• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
The reason you'd likely be able to squirm free from stage-Ridley's grab is because he would likely be carrying you to the blast zone. So it makes sense that you get a chance to escape it at lower %s. Plus he was idle a lot as a boss in brawl, so it's not like it's out of character for him to float idly in smash 4 as well if being a stage boss is the case again.

Dragalon

Smash Cadet
Question, does this trailer deconfirm ridley?
from what I can gather from the screenshots it shows all the smash bros characters being cool guys then goes across a mountain to show three miis of Japanese pop stars, they leap into the air and it shows them about to collide with the smash bros

of course this is just pictures of it and theres only like 3, there could be more before and after

I think its just a promotional piece to show off the game with some celebrities, I don't know who they are but they are apparently popstars

Edit: here's a link: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128671409&postcount=5722
no ridley, so he remains in the exact same position as he has been

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Let's also keep one thing Sakurai trolled us about Ridley over. Remember said that if he were playable, he'd have to be slow. What we've seen of Ridley's shadow so far...well...he doesn't seem to be a spring Chicken.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
More of my propaganda, forgive me, but this is another reason why I'm so against Brawley: it's overall design I feel (especially in mods) has done far more harm to outsider's perception of a playable Ridley then anything else I feel. The model just doesn't work; it was designed specifically for a "boss" in mind.

Hahahaha this is brilliant. However, I would like to point out that I'm not sure it completely dodges Ridley being a Boss; after all, even though you asserted in the beginning that your cousin saw a playable Ridley, the response doesn't mention anything about whether playable or Boss.

Still though, that's awesome. Hopefully something comes of it :chuckle:

Since I am entitled (says the denizens of the internet, whom know all!) I would love an explanation on:
  • Why Ridley's overwhelming popularity and demand was ignored again
  • Why Ridley's underwhelming fate was in the dark for so long while every other character got deconfirmed outright
  • Why reuse an already explored concept and gimmick from another fighting game
  • Why Ridley's role is relegated to a relatively poorly-received mechanic that only a fraction of the fanbase will likely enjoy. Competitive peeps will obviously ignore it; even casuals will probably be bothered by it after a while and annoyed that you can't at least turn it off.

"This is what we, the collective Ridley fanbase, have always desired for! An intrusive, gimmicky, easily targeted and poor A.I. punching bag that most fighters just seem to ignore anyway!"

- said No one ever, 2001 - 2014
I dunno, it seems like a thing I would say, granted in a sarcastic, possibly condescending manner, but y'know

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't. Why would it disconfirm Ridley?
People on gamefaqs are saying things like "The 48 in AKB48 must mean there are only 48 characters besides the three Miis! The final roster confirmed!" when in reality, AKB48 has 140 members and is used to promote many forms of media in Japan.

Basically no, it does not dis-confirm him in any way, shape, or form.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People on gamefaqs are saying things like "The 48 in AKB48 must mean there are only 48 characters besides the three Miis! The final roster confirmed!" when in reality, AKB48 has 140 members and is used to promote many forms of media in Japan.

Basically no, it does not dis-confirm him in any way, shape, or form.
139 actually. What a stupid argument, though. The reason for the AKB48 Miis is simply because the group is a HUGE success in Japan.

This doesn't affect Ridley at all.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
There's a lot of "Half Life 3 confirmed" type logic being thrown around. Nothing new, really. Ridley can only be deconfirmed if he is confirmed as some other kind of inclusion (boss, assist trophy, etc) and he's only confirmed if he's shown in play as a character. Until then, we're in the gray...

Though I do find it curious that if he is a boss or some other inclusion, that he hasn't been confirmed as that by now... as others in the thread said, Sakurai tends to be quick to deconfirm. We'll have to see though.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So I guess Ridley's still in the ambiguous corner... For now. Let's hope that there'll be something coming soon in the last week before the wait...

ridles1

Smash Rookie
To be honest I have barely any hope left ...
How come?
from what I can gather from the screenshots it shows all the smash bros characters being cool guys then goes across a mountain to show three miis of Japanese pop stars, they leap into the air and it shows them about to collide with the smash bros

of course this is just pictures of it and theres only like 3, there could be more before and after

I think its just a promotional piece to show off the game with some celebrities, I don't know who they are but they are apparently popstars

no ridley, so he remains in the exact same position as he has been
Thank you for that cause the trailer doesn't have every characte rlike I heard so that proves nothing.

Out of curiocity, with everything that's going on where does everyone stand on ridley being in? Persoanlly my hopes have taken a hit especially do to purple charizard but I am trying to stay hopefull

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
How come?

Thank you for that cause the trailer doesn't have every characte rlike I heard so that proves nothing.

Out of curiocity, with everything that's going on where does everyone stand on ridley being in? Persoanlly my hopes have taken a hit especially do to purple charizard but I am trying to stay hopefull
Still the same, as Ridley=/=Charizard. If anything the purple Charizard thing is more of a reference to Aerodactyl.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Alright, I'm gonna do as best I can to detail as much as I can, but since it's 1 AM and the board didn't actually keep the drafts of my old, Ridley-sized essay up to date, I'll have to make do as best I can and come back and fix things later, since I already forgot one of my points.

Let's just lead off with the one you guys claim to have nailed down: size
You always use Bowser and Olimar, sometimes the Pokémon, as arguments for the whole "Smash doesn't ekep sizes" thing. Reminder that Pokémon, in-universe, are not all the same size. For the sake of programming, yes, every sprite/model of the species is the same size, but even those aren't accurate *cough*wailord*cough*. Bowser has never been consistent is size, whereas Ridley has always been twice as big as Samus, if not bigger. No, NES Metroid doesn't count. Ridley was only tiny due to the NES' limits, and the game got remade as Zero Mission anyways which made Ridley his proper double height. As a reminder, samus is at least 6' tall in her armor. That places Ridley at 12'+. If we take SM64 as a base for Bowser he's a little over twice Mario's height, which, iirc, clocks in at 4'-5'. So let's place The Bows at 9' for the sake of being in the middle. Rosalina is also roughly twice as tall as Mario, slightly shorter than that really. Shrinking Bowser by a foot or two isn't the same as halving Ridley's size. And when you guys keep bringing up Melee's opening, do any of you even realize just how strange Ridley looks in that shot?

Of course, knowing how rabid all of you get, you'll just vehemently deny there's anything awkward about Ridley being this tiny at all
The longer you look at it, the stranger it gets. As far as Olimar is concerned, sizing him up doesn't get nearly as awkward. Alternately, you should be taking into consideration that canonically, Smash Bros. is about statues duking it out. No one's gonna buy an Olimar statue if he's the size of a quarter. Would YOU buy that Amiibo? And no don't try and tell me Ridley would be shrunk for that. A Ridley statue would be a special edition statue larger than the rest, eg twice Samus' height, because that would make a hella cool display piece. Also, I see Ganondorf mentioned every once in a while for this argument. Ganondorf became a hell of a lot less intimidating being shrunk down to only slightly taller than Link. Do you REALLY want to lessen Ridley's intimidation factor that much? I won't deny though that he's clearly smaller than he was in Brawl, but that's a given because even as a stage boss, he can't be the size of Brawl's boss-bosses.

