• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
THIS HAS BEEN LEFT UNCLEAR FOR OVER AN ENTIRE. FREAKING. YEAR!
Be careful not to post in all caps like that, or you'll get in trouble. But I agree though, Nintendo never stated Ridley was deconfirmed and refuse to show anything about what he does as a stage hazard.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
THIS HAS BEEN LEFT UNCLEAR FOR OVER AN ENTIRE. FREAKING. YEAR!
Yeah what's that got to do with bills tweets? He can't actually answer the questions so he made a lame joke. In no way was it insulting to anyone. You should chill and skyblade should stop trying to justify his saltiness.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Except that Ridley was never implied to be playable in the first place.
Which, again, DOES NOT MATTER. If your customers interpret your marketing to be indicating his playability, and you do not correct that interpretation, that is YOUR FAULT, NOT THE CUSTOMER'S.

D

Deleted member

Except that Ridley was never implied to be playable in the first place.
Technically, he is being indirectly implied as a playable character because of nintendo being so silent about his role after months of the shadow tease.
Edit: ninja'd. Skyblade, as usual, explains this much better than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Be careful not to post in all caps like that, or you'll get in trouble. But I agree though, Nintendo never stated Ridley was deconfirmed and refuse to show anything about what he does as a stage hazard.
They're probably going to let us find out about Ridley's abilities first hand, which I'm totally cool with.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Which, again, DOES NOT MATTER. If your customers interpret your marketing to be indicating his playability, and you do not correct that interpretation, that is YOUR FAULT, NOT THE CUSTOMER'S.
Just cus you keep repeating it doesn't make it true, especially when they pretty much said exactly the opposite

Zynux

Smash Lord
Cripes, when I saw in my alerts that IsmaR posted here, I thought for sure this thread got closed again.

I swear to god you guys, easy with these discussions.
Huh? It didn't even get that bad at all rofl.

I mean, one detractor and one supporter threw out "ur being dumb" but that was it, and was quickly stopped.

Y'all worry too much

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@ Naglfarii Naglfarii
I completely understand where you're coming from, but I feel that you're missing the point on why the marketing for Ridley has been, quite frankly, horrible. There's little logic behind it, as many users have already explained, and the pay-off will not bring hype.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Maybe he shouldve but no one here can say with a straight face sakurai had ever suggested ridley was playable, and in fact he has only implied the opposite
He's teased the opposite and danced around the point, just as he has in other cases, but only cases where they ended up playable.

They also make a point of squashing false speculation based on what they have presented, yet have made no effort here. This again implies that he's playable, otherwise they'd have ended this a year ago. They don't let such speculation float around based on what they've said / shown.

They aren't in the business of ticking off the largest support base in their biggest market, and put bluntly if he did go through all this just for him to be a boss (blatantly against everything they've said and done in other areas), even I'd be a tad ticked off, and I don't even like Ridley or care for him as a character, it just seems like a really nasty thing to have let fester for so long when they never do this to other groups.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah what's that got to do with bills tweets? He can't actually answer the questions so he made a lame joke. In no way was it insulting to anyone.
Actually, it would be far more correct to say "in no way was it meant to be insulting to anyone" (although, depending on Ridley's playable status, this is definitely debatable).

You can insult someone completely on accident. And, if you are doing it while representing your company (such as, by responding directly to a customer's request for information on a product), you can be held responsible for it. If enough customers take offense at it, it doesn't matter what you intended when you posted it.

You should chill and skyblade should stop trying to justify his saltiness.
Um, what "saltiness"? I'm just trying to explain some of the basic principles that anyone who is attempting to get into any PR related job needs to know. I'm not really upset about much of anything here.

Heck, I'm not even a huge "Ridley for Smash" requester. I like the character a ton, but his inclusion? Meh, I can either take it or leave it. He does make sense as the next option for a playable Metroid rep, and the series does need some more playable characters, so I like him making it from that regard.

I am simply utterly convinced at this point that, like it or not, he's in game. Nothing short of an official status update is going to change my mind on that. Why WOULD I be salty about Ridley? He's in the game, there's no need for me to be upset.

