• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
If he is a boss, Sakurai may not have been inclined to showcase him until after 3ds version's release.
Then why tease the crap out of him?
If you're going to keep people guessing about a character's role in a video game, leaving clues to what it is but still being very vague, just for that character to be a boss is terrible marketing.

There is an entire team dedicated to marketing with a bigger budget than any smash bros game before. Sakurai just directs the game.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Avast supporters

I saw acouple of images from the demo thing going on and news and even that probably real mii trailer

Still no ridley in sight unbelieable
the mii thing might not be a trailer, I heard someone say its apart of the intro and you can put your own miis in it and have your own splash screen

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I thought I remembered more people believing you than not. There's just a lot of new members now, imo. Still I appreciate the callout xD

Also, not gonna lie, it took the longest time for me to see that happening. Like, months after the trailer, and I watched that thing a lot. Funny enough, it took watching it normal speed for me to see it, I still can't see it happening in slow mo.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
All Metal Face really has to do is swipe at people with his claws and fire a laser cannon, and that would be staying true to his in game appearance (that and he'd need to say "pathetic" a lot).

Although I think this is a valid point. Sakurai often goes out of his way to make characters similar to how they were presented in their original games. He's even talked about this in interviews, before,

"For example, look at Samus," Sakurai said. "She's sort of floaty [in Super Smash Bros.]. The reason we've represented her that way is we've taken some of the inspiration from the original Metroid. I think the reason Samus felt floaty in the game is because you have to jump so much, you have to have a certain level of accuracy while you're jumping and shooting. By enabling her to be floaty, you're slowing down that motion allowing for better accuracy in her shooting. At least, that's how I interpret why she was floaty in the original game."

"What's important about that is realizing why Samus moves the way she does," Sakurai explained, "not just saying, 'This is how she moved in a previous game, so we're going to represent that because that's the way she's always been.' I have to really go and think about it all again before I give her that representation. It's making sure we understand that and using the same logic in creating her in this world."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Is this really the kind of person who would make a "boss" Ridley into such an inaccurate representation of him?
Depends on how Sakurai thinks his character accuracy affects gameplay IMO. If Ridley is a stage hazard, and harass players non-stop with fast strikes, then he might be correctly depicted, but he'd make a terrible stage hazard because players would not be able to catch a break, and they would have to be good to be able to defeat him. We are no longer in the SSE, where he was supposed to be challenging. Look at all the mechanics in place, Sakurai is going great lengths to ensure bad players can enjoy this game by making it very forgiving and defensive friendly.
He is even going as far as making ATs vulnerable so players can retaliate against them and even defeat them (Mother Brain for instance).
If Sakurai was dead set on making Ridley a boss, he might had to make compromises to ensure his antics on the pyrosphere were intrusive but easily overcome. He might prioritize a bland representation of him if it ensures fair multiplayer battles.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I thought most of us believed you, sorry that you feel quite miffed now
I'm sorry you did too. But a lot of people did not....

I thought I remembered more people believing you than not. There's just a lot of new members now, imo. Still I appreciate the callout xD

Also, not gonna lie, it took the longest time for me to see that happening. Like, months after the trailer, and I watched that thing a lot. Funny enough, it took watching it normal speed for me to see it, I still can't see it happening in slow mo.
It actually led to a huge flamewar because some detractor came in and changed the subject.

I'm glad people are believing the stuff I said now though. Because I really believe it's his move from Super Metroid/Zero Mission and Fusion:

Ridley grabs you and while you're being grabbed you receive damage. The higher your percentage is the longer it takes for you to break free.

I think this is a special move for Ridley. Where he grabs someone and it continuesly does damage untill the opponent breaks free. The grab will be longer the higher the opponent's percentage is. Just like in super metroid. Ridley does this in Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission as well (this time with his hands). Where you receive damage (because he is holding you) untill you break free. Yakuza had a similar move except he slammed you on the ground.

Makes perfect sense for a special attack and is in my opinion very very very awesome.
Edit: being on my phone makes me have so many typos in my posts lmao

Last edited:

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Everytime you doubt about Ridley´s playable incoming:

Remember that xD There is no leak, argument, picture, video, fake... Nothing should fool us, only hearing/seeing a CLEARLY diconfirmation from Sakurai would do that, until then Ridley chances are as much as always.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
HEY! That IMBD 'leak' that had David Sobolov listed as a VA for Ridley! This is what he said when asked if it was true: Voicing Ridley would be cool, but I haven't been told I'm cast in Super Smash Brothers 3DS despite the IMDB listing.
I checked his recent posts and he said: Today I'm working on ???? (Top Secret) http://fb.me/2zbiyqrQh
EDIT: Could have sworn leak would be in quotes

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
HEY! That IMBD leak that had David Sobolov listed as a VA for Ridley! This is what he said when asked if it was true: Voicing Ridley would be cool, but I haven't been told I'm cast in Super Smash Brothers 3DS despite the IMDB listing.
I checked his recent posts and he said: Today I'm working on ???? (Top Secret) http://fb.me/2zbiyqrQh
Any word on Gilbert Gottfried?