Next, the Pikachu thing. "Notice Ridley grabbing Pikachu. And Ridley jumping. Not typical boss-like behavior right? Especially for Ridley." First off, we only know the behavior of one of the game's bosses, and the Yellow Devil isn't exactly known for grabbing Megaman. Now, I don't know if you meant to sound like this, but it reads like you're saying it's atypical of Ridley to grab his foes.

Nope, no grabbing here.
This has been brought up in this thread already but I'll readress it: Yes, in the direct, he grabs Pikachu and then does nothing but move forward a bit, and then the scene ends. You're all so blinded by your want of the giant Ridley D that you don't seem to take into consideration this is footage of a game currently in progress. Ridley could've been in progress at the time and had unfinished AI. No, you can't reasonably expect that they would've had him full working by then. His AI would be more complex than the Yellow Devil's, who just stands around and lazily shoots laser blasts, then swaps sides. Ridley would chase down players, snatch them, then beat them and slam them intot he ground, plus shooting fireballs and likely flying across the ground and carpet bombing the stage. Maybe that was just them making sure that his chase and grab sequence went fine.

Related to that bit, somewhere I've seen someone say that, because we've seen tons of matches on Pyrosphere but never seen Ridley, he MUST be playable. There's two easy counters to that: A) Like I just said, work in progress. They wouldn't leave a barely-functioning boss in the public demo. B) We all know Sakurai is a massive troll. He could've intentionally set it up so that the public builds have Ridley disabled on the stage.

Another thing you guys seem to be latched onto is the trophy quiz. Have none of you noticed they formed a pattern? Tiki, who in turn was Awakening reps. Fi with Ghirahim's music, who turned out to be an Assist Trophy. Pseudo Palutena, who was playable Palutena. What's to say Kihunter wasn't there for either Dark Samus (who I don't recall being known as being in the game until the direct) or just to say Ridley is in the game, but not playable like Ghirahim (sine Ridley's them is playing)?

Alright even though it's technically part of the size thing, I'm going to address whatever you were attempting with the shadow math. Alright, so we can all agree, that shadow is huge. Pyrosphere isn't a small stage - it's longer than FD. That shadow takes up like a third of the the stage, similar to someone else who takes up a third of a stage (I'm looking at you, Yellow Devil). You're all yelling about how shadows get bigger, and yes, they do. But that would require being way high up above the stage if he were a playable size, and he clearly isn't that high up. But let's just keep rolling with your "higher up=bigger shadow, ridley confirmed" theory. You then go and do math on the size of his tail shadow and determine his playable size from there. But you don't factor in the enlarged shadow. You just run with that size and say that's how big Ridley is. Congratulations, your math has made it so it turns out that Ridley is actually shorter than Samus.

But, since we're talking about height off the stage, let's address that fact that he's staying a consistent height off the stage. It's too consistent to be a player tapping the jump button to stay afloat, and it's too long without a landing to be a player as well. Only one other character has that ability, and it's Peach. We've yet to see anything about any of the other flying characters, like Charizard and Pit, having the ability to do this. At a week away from Japanese 3DS release, that seems like an important element of control to inform people about. Rather, it invokes a canned animation for an NPC. Next, while he isn't super high off the ground, he's high enough off that there's very little you could hit him with without jumping, which would be incredibly cheap for a playable character, but is clearly OK with the Yellow Devil. And, in going back to the shadow thing AND the grabbing Pikachu thing, how would Ridley be able to grab Pikachu if he was small enough to be playable, but high enough off the ground to create a shadow that large? You can't grab while jumping (save Koopa Klaw, which defaults to throwing them whether you make an input or not) and like I just said, no playable character would, by default, be that high off the ground with just his tail and some of his toes as being attackable with having to leap for him.

Now for some miscellaneous stuff

That giant hole tunnel in the background of Pyrosphere was torn open by Ridley in Other M. While Smash is definitely a series about detail, that doesn't seem like it would be a necessary one unless Ridley was involved on the stage somehow. It would clearly function like Wily's Castle does for Yellow Devil, with Ridley coming flying out of the hole, then descending on the fray and wrecking everyone. Someone tried to counter this with the hopefully-joking argument of "well the mario bros come out of pipes and there are pipes on the mario stages mario bros deconfirmed" (I'm paraphrasing fyi) which makes no sense. The Mario Bros. didn't create the pipes (to our knowledge), but Ridley tore open that hole. No, the Yellow Devil obviously didn't build Wily's Castle, but he was created to protect it - in this instance, he's just being a little more proactive in his duties.

One thing that really strikes me as odd for you lot is that you seem to care more about him getting in than you do about him being right. Sakurai's said in the past that, had they really poured their efforts into it, they could've had a playable Ridley in Brawl. But he also mentions it would've been nearly impossible, and even if they did, he'd be really slow. Slow isn't exactly the word I would use to describe Ridley. I mean, I would've been pissed if they had revealed Megaman as a grappler-type character with none of his iconic weaponry, or if Mewtwo turns out to be in but instead he just runs around and shoots people with a gun.

The final odd bit to add is every once in a while, I see someone try to use what happens on the Spirit Train as a reason he could be in. To which I ask, how? It's clear that, aside from Past Stages, Metroid's theme for the game is Other M, due to being the most recent entry. Therefore, however Ridley makes his appearance would be in his Other M form. And that's where problems get caused - There are very, VERY few people who like his Other M design, and I personally agee that it's garbage. So they all want Super Metroid Ridley playable. Well, that's fine and dandy, but now he's inconsistent with Samus, as far as default models go. Why do you think Link and Zelda aren't updated past Twilight Princess? There hasn't been a game with Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf at the same time since Twilight Princess (and then sheik because of the concept art). No, Hyrule Warriors doesn't count, it started development long after Smash. So rule of thumb is, playable characters get their most recent main-game design. Even Brawl did it - Sanic's last main game was '06, and that's the design he has for Brawl. Snake wouldn't be Old Snake, seeing as that was on PS3. This time around, Sanic has his Lost World design (more cartoony, slightly pudgier). Bowser is also far cartoonier in appearance than he was in Melee and Brawl. Ike's got a more recent design, Pit is obviously Uprising Pit, same for Palutena, etc etc. Now, one could argue, say, Megaman and Pac-man, but here's where you're wrong: they don't have to be thematically consistent with anyone, plus, their most recent designs wouldn't mesh with Smash as well as their classic designs, seeing as 8-bit Mega is the most iconic and no one likes Ghostly Adventures Pac (though I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have Ghostly Adventures Pac-man as an alt just to troll). Anyways, say you try to work around the consistency issue on Ridley by having playable be Other M beefcake and stage hazard as Super Metroid/Prime. Congrats, now you have a new consistency error, and that's the weirdness of classic/Prime Ridley on Other M grounds. And, say it wasn't Other M themed, but Prime themed - if Ridley was both playable AND a Hazard, he STILL wouldn't have anyone to replace him, because I can guarantee Meta/Omega Ridley would be alternate skins. There's no way to work around that.

