• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well.
If that really is it, then really, if Sakurai can't be bothered to give a swift disconfirmation on the matter of an extremely heavily controversial character then I'm just ****ing done with all this.
I just... Blech. I'm still going to buy the game, just maybe only one version instead of both.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Oh no... seriously?

I guess there are the following options now:

1. There are secret secret characters.
2. There will be DLC characters.
3. This is the final roster.

In case of number 3:

Dear Sakurai,

**** you. Not only is this the most lackluster smash roster ever, but also treating us Ridley fans like this was ****ed up.

Crystalline Dragon

Smash Rookie
Oh well. It happens I guess. I am kinda... well meh on the roster this time around still. I am still getting it but really? That's it?

Beanybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
atombeany
3DS FC
2019-9824-4588
...You know what, I ain't even mad. Somehow watching this all unfold makes this roster seem soooo much better than it did at first glance.

That said, Sakurai's still a big jerk for tugging at our heartstrings like that. >w<

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is disappointing. I guess I'll look forward to buffed Bowser.
I suppose I'll be seeing you in half a decade.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Finally we can put this damn thing to an end, I hope people realize now that Sakurai is capable of taking advantage of hype without paying it off, he had an intention by keeping Ridley away obviously, otherwise he'd have deconfirmed him when people began getting the wrong idea. I'm not nearly as torn about it as I was with Brawl's deconfirmation honestly, I'm going to be having a lot of fun regardless, so see you guys on the other side.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dear Sakurai,

**** you. Not only is this the most lackluster smash roster ever, but also treating us Ridley fans like this was ****ed up.
As I said earlier:

The pain of Ridley not being playable this time pretty much means that Sakurai is damn adamant about Ridley never being playable. Ridley fans should go there own way without Sakurai just like the Melee players did.

R0Y

Smash Master
Guys calm down. He was always unlikely with Dark Sakurai at the helm. Wait until next time, when he's hopefully retired and not making poor choices. :)

Also don't cry because the basement-dwelling troll at NeoGAF are lurking.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
On the bright side, if this is it, at least Ridley got in the game in some shape or form.
R.I.P Bayonetta and Impa 4 Smash

Exegguter

Smash Lord
**** sakurai.

I imagine the playable boss thing is true since metal face isn't on gaur place 3ds.

**** sakurai srsly :)

Well. Off to dhd!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I regret nothing.

It's been an honour, my friends. I'd happily relive it infinitely. Hope to keep in touch with you when the game's finally released over here, everybody! ^_^

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Ughh if this truly is the outcome, why didn't Sakurai just flat out say Ridley wasn't playable, like every other character...

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Still wondering about the lack of the Miis.

I'm dissapointed this is all there is to unlock. It's double disheartening. No Ridley, and thanks to the leak, very little to unlock. But at least the game itself will be a blast. Sliver lining and all that.

Kokiris

Smash Cadet
Are you dumb?

Can you just pay attention to the mii absence and stop being stupid?

How can you belive this is legit without the mii? <_____________<

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I guess this really is it then, we've had a good run guys. See you all in the support thread for the next game whenever that is announced.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sakurai confirmed to be a disgusting, power-hungry, expectation playing dictator-developer who doesn't care about what the fans want. This game's officially confirmed to be the worst game on the Smash series, no Ridley, no K. Rool, no Mewtwo, not even Dixie or Chorus Men to throw us off, no Sakurai, NO! I'm THIS close to not buying the game, this IS ABSOLUTE BULL****!

You can't do that, those can't be all the characters we get...I guess I'll enjoy Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 (Two franchises that ACTUALLY DESERVED REPS) because I won't be playing this piece of crap game anytime soon, and I won't buy the Wii U version either.

Yeah, tomorrow's the Smash Stream, there's much fun to be had and streamed with such a sucky, lackluster game. Go back to making Kid Icarus 2, Sakurai, a game you're actually good at making, because you've shown that you have no idea of how to make a Smash game anymore...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Fellow Ridley fans, I understand your anger and all of your sorrow. For a year we were left in limbo and ambiguity about Ridley's role in Smash 4. Many believed that the reason for such ambiguity was to build hype. But sadly, we have found out it was nothing more than a cruel and childish joke against us Ridley fans.

