• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
even if we cant see the newcomer trailer at the japan only direct. we can still see it in the smash website like robin

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
"Masahiro Sakurai here, today I was gonna give you an announcement of the two most-often requested characters, Metroid's fearsome Ridley and the genetically engineered Pokemon, Mewtwo BUT SOMEONE HAD TO GO LEAK, SO I CHANGED RIDLEY AND MEWTWO A BIT. RIDLEY IS A PALUTENA CLONE AND MEWTWO IS NOW ANOTHER MARTH CLONE, ALSO WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU MEGA MAN IS NO LONGER IN THE GAME BECAUSE CAPCOM WANTED HIM BACK"
Believable post, until that last line.

Since when has Capcom wanted anything to do with Mega Man? Nintendo has given far more love to the little guy in this one game. At least they made a Volnutt and .EXE render.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well to be fair, Alfanzo is much taller than Spirit Tracks Link.
No, that's not the point. Look, imagine if Meta Ridley would replace Roidley while Roidley is fighting. First of all, Metaley'd have different hitboxes, considering Roidley has longer arms and shorter legs among others. You can't just copy-paste things from one to another because they are entirely different. Now, if they both only use projectile and tail attacks it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but claw swipes for example would have a different range because arm lenght. Not to mention that Alfonzo is rather simple in design, while Metaley would require more work for the model.
And let's not forget you are basically creating a new boss that is only used when Ridley is being played on a certain stage. To me, that sounds like a huge waste of time, it'd be better to have one Ridley version be the stage boss while the other is always the playable one. Or just let the boss vanish when he's playing.

Believable post, until that last line.

Since when has Capcom wanted anything to do with Mega Man? Nintendo has given far more love to the little guy in this one game. At least they made a Volnutt and .EXE render.
They want to do to Megaman what Squeenix did to Geno.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm just gonna keep my expectations low for this Japan only direct. There could be a few surprises for us, but who knows.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm just gonna keep my expectations low for this Japan only direct. There could be a few surprises for us, but who knows.
Most requested western character. Japan only Direct...

Trolling potential found.

Ridley confirmed for tomorrow.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
1.png

I should use something with a less traditional look, but I like the chalkboard effect,,,,,

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Japan-only Direct... I suspect less "trolling" and more "vengeance," since the leak apparently came out of NoA...
Unlikely. Sakurai wouldn't punish the fans for an in-company screw up. It wouldn't be vengeance unless there were some serious steps being taken against all of NoA for the leak (assuming the leak is genuine, which I still doubt).

He also wouldn't let false hype build this long.

But I can see him forcing us to get our Ridley trailer through a secondhand Nintendo retweet. Just to continue the trolling he's been doing for the past year+.

I'm on this. :demon:
Good.

Last edited:
But I can see him forcing us to get our Ridley trailer through a secondhand Nintendo retweet. Just to continue the trolling he's been doing for the past year+.
Sakurai whenever he thinks about his next scheme to troll Ridley fans:

Edit: Also some people think we'll get a character reveal tomorrow due to Nintendo talking about Smash bros 3DS tomorrow behind closed doors at PAX, think about it....that might make up for NA and EU not getting this direct since I don't think PAX really bothers Japan.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Edit: Also some people think we'll get a character reveal tomorrow due to Nintendo talking about Smash bros 3DS tomorrow behind closed doors at PAX, think about it....that might make up for NA and EU not getting this direct since I don't think PAX really bothers Japan.
Yeah I was about to bring that up, there might be a reveal, just like the last closed event they did. If Sakurai reveals Ridley behind closed doors that would be a really dumb move. But as long as Ridley is in, I don't care how he is shown.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Had alittle discussion on reddit about Ridleys designs, might aswell copy it here:

The thing about the Brawl design is, it looks great, but only (AND ONLY) if looked at from a very specific angle and if he is posed in a very, very specific way (basically his boss pose). Otherwise, one will quickly notice that the proportions are all off and his head is just basically a total mess.

But my main problem with his Brawl design is... it makes Ridley look dim witted: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080812163552/metroid/de/images/a/ab/Ridley2.jpg

The eyes and the tounge, aswell as the comical teeth just make him look brainless. It doesnt represent his character well at all. For me, Ridley´s zero mission design is the perfect example of what Ridley is supposed to be: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/_...on.jpg/619px-Raidley_Metroid_Zero_Mission.jpg

Look at those eyes. That slight smirk he seems to have. There is something happening there. Yes, Ridley is a beast, but he isnt mindless. Its canon that he is a very very intelligent beeing. I think your model captures this aspect of him reasonably well

(the model in question: http://i.imgur.com/rFoJLki.jpg)

Besides, alot of people say his Brawl design is his Super Metroid design but.. that isnt really true, is it? It looks pretty close to Super Metroids promotional art design, but his ingame sprite looked nothing like that: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070823194955/metroid/images/6/63/Metroid_ridley.jpg

Again, Super Metroids ingame sprite is actually alot closer to what Zero Mission did later on.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah I was about to bring that up, there might be a reveal, just like the last closed event they did. If Sakurai reveals Ridley behind closed doors that would be a really dumb move. But as long as Ridley is in, I don't care how he is shown.
At this point playable Ridley is going to cause a gigantic internet hurricane no matter how Sakurai reveals him.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

I thought him to be more of the cartoony villain, giggling with malicious glee as he viciously manipulates the expectations of the Smash fanbase.

Had alittle discussion on reddit about Ridleys designs, might aswell copy it here:

The thing about the Brawl design is, it looks great, but only (AND ONLY) if looked at from a very specific angle and if he is posed in a very, very specific way (basically his boss pose). Otherwise, one will quickly notice that the proportions are all off and his head is just basically a total mess.

But my main problem with his Brawl design is... it makes Ridley look dim witted: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080812163552/metroid/de/images/a/ab/Ridley2.jpg

The eyes and the tounge, aswell as the comical teeth just make him look brainless. It doesnt represent his character well at all. For me, Ridley´s zero mission design is the perfect example of what Ridley is supposed to be: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/_...on.jpg/619px-Raidley_Metroid_Zero_Mission.jpg

Look at those eyes. That slight smirk he seems to have. There is something happening there. Yes, Ridley is a beast, but he isnt mindless. Its canon that he is a very very intelligent beeing. I think your model captures this aspect of him reasonably well.

Besides, alot of people say his Brawl design is his Super Metroid design but.. that isnt really true, is it? It looks pretty close to Super Metroids promotional art design, but his ingame sprite looked nothing like that: http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070823194955/metroid/images/6/63/Metroid_ridley.jpg

Again, Super Metroids ingame sprite is actually alot closer to what Zero Mission did later on.
Agreed, agreed and agreed. This is pretty much why I didn't like Brawley's design, the bulging eyeballs gave him the appearance of a mad beast. It also made Dogley/Adolescentley look stupid as hell, as despite the fact that he used the local wildlife to distract all the troopers in an act of stratagem and whatnot, he still gives you a very dim impression. Why didn't he get the green glowing eyes?

AndreaAC

catrinS.png

Since I'm not completely sure hoe to color it and fix it....I will leave it as a semi-rough sketch for now....It was a good practice at least....

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, I hope they'll announce the date for a trailer (on the 31st). I won't expect a character reveal in the direct, not if it is Japan-only.
like I said even if is japan only we can still see the new comer trailer one the web site or after the direct on youtube.. so is possible we get a trailer tomorow

D

Deleted member

I see a Soulless one with cuts and stitches crying
And the sharing is Kirby puking the food out to his teammates mouth to mouth. Or kissing.
Oh please, everyone knows that Andrea still hasn't caught me yet. :p

At any rate, to make it official:
Ridley X Isabelle?

:glare: Hey, let him have his shipping.
^Confirmation that Andrea only hates it when I ship things, I guess. :laugh:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
View attachment 23314
Since I'm not completely sure hoe to color it and fix it....I will leave it as a semi-rough sketch for now....It was a good practice at least....
Very good, you are getting the hang of it.

Ridley X Isabelle?

Hmmm. Birdley eats Soulless. @ AndreaAC AndreaAC , what do you think?

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
What Metroid anniversary is tomorrow.
The first day Ridley debuts as a playable character in super smash bros series?

Edit: Hopefully this is the case. Ridley in a Japan only direct... If it's already prerecorded it might as well already be subbed and ready to show during PAX or something.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley X Isabelle?

tumblr_inline_mon7lcImrD1qz4rgp.gif

Just....DIE FOR THE 50TH TIME...
Very good, you are getting the hang of it.

Hmmm. Birdley eats Soulless. @ AndreaAC AndreaAC , what do you think?
Thank you! :3 and I actually like the idea.... after I left his corpse somewhere...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Look at those eyes. That slight smirk he seems to have. There is something happening there. Yes, Ridley is a beast, but he isnt mindless. Its canon that he is a very very intelligent beeing. I think your model captures this aspect of him reasonably well

(the model in question: http://i.imgur.com/rFoJLki.jpg)

Yes, Brawl Ridley is nearly 1:1 Super Metroid design, just like Samus until Smash 4. There is some slight differences (eyes, tongue, wings and tail), but it is still Super Metroid design. Tongue looks cool IMO, but it never was so long or even noticable until Brawl and then it became shorter again.
IMO, Roidley is best official Ridley design, but it could have been better if he would have separated toes on his model, longer legs, thinner limbs and a different beak (no steroids bulls*** - he has less visible/noticable muscles than Brawl Ridley + visible pelvis bone and that is already something). Kinda like that 25th Metroid Anniversary Ridley from deviantart:

This design is my favourite Ridley design, even if it is not official one. Needs to be in Metroid or even SSB4. You can complain only about his giant wings. Everything else is perfect. Except for maybe lack of that 4th finger on back side of his feet.
Zero Mission Ridley is 2nd best official design IMO.

Jurassic Park nerd traitor guy? Is that you? Then i guess Dilophosaurus Ridley with neck frill attached to his neck is somewhere near him if this is Sakurai.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Updated yet again
I see I didn't miss out on any new Ridley news. Not that there ever is much anyways.
And yet we still have Ridley stuff to talk about/draw/superimpose! If that isn't proof that Ridley has an insane amount of love for him and that he'd be a much welcomed character, I don't know what would.

Space Pirates/Ridley supporters:
A
-AcanthusLux
-AEM
-Aenglaan
-AetherEch0s
-Afrodude
-afrozenaer0
-aldelaro5
-ARidley
-AncientTobacco
-andimidna
-AndreaAC
-Angelglory
-Anomilus
-APC99
-AquaDork1
-Arcanir
-ArcticWolf
-Ascended
-A'tal Rekramesh
-AuraShaman

B
-BaganSmashBros
-bananija
-Banjodorf
-Ben Holt
-BerryBomber
-berserker01
-bigbro2233
-BKupa666
-Blackmamba618
-BlindFox
-BlueBubbee
-BluePikmin11
-bobadz
-Body Man
-bombers14
-BowserK.Rool
-Bowserlick
-BoxedCookies
-BravadoMan_13
-Bravetriforcer
-Brawler610
-BridgesWithTurtles

C
-CalumG
-CamZilla94
-Capt. Butt Stallion
-Catydoll409
-CCD23
-CardiganBoy
-Carolus Rex
-cephalopod17
-Chase
-Chris Baker
-ChronoBound
-CJReynz1492
-Claire Diviner
-Cobalsh
-CombatScouter
-Connery
-Con0rrr
-coolmancool
-Cpt.
-Crainy
-Crocovile
-Cyberguy64
-CyberWolfJV TheGuy07

D
-D-idara
-DakotaBonez
Dalek_Kolt
-Dark Phazon
-darksamus77
-DarkSouls
-ddd87
-DeadlyLampshade
-DekuBoy
-DilowcsNollsnn
-dimensionsword64
-dlbpc
-domokl
-domriver
-Dracandros
-drag0nscythe
-Dragalon
-Dragomire
-DraginHikari
-Drclaw411
-DrizzyDrew
-Dromader
-DustyPumpkin

E
-egaddmario
-Eisendrachen
-El Fonz0
-eltaconojado
-Elite Gaymer
-Ember Reaper
-Empyrean
-Enderman_Aura
-EricTheGamerman
-ErictheLone
-Erimir
-ES. Dinah
-Eskelsen
-Exeggutor

F
-FalKoopa
-False Sense
-Farrac
-Fastblade5035
-Final Smash Gamer
-FinalStarmen
-FireEmblemnier
-FirstBlade
-foolssigma
-FooltheFlames
-Fr3aky Fight3r
-FreeFallUp
-Frostwraith

G
-Gam3rALO
-Game&Watcher
-GAMERG0D
-Garteam
-Gaxel
-Geno Boost
-GiantBreadbug
-Ginamudkipz
-Gingerbread Man
-GiornoGiovanna
-Glaciacott
-Glaqux
-Glyphoscythe
-God Robert's Cousin
-Godzillathewonderdog
-Gohan
-GoldenYuiitusin
-GraveEclipse567
-GreenKirby
-Grimnir
-Groose
-GTA_Hater_331
-Guybrush20X6

H
-Hank Hill
-HarryTheChin
-Headcrab Jackalope
-helmsplitter12
-Hero_42
-Hidan
-Homelessvagrant
-Hotfeet444
-HylianHeroBigBoss
-Hyper_Ridley
-Hyral

I
-I_hate_usernames
-IAm2Sarcastic4U
-iam8bit
-Iddis
-Igneous42
-IhaveSonar
-Ike the Killer
-iluvnintendo1983
-imabeast78
-Inawordyes
-Irarius
-IsmaR

J
-JavaCroc
-Jakor
-JediLink
-JhMS
-John12346
-Johnknight1

K
-Kalimdori
-Kamiko
-KankerSore
-Keeshu
-KenithTheGatherer
-Kevandre
-Kevinhend
-KidBuuEatsYou
-kikaru
-Kikwi-Kiwi
-KillerCRS
-Kind Dedede
-KingofPhantoms47
-KingShadow
-Kirbizard
-Kirbunny431
-KMAL
-Koopaul
-kylexv

L
-lanky_gunner
-LaniusShrike
-Lasifer
-LaughingLuigi
-Layupfreak
-LazerRage
-legendofrob1
-LEGOfan12
-leprechaunlink727
-Link_enfant
-LiteTheIronMan
_Little-Mac!!
-Lizardon
-LockFelino
-Lolo Lolo
-LoneR.O.B.
-Lord Danongor
-Louie G.
-Lugubrious
-LunarDistortion
-lurxy

M
-MagnesD3
-majora_787
-Malle
-Mang@Tortle
-Mansana
-MargnetMan23
-Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
-Master of Bones
-MasterofMonster
-MasterWarlord
-Meandpikachu
-Mega Bidoof
-Megadoomer
-Megalon72
-Mega Dunsparce
-Megazero64
-MelMoe
-Meta-Kraid
-MewtwoX825
-Mistermagius
-moneyfrenzy
-MonK4
-MorbidAltruism
-Mr. Mumbles
-Mr.Seven
-MischF
-MSmariosonic
-Mypantisgone
-Myuutsufan4832

N
-N3ON
-NastCF
-Ndayday
-Neanderthal
-Neighbor_Kid
-NeoRidley
-Nietona
-NickerBocker
-Nitro21
-Niko Mar
-NinthWonder
-NJ_Gamer
-NK1046
-No Control
-Norm
-Not Rick.
-NukeA6

O
-Oasis_S
-OblivionWolf
-OcarinaOfDoom
-OctiVick
-O D I N
-Olekidsf
-Omega-Smasher
-Onyx Oblivian
-Opossum
-Oracle_Summon
-oxyborb

P
-Pacack
-papagenos
-PerfectChaos9
-Phaazoid
-Phyvo
-Pieman0920
-Pikablu Pikachu
-pikachugamer21
-Pikmin1211
-pizzadudemanguy
-PokéMurio
-Poopmin
-PostmortemMessiah
-ppbto
-ProjectAngel
-Protom
-PSIguy89
-psyniac_123
-PurpleSpaceDragon

Q
-QuickLava

R
-R_Trigger
-R.O.B.
-RaccoonBL
-Radical Beam
-RadRedi
-RavenKingSage
-Reader
-Rebellious Treecko
-Redgohan147
-RegiGiygas117
-Reila
-Relax Alax
-Reznor
-Ridles the Space Pirate
-Ridley_Prime
-Ridley22
-Ridley1994
-Ridleyfighter
-Ridley won't be playable
-RODO
-RomanceDawn
-Rosalina suporter
-RoseyBetch
-Ryan.
-Ryuma

S
-Sabrewulf238
-Sahfarry
-Sazarith
-ScatmansWorld25
-Scoliosis Jones
-schniderx
-SchAlternate
-Sebz
-Sehnsucht
-SethTheMage
-Shaboba
-Shagadelic_Baby
-Shaking//very
-Shaya
-sheik93
-Shiliski
-shinpichu
-Shinru202
-Shorts
-Shotguner159
-shrooby
-Sid-cada
-Sigran101
-silver_blade001
-SinisterLizard
-skaaaa
-Skiwage
-Smash Daddy
-SmasherMaster
-Smashoperatingbuddy123
-SmashShadow
-SmilingMad
-Sobreviviente
-SolarStar
-Soupenomics
-soviet prince
-Spazzy_D
-SS-bros14
-SS-bSeven
-MischF
-Staarih
-StaffofSmashing
-Star-Lord
-Starphoenix
-Steelia
-stevenchina
-Strider_Bond00J
-StupendousMike
-Substitute
-SuperLittleTY
-SuperMasterHand
-Super Omega Meta Ridley X
-SuperSegaSonicSS
-SureNsync
-SvartWolf
-Swampasaur

T
-Taco Cruise
-TaichiYaegashi
-TBone06
-TCRhade
-TCT~Phantom
-TehEpicRyuga
-Terrazi Terrajin
-Tetra's Tracker
-TewnLeenk
-The Black mage
-TheCreator
-The Curious Volnutt
-TheDivineDeity
-T-Hell
-TheBrainJemin
-TheGalaxyKnight
-thethirdkoopa
-TheJohnMonster
-Thekewlusername
-The Legendary Beast
-The Pizza Guy
-The Real Gamer
-TheSqushiestManatee
-The Soulless One
-TheTuninator
-Therminthral
-TheWozny
-Thor_Hammerschlag
-TitanTeaTime
-ToasterBrains
-ToothiestAura
-Toxicroaker
-Tree Cat
-Trigger123
-TrueBlueHero
-TumblrFamous
-Tweezer Salad
-Typs

U
-U-Throw
-UberMadman
-UltimateWario
-Ultinarok
-UnstableBeing

V
-Vann Accessible
-VenomSymbiote
-Venus of the Desert Bloom
-vicgur
-Vintage Creep
-Volodya
-Vyzor

W
-Waluigi
-Waluigi is too big
-Waluridleykryrool
-Wariofan1
-WayfaringElf
-Wegenbarth
-Welshy91
-Wiiner159
-wildvine47
-WingedSnagret

X
-Xenoblaze
-Xenorange
-XenothiumX
-Xhampi
-Xzsmmc

Y
-Yoichi Hiruma
-Yonder
-yosharioIII
-YoshiandToad
-Young Horsetail
-Youngster Joey

Z
-Z1GMA
-ZanZero
-Zawaz132
-Zekersaurus
-Zekrom101
-Zem-raj
-Zero-X
-ZeroJinKui
-Zhadgon
-Zoroarking
-Zuba Oki
-Zynux
-Zzuxon

Numbers
-0ShadowStories
-3Bismyname
-8-bit Man
-8-peacock-8
-88Hex

Other
- ---
- _R@bid_
- 鉄腕アトム
-.Shìkì
There's always room for more!
*Last updated 6:25 AM central US time
add me to the list!

well im late to the party but i hope the Nintendo direct tomorrow announces Ridley (as well as the nintendo direct being in america also)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I'm sure NoA will come out and say something bout a direct soon, maybe a smash or general on monday. (maybea newocmer trailer for other m's anniversary) PLEASE SACK OF RICE.

Top Bottom