All in all, I've yet to see any of you make an argument for Ridley being playable that would even remotely sway me from my position that he is a guaranteed stage boss on Pyrosphere. All I see is a bunch of people grasping at straws for a character that they should've given up on the hopes of seeing playable after Brawl, seeing as that would be 2 games in a row where he likely could've been playable but wasn't. I mean, while Mewtwo is absolute garbage tier, I had a lot of fun with him in Melee, and while I hope he returns, I'm not going to whine and moan about it. I'll accept that Mewtwo is forever dead in Smash, and then be pleasantly surprised if I turn out to be wrong. It's ok to want a character in, but you guys are way too rabid about this.

I guess at least I don't think I've seen any of you going so far as to be like those that were screaming NO YOSHI NO BUY in the months before the Direct. What the hell was that about? Yes, I know, Yoshi's popular, but...Yoshi? I mean for starters, why would you ever not buy a Smash game if you like the series, but also, come on guys. We all knew he was in, Sakurai will never cut the original 12.
...Why must you talk to us like we have no choice but to give up, and never pick this dream up again? :glare: He cannot stay in his role as a boss forever; Nintendo will one of these days add him.

Last edited:

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
You always use Bowser and Olimar, sometimes the Pokémon, as arguments for the whole "Smash doesn't ekep sizes" thing. Reminder that Pokémon, in-universe, are not all the same size. For the sake of programming, yes, every sprite/model of the species is the same size, but even those aren't accurate *cough*wailord*cough*. Bowser has never been consistent is size, whereas Ridley has always been twice as big as Samus, if not bigger. No, NES Metroid doesn't count. Ridley was only tiny due to the NES' limits, and the game got remade as Zero Mission anyways which made Ridley his proper double height. As a reminder, samus is at least 6' tall in her armor. That places Ridley at 12'+. If we take SM64 as a base for Bowser he's a little over twice Mario's height, which, iirc, clocks in at 4'-5'. So let's place The Bows at 9' for the sake of being in the middle. Rosalina is also roughly twice as tall as Mario, slightly shorter than that really. Shrinking Bowser by a foot or two isn't the same as halving Ridley's size. And when you guys keep bringing up Melee's opening, do any of you even realize just how strange Ridley looks in that shot?

The longer you look at it, the stranger it gets. As far as Olimar is concerned, sizing him up doesn't get nearly as awkward. Alternately, you should be taking into consideration that canonically, Smash Bros. is about statues duking it out. No one's gonna buy an Olimar statue if he's the size of a quarter. Would YOU buy that Amiibo? And no don't try and tell me Ridley would be shrunk for that. A Ridley statue would be a special edition statue larger than the rest, eg twice Samus' height, because that would make a hella cool display piece. Also, I see Ganondorf mentioned every once in a while for this argument. Ganondorf became a hell of a lot less intimidating being shrunk down to only slightly taller than Link. Do you REALLY want to lessen Ridley's intimidation factor that much? I won't deny though that he's clearly smaller than he was in Brawl, but that's a given because even as a stage boss, he can't be the size of Brawl's boss-bosses.
So we're back to the old size argument again? Sakurai himself has stated time and time again that Smash is not true to scale, regardless of up or down. If Ridley's designs (Which he has plenty of canon designs to work with) don't work, they can make a new one. They can make his limbs shorter, wings smaller (Which those actually tend to be small in the games anyways) etc. Smash doesn't just import character models. It makes it's own, and alters the designs to fit the game. Samus has heels. Nothing is sacred in Smash.

And who cares about some 'intimidation factor'? It sounds to me more like some arbitrary gate created to give a reason why Ridley shouldn't be playable, which you yourself say is void because Ganondorf made it in.

Next, the Pikachu thing. "Notice Ridley grabbing Pikachu. And Ridley jumping. Not typical boss-like behavior right? Especially for Ridley." First off, we only know the behavior of one of the game's bosses, and the Yellow Devil isn't exactly known for grabbing Megaman. Now, I don't know if you meant to sound like this, but it reads like you're saying it's atypical of Ridley to grab his foes.

This has been brought up in this thread already but I'll readress it: Yes, in the direct, he grabs Pikachu and then does nothing but move forward a bit, and then the scene ends. You're all so blinded by your want of the giant Ridley D that you don't seem to take into consideration this is footage of a game currently in progress. Ridley could've been in progress at the time and had unfinished AI. No, you can't reasonably expect that they would've had him full working by then. His AI would be more complex than the Yellow Devil's, who just stands around and lazily shoots laser blasts, then swaps sides. Ridley would chase down players, snatch them, then beat them and slam them intot he ground, plus shooting fireballs and likely flying across the ground and carpet bombing the stage. Maybe that was just them making sure that his chase and grab sequence went fine.
I discussed this in my last post. Sakurai and Nintendo simply wouldn't show a 'in progress' thing. If it's finished and in a viewable state, they show it. If not, they don't. They decided to show Ridley, so Ridley must be in a Finished or near-finished state. The footage we saw of Ridley grabbing and letting go of a person does not line up AT ALL with what I'd describe as a finished or near-finished boss. But it fits pretty fine with a finished or near-finished character. If Ridley wasn't a Fully Functional boss, they wouldn't have shown him off.

Related to that bit, somewhere I've seen someone say that, because we've seen tons of matches on Pyrosphere but never seen Ridley, he MUST be playable. There's two easy counters to that: A) Like I just said, work in progress. They wouldn't leave a barely-functioning boss in the public demo. B) We all know Sakurai is a massive troll. He could've intentionally set it up so that the public builds have Ridley disabled on the stage.
Actually, I'm fairly certain they've intentionally kept Pyrosphere from being in Demo builds. It wasn't at the E3 tourney nor at Best Buy. You keep saying 'Work in Progress'. You're telling me that it's taken Sakurai well over a year to get Ridley in a functional state that can be showed off? If Ridley was in such a long development, they would they have shown off Pyrosphere so early and hint at his inclusion there, yet alone constantly use it in promotional shots. They've would've waited until Ridley was finished completely before showing it.

But, since we're talking about height off the stage, let's address that fact that he's staying a consistent height off the stage. It's too consistent to be a player tapping the jump button to stay afloat, and it's too long without a landing to be a player as well. Only one other character has that ability, and it's Peach. We've yet to see anything about any of the other flying characters, like Charizard and Pit, having the ability to do this. At a week away from Japanese 3DS release, that seems like an important element of control to inform people about. Rather, it invokes a canned animation for an NPC. Next, while he isn't super high off the ground, he's high enough off that there's very little you could hit him with without jumping, which would be incredibly cheap for a playable character, but is clearly OK with the Yellow Devil. And, in going back to the shadow thing AND the grabbing Pikachu thing, how would Ridley be able to grab Pikachu if he was small enough to be playable, but high enough off the ground to create a shadow that large? You can't grab while jumping (save Koopa Klaw, which defaults to throwing them whether you make an input or not) and like I just said, no playable character would, by default, be that high off the ground with just his tail and some of his toes as being attackable with having to leap for him.
Ridley could have a brand new grappling/flight mechanic on him. I mean, Little Mac has that instant KO meter, and Sakurai has been looking into ways to make each newcomer bar clones unique. It's certainly possible Sakurai made a mechanic that takes advantage of Ridley's aerial capabilities.

That giant hole tunnel in the background of Pyrosphere was torn open by Ridley in Other M. While Smash is definitely a series about detail, that doesn't seem like it would be a necessary one unless Ridley was involved on the stage somehow. It would clearly function like Wily's Castle does for Yellow Devil, with Ridley coming flying out of the hole, then descending on the fray and wrecking everyone. Someone tried to counter this with the hopefully-joking argument of "well the mario bros come out of pipes and there are pipes on the mario stages mario bros deconfirmed" (I'm paraphrasing fyi) which makes no sense. The Mario Bros. didn't create the pipes (to our knowledge), but Ridley tore open that hole. No, the Yellow Devil obviously didn't build Wily's Castle, but he was created to protect it - in this instance, he's just being a little more proactive in his duties.
Why not include it though? Regardless of Ridley's inclusion, even as a stage boss, you could argue it's an iconic part of the area, seeing Ridley rip through the hole. I don't see how his inclusion would affect the hole's existance.

One thing that really strikes me as odd for you lot is that you seem to care more about him getting in than you do about him being right. Sakurai's said in the past that, had they really poured their efforts into it, they could've had a playable Ridley in Brawl. But he also mentions it would've been nearly impossible, and even if they did, he'd be really slow. Slow isn't exactly the word I would use to describe Ridley. I mean, I would've been pissed if they had revealed Megaman as a grappler-type character with none of his iconic weaponry, or if Mewtwo turns out to be in but instead he just runs around and shoots people with a gun.
Sakurai has said they couldn't make an Animal Crossing character because it was too peaceful. Also, in that exact same statement he said it was possible if they put work into him. So, in other words, the exact opposite of impossible. As for his speed and 'not being iconic', Ganondorf uses his Ganondorf Punch, and apparently still does. I think Smash could live with a slow Ridley.

The final odd bit to add is every once in a while, I see someone try to use what happens on the Spirit Train as a reason he could be in. To which I ask, how? It's clear that, aside from Past Stages, Metroid's theme for the game is Other M, due to being the most recent entry. Therefore, however Ridley makes his appearance would be in his Other M form. And that's where problems get caused - There are very, VERY few people who like his Other M design, and I personally agee that it's garbage. So they all want Super Metroid Ridley playable. Well, that's fine and dandy, but now he's inconsistent with Samus, as far as default models go. Why do you think Link and Zelda aren't updated past Twilight Princess? There hasn't been a game with Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf at the same time since Twilight Princess (and then sheik because of the concept art). No, Hyrule Warriors doesn't count, it started development long after Smash. So rule of thumb is, playable characters get their most recent main-game design. Even Brawl did it - Sanic's last main game was '06, and that's the design he has for Brawl. Snake wouldn't be Old Snake, seeing as that was on PS3. This time around, Sanic has his Lost World design (more cartoony, slightly pudgier). Bowser is also far cartoonier in appearance than he was in Melee and Brawl. Ike's got a more recent design, Pit is obviously Uprising Pit, same for Palutena, etc etc. Now, one could argue, say, Megaman and Pac-man, but here's where you're wrong: they don't have to be thematically consistent with anyone, plus, their most recent designs wouldn't mesh with Smash as well as their classic designs, seeing as 8-bit Mega is the most iconic and no one likes Ghostly Adventures Pac (though I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have Ghostly Adventures Pac-man as an alt just to troll). Anyways, say you try to work around the consistency issue on Ridley by having playable be Other M beefcake and stage hazard as Super Metroid/Prime. Congrats, now you have a new consistency error, and that's the weirdness of classic/Prime Ridley on Other M grounds. And, say it wasn't Other M themed, but Prime themed - if Ridley was both playable AND a Hazard, he STILL wouldn't have anyone to replace him, because I can guarantee Meta/Omega Ridley would be alternate skins. There's no way to work around that.
How does consistancy matter? Donkey Kong is in both 8 bit and full 3D in Brawl. Besides, even if they didn't use his Other M design, it'd still be fine. Why? Because Other M Ridley is not Ridley. Other M Ridley is actually a clone of Ridley. A different character, though has the same DNA. Now before you say it's a redesign, I'll bring up two points. One is Mewtwo, who is a Clone of Mew. But clearly not a perfect one. Same could be said for Other M Ridley, explaining his design. Second is Nintendo Land, which has Ridley in it. And this Ridley's design is based off of not Other M's, but Super's Ridley. Nintendo Land came out after Other M, so I think it's safe to say Other M Ridley is NOT a redesign.

Point is, Regular Ridley could coexist with Other M Samus.

All in all, I've yet to see any of you make an argument for Ridley being playable that would even remotely sway me from my position that he is a guaranteed stage boss on Pyrosphere. All I see is a bunch of people grasping at straws for a character that they should've given up on the hopes of seeing playable after Brawl, seeing as that would be 2 games in a row where he likely could've been playable but wasn't. I mean, while Mewtwo is absolute garbage tier, I had a lot of fun with him in Melee, and while I hope he returns, I'm not going to whine and moan about it. I'll accept that Mewtwo is forever dead in Smash, and then be pleasantly surprised if I turn out to be wrong. It's ok to want a character in, but you guys are way too rabid about this.

I guess at least I don't think I've seen any of you going so far as to be like those that were screaming NO YOSHI NO BUY in the months before the Direct. What the hell was that about? Yes, I know, Yoshi's popular, but...Yoshi? I mean for starters, why would you ever not buy a Smash game if you like the series, but also, come on guys. We all knew he was in, Sakurai will never cut the original 12
Are you saying you WOULD buy a Smash game without Yoshi?

That's heresy where I come from.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Depends on how you look at it.

It crushes my dreams though.
Oh, Swampasaur. Your dreams are so tender and fragile then can be crushed by a stray leaf blowing over. You shouldn't worry so much about it!

For the "amazing possible ridley proof" thing. I haven't watched the vid yet but apparently he is talking about Pikachu's shadow. First of all, that is not Pikachu. The blob that is supposed to be the electric rodent is actually his feet clumped together, the tail is the shadow of Ridley's own tail bending around the geometry, giving it a zigzag appearance.
Secondly, this Ridley design does not have grabby feet. Sadly.

As for the boss footage, this is exactly why Ridley can't be a boss. Sm4sh seems to be about staying true to the original games, which is very well demonstrated by Yellow Devil. Dark Emperor's fight in Find Mii 2 is sorta turn based and all he seems to do is scare fighters away by roaring at them. Which apparently translates to loitering around and occasionally roaring when something comes close. If Ridley were a boss, he'd probably work like the Other M version, but I'm pretty sure that version was still fairly agressive in his attacks. He'd feel more like an SSE boss than a stage boss.

EDIT: I am pretty confident that the part in Sakurai's interview where he says that Ridley would be "impossible" is a translation flub, especially since he contradicts that statements immediately afterwards.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The reason you'd likely be able to squirm free from stage-Ridley's grab is because he would likely be carrying you to the blast zone. So it makes sense that you get a chance to escape it at lower %s. Plus he was idle a lot as a boss in brawl, so it's not like it's out of character for him to float idly in smash 4 as well if being a stage boss is the case again.
Keep in mind that Ridley in Brawl was actually Dyna Blade, when it comes to how Ridley was behaving. Ridley in Brawl is just as out of character as what he does from the April Direct video.

Alright, I'm gonna do as best I can to detail as much as I can, but since it's 1 AM and the board didn't actually keep the drafts of my old, Ridley-sized essay up to date, I'll have to make do as best I can and come back and fix things later, since I already forgot one of my points.
[collapse=Your size argument]Let's just lead off with the one you guys claim to have nailed down: size

Of course, knowing how rabid all of you get, you'll just vehemently deny there's anything awkward about Ridley being this tiny at all
The longer you look at it, the stranger it gets. As far as Olimar is concerned, sizing him up doesn't get nearly as awkward. Alternately, you should be taking into consideration that canonically, Smash Bros. is about statues duking it out. No one's gonna buy an Olimar statue if he's the size of a quarter. Would YOU buy that Amiibo? And no don't try and tell me Ridley would be shrunk for that. A Ridley statue would be a special edition statue larger than the rest, eg twice Samus' height, because that would make a hella cool display piece. Also, I see Ganondorf mentioned every once in a while for this argument. Ganondorf became a hell of a lot less intimidating being shrunk down to only slightly taller than Link. Do you REALLY want to lessen Ridley's intimidation factor that much? I won't deny though that he's clearly smaller than he was in Brawl, but that's a given because even as a stage boss, he can't be the size of Brawl's boss-bosses.[/collapse]

While Melee's model of Ridley is "odd looking", you could chuck that to game limitations. Since he wasn't plan to be a playable character (in both Melee and Brawl), his design was created to complement the moment he was implemented in (in Brawl, his model was designed to be for a boss, and mostly would have been design differently if he was playable.) Also comparing Super Metroid styled Ridley to Other M Ridley isn't a good idea. Super Metroid Ridley is designed much differently then his OM version. OM Ridley has a better chance of working design wise because of his more humanoid appearance, which Sakurai would likely use before the SM Ridley since he'd be more flexible to use.

[collapse=Your grab argument]

Nope, no grabbing here.

Related to that bit, somewhere I've seen someone say that, because we've seen tons of matches on Pyrosphere but never seen Ridley, he MUST be playable. There's two easy counters to that: A) Like I just said, work in progress. They wouldn't leave a barely-functioning boss in the public demo. B) We all know Sakurai is a massive troll. He could've intentionally set it up so that the public builds have Ridley disabled on the stage.[/collapse]

I mention this before, but I'll state it again. Yes, maybe, JUST MAYBE, Sakurai and the dev team might of not had Ridley fully functionable at the April Direct. But then I ask, why even show him off then? Wouldn't it be a better idea to wait until he's finished and is working properly and can look presentable to the public? Why wait to reveal Yoshi as a playable character until he was finish in design, but not for Ridley? In fact, why show a finished Yellow Devil off and show a incomplete Ridley for? But to my original point, maybe Ridley wasn't finished yet at the April Direct. Why haven't they shown anymore footage of a completely finished Ridley, working and everything, a couple of months later after that direct so he could be properly decomfirmed to everybody still believing in Ridley? As I stated:

Keep in mind, Smash Bros 4 was in development for two years before the April Direct. Are you actually telling me that the dev team are that incompetent to not only finish a working Boss Hazard, but also dumb enough to show a incomplete Boss Hazard in a trailer meant to show content ready to be shown to the public?
[collapse=Your shadow argument]Alright even though it's technically part of the size thing, I'm going to address whatever you were attempting with the shadow math. Alright, so we can all agree, that shadow is huge. Pyrosphere isn't a small stage - it's longer than FD. That shadow takes up like a third of the the stage, similar to someone else who takes up a third of a stage (I'm looking at you, Yellow Devil). You're all yelling about how shadows get bigger, and yes, they do. But that would require being way high up above the stage if he were a playable size, and he clearly isn't that high up. But let's just keep rolling with your "higher up=bigger shadow, ridley confirmed" theory. You then go and do math on the size of his tail shadow and determine his playable size from there. But you don't factor in the enlarged shadow. You just run with that size and say that's how big Ridley is. Congratulations, your math has made it so it turns out that Ridley is actually shorter than Samus.[/collapse]

But is there a way for you to actually prove how big Ridley really is? I don't think you can, nor anyone can, and you know why? Sakurai has refuse to show Ridley directly in the April Direct and never has since that day. It's basicly impossible to judge how big Ridley is when we never seen him in action.

