• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh well its been fun.... I still gonna have fun with the game even with the lame unlocks (except duck hunt dawg, wario, and ness. Imma enjoy them) HAHAHAHAHA, ITS FINALLY OVER NOW I CAN REST!

Last edited:

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I'm seriously annoyed with this roster. Sakurai managed to avoid pretty much all major villains and be as biased as possible.

Whelp at least there is PM. The PMBR seems to actually listen to fans.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Ughh if this truly is the outcome, why didn't Sakurai just flat out say Ridley wasn't playable, like every other character...
He was hyping up whatever boss battle mode is in the wii u version. I kind of got that gist from Ridley and really felt it for metal face

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
To the people saying "see you in 7 years":
No, we ****ing WON'T EVER see playable Ridley now. Not in a million years. If Sakurai is blind to the fan demand that even MEWTWO gathers, and simply DOESN'T give a conclusive statement about the fate of THE SINGLE most controversial Smash character, then I've given up on him. Same goes for K Rool. Mewtwo is gone for good as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for Snake. And every 3rd party candidate. Isaac doesn't even look to be an assist trophy this time around. 2 franchises lost characters, 2 franchises are NO LONGER REPRESENTED BY CHARACTERS AT ALL, and Metroid has Samus and Samus again for it's character"s". But we can expect Sakurai to add 2 more characters from his own franchise to the next set of games. I wouldn't put it past him. So, who's ready for him to "cut down on the clones" again? Don't be, he'll add another 3 and take a unique character away from you. 100% expecting Robin and Shulk to be cut now because **** the fans right?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well then guys, it's been 2 awesome years at your side, I didn't as much fun in forever.

I will see you when the next game speculation begin, until then have fun with those games, personally I will stick to Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon ORAS.

but before I go I have one more thing to say :

RIDLEY FOR SMASH 5 !

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Fellow Ridley fans, I understand your anger and all of your sorrow. For a year we were left in limbo and ambiguity about Ridley's role in Smash 4. Many believed that the reason for such ambiguity was to build hype. But sadly, we have found out it was nothing more than a cruel and childish joke against us Ridley fans.

There exists a diversity amongst us for how long we have wanted to see the Space Pirate leader in Smash Bros. Some of us have only become Ridley fans during the past year, while others have been fans for the purple space dragon for over 20 years.

Regardless, we have all been supporters of Ridley, and see him as among the few characters left to possibly join the playable roster, worthy of the monicker, Nintendo All-Star. As someone that has wanted Ridley in Smash Bros. ever since I saw Ridley flying in the background to the Planet Zebes stage back in 1999, to have, 15 years later, to have my hopes dashed again is dispiriting to put it mildly.

Nevertheless, I was one of the few ardent Ridley supporters to have resigned himself to the fact that Sakurai is a Too Bigot a year ago when we were first given a cryptic hint as to Ridley's status in Smash 4. A month afterward though, a new avenue of hope emerged.

The only other character I spent a lot of time supporting during the pre-Smash 4 period aside from Ridley was Roy. When the Project M team had unveiled the rebirth of the lord with the fiery sword, I was ecstatic. My dream of finally playing as Roy alongside the rest of the Smash Bros. cast added to Brawl had finally come true. A month later, the other cut veteran I missed, Mewtwo was given a similar treatment.

It was from there that I realized that Project M could perhaps be an "alternative" to Smash 4. The announcement of five additional newcomers after Mewtwo and Roy, made things only sweeter. I worked really hard to build support for Ridley for Project M despite the expectation that he was a "lock" for Smash 4. Other characters that were seen as likely for Smash 4 (such as Little Mac and Palutena) did poorly in the fan poll done for this.

Of the characters that did strongly on the poll, the Top 3 consisted of Isaac, Ridley, and Lyn. There are strong rumors indicating that both Lyn and Isaac will make it into Project M.

Ridley, unfortunately, had and currently still has an extreme reluctance by the team for two factors:

1. The expectation that he was going to be playable in Smash 4.

2. Ridley would be very challenging to make (all of the newcomers to Project M, even non-clones, use an already existing character on the roster as a base, and then build the character from there). The closest there is to a possible base for Ridley is Charizard, and even there is a lot of differences.

Althought the final version for Project M probably won't be released until a year from now (3.5 is going to be this year's release), one year is most likely not enough time to make a high quality playable version of Ridley.

It from this point that I propose, Project R.

As with the dream of a playable Ridley, Sakurai disagrees about Smash Bros. being a competitive fighter, and particularly the way Melee is played. While Sakurai has made amends from the extreme actions of Brawl to make it the un-Melee, and Smash 4 seems to be a better fighter overall, he still has strong words about the direction that Melee had (and those who want that direction). Fans who wanted another Smash Bros. in the tradition of Melee, took it upon themselves to make a hack of Brawl that tried to make the game more like Melee. As the years went on, it became almost its own game (with seven characters that were not in Brawl, a massive selection of alternate costumes, some new modes, and a slew of new or modified stages).

Just as Sakurai feels adamant about not making a Melee 2, he feels the same way about Ridley having playable status. While we can gnash our teeth and call Sakurai various names, the more productive way to do things going forward, is to take it upon ourselves to realize our dream. We have to accept for as long as Sakurai has a heavy hand in the Smash Bros. franchise, Ridley will never be playable.

However, that does not mean that we will never be able to play as Ridley in Smash Bros. Just as the fans made an amazing successor to Melee (in terms of its competitive orientated nature and fast gameplay), I think Ridley fans, the fanbase bestowed with the largest fanbase of all characters that have yet to be playable in Smash Bros., should take it upon themselves to show the rest of the Smash Bros. community, that a high quality playable version of Ridley could work.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ridley deserves playable status, and that he can work as a playable character.

However, its going to take lots of time and lots of effort.

For one, if we do go forward with Project R, we should not use Ridley's Brawl boss model as the playable model for Ridley.

Instead, we should probably make an entirely new model for Ridley (probably based off his Zero Mission incarnation seeing as that was the most recent incarnation for the organic Ridley as the time of Brawl's release).

Ridley is going to be extraordinarily challenging to implement and have a quality on par with the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. It remains to be seen if even the Project M team will be able to create a set of their own newcomers on par with Sakurai's own creations (though the quality of their Mewtwo and Roy has me hopeful).

The first phase to Project R will be to see if we can petition to the Project M team for them to consider Ridley to be among their five newcomers for the project. However, this will have to be conditional. We must offer them more than just our pounding and hollering and massive fan request tidal wave.

For one, the Project M team is in desperate need of quality animators (this is among the primary reasons why it has taken them so long to complete their own original newcomers). Since we have the largest fanbase of all potential newcomer fanbases, any Ridley fans who have abilities as animators or model makes should apply to join the team, and be prepared to dedicate massive amounts of time not only towards Ridley, but seeing to it Project M's final completion.

However, even if in the event if all of our massive support and if quality animators/programmers step forward, is not enough to convince them to include Ridley, we should not let that deter us.

No... the Ridley fanbase has been fighting far too long for that.

Instead we should instead go ahead with our own independent Project R. Perhaps request the Project M team for access to the Clone Engine. From there we can develop a high quality playable version of Ridley at our own pace. In the end (it may take until late 2015 at the earliest or late 2016 at the latest), we will decide which of the five newcomers from the final version of Project M to "overwrite" and include Ridley.

However, considering the popularity and exposure for Project M, it would be for the best to try and make it so that Ridley does end up being included (though I have been told by multiple members of the team that this will be an uphill battle).

There is truly no character like Ridley left yet to include in Smash Bros. Ridley has had a massive fanbase to be in Smash Bros. ever since the Melee unveil trailer back during E3 2001 (you can even hear the cheers when Ridley is shown). 13 years later, the dreams of a large portion of Smash Bros. fans, still have not been realized.

Let US realize that dream!

Ridley for Smash Bros.: NOW AND FOR ETERNITY. Regardless of what Sakurai thinks and believes.
Very well. If there truly is no other option available, let's do that. If we can't have our fun, we will CREATE our fun.

SPACE PIRATES! OUR JOURNEY HAS NOT ENDED YET! GET THE **** BACK ON BOARD AND GRAB YOUR SPACE-OARS! TO CONSOLIDATION PRIZE! I MEAN VICTORY!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well that was hell of a ride.

I know a lot of you are disappointed. But we still have an awesome game on our hands. I’m really looking forward to fighting you guys online when the game drops in the US. It’s also important to take this disappointment in a reasonable way. We don’t need to get too upset. But I knew there was chance it wasn’t going to happen. Still I don’t regret supporting the character. I still like Ridley, and I’d still be happy to see him be playable in a Smash game at some point. I can understand that most of the disappointment might come from Sakurai just teasing a boss and whatnot.

If some of you want to, we could do a DLC campaign thing. But I’d rather wait on that. And there’s always Project M for those interested in that.

Either way, I hope you all take me up on the offer when I get the chance to act on it. I’m really looking forward to this game. Even if I'd want one or two more characters. I’m not even sure I’ll be able to pass this message on to you dudes and dudettes, given that the site is likely going to crash.

Still, try to remain positive.

Last edited:

TKraix

Smash Rookie
in my opinion it does make no sense to not include Ridley or even Mewtwo ( Dr.Mario over Mewtwo.. WHAT THE ***) If this is the final roster i am highly disappointed.. 3 Kid Icarus reps but only 2 Metroid reps?! Even the Donkey Kong series didn't get Dixie Kong who would only be a clone like Dr.Mario (maybe a bit different). Really... this whole stuff makes no sense.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
so they put dr Mario over mewtwo and wolf? when one of them is more requested then dr Mario... why he didn't put dr Mario to mario like ahlf(pikin) and bowser jr alt ..with a name change? and same thing with dark pit with pit and shadow/dark samus/dark link with name change....and finaly shadow and dry bowser XD but no by doing this it will give more space for wolf mewtwo ridley by putting dr Mario and dark pit on there clone character with name change when you select there costume like bowser jr and olimar

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
I really had faith in Sakurai. But no Mewtwo, no Ridley, no DK rep, no Ice Climbers and Lucas, but 3 goddamn ****ing clones, ********ing WiiFitTrainer and ****ING 3 KID ICARUS CHARACTERS. I lost faith

R0Y

Smash Master
Well then guys, it's been 2 awesome years at your side, I didn't as much fun in forever.

I will see you when the next game speculation begin, until then have fun with those games, personally I will stick to Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon ORAS.

RIDLEY FOR SMASH 5 !
Only if Sakurai and his favouritism is gone. Not salty, I'm being serious, the guy is not infallable.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai confirmed to be a disgusting, power-hungry, expectation playing dictator-developer who doesn't care about what the fans want. This game's officially confirmed to be the worst game on the Smash series, no Ridley, no K. Rool, no Mewtwo, not even Dixie or Chorus Men to throw us off, no Sakurai, NO! I'm THIS close to not buying the game, this IS ABSOLUTE BULL****!

You can't do that, those can't be all the characters we get...I guess I'll enjoy Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 (Two franchises that ACTUALLY DESERVED REPS) because I won't be playing this piece of crap game anytime soon, and I won't buy the Wii U version either.

Yeah, tomorrow's the Smash Stream, there's much fun to be had and streamed with such a sucky, lackluster game. Go back to making Kid Icarus 2, Sakurai, a game you're actually good at making, because you've shown that you have no idea of how to make a Smash game anymore...
Overreaction much? I get you're upset but the only person to blame is yourself for having such unrealistic expectations.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The "confirmation" was way too vague, and it is entirely possible the guy was trolling us. Lets wait for video confirmation before we jump to conclusions.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

RIDLEY FOR SMASH 5 !
Don't bother.
It's obvious at this point that Nintendo wants to forget about Metroid in general. Watch, in 4 years it'll be a deserted franchise like poor F-Zero is.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm still and always have been holding out for DLC since the CSS leak. If no DLC comes beyond that oh well, it was fun speculating.

If Ridley isn't playable when everything is all said and done then get on all aspects of social media and just ask why. Maybe some gaming outlet will actually get a chance to ask Sakurai once enough hysteria is created. But do something on Miiverse, Twitter etc but just ask and maybe we will get some insight.

At the very least we could get info on Sakurai's personal train of thought. Last time I brought this up half of the responses were "it won't accomplish anything" and that's just loser talk. I'll do my part for sure it certainly couldn't hurt.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Actually Sakurai has been known to troll with fake "you unlocked everything" screens, and also, i will wait til i see that message LIVE or in a video, and til someone that actually speaks japanese translated it.

Crystalline Dragon

Smash Rookie
The "confirmation" was way too vague, and it is entirely possiboe the guy was trolling us. Lets wait for video confirmation before we jump to conclusions.
^ I would like to see it happen before anything honestly. Two points of confirmation is better then one. Also do we KNOW what the unlock condition is for ROB?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Very well. If there truly is no other option available, let's do that. If we can't have our fun, we will CREATE our fun.

SPACE PIRATES! OUR JOURNEY HAS NOT ENDED YET! GET THE **** BACK ON BOARD AND GRAB YOUR SPACE-OARS! TO CONSOLIDATION PRIZE! I MEAN VICTORY!
That's the spirit. The Melee enthusiasists didn't just give up when Sakurai repeatedly say he would never make another game like Melee, they just made their own.

We are the largest and most passionate fanbase of all potential newcomers, if anyone can make a high quality playable hack of a character as challenging as Ridley it is us.

We should start a group soon. Just look at how many people are viewing this topic. Over 500!

Ridley is truly the last Nintendo All-Star.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I wouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet. Those images could have rather easily been faked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy didn't even show the bottom screens.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
Haha, all these people saying we'll still get an 'awesome game' regardless, well let me tell you, WE'RE NOT GETTING ANY AWESOME GAME WITH THIS ****TY ROSTER. Everything that was good about the game was hanging on there being 5 more characters, now we can actually confirm that the game sucks and we should only buy it to make a public burning of Smash 3DS and Wii U and retweet it to Sakurai, we can throw in some older Kirbys, Air Ride, Melee, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Brawl boxes there too, oh, and don't forget Smash64 boxes.

THIS. GAME. CONFIRMED. FOR. SUCKING. PERIOD.

And no, don't try to make it better with your 'We can have Project M Ridley' IT'S OVER, SMASH4 SUCKS, that's all that mattered, and now it's gone, I can't even bring myself to cry...I'm just, deeply dissapointed and furious.

Last edited:

TKraix

Smash Rookie
And what is with the guy who leaked all the characters (including Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Chorus Men) and talked about the Bowser Jr. costumes and the 4 Alph costumes. This stuff was right. There only these four characters left. Everything in this leak was right (as i said costumes, etc). I think there is still hope.
http://i.imgur.com/ERZBZqB.jpg

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
I really had faith in Sakurai. But no Mewtwo, no Ridley, no DK rep, no Ice Climbers and Lucas, but ****ty Falcondorf, 3 goddamn ****ing clones, ********ing WiiFitTrainer and ****ING 3 KID ICARUS CHARACTERS. I lost faith

R0Y

Smash Master
If any of you are extremely upset just do something else for a while, seriously. The series can continue without Sakurai. Maybe the next dirctor will care more about the DK and Metroid franchises, and less about Kirby and KI.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
This really does suck...

Still doesn't make sense to me though when the ESRB leak had Allstar mode padlocked still with the roster fully unlocked.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
I understand the lack of Ridley as he's a boss character but no DK newcomer, no Mewtwo despite Dr. Mario and the removal of Ice climbers is unacceptable.

Still going to buy it of course.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
I'm still hyped for this game. I'm buying trice over,3DS and Wii U for me, and 3DS for my cousin. But I am deeply dissapointed and think so much less of Sakurai and Nintendo for this. They had their chance to not screw with the fanbase in August and in April. Instead they teased and tormented a loyal fanbase that would have bought the games anyway, just to ultimately go "NAWLOLJKHEREZDORKPITTLULZ". Kinda hard to be grateful, thankful, or even respectful for a man who needlessly pulls this crap.

Poogy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poogasaurus
Shame, Ridley woulda been pretty rad as playable. Would have probably been kind of awkward or not as fulfilling though, so I guess I can see why. RIP Ridley.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
He was hyping up whatever boss battle mode is in the wii u version. I kind of got that gist from Ridley and really felt it for metal face
Yet it was still not clear, Sakurai always made it clear of a characters role except Ridley. Anyone with eyes can see it was fishy.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The guy who said there were more characters was trolling I guess, all the characters are now unlocked and shown.

So Ridley fans, it has been fun, but as everyone who wasn't desperate saw, he was deconfirmed back in the direct with Greninja.

Ridley was too big.

Top Bottom