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
If Ridley is not playable, what would make it worse is that these characters got in before him
Dr. Mario
Dark pit
Lucina
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Rosalina
Wii fit Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Mii fighters
Sheik
Zero suit Samus
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch
Jigglypuff
Every Koopaling
Alph as a costume
Samus in shorts
Shulk in shorts

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Guys... You all know that IMBD is open editing, right? Like wikipedia? Don't count that as a leak...

If Ridley is not playable, what would make it worse is that these characters got in before him
Dr. Mario
Dark pit
Lucina
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Rosalina
Wii fit Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Mii fighters
Sheik
Zero suit Samus
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch
Jigglypuff
Every Koopaling
Alph as a costume
Samus in shorts
Shulk in shorts
This is a pretty immature line of thought. You're even listing costumes and clones here...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Dr. Mario
Dark pit
Lucina
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Rosalina
Wii fit Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Mii fighters
Sheik
Zero suit Samus
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch
Jigglypuff
Every Koopaling
Alph as a costume
Samus in shorts
Shulk in shorts
Lucina, Greninja, Miis, Sheik, Zamus, ROB, G&W, Jiggly, shorts Zamus and Shulk in undies are a good thing dammit!

Last edited:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Let's not start talking about the IMBD again please, i already had enough of that in the Mewtwo thread lol.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So I thought I'd leave these here for you swell folks.

Doodley and Sketchmus

The insipid meddling Chozo girl

Just some sketches I threw together whilst at the desk earlier. They're in no way comparable to the likes of Andrea and SchAlternate's work, but I thought they'd appease us all the same. Apologies if The Glorious Leader seems oddly done, I didn't have a reference for him and just went with my latent memories of his artwork. ;3

Here's hoping we'll see something akin to this next week! It'll be interesting to go without any Pics of the Day for a bit, but we'll just have to man up and carry on regardless.
DAMN IT, I couldn't keep lurking for too long...this freakin' thread doesn't let me....I love what you did! :D but you don't have to compare your sketches with mine...I really feel unsatisfied with my own work right now so, probably won't be doing Ridley stuff for a long while until I feel pleased with what I see.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario
Dark pit
Lucina
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Rosalina
Wii fit Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Mii fighters
Sheik
Zero suit Samus
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch
Jigglypuff
Every Koopaling
Alph as a costume
Samus in shorts
Shulk in shorts
I agree with everyone except:

Jigglypuff (smash 64 -> pretty populair back then, too iconic to cut)
Dhd (VERY KNOWN, ask your parents about him and they even might know him. This is Nintendo's all-stars. He should be included in the 64 build imo)
Wii fit trainer (represents a really well sold franchise on the Wii and is known by a lot)

Everyone else. I highly agree that Ridley is way more deserving. I could name a few more like Robin, Lucina, Sheik and Ice Climbers but it would take too long lol.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
HEY! That IMBD leak that had David Sobolov listed as a VA for Ridley! This is what he said when asked if it was true: Voicing Ridley would be cool, but I haven't been told I'm cast in Super Smash Brothers 3DS despite the IMDB listing.
Ridley would have to have dialog or spoken lines for Nintendo to even bother to hire an american voice actor for him. They have an extensive library of stock sounds and local japanese actors for growls and stuff.

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
I never said any of those characters are neccessarily bad, I was just stating my opinion surrounding other choices over Ridley as a priority.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I agree, but they aren't a bad choice!
And I think it's suspicious that this presumeably Ridley VA is doing VA work as we speak
The game is already done for like 95% I believe. I highly doubt that they are still implying voice acting for characters this late.. Even IF Ridley would be a boss..

