• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
While I agree that there are some good arguments to be had that Ridley is some sort of stage hazard ( :crying: ) or playable boss ( :crying: ), I can't agree that I would just be "oh well" with it. I am far too loyal to Metroid and dragons being in all sorts of games I played as a child (hence my name) to take that downgrade as anything but a slight "**** you".

I know I come off as blunt because I don't like to type a lot and I'm sure some of you find me as weird, but I really dislike conflict. I don't want to send letters to NoA telling them that while I love the Smash end result I'm scared for Metroid and I am not happy with its current direction or Ridley. But I certainly will do that because I don't like slaps to the face.

However, again, I must restate that I consider that April Direct tease as something for show. It's definitely not too big, but it sure looks and acts horribly enough for me. :oneeye:

EDIT: I look at it like this too - fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now I'll let you know about it.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hmm. I still can't get the mind set of Ridley/Roidley duel roles being a absolute thing for him. But as duel roles seems to be a thing, who knows? Will just have to see.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
GODDAMN. 110 ALERTS! Found something

But wait, Andross is an AT! He can't POSSIBLY have 2 roles! It seems dual roles aren't limited to designs, so Ridley being a boss and playable with different designs isn't too :083:
For clarification before the speculation gets crazy, this is fake:
7/29/2014

Welp:

55 Chars (59 if counting Luma, 2 other Mii Fighters, and Nana). Also pointing out the most questionable choices:

GANONDORF
-Ganondorf gets a reboot. His moves are mostly new:
-Neutral is a projectile
-Down Special is his cape reflect
-Side Special is still the same
-Recovery is similar to R.O.B
-Standard attacks that weren't C. Falcon's stay and the changed moves and aerials consist of swords

ANDROSS

-Sized down and completes the Star Fox representation
-New Villain
-Glass Cannon type fighter
-Move set consists of zoning with projectiles (including his hands) and has a Neutral special that is Dedede's ihale move with a much longer range and Wario's bite and stronger bite damage
-New size class is introduced.
-Andross is the largest of the new size class (Ridley 2nd, K. Rool 3rd).
-Easy character to be comboed and grabbed due to his big size. Would most likely end up being mid-tier if not lower.
Photoshopped right out of Starfox 64 3D if I recall.

Hmm. I still can't get the mind set of Ridley/Roidley duel roles being a absolute thing for him. But as duel roles seems to be a thing, who knows? Will just have to see.
It's not entirely feasible. It would be double the work, I would think, since Ridley would be programmed under Boss parameters and programmed entirely for Playable purproses. Even worse if both the Boss Ridley and Playable Ridley sport different models and animations.

If such a thing really did happen, I would have to apologize to Sakurai: he must really love the Space Pirate Commander to go through all that work for him :laugh:

Last edited:

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
GODDAMN. 110 ALERTS! Found something

But wait, Andross is an AT! He can't POSSIBLY have 2 roles! It seems dual roles aren't limited to designs, so Ridley being a boss and playable with different designs isn't too :083:
hmm interesting... is that apart of smash run or is that gerudo valley
EDIT: that **** is fake apperently thanks Zynux :happysheep:
Also PIRATES KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!!! WE GOT A WEEKEND AND A FEW DAYS LEFT!

Last edited:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I was already pretty convinced Ridley is playable and his shadow always looked like a player character to me. And this new evidence video just seals the deal for me. If Ridley isnt playable, I will be very surprised.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I was already pretty convinced Ridley is playable and his shadow always looked like a player character to me. And this new evidence video just seals the deal for me. If Ridley isnt playable, I will be very surprised.
Can anyone link it to me? Having trouble finding it.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Have we all seen the leaked images of what looks to be the next trailer?

Seems to be another preview of the mii fighters (which I thought were covered by the Reggie vs Iwata thing).
This makes me doubtful of us receiving a Ridley trailer as well. That is, unless he were to appear alongside the miis, which this image doesn't show, and just seems plain weird.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's not entirely feasible. It would be double the work, I would think, since Ridley would be programmed under Boss parameters and programmed entirely for Playable purproses. Even worse if both the Boss Ridley and Playable Ridley sport different models and animations.

