• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I checked this thread on a whim and was surprised to find myself getting name-dropped in an argument. I'm just a magnet for this stuff, even in topics I don't frequent, haha.

Even though I've built up a bit of a reputation as being the resident "Ridley detractor" over on the Leak/Rumor thread, I'd like to give my genuine condolences. While I may not have agreed with the theories and ideas that have popped up since April, and have locked horns with a few of you (@Con0rrrr, I'm looking at you specifically. :p) over that, I am a Ridley fan. Though I knew it would be the end result, it's still rather sad to see that he's been relegated to NPC boss status once again, and to know that so many people have been disappointed as a result.

I'm on @ChronoBound's side for the most part and think that this DLC crusade is just another dead end in a string of dead ends, but if you guys want to continue to remain hopeful, go for it. I think this is at least more realistic than the shadow theories and the exclusive theory.

Best of luck to all of you, whether you're after DLC or a Project M debut.

I hope most of you are enjoying the game for what it is, though. One character shouldn't make-or-break it, no matter how big they happen to be. The 3DS version is fantastic, and the Wii U version is shaping up to be even better; there's still plenty to be excited about!

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Demonized?

Yeah, Ridley and his fans are the butt of some jokes here and there but not much has changed honestly.

Also, while some people may not be happy with it, but Ridley is pretty much Smash Bros own Godwin Law now. That is, as long as Smash Bros as a franchise continues, Ridley discussion will never go away and he will always be brought to the forefront.

He's not going anywhere.

---

Also, again while I thought the decision to reopen the topic not a wise one why do people want a thread locked just because of a little argument? By two people? That a mod already stepped in to stop? And if they don't stop will likely get warnings? Seriously, I'm genuinely confused.

I think that we should prepare a big movement. A REALLY big (pun intended) movement, somewhat underground.

Then the minute Sakurai announces Smash 5, or says that he will start work on it, we launch.
This would put us one step ahead of all the other fanbases.
I hate to be this guy, but we probably should of done what the other Pirates (Kutthroats) did with a whole movement. Whoops! That's what we get for not planning ahead :p

What needs to happen:
  1. Get answers from Sakurai himself. I think there's a good chance he will weigh in on Ridley.
    • If he goes the route of Chrom and pretty much craps all over us ("He's not suitable to be a fighter") then Ridley fans need to be really careful here. They need to focus on their efforts on proving Sakurai at large that he can work and don't just give up and still scream for him. We don't want to become like the Geno or Krystal fanbases which really died off.
  2. No matter what answer we get, be proactive. Hacks, mods, Ridley designs, etc. would all be good. Hacks whether for brawl/project M or, hopefully, eventually Wii U hacks. Generally need to get a big enough avenue where the big guys can see it.
  3. I personally believe that DLC will likely end at a dead end, but I think most fans should make it clear to Nintendo/Sakurai that we didn't want Bosss Ridley and will only settle for playable RIdley. Whether that comes in the form of DLC for this game or a playable character in the next, keep letting them know what we want.
  4. I know once the Wii U version drops many here will part ways (I likely will) but keep the Ridley dream alive and spread it around. If the previous stuff doesn't work, then next Smash 5 we will be right back here as crazy as ever, unfaltered. Again, if we get to the point where we are the Geno/Krystal fanbase then we will have likely been defeated.
It doesn't matters how great game is. Bad things about it should not be ignoret because of that. Artifact Hunting without a guide shouldn't be ignored because Metroid Prime is good and so shouldn't such messed up representation of certain franchises and bad choices be. We should not just eat it up and ignore such noticable issues because "its great and we should be grateful for it". I agree its a great game, but some decisions are clearly bad.
Something to keep in mind that Pyrosphere might come back as a returning stage for future installments.
Do you think it's going to return, or is it too early to tell?
If there's a new Metroid game by then I doubt it.

...Do any of you remember if Ridley was planned for Melee? I've been having crazy fantasies of creating an HD remake of Melee, with some asthetic changes to the fighters that don't affect their teir placement, and DLC for characters that were scrapped from being in the original. Sonic is in the game as a teaser to this DLC, and these DLC characters are Lucas, King Dedede, Wario, maaaaybe Olimar, and Ridley.
Nope. Sakurai wasn't even aware of the demand for Ridley in Brawl so it's doubtful that he cared about him in Melee.