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Huh, apparantly it's true that great artists have high standards on themselves
Eh....I'm not that GREAT, and I'm a perfectionist so...it was to expect that at some point (actually...ALWAYS.) I would feel unsatisfied with my own stuff. Then again, I won't be doing Ridley stuff, for a while because of it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea the rumor thread is not being smart again

Guess what those guys think ridley will be a charizard clone and they say if hes not hes deconfirmed

WE GONE OVER THIS.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
HEY! That IMBD 'leak' that had David Sobolov listed as a VA for Ridley! This is what he said when asked if it was true: Voicing Ridley would be cool, but I haven't been told I'm cast in Super Smash Brothers 3DS despite the IMDB listing.
EDIT: Could have sworn leak would be in quotes
ANALYZE THE REFLECTION!
That said, he can't really be the VA when he is still doing stuff this late in dev.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Hey there Ridley thread. You guys don't know, and that's understandable. But I've been lurking this thread since well over a year. It's a nice place to come to to see more discussion from the views of other Ridley supporters. Plus I've began to recognize some people by their avatars, like Bender Avatar man. The Ridley Hype Train has had ups and downs, and this place has been a great place to chronicle every pic of the day that either boosted or cut Ridley's chances.

As you guys know, it's been well over 13 years. 13 years since Melee's initial trailer, and the spark for Ridley being playable began. It's only two years short of reaching Duke Nukem Forever length. Whether you've been on this ride from the very beginning, or only got on after playing Fusion through the Ambassador Program or something, you know that Ridley has evolved beyond simply a character request. He's grown far beyond that. He's grown into a symbol of fanaticism, of impossible dreams. When you think 'characters who will NEVER be in Smash' most people out there will shout Ridley. No other Smash character will spark as much discussion and debate as Ridley has. With most character requests, people will shout 'Oh he'd be neat' or 'Nah, he's stupid'. But with Ridley, 5000 REPLIES TOPIC LOCKED NO COMMENTS FINAL DESTINATION. To think a purple boss from Metroid could grow into such a big thing outside his series is almost inspiring.

But the ride isn't over yet. No, it's far from over. It hasn't even begun. Most people here will believe that Ridley is in. I for one haven't a single doubt that Ridley will be playable. Remember to hold onto that faith. Don't let the doubters, the haters, those who spread falsehoods and decry 'too big' cause you to stumble.

Soon, the Third Ridpact will strike, when we finally discover Ridley's status. It will be glorious for us. Tears of both joy and pain will be shed, people will backtrack, they'll damage control. "H-He's just a clone!" "Well Smash 4 sucks anyways, he should've been in Project M!" "It's Other M Ridley, it's technically not playable Ridley! Ridley BTFO!" Also make note of those who, just days ago ranted about how Ridley will never be in Smash, only to go "I-I knew he was in all along! It was so obvious!" I guarantee you they will say that. Don't let them try to taint your victory. Because the Space Pirate's confirmation will be our finest hour. The minute some Japanese kid leaks a photo of playable Ridley will be the moment that defines us. It will be the accumulation of 13 years of fighting, of crushed dreams, of ridicule.

So I wanted to say thanks for well over a year of non-stop Ridley action. The Third Ridpact approaches ever soon, and it will spark the dawn of a new era. Finally will Ridley get his day in the limelight, finally will you get to see Ridley beat up your childhood heroes, finally you'll get to see Ridley beat up your waifus, and above all else, finally you will get play as Ridley for the very first time in Nintendo history. Remember that Ridley will not be the character who pierces the roster, but will be the character that creates the roster.

Good luck Team Gurrid Leygann. And godspeed.
That speech deserves something...

All stand as we recite the word of our discord and decimator.​

With all our heartlessness and with all our mind, let us pray to the
discord, saying "Sakurai, have mercy."

For the peace of a good roster, for the loving-kindness of Sakurai,
and for the salvation of the toobigot's souls, let us pray to the discord.
Sakurai, have mercy.

For the peace of the trophy world, for the welfare of the Holy Church
of Smash, and for the unity of all trophies, let us pray to the discord.
Sakurai, have mercy. Sakurai, have mercy. Sakurai, have mercy.

You may now be seated.​

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Not really, VA's still do grunts and that. And besides, canonical manga with Ridley talking. Could work out nicely
They would use a japanese voice actor for grunts, like Donkey Kong in his games and Pikachu, not an american. The manga is more an exception than a rule, its an obscure story origin that very few people know, unlikely to be used as reference in this game.
And of course a voice actor is working on something, it could be a TV show or another game :lol:

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
I just want something crazy to happen during this week so we can already get over everything already haha

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Dr. Mario
Dark pit
Lucina
Duck Hunt
Greninja
Rosalina
Wii fit Trainer
Bowser Jr.
Mii fighters
Sheik
Zero suit Samus
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch
Jigglypuff
Every Koopaling
Alph as a costume
Samus in shorts
Shulk in shorts
Ye know, I can agree with most of those, but I for one am stoked to main Larry Koopa, so I'm going to politely ignore that sentiment.

A mere 7 days...the bells hath tolled...

Top Bottom