[collapse=Your argument about how high up Ridley is]But, since we're talking about height off the stage, let's address that fact that he's staying a consistent height off the stage. It's too consistent to be a player tapping the jump button to stay afloat, and it's too long without a landing to be a player as well. Only one other character has that ability, and it's Peach. We've yet to see anything about any of the other flying characters, like Charizard and Pit, having the ability to do this. At a week away from Japanese 3DS release, that seems like an important element of control to inform people about. Rather, it invokes a canned animation for an NPC. Next, while he isn't super high off the ground, he's high enough off that there's very little you could hit him with without jumping, which would be incredibly cheap for a playable character, but is clearly OK with the Yellow Devil. And, in going back to the shadow thing AND the grabbing Pikachu thing, how would Ridley be able to grab Pikachu if he was small enough to be playable, but high enough off the ground to create a shadow that large? You can't grab while jumping (save Koopa Klaw, which defaults to throwing them whether you make an input or not) and like I just said, no playable character would, by default, be that high off the ground with just his tail and some of his toes as being attackable with having to leap for him.[/collapse]

Now there's no proof about what I'm about to say, but what's stopping Sakurai from making a flying/flight mechanic for Ridley, despite Peach having one herself? Nothing at all. Because Palutena does the same thing as a U+B move. So why can't we assume what Ridley did in the April Direct be a mechanic designed around Peach's/Palutena's floating mechanic for Ridley to use?

[collapse=Your miscellaneous stuff]Now for some miscellaneous stuff

One thing that really strikes me as odd for you lot is that you seem to care more about him getting in than you do about him being right. Sakurai's said in the past that, had they really poured their efforts into it, they could've had a playable Ridley in Brawl. But he also mentions it would've been nearly impossible, and even if they did, he'd be really slow. Slow isn't exactly the word I would use to describe Ridley. I mean, I would've been pissed if they had revealed Megaman as a grappler-type character with none of his iconic weaponry, or if Mewtwo turns out to be in but instead he just runs around and shoots people with a gun.[/collapse]

About the hole. Yes maybe Ridley made it to escape from the battle field after someone defeats him, that could be a reason why that hole is there. But to say, "that doesn't seem like it would be a necessary one unless Ridley was involved on the stage somehow", that isn't really the case. One of Sakurai's PotD shows us a area not noticeable in game, which is a corridor similar to one located in that area in Pyrosphere. However, here's something to note. That area is located in the foreground of the stage, something the players will have no way of seeing unless they hacked the game's camera. I know, this is something you can argue that it's another place for Ridley to go into if the first hole (which wasn't made by Ridley until he left that area) isn't where Ridley goes to. But here's the problem, why would Sakurai make Ridley go in front of the camera, obstructing the view of the players, to go to an area we can't see Ridley even go into. Having that corridor there not only makes the " that doesn't seem like it would be a necessary 'thing to have'" statement moot, but also rids the hole idea for Ridley to go into since there is a hole much bigger than the hole in the background for Ridley to go into, yet it's placed in a area that is not only unorthodox for Ridley not to take, but is put in a place that would make Ridley's escape sequence too distracting on screen.

Everything I stated above can be seem subjective, as I am not the person best to handle rebuttals like this, but just needed to say my two cents. I replied to things I could reply to and things I didn't are either something I couldn't counter at the moment (3:00am where I'm at), seemed pretty subjective(stuff that really can't be proven), or things I didn't bother to take a second glance at(again highly subjective stuff).

Feel free to reply to my remark, as I know you will (again not really good at this kind of stuff), but I know by the time I post this, you probably got plenty of replies by now.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
About Ridley's size in the Melee intro. He is that small in order to fit into the space where the fight is occurring, while also allowing him to jump about. Hey look, his size apparently isn't important enough to be kept "consistent" (as if there was any consistency to begin with. Didn't Ridley shrink down in MP3 after turning into Omega Ridley?}, but hey, he is allowed to jump and fly and dive about! Which kind of fits with how he fights in the 2D games! No, he does not look awkward. I'm not in denial, I just don't understand the whole intimidation factor that apparently is bound to Ridley. Ridley really shouldn't be intimidating because of his size, but because he is fast and relentless.

The Prime fights with Ridley are so disappointing. I actually managed to semi-lucidly dream last night, and managed to conjure up a good first-person 3D Ridley boss fight. It was pretty interesting, as he spent most of the time lurching around in the air and using tail attacks. He was also kind of a deal smaller. Which makes me think, perhaps the large size that he was allowed to get in the 3D games (as size there didn't really factor into gameplay as much) was detrimental to the fights? Maybe a smaller Ridley would actually be better in the Metroid games!

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Warning Received
You guys don't seem to realize that you're irrationally attached to the idea of playable Ridley. My dream character for Smash is Shantae (and to a lesser extent, the return of Mewtwo) but I've already come to terms with the fact that the likelihood of her ever making it in is all but non-existent. (and in Mewtwo's case, possible, but if he doesn't, so be it. You will be missed.)

In a week, I highly expect

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You guys don't seem to realize that you're irrationally attached to the idea of playable Ridley. My dream character for Smash is Shantae (and to a lesser extent, the return of Mewtwo) but I've already come to terms with the fact that the likelihood of her ever making it in is all but non-existent. (and in Mewtwo's case, possible, but if he doesn't, so be it. You will be missed.)

A perfect specimen of the common internet troll. Watch as he posts in a thread without bothering to read the related arguments. Note how he claims irrationality on behalf of others, yet offers nothing except memes and joke images to support his own position.

While the internet troll is of course one of the most common entities one may find while exploring the vast expanses of online space, it is rare to see such an ideal example in the midst of our very own habitat.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

*Assuming we're all irrationally attached* Yeah, not the case my friend. Most people I've seen in this thread couldn't give a flying monkey's if he was playable or not, it would be nice, but I think many people are prepared for the other outcome

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

W-well...you're irrationally attached to a non-playable Ridley! Ha! In your FACE!!!!
Not everyone is like that. I think that it could still go either way. Ridley has a lot going for him, mind you.

Last edited:

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice

So no rebuttals, no comebacks, shouting irrational only?

Alrighty mate. But once Ridley is confirmed, we're not inviting you over to the newcomer party on the Frigate Orpheon. It'll have blackjack and parasites.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Am I the only one who finds the "Ridley is too big" argument funny? I'm willing to bet you if Sakurai felt Ridley was too big he would have mentioned it but no, he said if Ridley was to be in Smash, he would be slowed down a bit.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I doubt it.

By the way, if Ridley isn't playable, don't you think we deserve an explanation from Sakurai?
Like we did with Brawl which if anything raised more questions than answers?

I see I missed a lot of things that went on after being gone for just a short amount of time earlier, which is funny because when I was around browsing most of the time earlier in the day, there wasn't that much happening.

Expected as the response was, I still like what that NoA tool said in regards to that bait e-mail, or at least the context of it. CantGetRidOfTheRidley, even if partly because of the username alone, seems by far one of the most awesome um... new users that's been lurking here for around a year. Scary.

And I'll be honest, even if Ridley gets deconfirmed, the purple alt for Charizard would encourage me to use him a bit more.

*snip*

Video of another boss fight.

This time on find Mii...

Dark Emperor sits around a lot...

T.T
These are some of the most polarizing bosses I've seen in a long time. If what I've seen of Yellow Devil and now Dark Emperor in action is any example of what's in store for Other M Ridley, it grabbing Pikachu and then doing nothing as Pika broke free suddenly makes more sense to me far as my understanding of these enemies' patterns and functionality...

I know some have already said that as a boss him grabbing Pikachu and doing nothing as the mouse breaks free would make no sense which normally I'd agree with by Ridley boss standards, but what if his AI's simply just that ********? I mean, an occasionally intrusive enemy wouldn't be designed to be that relentless anyway, so the players won't be obstructed too much as they're fighting each other... If he's a hazard of course.

Still a waste of hype and development though either way. These hazards I mean, not the game itself... Much as I wasn't a fan of Dyna Blade Ridley and how it fought, it's not looking so bad about now. ~ As usual though, I'll hear out what some others have been saying on this matter in the meantime.

For god sake, put yourself together. :glare: A Space Pirate never falters, remember?
Relax, he's a part-time pirate.

Alas, I was gonna address Trogdorbad's points bit by bit some like a couple others already did, but given the condescending nature of one of the last posts, I can see now it wouldn't have been worth the time.

Like before with Brawl, if Ridley's not playable the detractors will merely be right for the wrong reasons, so even if it happens again and they come back here to try and claim our delicious tears, don't give them the satisfaction. Let 'em starve as they get nothing from us and then crawl back to the holes from which they came.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
These are some of the most polarizing bosses I've seen in a long time. If what I've seen of Yellow Devil and now Dark Emperor in action is any example of what's in store for Other M Ridley, it grabbing Pikachu and then doing nothing as Pika broke free suddenly makes more sense to me far as my understanding of these enemies' patterns and functionality...

I know some have already said that as a boss him grabbing Pikachu and doing nothing as the mouse breaks free would make no sense which normally I'd agree with by Ridley boss standards, but what if his AI's simply just that ********? I mean, an occasionally intrusive enemy wouldn't be designed to be that relentless anyway, so the players won't be obstructed too much as they're fighting each other... If he's a hazard of course.
Pikachu wasn't grabbed. That's just his feet together. The tail is the shadow of Ridley's own tail bending around the stage geometry, which makes it look like Pikachu's trademark zig-zag bolt tail.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So judging from the Dark Emperor's behavior making Ridley a stage boss would be the biggest disservice to his character they could possibly do, just as anticipated.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who finds the "Ridley is too big" argument funny? I'm willing to bet you if Sakurai felt Ridley was too big he would have mentioned it but no, he said if Ridley was to be in Smash, he would be slowed down a bit.
RIDLEY IS TOO FAST

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT SUCH A FAST CHARACTER IN SMASH BROS

BEING FAST IT LITERALLY RIDLEY'S ENTIRE CHARACTER, CHANGING IT WOULD RUIN HIS SPEED FACTOR

NO YOU CAN'T SLOW HIM DOWN LIKE SONIC

RIDLEY'S LEGS ARE ODDLY PROPORTIONED YOU CAN'T SLOW HIM DOWN LIKE SONIC

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Pikachu wasn't grabbed. That's just his feet together. The tail is the shadow of Ridley's own tail bending around the stage geometry, which makes it look like Pikachu's trademark zig-zag bolt tail.
I'm pretty much in a agreement. Although, I can see how people can get confused by the "Pikachu shadow" because of Ridley's wing's keep getting in the way. But to me, it does look like it's just his tail.

Alas, I was gonna address Trogdorbad's points bit by bit some like a couple others already did, but given the condescending nature of one of the last posts, I can see now it wouldn't have been worth the time.
Pity. And his argument post was something bold for a detractor to do compared to the "lo1z Rildy sux, 2big4smash" comments other detractors make, and was something you could actually consider thinking about against Ridley (Some better then most.) But oh well.

RIDLEY IS TOO FAST

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT SUCH A FAST CHARACTER IN SMASH BROS

BEING FAST IT LITERALLY RIDLEY'S ENTIRE CHARACTER, CHANGING IT WOULD RUIN HIS SPEED FACTOR

NO YOU CAN'T SLOW HIM DOWN LIKE SONIC

RIDLEY'S LEGS ARE ODDLY PROPORTIONED YOU CAN'T SLOW HIM DOWN LIKE SONIC
"SANIC IS FASTEST CHAR, NO CAN B FASTER!"

*cough Palutena cough* *cough Shulk cough*.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Pikachu was grabbed. You can see him jumping away from him afterwards.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So judging from the Dark Emperor's behavior making Ridley a stage boss would be the biggest disservice to his character they could possibly do, just as anticipated.
I actually doubt that. Dark Emperor's fighting behaviour is very, very much in line with the original boss battle.
Find Mii is a very simplistic game with very little to no depth as far as I know. You can hire fighters (which apparently are mostly kittens) with play coins. During the fight you can cycle through the fighters without the enemy attacking. You can also use magic, after which the fighter gets tired and leaves the party. I believe that normal attacks also cause that but I'm not sure. Either way, the Dark Emperor himself has a level-down aura (which can be dispelled), and after your fighters attack he scares them away by roaring. It's literally all he does. This is probably why he is also so boring as a stage boss; it's supposed to be true to the original game, and, well, he didn't really fight there. He just scared people.

Pikachu was grabbed. You can see him jumping away from him afterwards.
No, he wasn't grabbed, and you couldn't see him jumping away. I've seen the footage a multitude of times just to try and make out what the hell was going on there, and I've concluded that Pikachu was not, in fact, grabbed. The "grabbing" animation was more or less a transition animation between air-running and air-hovering. It was an air-brake.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Again, the entire concept is antithetical from the beginning. Why would you want to have an active combative NPC during an actual match? By default, they can't do much (or they'll be even more annoying then they are already) and have to sit around to get, since you can actually defeat them. There's no way Ridley would even remotely fight the same way as his games or even be as aggressive. Brawl's Dyna Blade Ridley Boss fight is looking preeeeeetty good right now...

First, the Yellow Devil. Now the Dark Emperor. Sorry Sakurai, but I would looooooove to hear your reasoning on why Ridley would be a good boss.
Relax, he's a part-time pirate.
@Swampasaur is a hired Kihunter. Not entirely the bravest bee though, he keeps buzzing about how his "dreams" keep getting "crushed"...

We tolerate him :troll:

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Let's just lead off with the one you guys claim to have nailed down: size
You always use Bowser and Olimar, sometimes the Pokémon, as arguments for the whole "Smash doesn't ekep sizes" thing. Reminder that Pokémon, in-universe, are not all the same size. For the sake of programming, yes, every sprite/model of the species is the same size, but even those aren't accurate *cough*wailord*cough*. Bowser has never been consistent is size, whereas Ridley has always been twice as big as Samus, if not bigger. No, NES Metroid doesn't count. Ridley was only tiny due to the NES' limits, and the game got remade as Zero Mission anyways which made Ridley his proper double height.
This all basically boils down to the "Ridley is the only exception/____ doesn't apply to him because ____" argument.