Also, back then, Ridley was nothing more then a Boss Mook of Mother Brain. He got so popular though because of the fight with him and the fact that he stole the baby Metroid, which gave him more prominence and attention from the creators. Likely why they made him Samus' arch-nemesis instead of Mother Brain or Kraid.

First off, quit arguing about Ridley. It's not worth it.
B-but mod-sama...

Ridley is love, Ridley is life. Embarrass

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
No. And i really doubt he would be planned at that time since his role was just a little bit more important than Kraid's (he steals Baby Metroid...and that is the only thing that made him a bit more important at that time), so, it is very unlikely.
Nope. Sakurai wasn't even aware of the demand for Ridley in Brawl so it's doubtful that he cared about him in Melee.
I swear he was being worked on, but his wings and tail caused problems...

Screw it, I'll lie about it when the day comes. :colorful:

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Demonized?

Yeah, Ridley and his fans are the butt of some jokes here and there but not much has changed honestly.

Also, while some people may not be happy with it, but Ridley is pretty much Smash Bros own Godwin Law now. That is, as long as Smash Bros as a franchise continues, Ridley discussion will never go away and he will always be brought to the forefront.

He's not going anywhere.

---

Also, again while I thought the decision to reopen the topic not a wise one why do people want a thread locked just because of a little argument? By two people? That a mod already stepped in to stop? And if they don't stop will likely get warnings? Seriously, I'm genuinely confused.

I hate to be this guy, but we probably should of done what the other Pirates (Kutthroats) did with a whole movement. Whoops! That's what we get for not planning ahead :p

What needs to happen:
  1. Get answers from Sakurai himself. I think there's a good chance he will weigh in on Ridley.
    • If he goes the route of Chrom and pretty much craps all over us ("He's not suitable to be a fighter") then Ridley fans need to be really careful here. They need to focus on their efforts on proving Sakurai at large that he can work and don't just give up and still scream for him. We don't want to become like the Geno or Krystal fanbases which really died off.
  2. No matter what answer we get, be proactive. Hacks, mods, Ridley designs, etc. would all be good. Hacks whether for brawl/project M or, hopefully, eventually Wii U hacks. Generally need to get a big enough avenue where the big guys can see it.
  3. I personally believe that DLC will likely end at a dead end, but I think most fans should make it clear to Nintendo/Sakurai that we didn't want Bosss Ridley and will only settle for playable RIdley. Whether that comes in the form of DLC for this game or a playable character in the next, keep letting them know what we want.
  4. I know once the Wii U version drops many here will part ways (I likely will) but keep the Ridley dream alive and spread it around. If the previous stuff doesn't work, then next Smash 5 we will be right back here as crazy as ever, unfaltered. Again, if we get to the point where we are the Geno/Krystal fanbase then we will have likely been defeated.

If there's a new Metroid game by then I doubt it.

Also, back then, Ridley was nothing more then a Boss Mook of Mother Brain. He got so popular though because of the fight with him and the fact that he stole the baby Metroid, which gave him more prominence and attention from the creators. Likely why they made him Samus' arch-nemesis instead of Mother Brain or Kraid.

B-but mod-sama...

Ridley is love, Ridley is life. Embarrass
where exactly can we make a petition or anything to have nintendo hear our voices? i think its high time we as a community gather ourselves and tell nintendo about our desire to have ridley (and other high demanded characters) become playable, whether in this smash bros, or the next one.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I swear he was being worked on, but his wings and tail caused problems...

Screw it, I'll lie about it when the day comes. :colorful:
Why would he be if he was so unimportant? Then why not make Dyna Blade playable too? Or Dark Matter? Or whatever other boss that wasn't very important at that time? Only after Metroid Prime he started to become important and iconic to the franchise.
And for some reasons, while i was typing this reply, this "box" was flashing like emoticon you used.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry everyone, there are plenty of other pockets of the internet that get just as narcissistic about ridiculous things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, seeing the horrible modified Other M Ridley model at the same time seeing the Mewtwo is coming back…I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
I don't think "end of an era" is an appropriate subtitle. It implies having ultimately given up.

