• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
WOW I AM INCREDIBLY SALTY

i was literally about to post an insanely long thing i just wrote up pointing out flaws with quite a few of the arguments presented here, the site died for a second, i came back and the draft wasn't up to date

and by up to date i mean it only saved the first 2 paragraphs even though it's supposedly been saving them repeatedly

i'll come back and edit this later (or make a new post) with the full essay

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
So I emailed Nintendo's corporate office last week. I tried to get them to take my bait, and accidentally confirm Ridley's status in the game. This is what I sent:

Hello! I'm a major fan of Nintendo, in fact I own every Nintendo console (even the virtual boy!) and I've been playing Nintendo games for me entire life. I'm emailing you specifically about Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. I'm very much anticipating this title. In fact, I have actually gotten my young cousin (he's 11) excited about it himself. I got him a Wii U last year, and he's been loving it. Every time I see him, he tells me how he can't wait for Smash Brothers. One thing has me concerned, however. I've seen some pictures online of one of the playable characters in the game, Ridley. I'm familiar with the Metroid series and the Ridley character, and I'm actually pretty excited that you've included him in the playable roster for the new game. He seems like he'll be very unique. That being said, I worry about how violent the character will play. Like I said, I'm familiar with the character and I understand he's supposed to be a vicious space dragon. My concern is if the way he plays bumps Smash up to the an M rating from the ESRB, I'm worried my aunt my not allow my cousin to have the game. I understand how Smash works, but she doesn't. She'll look at the rating and it's be no-go. Obviously I don't want you to alter the game (as I said, I'm actually quite excited to play as Ridley). I'm just really hoping it doesn't get an M rating. I haven't been able to find the game's rating online, would you be able to let me know what the rating the game received is? If it's M, i'd like to start now in casually convincing my aunt that the game will be fine for my cousin. Thanks for any help!

Today, I got this response:
I read your email and I understand you concern. At Nintendo of America, we support the ESRB rating system, and we do not advocate somebody under the age of 17 playing or viewing the gameplay of an M rated game. However, rest assured that Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Super Smash Bros for the Wii U are both designed for wide audiences. While neither has been officially rated by the ESRB, we have strong reason to believe that neither installment will receive an M rating. In regards to the character Ridley having violent tendencies, while the final roster for the game has not yet been announced, I was able to take a look at the character. While he is true to his home game form, he is certainly not designed in a way that would likely cause a boost to the game's overall rating.

I hope I've been able to provide the answer you were looking for. Please feel free to contact us in the future with any further concerns using the official Nintendo website, and make sure to keep an eye on the official Super Smash Bros website for information on the game and it's roster, as not all playable characters have been officially revealed.

Thanks again for contacting Nintendo!

I'm not sure what to make of this. At two points in the email, the rep mentions that the final roster hasn't been officially announced. On one hand, she mentions that she was able to "look at the character" and notes how he true to game form. It seems she was clearly not trying to reveal Ridley's role in the game. Not sure what to think on the matter.

EDIT: since on facebook people think this was somehow an automated response... I'd like to point out the first sentence in the reponse email. Notice how she says "I understand you concern". Not "your". This was typed by a person. Not automated. And I DID NOT re-type the email. It was a copy paste. If this was some extremely specific auto-reply, there would be NO typo. But this was an easy typo that spell check wouldn't find.
That...is the most ingeniously evil bait ever. Ridley would be proud.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Why am I feeling that I want Ridley now to be in :3 As far I've know, the flying gimmick would be nice~* Hope he becomes a playable one ^_^

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So I emailed Nintendo's corporate office last week. I tried to get them to take my bait, and accidentally confirm Ridley's status in the game. This is what I sent:

Hello! I'm a major fan of Nintendo, in fact I own every Nintendo console (even the virtual boy!) and I've been playing Nintendo games for me entire life. I'm emailing you specifically about Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U. I'm very much anticipating this title. In fact, I have actually gotten my young cousin (he's 11) excited about it himself. I got him a Wii U last year, and he's been loving it. Every time I see him, he tells me how he can't wait for Smash Brothers. One thing has me concerned, however. I've seen some pictures online of one of the playable characters in the game, Ridley. I'm familiar with the Metroid series and the Ridley character, and I'm actually pretty excited that you've included him in the playable roster for the new game. He seems like he'll be very unique. That being said, I worry about how violent the character will play. Like I said, I'm familiar with the character and I understand he's supposed to be a vicious space dragon. My concern is if the way he plays bumps Smash up to the an M rating from the ESRB, I'm worried my aunt my not allow my cousin to have the game. I understand how Smash works, but she doesn't. She'll look at the rating and it's be no-go. Obviously I don't want you to alter the game (as I said, I'm actually quite excited to play as Ridley). I'm just really hoping it doesn't get an M rating. I haven't been able to find the game's rating online, would you be able to let me know what the rating the game received is? If it's M, i'd like to start now in casually convincing my aunt that the game will be fine for my cousin. Thanks for any help!

