've already done that. If Ridley is announced as a character he'd be treated as a newcomer, not a Metroid character. Reveals obviously aren't happening the same way they did during the Brawl times, this is going at a much slower pace.

And honestly, hoping is not immature, but jumping to conclusions is. "But he saiiiid" he said something that can be interpreted in a million ways, but people read what they want to read, that goes for both parts of course. Calling him off as already deconfirmed isn't just immature, it's ignorant. Sorry, I don't want to be harsh, but this post was just stupid, and the thing that causes this kind of commotion are exactly posts like these, posts we don't need as you said yourself.

It really blows my mind how people thinks he's already confirmed as a stage hazard when it can be anything. I guess Viridi is a stage hazard in the Kid Icarus stage too? You know, because she was mentioned by Sakurai and all.
When i die and someone needs to carry the #RealTalk Torch i know who to pass it to.

I cant imagine how greatful & delighted you must be to hear that.

RealTalk.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yes. Besides, Ridley seems the most likely to me, because he left the biggest impact on Samus and is always a thorn in her side.
The other thing that bothers me, however. They've shown the Yellow Devil on Wily's Castle. They've noted the effects of the Reset Bomb in the Kid Icarus stage.

Why wouldn't they show the enemy from Samus' past other than to build tension?

The bigger question is, why would they show tension unless they wanted build-up, as in, to get people talking about a certain character more than ever? To get the public riled up with Ridley in their minds? It's not like Sakurai to deliberately to tease us about something we wouldn't get. If he wanted to get peoples' disappointment about no Ridley out of the way, there's no reason why he wouldn't have already done that at this point. Which leads to one thing for me: The stage hazard isn't Ridley. If it was Ridley, he would be a little less vague about it like he was with "Viridi, Goddess of Nature, is about to obliterate the humans as they battle, driven by greed." It's that straightforward.

If anything, I have more hope Ridley now than ever.
Even the Japanese Miiverse comment did mention Samus's trauma. Kraid and Mother Brain are not responsible for Samus's trauma. Ridley is.
Mother Brain isn't responsible for her constant broken mentioning of The Baby? Smash is completely canon now?

Keep trying. You're not breaking my spirit, buddy.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

lol

No, he shouldn't apologize about it, because nothing has been confirmed or deconfirmed, and neither should he apologize if Ridley isn't a character.

And you see the difference between Yellow Devil's situation and Ridley's? Yellow Devil was announced alongside the stage. Sakurai has never made mention of anything before without showing a picture, unless it's been in an interview. If Sakurai wanted to confirm a stage hazard he would have gone right on and said "Ridley is a stage hazard" and show a picture of Ridley assaulting the stage.

And sorry, but all your Anthony talking makes me have a hard-time taking you seriously. Here you are, claiming Ridley is deconfirmed from a single little and incredibly vague sentence, and you've gone right on to say in another thread that Anthony, a character who has little meaning to the franchise, has nearly no demand, and would virtually not only be the most unknown character in the game, but possibly the most disliked because he's a nobody compared to the rest of the cast and would get the blame for taking Ridley's spot (even though that wouldn't be true people would still do it). You're telling me that this guy has a higher chance than Ridley has, just because of one vague sentence that you decided to take to extremes? Nope, sorry, I think I'm just gonna skip over your posts in this thread from now on, which is sad since your contributions in the K. Rool thread are pretty great.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The other thing that bothers me, however. They've shown the Yellow Devil on Wily's Castle. They've noted the effects of the Reset Bomb in the Kid Icarus stage.

The bigger question is, why would they show tension unless they wanted build-up, as in, to get people talking about a certain character more than ever? To get the public riled up with Ridley in their minds? It's not like Sakurai to deliberately to tease us about something we wouldn't get. If he wanted to get peoples' disappointment about no Ridley out of the way, there's no reason why he wouldn't have already done that at this point. Which leads to one thing for me: The stage hazard isn't Ridley. If it was Ridley, he would be a little less vague about it like he was with "Viridi, Goddess of Nature, is about to obliterate the humans as they battle, driven by greed." It's that straightforward.

Mother Brain isn't responsible for her constant broken mentioning of The Baby? Smash is completely canon now?

Keep trying. You're not breaking my spirit, buddy.
Makes sense.

If anything I believe Sakurai is doing a typical bait and switch move. Get people riled up about Ridley, then the next day, post something different to create controversy.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well all the foes that both appear in Samus history and Other M are : Ridley, Mother Brain, Nightmare, Metroids, the Queen Metroid and Phantoon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Exactly, Sakurai's teasing has always been light-hearted. He knows how much people want Ridley, Sakurai doesn't slap us in the face.

As for stage hazard: You see that lava flowing? You can see the bottom of the pit, it's most definitely going to be filled over time.

Autumn ♫

Makes sense.

If anything I believe Sakurai is doing a typical bait and switch move. Get people riled up about Ridley, then the next day, post something different to create controversy.
I was actually thinking he was going to do that, "look at Wii Fit Trainer and Villager standing today, they sure are standing!" Then I realized they haven't been confirmed for the 3DS game yet.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well all the foes that both appear in Samus history and Other M are : Ridley, Mother Brain, Nightmare, Metroids, the Queen Metroid and Phantoon.
Metroids seem more like Assist Trophies to me, if they keep the concept of Assist Trophies.

Ridley has the most history with Samus since he is almost in every game.

Groose

Smash Champion

Allow me to clear up this misconception. The Japanese Miiverse post doesn't refer to an enemy from Samus' past: it refers to Samus' trauma. Samus really only has three traumas: The Baby, Ridley, and Adam's Authorization Crisis. Of these, only Ridley is an enemy; therefore, the post talks about Ridley.
He beat me... to the punch... oops.​

Top Bottom