Among the scores of people who came in here recently, we've had some trolls, but we've also had some really cool people come to encourage us to continue making our voices heard and keep fighting for a playable Ridley. Be it the slim chance he has at DLC or Project M, I still have high hopes for him. We just need to continue letting Nintendo and Sakurai know what we want. I don't believe it's truly the end of an era.

Unless I'm missing the point of the phrase, in which case just ignore me lol.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't think "end of an era" is an appropriate subtitle. It implies having ultimately given up.

Among the scores of people who came in here recently, we've had some trolls, but we've also had some really cool people come to encourage us to continue making our voices heard and keep fighting for a playable Ridley. Be it the slim chance he has at DLC or Project M, I still have high hopes for him. We just need to continue letting Nintendo and Sakurai know what we want. I don't believe it's truly the end of an era.

I think its more like "this era has ended, but new era has begun" instead of just "its all over now".

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's the dawn of a new era.

"I'm down, but I ain't out. Go beat the snot outta my annoyin' clone, and I'll see ya next mission!"

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'll just say that the avoidance of actually showing Ridley was very poorly handled, and what he was eventually reduced to is simply embarrassing. I'm not even a big Metroid fan, but I admire you guys for not cracking after being **** on again.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I haven't spoken in this thread since it's been re-opened, but in case the point hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring up the idea that Ridley was originally planned and intended to be playable. The way he moves and the way he attacks, coupled with the fact he has a rolling animation leads me to believe this is true. I believe that since he isn't playable however, that the mother trucking 3DS version also ruined his chances and that while he isn't on the Pyrosphere, he's crying in a corner with Popo and Nana.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I haven't spoken in this thread since it's been re-opened, but in case the point hasn't been brought up, I would like to bring up the idea that Ridley was originally planned and intended to be playable. The way he moves and the way he attacks, coupled with the fact he has a rolling animation leads me to believe this is true. I believe that since he isn't playable however, that the mother trucking 3DS version also ruined his chances and that while he isn't on the Pyrosphere, he's crying in a corner with Popo and Nana.
I'm not alone in feeling that Smash 3DS has been a millstone on this game's potential.

Don't get me wrong, it's absofreakin'lutely amazing that they got such a great amount of Smash packed into the 3DS. I just feel like they shouldn't have made the Wii U version be leashed to it so tightly.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace

I'm actually pretty annoyed, Wingman and yellow devil was by far the most frustrating inclusion of Smash, and Stage bosses are the stupidest idea ever.

D

Deleted member

Its all good man, no need to explode. You're right to an extent, but let's keep in mind that Sakurai delivered on an exceptional high-quality game. His roster choices aren't always the best, but ultimately, he made Smash Bros what it is, and we should be more thankful we got another game than we are. This game is his passion, so to say he doesn't deserve to be its director is an incredible insult. His decisions are not always the smartest, most sensible, most professional or controversy free. But he makes great games and Mewtwo as DLC is proof that he cares, along with Mega Man, Villager, Shulk, removed tripping, For Glory, Omega stages etc.

Sakurai gave us a great game. No game is going to have everything you may want or expect. His handling of Ridley is not as unprofessional as people believe. He hyped him up because he is so dynamic and his execution as a boss is unique and time-consuming to complete. He flat-out told us Ridley would be a boss on April 8th. Most people just didn't want to believe it. They waited til now to show him so that we could at least appreciate how good of a boss he ended up being. Sakurai isn't being mean-spirited or ignoring his fans. He's compromising; he let's us make some decisions, and him and his team make others. We don't deserve the entire say over the game because its not our work; its not our heart and souls being poured into its creation. Its Sakurai and the team. The man has a right to make some choices as he sees fit.