Today, I got this response:
I read your email and I understand you concern. At Nintendo of America, we support the ESRB rating system, and we do not advocate somebody under the age of 17 playing or viewing the gameplay of an M rated game. However, rest assured that Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Super Smash Bros for the Wii U are both designed for wide audiences. While neither has been officially rated by the ESRB, we have strong reason to believe that neither installment will receive an M rating. In regards to the character Ridley having violent tendencies, while the final roster for the game has not yet been announced, I was able to take a look at the character. While he is true to his home game form, he is certainly not designed in a way that would likely cause a boost to the game's overall rating.

I hope I've been able to provide the answer you were looking for. Please feel free to contact us in the future with any further concerns using the official Nintendo website, and make sure to keep an eye on the official Super Smash Bros website for information on the game and it's roster, as not all playable characters have been officially revealed.

Thanks again for contacting Nintendo!

I'm not sure what to make of this. At two points in the email, the rep mentions that the final roster hasn't been officially announced. On one hand, she mentions that she was able to "look at the character" and notes how he true to game form. It seems she was clearly not trying to reveal Ridley's role in the game. Not sure what to think on the matter.

EDIT: since on facebook people think this was somehow an automated response... I'd like to point out the first sentence in the reponse email. Notice how she says "I understand you concern". Not "your". This was typed by a person. Not automated. And I DID NOT re-type the email. It was a copy paste. If this was some extremely specific auto-reply, there would be NO typo. But this was an easy typo that spell check wouldn't find.
Say what?

Seriously, if that was a legit email, that essentially confirms him!

That and somebody lost their job.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I doubt it.

By the way, if Ridley isn't playable, don't you think we deserve an explanation from Sakurai?

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Say what?

Seriously, if that was a legit email, that essentially confirms him!

That and somebody lost their job.
The grasp is real

It's so vaguely worded that it could lean either way. The mention of the roster not being final is there to address the fact that he's asking about the roster, a softly worded "no i'm not going to tell you about the roster"

All she's confirming is that he's in the game (which we already know to be true), and that however he acts is true enough to the source without becoming M-rated.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
"Charizard can be purple" -Straight from Zipzo.

No...
Much as I loathe the idea, he's right but likely for entirely the wrong reason. Charizard's shining palette was originally purple with green canopies, when shining Pokémon were introduced in Gen II. The current black/red canopies version came in with Gen III. Of the two, the former is more likely to be a palette swap for him, because MegaZard X.

And now you know why I keep pushing the orange/blue canopies palette for Ridley. :laugh:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Just because there were two other blue haired swordsmen didn't stop a third one from appearing, I doubt a purple dragon who has no connections to Metroid means anything.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
And I'm back. Thought Ridley was confirmed while I was afk or something and caused everything to crash, geez.

With regards to the whole "grabbing Pikachu" argument, I'm still pretty certain that the shadow is just his tail and foot (or even the baby Metroid).

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
And I'm back. Thought Ridley was confirmed while I was afk or something and caused everything to crash, geez.

With regards to the whole "grabbing Pikachu" argument, I'm still pretty certain that the shadow is just his tail and foot (or even the baby Metroid).
No, he's clearly grabbing Pikachu, but the actual argument about it is highly flawed. For one, we only know one boss' behavior, and the Yellow Devil isn't a grabby fellow. Second, Ridley loves to grab people.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
(It was a joke.)
:p Gotta say it at the bottom of the post next time for the best results. Ridley has been under so much attack by various people that it's often difficult for supporters to tell when people are being serious or trolly. Or just telling an honest joke~

It'll all be over soon though. No more need for waiting once the full roster's confirmed. :)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
(It was a joke.)
:mariomelee: "Doh"

No, he's clearly grabbing Pikachu, but the actual argument about it is highly flawed. For one, we only know one boss' behavior, and the Yellow Devil isn't a grabby fellow. Second, Ridley loves to grab people.