Just cus you keep repeating it doesn't make it true, especially when they pretty much said exactly the opposite
Go to your local community college. Take a course in marketing. Don't return to this particular line of argument until then, please.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Why are you even still here, @ Naglfarii Naglfarii ? You're not winning any fans. You're not convincing anyone that Ridley can't be playable. What are you getting out of this?

Seriously. Why are you here?

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
They haven't said anything. Do you not understand such a simple concept?
"Pretty much"

Obviously I'm talking about how the direct very directly implied ridley was a boss. Which isn't as good as a true reveal but I still think it trumps "indirectly implied he's playable cus they never said he wasn't"

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Calm down, dude. If anyone interpreted the Ridley scene as a hint of him being playable, I think they had the wrong idea. Personally, I don't see how the message could've been misinterpreted. It seemed pretty clear to me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Calm down, dude. If anyone interpreted the Ridley scene as a hint of him being playable, I think they had the wrong idea. Personally, I don't see how the message could've been misinterpreted. It seemed pretty clear to me.
An implication is never clear, by definition.

Why are you even still here, @ Naglfarii Naglfarii ? You're not winning any fans. You're not convincing anyone that Ridley can't be playable. What are you getting out of this?
It's 2:00 AM, he's waiting for the PotD, and he found a lively discussion to keep his interest.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, it would be far more correct to say "in no way was it meant to be insulting to anyone" (although, depending on Ridley's playable status, this is definitely debatable).

You can insult someone completely on accident. And, if you are doing it while representing your company (such as, by responding directly to a customer's request for information on a product), you can be held responsible for it. If enough customers take offense at it, it doesn't matter what you intended when you posted it.

Um, what salty-ness? I'm just trying to explain some of the basic principles that anyone who is attempting to get into any PR related job needs to know. I'm not really upset about much of anything here.

Heck, I'm not even a huge "Ridley for Smash" requester. I like the character a ton, but his inclusion? Meh, I can either take it or leave it. He does make sense as the next option for a playable Metroid rep, and the series does need some more playable characters, so I like him making it from that regard.

I am simply utterly convinced at this point that, like it or not, he's in game. Nothing short of an official status update is going to change my mind on that. Why WOULD I be salty about Ridley? He's in the game, there's no need for me to be upset.

Go to your local community college. Take a course in marketing. Don't return to this particular line of argument until then, please.
In all honesty, you summed up my opinions of Ridley 100%. I'm not fazed by Ridley. I think he fully 100% deserves to be playable, I think he'd be a great addition, but not having him isn't a big deal to me. I just honestly am convinced he is, really. :p

I'd say about 99% of people did. It wasn't until Sakurai REFUSED to outright show Ridley, then danced around the subject that people started to get suspicious. People started looking at the footage and thinking "this doesn't look right, he doesn't LOOK like a boss, and he looks so small."

Its not a matter of people misinterpreting it. Most people are trying to figure out why Sakurai is dancing around the subject of Ridley, and the obvious choice is clear: Ridley is actually playable. Obviously Ridley could just be a stage boss like Sakurai hinted (he never outright said it at all), but the fact that he never outright showed Ridley throws a red flag, and now other people are starting to troll about Ridley as well, including Bill Trinnen.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman

I felt Nintendo was being once again very unfairly accused of leading ridley fans on.

Why are you so bothered by my posts?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Is what I'm getting from this "discussion". I think we should drop it. Please?

Also, PotD is up. Still no deconfirmation of Ridley.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Maybe not, but it's something to go by, at least.
So is all the information in the second post.

So, for that matter, is the fact that no other character has been left with ONLY an implication except those who are later confirmed to be playable.

Also, now we need eight alternate skins for Ridley. We had BETTER get a Meta Ridley.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Pretty much"

Obviously I'm talking about how the direct very directly implied ridley was a boss. Which isn't as good as a true reveal but I still think it trumps "indirectly implied he's playable cus they never said he wasn't"
Still every single character that is apparently not playable has their role shown clear rather quickly so that false hype doesn't begin, except for ridley and metal face as of now.(Metal face's role will probably be outright confirmed in a short time though, unlike Ridley who we still haven't got any information on for months.)

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Because mabye its been known that Sakurai is a troll and tends to lie sometimes. It makes more sense to make everyone think hes a boss (shadow in the direct/comment on pyrosphere) only to trick us and reveal him into being playable, rather than the other way around.