Never mind the fact that size in Smash has repeatedly been stated to not always stay true to scale, much less adhere to canon.

As a reminder, samus is at least 6' tall in her armor. That places Ridley at 12'+. If we take SM64 as a base for Bowser he's a little over twice Mario's height, which, iirc, clocks in at 4'-5'. So let's place The Bows at 9' for the sake of being in the middle. Rosalina is also roughly twice as tall as Mario, slightly shorter than that really. Shrinking Bowser by a foot or two isn't the same as halving Ridley's size.
Your guesstimates bring shame to all the size measuring/comparisons @Oasis_S and @Mario_and_Sonic_Guy have done.

Aside from the Mario characters, which would put Bowser well over 10 feet (that's going of just doubled height thing you stated, when in reality his "default" size is often even bigger, save for obvious things like Mario Kart), there's hardly any problem with shrinking Bowser because his size changes to fit the needs the developers have. Meaning yes, he'll be playable size, and look just fine doing it because they've done it before (need I even bring up the Honey Queen in Mario Kart example?).

And when you guys keep bringing up Melee's opening, do any of you even realize just how strange Ridley looks in that shot?

The longer you look at it, the stranger it gets.
Are you even trying to not come off as pretentious? This size looks good, great, even perfect to some, if not most people who see this cutscene. There's nothing awkward about it, you just refuse to even acknowledge that people have different opinions than you.

Furthermore, you have no concept of perspective. Ridley is much bigger than you're giving him credit for. He's in the bloody background compared to Samus, not to mention the baby Metroid he's holding in his talons is bigger than Samus' head.

As far as Olimar is concerned, sizing him up doesn't get nearly as awkward. Alternately, you should be taking into consideration that canonically, Smash Bros. is about statues duking it out. No one's gonna buy an Olimar statue if he's the size of a quarter. Would YOU buy that Amiibo? And no don't try and tell me Ridley would be shrunk for that. A Ridley statue would be a special edition statue larger than the rest, eg twice Samus' height, because that would make a hella cool display piece. Also, I see Ganondorf mentioned every once in a while for this argument. Ganondorf became a hell of a lot less intimidating being shrunk down to only slightly taller than Link. Do you REALLY want to lessen Ridley's intimidation factor that much? I won't deny though that he's clearly smaller than he was in Brawl, but that's a given because even as a stage boss, he can't be the size of Brawl's boss-bosses.
Amiibos are merchandise that don't even try to adhere to size/canon. Nor do the trophies/statues, which contrary to popular belief, are not the same size as their playable counterparts (unless you're going off the SSE, which obviously had to scale "life-size" trophies). If you're telling me they're a legitimate reason why anyone can't be playable, well, I see we're not getting anywhere with you anytime soon.

Really? You can't think of anyone that would buy just about any piece of merchandise? This is more of the "I can't think of it so therefore no one does it/thinks this way" arguing. I have plenty of friends that are Pikmin fans and would go nuts over life-sized Pikmin memorabilia.

Uhh, news flash, Ganondorf became less intimidating when you were able to do this with him, not because of size:

Which is perfectly fine. This is a party fighting game that's meant to be taken light-heartedly, and does nothing to affect his intimidation factor in his own games. Ridley would still be intimidating in the eyes of his fans, just as Ganondorf still is to Zelda fans.

I guess at least I don't think I've seen any of you going so far as to be like those that were screaming NO YOSHI NO BUY in the months before the Direct. What the hell was that about? Yes, I know, Yoshi's popular, but...Yoshi? I mean for starters, why would you ever not buy a Smash game if you like the series, but also, come on guys. We all knew he was in, Sakurai will never cut the original 12.
Umm, excuse people for having different attachments to characters than you? I know plenty of people who didn't buy things like Mario Kart 7 because it didn't have Waluigi, or yes, won't buy Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U because of a character they want playable. That's all well and fine, their decision doesn't affect me in any tangible way. And I don't blame them, if a product doesn't cater to my needs/wants, be they incredibly specific things like characters (which, y'know, is how this game is being advertised. As the "best character game ever") or broad things like gameplay mechanics, then I'd do what any consumer would do. Not buy it.

Not everybody here is saying Ridley is make-it-or-break-it for them. And if they are, so what? Would you play the game if they didn't include your favorite characters? Yes? Well again, good for you. Everybody can do whatever they damn well please. What exactly makes your views better than theirs, ours, or anybody's?

I admire and respect that you took the time to come here and post your arguments, even after losing them to the temporary crash, but if your arguments all consist of pointing out that people see things differently then you therefore are wrong, I'm afraid that the whole effort was in vain. I didn't respond to the other arguments because quite frankly, they've all been done to death. It's your time/leisure or whatever to try to get your point across, but you won't do it like this.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I once had a dream in which Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong were riding on (stage hazard) Ridley's back in the Pyrosphere in a PotD.

Ridley was scared out of his wits, at least from what I can remember, and DK and Diddy looked as though they were cheering as they used him to attack the other players. They apparently 'defeated' him and were now using him to attack everyone else, filling in the notion of there being "playable bosses".

I have no idea why I'm bringing this up now, but considering how much of a joke certain characters are reduced to in this series, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say that the video of 'Shocking Evidence Ridley is playable in Smash'? It hasn't even been out for 12 hours, and it already has 25,623 views as of typing this.

I've heard so many people say 'Ridley is only requested and popular on X site' or 'Ridley's not that popular, it's only a vocal minority!' If that isn't solid proof that Ridley is a very big character relating to Smash, than I honestly don't know what is.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I just want to say that the video of 'Shocking Evidence Ridley is playable in Smash'? It hasn't even been out for 12 hours, and it already has 25,623 views as of typing this.

I've heard so many people say 'Ridley is only requested and popular on X site' or 'Ridley's not that popular, it's only a vocal minority!' If that isn't solid proof that Ridley is a very big character relating to Smash, than I honestly don't know what is.
This just shows the reason why I love this fandom. We all stick together in our own little community.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I noticed that too, but then watch 'em say it be because most of the views were just from youtube detractors being up to their usual antics in the video comments, so he's still not as demanded as any of us say. People make up whatever imaginary hurdles to suit the needs of their arguments.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
GODDAMN. 110 ALERTS! Found something

But wait, Andross is an AT! He can't POSSIBLY have 2 roles! It seems dual roles aren't limited to designs, so Ridley being a boss and playable with different designs isn't too :083:
EDIT: This is fake, and I feel dumb for thinking it was legit

Last edited:
Top Bottom