And Ridley loves to move around, attacking, thrashing, and causing havoc with said character. Except he doesn't do that, in fact, he doesn't do ANYTHING for 5 sec.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

It's more so that he chased pikachu down, grabbed the mouse, and then didn't do anything, didn't squeeze, didn't drag, didn't smash, didn't even scrape. He just sat there and waited for the electrified rodent to leave. Just to chase after him again.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
yes but does he grab and let go without damaging the opponent?

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
:mariomelee: "Doh"

And Ridley loves to move around, attacking, thrashing, and causing havoc with said character. Except he doesn't do that, in fact, he doesn't do ANYTHING for 5 sec.
It's more so that he chased pikachu down, grabbed the mouse, and then didn't do anything, didn't squeeze, didn't drag, didn't smash, didn't even scrape. He just sat there and waited for the electrified rodent to leave. Just to chase after him again.
yes but does he grab and let go without damaging the opponent?
Considering that we were being shown the Wii U version, which still, at the time, had up to 8 months to go before being released, it's highly possible that they only had him at a very basic level of AI. Maybe he didn't have his attacks programmed in yet, maybe all he knew how to do was chase and grab.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Considering that we were being shown the Wii U version, which still, at the time, had up to 8 months to go before being released, it's highly possible that they only had him at a very basic level of AI. Maybe he didn't have his attacks programmed in yet, maybe all he knew how to do was chase and grab.
Its always posible, but I cannot see them not having the gameplay done by now as it should be mostly bug testing and balancing at that point.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I don't post often, but I've been following the Ridley controversy for sometime now. I would love for him to be playable. I truly think that he'd be considered to vicious and overbearing to a playable character. I know the size thing has been the one of the primary arguments made against him. I agree with points from both sides of the discussion. Yeah he can be resized like other characters, but downsizing him takes away a key aspect of the character. In almost every appearance (excluding the NES, which was probably due to limitations) Ridley has been portrayed as a large, intimidating space pterodactyl.

I don't think the development team blatantly ignores the fan base, but they have to consider the best way to represent characters so that they don't do a disservice to the franchise or the characters. Some characters work better as bosses, assist trophies etc. When I think Ridley I automatically think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Everything about him from his appearance to his theme song just screams "intense boss fight". And in Brawl we had two versions of Ridley, something no other character had.

So the development team clearly acknowledged that Ridley is an important character to the series. But I truly feel they like him better as a boss character. I find it hard to believe they'd demote him to stage boss though. I won't count him out just yet. I guess only time will tell.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Keep in mind, Smash Bros 4 was in development for two years before the April Direct. Are you actually telling me that the dev team are that incompetent to not only finish a working Boss Hazard, but also dumb enough to show a incomplete Boss Hazard in a trailer meant to show content ready to be shown to the public?

Last edited:

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
So we are shown a barley made Ridley boss that's the size of Bowser to hype up that Ridley is a boss despite that Ridley was 2 bosses in the last game and is probably in the top 5 most requested characters ? I really hope you'r wrong because if that's true that's the worst hype ever.

D

Deleted member

He still doesn't move or act like a boss usually does. The way pikachu escapes also makes him look much more like a playable character rather than a boss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I don't post often, but I've been following the Ridley controversy for sometime now. I would love for him to be playable. I truly think that he'd be considered to vicious and overbearing to a playable character. I know the size thing has been the one of the primary arguments made against him. I agree with points from both sides of the discussion. Yeah he can be resized like other characters, but downsizing him takes away a key aspect of the character. In almost every appearance (excluding the NES, which was probably due to limitations) Ridley has been portrayed as a large, intimidating space pterodactyl.

I don't think the development team blatantly ignores the fan base, but they have to consider the best way to represent characters so that they don't do a disservice to the franchise or the characters. Some characters work better as bosses, assist trophies etc. When I think Ridley I automatically think Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. Everything about him from his appearance to his theme song just screams "intense boss fight". And in Brawl we had two versions of Ridley, something no other character had.

So the development team clearly acknowledged that Ridley is an important character to the series. But I truly feel they like him better as a boss character. I find it hard to believe they'd demote him to stage boss though. I won't count him out just yet. I guess only time will tell.
Let me give you two useful pieces of information.