If such a thing really did happen, I would have to apologize to Sakurai: he must really love the Space Pirate Commander to go through all that work for him :laugh:
Egh, yeah... As it stands, I'd see him giving Ridley two separate boss roles like he did in Brawl with the regular and Meta-Ridley long before I see him giving Ridley two functionally different roles like that.

And figured as much about the Andross image. Thought something was fishy about it, aside from the overall blurriness of the picture.

Oh, and acknowledged @ those who pointed out to me earlier that Ridley didn't really grab Pikachu in the shadow. Don't care that much about it either way though, as it hardly even changes my stance on his chances, but that EWNetwork dude on youtube's still a cool supporter in my book even if he was incorrect on the shadow analysis.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Considering that we were being shown the Wii U version, which still, at the time, had up to 8 months to go before being released, it's highly possible that they only had him at a very basic level of AI. Maybe he didn't have his attacks programmed in yet, maybe all he knew how to do was chase and grab.
wow, you really are desperate

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Well crap! I was fooled!

My apologies, I thought it was legit!

As the saying goes "Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

I would brace yourself for the fake images coming out the wazoo soon, since like I said a while back, this is going to be the perfect time for trolls to strike. I'm personally only going to believe official reveals, or the likes of GameXplain if they do a video with spoilers once the embargo lifts.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
That video was very, very interesting. He provided an interesting analysis of the shadow theory, and I have to say, it's becoming more and more likely that Ridley's in the game.

If I were to say between Ridley and Mewtwo, Ridley's more likely at this point. (Note to all Mewtwo supporters: I have walked the plank. I've lost all hope in seeing Mewtwo again. He was Greninja'd.:4greninja:) :(

EDIT: By the way, what does the character select screen from the Japan Over-the-Counter Demo for Smash 4 look like? Same as the leak? Is Wario present, cause if not, it's certainly not a final build.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What is your opinion about Ridley being a playable boss?

I do know* this question has been asked some times already, but as there's one week left, I would like to know now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I doubt this question has been asked some times already, but as there's one week left, I would like to know now.
Terrible. As Ridley moves slowly and barely attacks, letting you play as bosses also takes more time that making playable characters, and none of the bosses are remotley fun to even fight against EDIT: Sakurai said no gamepad gimmicks aswell

Charizard has been confirmed to have a purple skin, not that it disconfirms Ridley, as it's probably more Aerodactyl, but no new information about Ridley is known

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I doubt this question has been asked some times already, but as there's one week left, I would like to know now.
Don't care for gimmick modes, so it'd just feel like an incredibly cheap way to try and appease a fanbase.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

Well, I'd complain to myself for a bit, but I'd eventually get over it. I mean, freaking PacMan, Mario, MegaMan and Sonic in the same game.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

If they keep on following the design thingy of "staying true to the original games", then I bet he would kind of fight like the Other M boss fight. I think that might be okay as a boss? This is of course assuming that the Direct footage was set up, and that he doesn't act like that in the final version, and above all that he isn't playable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
SmilingMad has a point, the bosses are supposed to resemble their original fights! Yellow Devil is the same, only toned down a bit, Dark Emperor just stands there attacking anything that comes in contact from what I heard, so it's like in Streetpass Quest/Find Mii, but Ridley has never been this slow! the only time it comes close is the original where he doesn't move at all!

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
SmilingMad has a point, the bosses are supposed to resemble their original fights! Yellow Devil is the same, only toned down a bit, Dark Emperor just stands there attacking anything that comes in contact from what I heard, so it's like in Streetpass Quest/Find Mii, but Ridley has never been this slow! the only time it comes close is the original where he doesn't move at all!

*inb4stationaryRidleybosswhojusthopsaround*

Also, Mii Fighter vs Dark Emperor? Gonna be extremely satisfying

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
*inb4stationaryRidleybosswhojusthopsaround*

Also, Mii Fighter vs Dark Emperor? Gonna be extremely satisfying
I'm pretty sure Dark Emperor is never going to be satisfying to fight against in any way whatsoever. In the original game he only roared, and, well, that's what he does here. He roars. And levels people down with a passive aura. He'd probably be a better boss in Smash Run than on a stage, but I haven't played the game. Maybe it's actually better that way.

Ridley on the other hand, should he be a boss and stay true to his Other M fight, could be pretty interesting. Or at the very least, obnoxiously intrusive.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
I'm pretty sure Dark Emperor is never going to be satisfying to fight against in any way whatsoever. In the original game he only roared, and, well, that's what he does here. He roars. And levels people down with a passive aura. He'd probably be a better boss in Smash Run than on a stage, but I haven't played the game. Maybe it's actually better that way.
As long as I get to stab him. Please say I can stab him.

Stupid ghost... Making me leave my home to beat him... *grumblegrumble*

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

I do know* this question has been asked some times already, but as there's one week left, I would like to know now.
I'll almost never use the normal pyrosphere if thats a thing, neither will Gaur Plains, Wily Castle, and any stage with playable bosses.
Even if they are just hazards, if I can't "turn em off" then I'll go with the FD version most of the time.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
For clarification before the speculation gets crazy, this is fake:

Photoshopped right out of Starfox 64 3D if I recall.

Yeah, I made those two pics. The one with all the characters was made as a size comparison for the roster thread. The pic with Andross and DK I put together and added a lot of blur to see if anyone would believe it on /v/.:troll:

But the two pics also give people an idea of what his size could be if sized down. Since size isn't an issue in smash bros.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, what's the general consensus on that video of the Dark Emperor? Does that significantly harm Ridleys chances?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
No, Dark Emperor did the same thing he did in his fight, Yellow Devil? Same. Meta Face? Won't be the same due to the gameplay being too different from smash. Ridley? He was slow, ergo, not accurate at all.
We don't know about Metal Face yet, and since Xenoblade gameplay is semi-turn-based, it would actually work well. As for the Direct footage, could've been set up. Or something.
This is why he is so unlikely as a boss. Oh well.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
So, what's the general consensus on that video of the Dark Emperor? Does that significantly harm Ridleys chances?
Until we get actual footage of the full roster, pyrosphere, or Sakurai's word on the matter, anything can indirectly harm/help him depending how you see it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, Dark Emperor did the same thing he did in his fight, Yellow Devil? Same. Meta Face? Won't be the same due to the gameplay being too different from smash. Ridley? He was slow, ergo, not accurate at all.
All Metal Face really has to do is swipe at people with his claws and fire a laser cannon, and that would be staying true to his in game appearance (that and he'd need to say "pathetic" a lot).

Although I think this is a valid point. Sakurai often goes out of his way to make characters similar to how they were presented in their original games. He's even talked about this in interviews, before,

"For example, look at Samus," Sakurai said. "She's sort of floaty [in Super Smash Bros.]. The reason we've represented her that way is we've taken some of the inspiration from the original Metroid. I think the reason Samus felt floaty in the game is because you have to jump so much, you have to have a certain level of accuracy while you're jumping and shooting. By enabling her to be floaty, you're slowing down that motion allowing for better accuracy in her shooting. At least, that's how I interpret why she was floaty in the original game."

"What's important about that is realizing why Samus moves the way she does," Sakurai explained, "not just saying, 'This is how she moved in a previous game, so we're going to represent that because that's the way she's always been.' I have to really go and think about it all again before I give her that representation. It's making sure we understand that and using the same logic in creating her in this world."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

Is this really the kind of person who would make a "boss" Ridley into such an inaccurate representation of him?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
What's this about a video? What does said video have to do with Ridley?

(Why do I seriously get the fealing that the Pax leak with Doc and Ridley being downsized is legit?)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
what is up with everyone's opinion on Ridley being a playable boss. has the worst happened? has the dis confirmation happened.
Not that I know of
the dream is still alive!

Come one Ridley show your face
Show your eyes first, then your body, and then splash art making a size joke
especially a day before the japanese release.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
NOTHING has really happened, the demo shown yesterday didn't even change any speculation so far, it just confirmed alt skins and how some characters "feel" to play as. For character speculation and other IMPORTANT stuff, everything is the same still, untill a new leak or trailer comes out or whatever

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Avast supporters

I saw acouple of images from the demo thing going on and news and even that probably real mii trailer

Still no ridley in sight unbelieable

Last edited:
Top Bottom