He might think because he gave us two Ridley bosses in brawl that the majority of people wouldn't be surprised if he was a boss again but his awarness for his inclusion could be why Sakurai has been holding Ridley off from an official reveal instead of showing him off as a boss in the Smash Direct (by that I mean more than just a shadow).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
PotD is up!

First off, YES! I knew we were now getting eight palettes per character!

Second off, bugger, no Phazon Suit...

Third off, hey, at least Dark Samus is sort of playable...?

Well, at least it's Metroid related. Still no Ridley, though, so yeah.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Let's see.

Original Ridley.
Super Metroid Ridley.
Roidley.
Ridley-X.
Zero Mission Ridley.
Meta Ridley.
Omega Ridley.

What is the final color palette?

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
PotD is up!

First off, YES! I knew we were now getting eight palettes per character!

Second off, bugger, no Phazon Suit...

Third off, hey, at least Dark Samus is sort of playable...?

Well, at least it's Metroid related. Still no Ridley, though, so yeah.
Yeah and it shows how with the leak we will be getting Bowser Jr. With the Koopaling alts... Thank god for the Koopalings

7 more PODS tell Japan release.. come on break that street date for the sake of ridley.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Still every single character that is not playable has their role shown clear rather quickly, except for ridley and metal face as of now.(Metal face's role will probably be outright confirmed in a short time though, unlike Ridley who we still haven't got any information on for months.)
Here's the thing with Metal Face. He was teased SO DAMN close to launch, it doesn't matter if its similar to Ridley. They don't have to confirm Metal Face's role; we'll find out as soon as players turn on the game and start playing Gaur Plains. Ridley, however, was teased so long ago, he should've been shown off right away.

Because mabye its been known that Sakurai is a troll and tends to lie sometimes. It makes more sense to make everyone think hes a boss (shadow in the direct/comment on pyrosphere) only to trick us and reveal him into being playable, rather than the other way around.

He might think because he gave us two Ridley bosses in brawl that the majority of people wouldn't be surprised if he was a boss again but his awarness for his inclusion could be why Sakurai has been holding Ridley off from an official reveal instead of showing him off as a boss in the Smash Direct (by that I mean more than just a shadow).
Here's the thing. If Sakurai confirms Ridley is playable, he never once lied about Ridley's status. He just said "boss characters appear on other stages." Ridley is a boss character, and he never said Ridley was a boss, either. He never mentioned Ridley, not once. It was a tease, but he never showed or confirmed Ridley's status.

Let's see.

Original Ridley.
Super Metroid Ridley.
Roidley.
Ridley-X.
Zero Mission Ridley.
Meta Ridley.
Omega Ridley.

Maybe a Silver one based on the Ridley robot?

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I felt Nintendo was being once again very unfairly accused of leading ridley fans on.

Why are you so bothered by my posts?
Again, it is utterly bizarre they've let this drag on for a year, especially consider their behaviour on everything else. On it's own, in a vacuum, from a worse company, I wouldn't be surprised. But having this drag on with such speculation going on, for him to simply be a boss would be utterly utterly bizarre from them, people would be understandably confused and disappointed.

Why have this going for over a year, why is there nothing literally days out from release? We're into single digits for remaining days now. We may well know the full roster 9 days from now, why when Nintendo bother to even clear up whether "that was Link", would they not bother to clear up Ridley, when the only time they haven't in the face of such speculation has been for playable characters?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
So is all the information in the second post.

So, for that matter, is the fact that no other character has been left with ONLY an implication except those who are later confirmed to be playable.

Also, now we need eight alternate skins for Ridley. We had BETTER get a Meta Ridley.
I guess Ridley is just one of those special little creatures. But seriously, he's being kept a mystery, which is a good thing because it keeps us speculating about the character, and speculating is fun. ...Within reason, of course, let's not take things too far.

D

Deleted member

Here's the thing with Metal Face. He was teased SO DAMN close to launch, it doesn't matter if its similar to Ridley. They don't have to confirm Metal Face's role; we'll find out as soon as players turn on the game and start playing Gaur Plains. Ridley, however, was teased so long ago, he should've been shown off right away.
I know. I never meant to imply that metal face was playable, but his role isn't 100% clear right now.(But I would bet all of my money on stage hazard.) The only reason I mentioned him was that he was the only other character that has been teased and not completely shown or named yet.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Believe me, if Ridley is deconfirmed, we would look silly for believing in it. There's no doubt about that.