One: It's spelled "dragon." There's no "p" in it. ;)

Two: Grab-centric moveset. Give him his fireballs, but otherwise make him Smash's answer to Zangief, and that'll get across his brutality just fine. :teeth:

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice

Yes, but look at Ridley's animation. Or moreso, the lack of one. All the boss characters, since 64, have had really animated and expressive attack animations. The fact Boss Characters don't have limitations playable ones o allows them to go full out in animating them. And even the bosses we've seen, such as Dark Emperor and Twinrova are very animated. You could say Yellow Devil isn't but he's a callback to Mega Man 1, he was never animated to begin with. Ridley is certainly animated, as you've posted.

The way Ridley grabs Pikachu is far more like the way a Character would, as opposed to a boss.

Nintendo and Sakurai are very very anal about quality, I honestly don't see them even hinting at something that wasn't completely finished yet. I just can't see Sakurai saying "Well, he's no where near presentable, but let's show off his shadow that has animations of him." I mean, they didn't even hint at Yoshi until he was completely finished because of how they changed up his model and that took longer than expected.

I pray to ridley everynight, thanking him for the life i was given
Ridley died for your sins.

And on the Third Day he rose as a freakin cyborg space dragon. And again as a Phazon one. And again as the X Parasite infected corpse. And again as a clone.

There are also Robot Ridleys and Nintendo Land Ridleys you can pick up at the Zebes Gift Shop if you want.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So has there been a leak confirming or disconfirming ridley?
Not that I know of. The site was suffering lag due to a abundance of people in a 3DS Demo Thread (2000+ people in one thread, wtf?) causing the site to nearly crash.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
What is with all these new people on, GAH I can't understand what's going on. Is there some new info from real or fake sources or did some people organized a synchronized troll attempt on the space pirate stronghold?

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Its always posible, but I cannot see them not having the gameplay done by now as it should be mostly bug testing and balancing at that point.
8 months ago would still be finishing touches on some stuff. Heck, that video could've been months older than the Direct.
Keep in mind, Smash Bros 4 was in development for two years before the April Direct. Are you actually telling me that the dev team are that incompetent to not only finish a working Boss Hazard, but also dumb enough to show a incomplete Boss Hazard in a trailer meant to show content ready to be shown to the public?
You're implying that they should've had the game complete and ready to ship 5 months ago. For starters, if you watch that trailer, there's clearly things not fully right like DeDeDe's sleeves going nuts when he charges his hammer. Sakurai even leads in with the fact that the game is still a work in progress and things could change. Heck, the Destiny beta was just a month ago and it still had plenty of things wrong with it because guess what? A game generally isn't fully ready to be played until just before release. Anything you get before then, if shown in-engine, will more than likely have something wrong with it, somewhere. Heck, we're still getting PsOTD that have noticeable issues, like Link breaking his neck in one to look behind him, or one of Falcon's profile pictures having his neck nearly broken, plus his collar clipping into his face.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

Y'know, this hit me a long time ago. In every Metroid game, Ridley has always been bigger than Samus; even the NES Ridley. I personally believe the real key aspect of Ridley is his size compared to Samus. I feel that if he can be downscaled to be barely taller than Bowser, Ridley can still keep that key aspect; Ridley will still be bigger than Samus, and he should bode well enough for the majority of the Smash fans...give it time because of his controversial status. But hey, clever way to define a character! Eh? Ehhhhh? :denzel:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we can add Tsumugu and Shrek to the list of supporters ._.

Has there been any information of unlocking characters in the demos? I know it was said to be the final build of the game, but I guess it meant it's a demo of the final build, rather than the full retail version. I guess I had misinterpreted.

No Ridley confirmations from the demo, then.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Let me give you two useful pieces of information.

One: It's spelled "dragon." There's no "p" in it. ;)

Two: Grab-centric moveset. Give him his fireballs, but otherwise make him Smash's answer to Zangief, and that'll get across his brutality just fine. :teeth:
Ridley is a cross between a dragon and pterodactyl, but he shares more aesthetic features with a pterodactyl. His attacks (fire breathing, tail slashing) can be attributed to a dragon though.

As far as his moveset, I don't think it would be difficult to implement one from him. I just think the development team probably thinks character as a whole functions better as a boss.

Top Bottom