And the way he sees it, Ridley isn't possible. If a new director comes along and decides he is, great. But to push the series creator off his pedestal because we didn't get a character is selfish and exaggerated. If this game wasn't his passion and he didn't appreciate Nintendo's history, we wouldn't have Smash. And if we did, we would get a yearly rehash like CoD or Madden NFL instead of a time-consuming, climactic, well-polished game exploding with new content.

Rant over, I actually liked your post because we share mains in the game, except I put Yoshi slightly above Robin and Shulk.
Thank you for saying this. One of the best posts I've seen in a long time.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai gave us a great game. No game is going to have everything you may want or expect. His handling of Ridley is not as unprofessional as people believe. He hyped him up because he is so dynamic and his execution as a boss is unique and time-consuming to complete. He flat-out told us Ridley would be a boss on April 8th. Most people just didn't want to believe it. They waited til now to show him so that we could at least appreciate how good of a boss he ended up being. Sakurai isn't being mean-spirited or ignoring his fans. He's compromising; he let's us make some decisions, and him and his team make others. We don't deserve the entire say over the game because its not our work; its not our heart and souls being poured into its creation. Its Sakurai and the team. The man has a right to make some choices as he sees fit.
Yup!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

I was getting to the point just now, but got caught up.

As many probably figured, it's been decided that it is in the best interest of both the support group and staff for this thread and all further discussion on Ridley is to be put on (possibly permanent) hiatus until further developments arise, and it has either been shown that he can realistically become a downloadable fighter in the future, or that there are no chances/plan for him to be playable.

This is in accordance with some new guidelines regarding DLC/future content and SSB4 3DS/Wii U Character Discussion overall.

1. We reopened character discussion on the news that DLC characters were possible

2. This section is now concerned with possible DLC inclusions, and although there are no rules or precedence for something like this, in general we feel that this section should now be clear of characters which are already implemented into the game (Assist Trophy, Pokeball, stage boss/hazards, character movesets/victory screens, etc.).

While all things considered, Ridley would by popularity be a must wanted inclusion, and it could still happen. However, we have nothing to go on, and Ridley discussion being in a public space is very prone to trolling and flaming, as has been seen thus far with it's reopening.
tl;dr

Ridley discussion unfortunately attracts negative discussion (flaming/trolling/general salt and off topic posting) from both sides. Whilst this thread could be left open to discuss Ridley's inclusion as a stage hazard, or his slim chances as a DLC-add-on, this would be better covered in either a specific Stage Discussion thread, or in the tried-and-true Social Group section.

Discussions in a private space/social group have been more tame and less volatile and we would like to support and approve of people still using them for their favourite characters.
With the recent closing/disbanding from the Forgotten All-Stars Alliance group, the majority of us have relocated here for the time being:

http://smashboards.com/social-forums/space-pirates-luxurious-mansion.1760/

I'm giving it a brief time for everyone to get their last posts in, but it will most likely be within 24 hours.

NO THIS DOES MEAN "told you so/I was right all along/inb4lock" POSTS ARE ALLOWED.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Apparently, I told her so. :<

I know it's a bit wishy washy to see this thread rebirth only to have it closed down again so shortly, but there have been a lot of negatives recently and its hard justifying them all when we have other options available. The next time we see each other in this context could very well be in his own subforum; at which stage, my goodness the flood gates will be all but non-existent and we'll have to jump hoops with a new modus operandi to make it work, but we'll be excited nonetheless to see it occur!

Zynux

Smash Lord
One last thing before we have yet another self-destruct sequence, always remember this infamous Metroid password:

ENGAGE RIDLEY

MOTHER ******

One day, we will be able to ENGAGE RIDLEY in Smash Bros of a playable variety and not as a Boss.

Peace out. No regrets being a passenger of the Ridley train.

choo choo~

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This thread is getting closed? Finally. Its sad to see this thread filled with this before it gets closed. I wish it went off before September.
I had a feeling that this will happen when this WiiU direct was announced and i was right, unfortunately. Instead of what we wanted, we've got yet another lame stage pinata/punching bag. What a horrible night it was for me to have a punching bag Ridley announced. Still, the ride was fun and being passenger of that train is something i will rememer and maybe even repeat later. I will build a wagon (Ridley mod) for another train (Project M) to somehow continue this ride until main train will be rebuilt, even if that won't happen.
Very well then, shall be it. See you next mission.

...that was a weird thing to write for a last post. Im glad social thread is revived anyhow (not that Forgotten All-Stars one). Is it locked like previous one to keep away trolls and tears collectors (this is basically same thing, but whatever)? Or public like this one?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, after seeing how Ridley fights on Pyrosphere, I am not impressed. He doesn't look unique... okay, so he uses his claws to scratch, that's never been done before in Smash... he breathes fire, that's totally original... really, what makes him unique? What new stuff does he has to bring to the table? I mean, yes... Ridley's inclusion would make (certain) people want to buy the game... but I am not seeing how Ridley would be unique nor does he fit into the style of Smash... nor does he contribute to the game balance (IMO, he's too big that it's like playing a permanent Giga Bowser with wings).

Chase

Smash Ace
Wow. After all the memories I've made in this thread, it's finally over...I was originally a lurker around this thread and the K. Rool thread before joining, and it's a decision I will never regret. See you next mission, and space pirates never falter.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Honestly, after seeing how Ridley fights on Pyrosphere, I am not impressed. He doesn't look unique... okay, so he uses his claws to scratch, that's never been done before in Smash... he breathes fire, that's totally original... really, what makes him unique? What new stuff does he has to bring to the table? I mean, yes... Ridley's inclusion would make (certain) people want to buy the game... but I am not seeing how Ridley would be unique nor does he fit into the style of Smash... nor does he contribute to the game balance (IMO, he's too big that it's like playing a permanent Giga Bowser with wings).
(I am not counting their first appearances if it was in 64 or Melee ONLY if they were clones there)
Luigi. Unique? No. Ganondorf. Unique? No. Charizard in this game? Unique? No. Lucas. Unique? No. Wolf. Unique? No. Falco. Unique? No. Duck Hunt Dog? Unique? No. Diddy Kong. Unique? No. Every FE character that isn't Robin. Unique? No. Toon Link. Unique? No. That is enough for the list. Characters don't have to be unique on Ice Climbers' level to be included. And the way he fights on Pyrosphere doesn't properly represents him (they even got something very important completly wrong - his tail counts as a hitbox in SSB4 even though it always was invincible in Metroid games), so, it doesn't counts. Also, no one uses tail for more than 2 attacks in any of SSB games, so, there is that.
His size would never be kept same as in Metroid games. Characters like Pikachu, Ganondorf, Kirby characters, Olimar, etc. were resized to fit this game, so, he would be resized too. Size is a disadvantage in SSB since it allows comboes to work for longer since those characters don't fly off that far and it is very easy to hit them. Size is one of the reasons Bowser sucks prior to SSB4 (he was also resized in SSB4 to be smaller). Giga Bowser is so powerful because his damage and knockback values are very high and he is very heavy. Remove or balance first 2 and he will be a complete joke. It also doesn't matters how strong character is in the original games because we have Ganondorf and Palutena.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Well...I might aswell put up my future for the Smash community again in case someone runs into these ruins, and digs stuff up at the end. http://smashboards.com/threads/an-open-letter.370567/#post-17687089

I would like to make a few comments about the people who have been here with us.

@ IsmaR IsmaR I dunno why, but I always looked at you as an older sibling, protecting the law of the thread, and showing compassion to the people when necessary. Considering this is the first thread I've ever watched, I'm stunned by how much has happened in just three months, and how much I've learned from these people. So considering this is my first watched thread, of course I'm gonna find myself having a connection with the mod.

I remember a guy with a pony Dalek icon a while back, and I'm surprised he hasn't left us with any last words. I remember saying something about myself worrying about getting too cocky. He quickly responded to me with "blame me, then; I'm a cocky b*stard."... I guess I should be going Freddy Crouger on him now, should I? :troll:

There was one guy I definately didn't like on this thread, and probably the only reason I ever had that one sliver of hope he'd be completely wrong. He stereotyped himself by saying Ridley's chances are pure-fact 100%, and that Jigglypuff will be cut... Yeeeaah, personally glad Ridley ain't playable, looking back at him.

Everyone else seems to be the same to me. AndreaC brought comedic art for us on a regular basis, Aldelaro5 gave us hope with long, hard speculations, and we've even got people from the outside cheering on us. It taught me alot on respect, and how unfair it has become for fans being bullied for who they want playable.

Now with that said and done, everyone will have to improve on their attitude in some way. If we want to clear the name of the Ridley fans, then we must all learn to be like monks, and respect everything regardless of opinion. If one thinks he's too big or wouldn't work, it is his opinion; you do not act unless he enforces that stuff, and even then, it will be in civil self-defence. I feel we must also show our displeasure only in a civil manner, and continue to be thankful for all the amazing content that we do have in these games. If we continue to just focus on what the game isn't then you will end up looking spoiled, no matter how justified your word may be.

Crap...why do I have to stay up so late? I can't even think of a concluding sentence, I'm so tired.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
(I am not counting their first appearances if it was in 64 or Melee ONLY if they were clones there)
Luigi. Unique? No. Ganondorf. Unique? No. Charizard in this game? Unique? No. Lucas. Unique? No. Wolf. Unique? No. Falco. Unique? No. Duck Hunt Dog? Unique? No. Diddy Kong. Unique? No. Every FE character that isn't Robin. Unique? No. Toon Link. Unique? No. That is enough for the list. Characters don't have to be unique on Ice Climbers' level to be included. And the way he fights on Pyrosphere doesn't properly represents him (they even got something very important completly wrong - his tail counts as a hitbox in SSB4 even though it always was invincible in Metroid games), so, it doesn't counts. Also, no one uses tail for more than 2 attacks in any of SSB games, so, there is that.
His size would never be kept same as in Metroid games. Characters like Pikachu, Ganondorf, Kirby characters, Olimar, etc. were resized to fit this game, so, he would be resized too. Size is a disadvantage in SSB since it allows comboes to work for longer since those characters don't fly off that far and it is very easy to hit them. Size is one of the reasons Bowser sucks prior to SSB4 (he was also resized in SSB4 to be smaller). Giga Bowser is so powerful because his damage and knockback values are very high and he is very heavy. Remove those and he will have only long range and large size.
So.... what is your point?

Making the other characters look bad to make Ridley look good?

I think you are also confusing an unique moveset with a not-a-clone moveset.

Take Chrom... supporters say he could be unique if he used other stuff that Marth and Ike don't use... like lances and whatnot... detractors say that's not unique enough... what the supporters were suggesting was a not-a-clone moveset.... what the detractors wanted was an unique moveset... something Robin provided.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So.... what is your point?

Making the other characters look bad to make Ridley look good?
My point is characters don't have to be unique to be playale. Duh. Did you even read my post past this point? I said it already in my post:
That is enough for the list. Characters don't have to be unique on Ice Climbers' level to be included.
Here, if you failed to notice it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My point is characters don't have to be unique to be playale. Duh. Did you even read my post past this point? I said it already in my post:

Here, if you failed to notice it.
You are right.. they don't have to be Ice Climbers-level unique to get in... they will just be included as clones and semi-clones instead.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You are right.. they don't have to be Ice Climbers-level unique to get in... they will just be included as clones and semi-clones instead.
  • Marth, Meta Knight and Ike. There is already a character who uses a sword (Link), so, why we need them?
  • Captain Falcon. There is already a character who uses punches and kick (Mario), so, why we need him?
  • Charizard. There is already a character who uses claw swipes and fire (Bowser), so, why we need him?
  • Mewtwo. There is already a character who uses darkness (Ganondorf and Giga Bowser...kinda...) and there is a character who use telekenesis thing/magic (Zelda), so, why we need it?
  • Greninja. There is already a ninja character (Sheik) and a character who uses water (Squirtle), so, why we need them?
  • Peach. There is already a princess (Zelda) and a character who throws items (Link), so, why we need her?
Are those semi-clones or clones? No. Are they unique? No. Are they playable? Yes. So, my point still stands. Oh, and no one uses tail for more than 2 attacks if you will find excuses for characters i listed. So, Ridley could be unique if he uses tail for more attacks like Side Tilt, A Jab combo, Up Tilt, Down Air, Back Air, Forward Air, etc. Unless there is another excuse for them.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Warning Received
  • Marth, Meta Knight and Ike. There is already a character who uses a sword (Link), so, why we need them?
  • Captain Falcon. There is already a character who uses punches and kick (Mario), so, why we need him?
  • Charizard. There is already a character who uses claw swipes and fire (Bowser), so, why we need him?
  • Mewtwo. There is already a character who uses darkness (Ganondorf and Giga Bowser...kinda...) and there is a character who use telekenesis thing/magic (Zelda), so, why we need it?
  • Greninja. There is already a ninja character (Sheik) and a character who uses water (Squirtle), so, why we need them?
  • Peach. There is already a princess (Zelda) and a character who throws items (Link), so, why we need her?
Are those semi-clones or clones? No. Are they unique? No. Are they playable? Yes. So, my point still stands. Oh, and no one uses tail for more than 2 attacks if you will find excuses for characters i listed. So, Ridley could be unique if he uses tail for more attacks like Side Tilt, A Jab combo, Up Tilt, Down Air, Back Air, Forward Air, etc. Unless there is another excuse for them.
You are being ridiculous with these comparisons. Why are you comparing apples and oranges? Just because they are fruits doesn't mean they are the same that you have to pick apples OR oranges.... what if lemons and pears brought in new flavors? :awesome:

Link is a swordfighter who uses projectiles. Marth is a fast swordfighter who doesn't use projectiles. Ike is a slow/stronger swordfighter who doesn't use projectiles. Meta Knight is a fast swordfighter who can fly.

Mario can punch and kick but he also use fireballs and a cape. Captain Falcon just punches and kicks. Little Mac just punches... looks like we need a new fighter who just kicks. :troll:

Bowser can use claw swipes and breathe fire... so can Charizard except he can fly. (Ridley can do both so what does he need to have in order to stand out from them?)

Mewtwo is not a dark-type Pokemon. He is a psychic-type Pokemon who happens to know a ghost-type move (Shadow Ball). Ganondorf may know dark magic but he infuses his dark magic to his punches and kicks, making him a last-minute clone of Captain Falcon with dark magic instead of fire. The only reason Ganondorf is in the game in the first place was because he was a last-minute filler clone in Melee.

Greninja and Sheik may be like ninjas... except Greninja uses water to power his moves... and is more ninja-like than Sheik is (sneaking in the shadows, throwing shurikens)... and Squirtle isn't in the game... but assuming he still is, Greninja cannot withdraw into a shell and he doesn't shoot water from his mouth like Squirtle does. Good thing there are many water-type moves in Pokemon games.

Peach and Zelda are both princesses but that's just their titles.... and titles don't mean anything in Smash. Peach uses Toad, vegetables, and a parasol in addition to slaps and kicks... Zelda uses magic.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You are being ridiculous with these comparisons. Why are you comparing apples and oranges? Just because they are fruits doesn't mean they are the same that you have to pick apples OR oranges.... what if lemons and pears brought in new flavors? :awesome:

Link is a swordfighter who uses projectiles. Marth is a fast swordfighter who doesn't use projectiles. Ike is a slow/stronger swordfighter who doesn't use projectiles. Meta Knight is a fast swordfighter who can fly.

Mario can punch and kick but he also use fireballs and a cape. Captain Falcon just punches and kicks. Little Mac just punches... looks like we need a new fighter who just kicks. :troll:

Bowser can use claw swipes and breathe fire... so can Charizard except he can fly. (Ridley can do both so what does he need to have in order to stand out from them?)

Mewtwo is not a dark-type Pokemon. He is a psychic-type Pokemon who happens to know a ghost-type move (Shadow Ball). Ganondorf may know dark magic but he infuses his dark magic to his punches and kicks, making him a last-minute clone of Captain Falcon with dark magic instead of fire. The only reason Ganondorf is in the game in the first place was because he was a last-minute filler clone in Melee.

Greninja and Sheik may be like ninjas... except Greninja uses water to power his moves... and is more ninja-like than Sheik is (sneaking in the shadows, throwing shurikens)... and Squirtle isn't in the game... but assuming he still is, Greninja cannot withdraw into a shell and he doesn't shoot water from his mouth like Squirtle does. Good thing there are many water-type moves in Pokemon games.

Peach and Zelda are both princesses but that's just their titles.... and titles don't mean anything in Smash. Peach uses Toad, vegetables, and a parasol in addition to slaps and kicks... Zelda uses magic.
Then Ridley uses claw swipes, but they are faster and last one has long endlag and high knockback. He also uses tail like a rope dart/javelin (basically a blade attacked to a rope), but instead of just impaling, it would also slash, so, this could be something new. Bladed tip, of course, would deal more damage and knockback while other part of the tail would be just meh. He also could have a flight meter that would allow him to freely move in the air until it runs out and then he will have to wait for it to recharge by remaining on the ground for some time. He could also be overall superiour in the air and just meh on the ground (mostly because of the endlag or start up in attacks). So, he can bring new stuff to the table even if he is not fully original or completly unique.

Self-explanatory.
They are more like this:

But there is some idiots among us too. That is impossible to avoid.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ridley would fit well as an heavyweight aerial fighter.
Thought that was Charizard or King Dedede... did you mean a heavyweight fighter who can stay in the air for a long time... kinda like a metal Jigglypuff or a metal Peach?

I am concerned that this would be broken... I mean, heavyweight fighters are very hard to knock off... and if we give them aerial mobility like Jigglypuff or Peach... it would be frustrating to KO them when they keep coming back after we finally knock them off the stage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Thought that was Charizard or King Dedede... did you mean a heavyweight fighter who can stay in the air for a long time... kinda like a metal Jigglypuff or a metal Peach?

I am concerned that this would be broken... I mean, heavyweight fighters are very hard to knock off... and if we give them aerial mobility like Jigglypuff or Peach... it would be frustrating to KO them when they keep coming back after we finally knock them off the stage.
That is why Ridley should be middleweight character. He isn't a bulky or fat character like Dedede, Donkey Kong or Bowser and he can also fly (and that requires being light, but Ridley has very strong wings, so, he doesn't has to be too lightweighted), so, it doesn't makes any sense for him to be heavy. So, he will be a big character who isn't heavy enough for his size, which will make him weaker, but will balance out tail invincibility.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Since the thread is in for an imminent lock, I'd like for our last few posts to be happy ones. Unfortunately I don't have any beautiful encouraging words (I need to put thought into those) or size jokes :p Other than the obvious pun about this thread being the biggest character support thread ever.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If you want something funny, then remember this image:

Then look at this:

Then imagine him with real Charizard using purple textures. If you first thought that he was flipping you off/giving you the finger, then you are not alone - there as been at least 4 peoples who thought of same thing when seeing this.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24

I don't think you understand, I think I can speak for most Ridley fans when I say that we don't care how his moveset is implemented. We don't want Ridley for the moveset, we want Ridley for the character. In the end if his moves aren't 'unique' I doubt that many Ridley supporters would mind. His uniqueness isn't a factor for us, because in our minds Ridley is already unique.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I hate the Other M design. It's like it was designed by a 4-year old who just drank 6 sodas. Spikes everywhere, overbearing muscles, poor colors, etc.

I'd rather they use the Brawl design, like the KO icon.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, it's been fun, guys. While I'm content with his use in SSB4, I'm really hoping he's in next time. While we're hated on, and called scum, there's way more positive, dedicated, amazing fans than there are the stereotypical Ridley fanboys people claim we are.

Although we may have denied it, there was one thing for sure: The Ridley fanbase was too big for anybody to ignore. And that's why we rock.

Until next time, Space Pirates.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
If you want something funny, then remember this image:

Then look at this:

Then imagine him with real Charizard using purple textures. If you first thought that he was flipping you off/giving you the finger, then you are not alone - there as been at least 4 peoples who thought of same thing when seeing this.
I had to look twice to realize that Ridley was going shhh instead of giving the finger. lol

Top Bottom