There exists a diversity amongst us for how long we have wanted to see the Space Pirate leader in Smash Bros. Some of us have only become Ridley fans during the past year, while others have been fans for the purple space dragon for over 20 years.

Regardless, we have all been supporters of Ridley, and see him as among the few characters left to possibly join the playable roster, worthy of the monicker, Nintendo All-Star. As someone that has wanted Ridley in Smash Bros. ever since I saw Ridley flying in the background to the Planet Zebes stage back in 1999, to have, 15 years later, to have my hopes dashed again is dispiriting to put it mildly.

Nevertheless, I was one of the few ardent Ridley supporters to have resigned himself to the fact that Sakurai is a Too Bigot a year ago when we were first given a cryptic hint as to Ridley's status in Smash 4. A month afterward though, a new avenue of hope emerged.

The only other character I spent a lot of time supporting during the pre-Smash 4 period aside from Ridley was Roy. When the Project M team had unveiled the rebirth of the lord with the fiery sword, I was ecstatic. My dream of finally playing as Roy alongside the rest of the Smash Bros. cast added to Brawl had finally come true. A month later, the other cut veteran I missed, Mewtwo was given a similar treatment.

It was from there that I realized that Project M could perhaps be an "alternative" to Smash 4. The announcement of five additional newcomers after Mewtwo and Roy, made things only sweeter. I worked really hard to build support for Ridley for Project M despite the expectation that he was a "lock" for Smash 4. Other characters that were seen as likely for Smash 4 (such as Little Mac and Palutena) did poorly in the fan poll done for this.

Of the characters that did strongly on the poll, the Top 3 consisted of Isaac, Ridley, and Lyn. There are strong rumors indicating that both Lyn and Isaac will make it into Project M.

Ridley, unfortunately, had and currently still has an extreme reluctance by the team for two factors:

1. The expectation that he was going to be playable in Smash 4.

2. Ridley would be very challenging to make (all of the newcomers to Project M, even non-clones, use an already existing character on the roster as a base, and then build the character from there). The closest there is to a possible base for Ridley is Charizard, and even there is a lot of differences.

Althought the final version for Project M probably won't be released until a year from now (3.5 is going to be this year's release), one year is most likely not enough time to make a high quality playable version of Ridley.

It from this point that I propose, Project R.

As with the dream of a playable Ridley, Sakurai disagrees about Smash Bros. being a competitive fighter, and particularly the way Melee is played. While Sakurai has made amends from the extreme actions of Brawl to make it the un-Melee, and Smash 4 seems to be a better fighter overall, he still has strong words about the direction that Melee had (and those who want that direction). Fans who wanted another Smash Bros. in the tradition of Melee, took it upon themselves to make a hack of Brawl that tried to make the game more like Melee. As the years went on, it became almost its own game (with seven characters that were not in Brawl, a massive selection of alternate costumes, some new modes, and a slew of new or modified stages).

Just as Sakurai feels adamant about not making a Melee 2, he feels the same way about Ridley having playable status. While we can gnash our teeth and call Sakurai various names, the more productive way to do things going forward, is to take it upon ourselves to realize our dream. We have to accept for as long as Sakurai has a heavy hand in the Smash Bros. franchise, Ridley will never be playable.

However, that does not mean that we will never be able to play as Ridley in Smash Bros. Just as the fans made an amazing successor to Melee (in terms of its competitive orientated nature and fast gameplay), I think Ridley fans, the fanbase bestowed with the largest fanbase of all characters that have yet to be playable in Smash Bros., should take it upon themselves to show the rest of the Smash Bros. community, that a high quality playable version of Ridley could work.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ridley deserves playable status, and that he can work as a playable character.

However, its going to take lots of time and lots of effort.

For one, if we do go forward with Project R, we should not use Ridley's Brawl boss model as the playable model for Ridley.

Instead, we should probably make an entirely new model for Ridley (probably based off his Zero Mission incarnation seeing as that was the most recent incarnation for the organic Ridley as the time of Brawl's release).

Ridley is going to be extraordinarily challenging to implement and have a quality on par with the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. It remains to be seen if even the Project M team will be able to create a set of their own newcomers on par with Sakurai's own creations (though the quality of their Mewtwo and Roy has me hopeful).

The first phase to Project R will be to see if we can petition to the Project M team for them to consider Ridley to be among their five newcomers for the project. However, this will have to be conditional. We must offer them more than just our pounding and hollering and massive fan request tidal wave.

For one, the Project M team is in desperate need of quality animators (this is among the primary reasons why it has taken them so long to complete their own original newcomers). Since we have the largest fanbase of all potential newcomer fanbases, any Ridley fans who have abilities as animators or model makes should apply to join the team, and be prepared to dedicate massive amounts of time not only towards Ridley, but seeing to it Project M's final completion.

However, even if in the event if all of our massive support and if quality animators/programmers step forward, is not enough to convince them to include Ridley, we should not let that deter us.

No... the Ridley fanbase has been fighting far too long for that.

Instead we should instead go ahead with our own independent Project R. Perhaps request the Project M team for access to the Clone Engine. From there we can develop a high quality playable version of Ridley at our own pace. In the end (it may take until late 2015 at the earliest or late 2016 at the latest), we will decide which of the five newcomers from the final version of Project M to "overwrite" and include Ridley.

However, considering the popularity and exposure for Project M, it would be for the best to try and make it so that Ridley does end up being included (though I have been told by multiple members of the team that this will be an uphill battle).

There is truly no character like Ridley left yet to include in Smash Bros. Ridley has had a massive fanbase to be in Smash Bros. ever since the Melee unveil trailer back during E3 2001 (you can even hear the cheers when Ridley is shown). 13 years later, the dreams of a large portion of Smash Bros. fans, still have not been realized.

Let US realize that dream!

Ridley for Smash Bros.: NOW AND FOR ETERNITY. Regardless of what Sakurai thinks and believes.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Yeah, not believing that picture until I see it on video. The lack of Miis is also a huge cause for suspicion.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
sorry but this roster makes no sense to me... i mean dr mario?? wtf wtf duckhunt dog... just wtf...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So...all our hard work...our hype...all the "evidence" we had...
...was for naught.
No one from the Big Three made it in. None.

So, uh. @ IsmaR IsmaR . What do we do now? What is going to happen to the thread?

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
I'm sorry you guys are so deeply disappointed. I do not think for one minute that Sakurai out and out disrespects Ridley. As I said before, I loved his boss fights in Brawl (where he got to be a boss twice!). Maybe he entertained the idea but decided it just wouldn't work out. I'm very happy with the gameplay designs I've seen of all the new characters, above all, and I'm sure he has his reasons.

As I said before, I wasn't opposed to the idea of him being playable, I just think he really is in his best element as a big scary boss monster, where that aspect of him need not be compromised for the sake of playability.

I look forward to seeing him on Pyrosphere, where I'm sure he will be very, very fun to interact with. I wouldn't look at being playable as a be-all, end-all thing. He's in at least one of the games in some capacity!

Take a deep breath. You still have a hell of a game to enjoy on its own merits - two of them, in fact. There is no need for moral indignation over this. Sakurai and co. did the best they could with the time allotted. Sakurai hurt his shoulders in the process of working himself as hard as he could push himself to put both games together, and I wouldn't condemn him over the playable exclusion of one character. (As much as I will miss Rope Snake, who is legit my favorite Mother series character. Yes, really.)

There could be another chance down the road, but I say enjoy what's there now. You aren't Nintendo fans for just a single character, are you?

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
We all have to start somewhere. Accroding the the Kubler-Ross Model of the 5 Stages of Grief, the first stage that everyone goes through is Denial, then followed by Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and at last Acceptance.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
If that's really it, than why didn't Sakurai just deconfirm him swiftly like Waluigi and such? Why leave that hype open? I mean, if he knew people wanted Skull Kid of all characters, he was well aware people want Ridley. Just seems malicious.

No Mewtwo, no K. Rool, no Chibi-Robo, no Starfy. And as a bonus, Isaac and Ray01 are no longer Assists, meaning their series have lost any representation in Smash. Mixed with the cutting of several beloved characters that were unique to boot and the final roster leaves a salty taste in my mouth. Also, who on earth designed the roster placement? There is practically no rhyme or reason to it.

Shulk, Mega Man, Little Mac, and Duck Hunt Dog are all great additions though. No complaints there.

Well, see you in the Ridley for SSB5 thread.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Welp, ladies and gentlemen, it was an honor.

I'm honestly expected this, so for me it just stings. Looks like people will need to cool off a bit after this.

You guys are awesome.

@ IsmaR IsmaR , get the Lock ready when the salt boils over.

It from this point that I propose, Project R.

As with the dream of a playable Ridley, Sakurai disagrees about Smash Bros. being a competitive fighter, and particularly the way Melee is played. While Sakurai has made amends from the extreme actions of Brawl to make it the un-Melee, and Smash 4 seems to be a better fighter overall, he still has strong words about the direction that Melee had (and those who want that direction). Fans who wanted another Smash Bros. in the tradition of Melee, took it upon themselves to make a hack of Brawl that tried to make the game more like Melee. As the years went on, it became almost its own game (with seven characters that were not in Brawl, a massive selection of alternate costumes, some new modes, and a slew of new or modified stages).

Just as Sakurai feels adamant about not making a Melee 2, he feels the same way about Ridley having playable status. While we can gnash our teeth and call Sakurai various names, the more productive way to do things going forward, is to take it upon ourselves to realize our dream. We have to accept for as long as Sakurai has a heavy hand in the Smash Bros. franchise, Ridley will never be playable.

However, that does not mean that we will never be able to play as Ridley in Smash Bros. Just as the fans made an amazing successor to Melee (in terms of its competitive orientated nature and fast gameplay), I think Ridley fans, the fanbase bestowed with the largest fanbase of all characters that have yet to be playable in Smash Bros., should take it upon themselves to show the rest of the Smash Bros. community, that a high quality playable version of Ridley could work.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ridley deserves playable status, and that he can work as a playable character.

However, its going to take lots of time and lots of effort.

For one, if we do go forward with Project R, we should not use Ridley's Brawl boss model as the playable model for Ridley.

Instead, we should probably make an entirely new model for Ridley (probably based off his Zero Mission incarnation seeing as that was the most recent incarnation for the organic Ridley as the time of Brawl's release).

Ridley is going to be extraordinarily challenging to implement and have a quality on par with the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. It remains to be seen if even the Project M team will be able to create a set of their own newcomers on par with Sakurai's own creations (though the quality of their Mewtwo and Roy has me hopeful).

The first phase to Project R will be to see if we can petition to the Project M team for them to consider Ridley to be among their five newcomers for the project. However, this will have to be conditional. We must offer them more than just our pounding and hollering and massive fan request tidal wave.

For one, the Project M team is in desperate need of quality animators (this is among the primary reasons why it has taken them so long to complete their own original newcomers). Since we have the largest fanbase of all potential newcomer fanbases, any Ridley fans who have abilities as animators or model makes should apply to join the team, and be prepared to dedicate massive amounts of time not only towards Ridley, but seeing to it Project M's final completion.

However, even if in the event if all of our massive support and if quality animators/programmers step forward, is not enough to convince them to include Ridley, we should not let that deter us.

No... the Ridley fanbase has been fighting far too long for that.

Instead we should instead go ahead with our own independent Project R. Perhaps request the Project M team for access to the Clone Engine. From there we can develop a high quality playable version of Ridley at our own pace. In the end (it may take until late 2015 at the earliest or late 2016 at the latest), we will decide which of the five newcomers from the final version of Project M to "overwrite" and include Ridley.

However, considering the popularity and exposure for Project M, it would be for the best to try and make it so that Ridley does end up being included (though I have been told by multiple members of the team that this will be an uphill battle).

There is truly no character like Ridley left yet to include in Smash Bros. Ridley has had a massive fanbase to be in Smash Bros. ever since the Melee unveil trailer back during E3 2001 (you can even hear the cheers when Ridley is shown). 13 years later, the dreams of a large portion of Smash Bros. fans, still have not been realized.

Let US realize that dream!

Ridley for Smash Bros.: NOW AND FOR ETERNITY. Regardless of what Sakurai thinks and believes.
I agree with the overall assertion that for Ridley, maybe we just need to do it ourselves.

Last edited:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
STOP TALKING LIKE THAT!! ITS FAAAAKEEEEEE!! GODDAMMIT GUYS, ARE YOU ALL BLIND OR SOMETHING!?
Now that you mention it.. it might be. Im glad I put my insults to Sakurai into an "In the case of" bracket.

Top Bottom