However, I personally think Skyblade's analyses are spot on from a marketing standpoint, and make sense if you want to go in PR. I don't think he's coming from "salt" at the possibility of Ridley being non-playable, but explaining pretty well why Nintendo is handling this whole situation relatively poorly. There is little to no payoff for it.

However, people in this thread need to stop doing this. He can post here if he wants, as long as he's not inflammatory (which he isn't). Just because he has a dissenting opinion doesn't mean he should leave.

Though admittedly the current argument doesn't seem to be going anywhere, sadly...

Let's see.

Original Ridley.
Super Metroid Ridley.
Roidley.
Ridley-X.
Zero Mission Ridley.
Meta Ridley.
Omega Ridley.

Mecha-Ridley

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Perfect. Silver, with green eyes. Mecha-Ridley. That fulfills our alt costume quota.

And my-gosh, would it be glorious...

Unfortunately, I'm betting they won't all be based on other versions. Just like Samus's outfits aren't all on her suits. Still, I'll take five out of eight (six, if they count Super Metroid Ridley as just "Red" Ridley).

Meta Ridley
Omega Ridley
Ridley-X
Super Metroid Ridley
Zero Mission Ridley
Mecha Ridley

Plus green Ridley and blue Ridley (wait, that would be either Omega or X, wouldn't it?). That would work.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Actually, yeah. That kind of color for Ridley would fit well alongside Light SuitStormtrooper Samus.

Last edited:

hot coffee

Smash Cadet
Hey look at the pic of the day. It's that statue that fake deconfirmed Palutena, except now Samus is standing in front of it. Samus is a metroid character. What does this mean? Is Ridley being teased again? Am I grasping the straws firmly enough?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know. I never meant to imply that metal face was playable, but his role isn't 100% clear right now.(But I would bet all of my money on stage hazard.) The only reason I mentioned him was that he was the only other character that has been teased and not completely shown or named yet.
I heard a rumor he was confirmed as a stage hazard on Twitter, but have heard nothing sense. I would not be surprised at all if someone tweeted that, but they were told to delete it because it would help confirm that Ridley literally IS the only "exception." But I have no confirmation on this at all, which is exactly the point.

Hey look at the pic of the day. It's that statue that fake deconfirmed Palutena, except now Samus is standing in front of it. Samus is a metroid character. What does this mean? Is Ridley being teased again? Am I grasping the straws firmly enough?
Yup. :D

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Again, it is utterly bizarre they've let this drag on for a year, especially consider their behaviour on everything else. On it's own, in a vacuum, from a worse company, I wouldn't be surprised. But having this drag on with such speculation going on, for him to simply be a boss would be utterly utterly bizarre from them, people would be understandably confused and disappointed.

Why have this going for over a year, why is there nothing literally days out from release? We're into single digits for remaining days now. We may well know the full roster 9 days from now, why when Nintendo bother to even clear up whether "that was Link", would they not bother to clear up Ridley, when the only time they haven't in the face of such speculation has been for playable characters?
Who knows. But you're like the one thousandth person to point this out and obviously it's never convinced me before so idk why you're bothering. You and many others think it means something, I doubt it.

We'll find out soon enough. I'll actually be happy if Ridley is playable

And yeah the 8 colors are really cool I'm looking forward to seeing the colors for other characters

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Perfect. Silver, with green eyes. Mecha-Ridley. That fulfills our alt costume quota.

And my-gosh, would it be glorious...

Unfortunately, I'm betting they won't all be based on other versions. Just like Samus's outfits aren't all on her suits. Still, I'll take five out of eight (six, if they count Super Metroid Ridley as just "Red" Ridley).

Meta Ridley
Omega Ridley
Ridley-X
Super Metroid Ridley
Zero Mission Ridley
Mecha Ridley

Plus green Ridley and blue Ridley (wait, that would be either Omega or X, wouldn't it?). That would work.
I doubt Meta and Omega. Their designs don't lend itself well to Palette swaps IMO. They're better off as alt. costumes. Agree with the rest though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom