• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Based on their comments, I get the impression that every newcomer will get a trailer, and one before they have the chance to be "leaked" from people actually playing. I would think he'd be revealed on the eve of release, though I doubt he'd get revealed earlier.
I think there is a trailer for every newcomer - at least that's the way Sakurai made it sound - but we're probably not going to get anything impressive tomorrow. I'd wager that it'll be a reveal trailer, but for someone like Shulk who we know is in the game. The only thing we'll get from it is the HQ official render of one of the characters from the leak.

Ridley (can also substitute with 'Mewtwo' or 'K.Rool') is incredibly hyped (one of the top 5 most requested characters in the game), and somehow avoided being leaked. That means one of two things - either Sakurai has developed him in secret and safeguarded the data from being leaked in order to keep the hype going, or we're all going to go to Japan and hold his cat ransom until we get what we want.

However, with those 3 being in the top 5 most requested characters, and especially the amount of teasing Sakurai has done for Ridley, it would be stupid not to include them. Why would you want to troll your fanbase, only to leave them feeling mutinous? The reveals for any of these (or, dare I hope, all) will be on the 12th of September, at the absolute earliest. Gotta allow the hype train to pull into the station, after all.

Oh, and if there is a list of supporters, the Cap needs to be included. Although I do agree with the list on the OP.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well as someone pointed out earlier, sympathizeable villains have become a sort of cliche now, so I simply posted my manipulative take on Ridley as an alternative.
And that is still unnecessary for Ridley to have so many fans despite him being real b***ard that just likes to kill no matter who is the target (he tried to kill 3 years old Samus and killed that her mother right in front of her eyes, so, he is worse than Ganondorf). This is just amazing. Peoples like a mass murderer who kills even kids and their parents.

So, there will be a direct soon, huh? Then YES unless there is no Ridley. Meh if there is nothing interesting o. Loud NO if there is Dark Pit and/or Dr.Mario as a way to hype peoples up...even though those 2 are lame and unnecessary if they are clones. Also, if there will be Ridley...that will happen for me and most likely for you until game's release.

Nah I think genetic memory sounds kinda dumb, "I hate you SO much it's in my DNA"
Roidley was certainly intelligent and could clearly see Samus was powerful (And Looked like a giant, delicious burger)
And he used that to his advantage to get more food so he could get big and eat that delicious burger
Although his intelligence clearly deteriorated seeing as he got killed by a Queen Metroid he probably thought he could take on

I guess my take on them is

Ridley: I'm am the best and I'm going to kill everything I hate

Roidley: That looks tasty, THAT looks tasty, That. ESPECIALLY looks tasty I am going to EAT all these things and then I'm gonna get bigger and eat MORE THINGS

I have never felt closer to a clone space dragon
Its Metroid. We have Morph Balls, radioactive super drugs that can corrupt even ghosts, giant space dragons flying IN SPACE, Metroids, X-Parasites, the Ing(s?), etc. It makes sense. It is more like "I hate you for ruining my life, nearly killing me 5 times, interfering in my plans many times, killing my crew and for wearing that stupid suit with those f***ing large shoulder balls! You must DIE!" than "I just hate you because its in my DNA" or something like that.
He couldn't escape from Queen Metroid - room was locked and he was injured enough to be unable to do much other than maybe roar. He didn't tried to even attack "her".
His intelligence is displayed by other things. I already posted that in a large post, but i will do that again:
  1. He lured scientists into his cage by..."playing dead" or whatever its called. Those scientists fed him and cared for him before that, so, it is illogical to kill free source of food since he will have to find food by himself then and it is not that easy on a ship full of bioweapons.
  2. He used Samus as a way to get food without seeing her killing stuff to make it easier to get food to grow up and then try to kill Samus once again. She was less dangerous than half of the stuff on that ship at that time, but she had skills. He couldn't knew that without knowing her. You may not count that point if you want.
  3. He used other creatures as a distraction for the squad while he attacked Samus in such way that would limit her mobility. If he would attack the biggest/most dangerous/whatever treat, then he would attack Anthony instead, who looks a lot bulkier than Samus. You would never say that tiger looks less dangerous than a cassowary (australian bird-raptor thing that can kill you in 1 kick with its long sharp claw, kinda like everything else from australia), right?
  4. He destroyed the bridge on GPP so no one would escape.
  5. He attacked Samus while she couldn't see him clearly before she destroyed...that thing.
Maybe i forgot something. This is all i remember.
Anyone else see the commercial/advert for Toy Story : That Time Forgot?

Looks like Ridley is trying to start an acting career, good for him!

Seriously though it's really funny how much this character (who is called Cleric) looks like an old man Ridley with no wings.

Like....it's scary how much likeness there is to Ridley, especially the head and neck, even the color of his skin and eyes!
Yeah. It is totaly Ridley. I want to finally hear his voice. If he isn't credited as "Ridley", then this is just his code-name. It seriously looks like Ridley without wings. He is hunched, he "holds" his arms in the same way as Ridley, he has same "beak", he is PURPLE...now i must watch it.
^u^ Thank you, Bagan! but....what is supposed to be "share" on THAT game.....? that face gives me a bad feeling....
Basicly kissing while sharing food with other character to give him some health. Just look at Brainscratchcomms videos of it and you will see what it is. Right in the 1st part and after that, so, you won't have to search for it too much. Or just search for any gameplay of it that includes more than 1 player.
More detailed description:
First, both characters hug each other, their faces facing each other. Then, they open their mouths. Character that got the food vomits/pukes it out as an unholy chewed mass of something. Other character then eats this abomination, gaining some health. Then, they release each other and continue doing what they did, promising to never tell anyone about that or even remembering about that.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I was thinking.. What if Ridley and/or the Hype 3 are blocked in the 3ds until the U comes out, and like a week before that they show us their trailer. It could happen :/

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I was thinking.. What if Ridley and/or the Hype 3 are blocked in the 3ds until the U comes out, and like a week before that they show us their trailer. It could happen :/
while I knew nintendo could do this and hope that it stays secret, it will still be "revealed" anyway, people now usuallly takes looks at the coding of teh games to search for hidden stuff, thats how we knew for example that Chandelure in 5th gen had the dream world abbility of shadow tag, even if it was never released and in 6th gen it was changed to infiltrator. (i believe that meloetta and Gensect were discovered in similar ways)

What I can see, although very unlikely, is developing a couple of characters along Wiiu and teh day the wiiU version comes out, make a mandatory free DLC for the 3ds version that updates teh roster. Still it's incedible unlikely though.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still don't see them showing more than one newcomer in a single trailer. Doesn't make sense unless there's a clone. So maybe a jr/doc video, but not a Ridley/other newcomer video. I could see him getting shown off with Falco, though.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Anyone else see the commercial/advert for Toy Story : That Time Forgot?

Looks like Ridley is trying to start an acting career, good for him!

Seriously though it's really funny how much this character (who is called Cleric) looks like an old man Ridley with no wings.

Like....it's scary how much likeness there is to Ridley, especially the head and neck, even the color of his skin and eyes!
And it tendecy for having missing body parts replaced with mechanical ones...

I still don't see them showing more than one newcomer in a single trailer. Doesn't make sense unless there's a clone. So maybe a jr/doc video, but not a Ridley/other newcomer video. I could see him getting shown off with Falco, though.
Bowser Jr would work with Dr.Mario so I do see that happening. Ridley should be announced with Mewtwo for maximum hypage (totally didn't make up that word) but he'll probably be announced with Ness or Falco (wish it was Wolf :crying:).

I think Dark Pit might be a secret character because he was technically revealed in a mysterious way in the Palutena reveal. I just don't see the point in making another Kid Icarus reveal for one character that might be a clone.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Basicly kissing while sharing food with other character to give him some health. Just look at Brainscratchcomms videos of it and you will see what it is. Right in the 1st part and after that, so, you won't have to search for it too much. Or just search for any gameplay of it that includes more than 1 player.
More detailed description:
First, both characters hug each other, their faces facing each other. Then, they open their mouths. Character that got the food vomits/pukes it out as an unholy chewed mass of something. Other character then eats this abomination, gaining some health. Then, they release each other and continue doing what they did, promising to never tell anyone about that or even remembering about that.
Uh....I think I got traumatized because of that.....thank you...sigh....I will see if I can draw or at least eat something now.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they'd do this because that would leave All Star mode locked for months until the Wii U Smash, and require people to buy or download an update. Sakurai seems like the type to not even think about DLC until after both versions are out in the wild, and certainly not the type to add a menu to the game and lock it and keep people from using it or potential other characters until they go buy more things. Just not his style.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ha! And you are going to stop me with what? You can't, you simply can't and that is the end of it. My plan of messing with everyone and making them hideously uncomfortable is already set in motion. Cower in fear as I shall commence creating a most horrible and repulsive piece of media!

You will not like it!

I don't think they'd do this because that would leave All Star mode locked for months until the Wii U Smash, and require people to buy or download an update. Sakurai seems like the type to not even think about DLC until after both versions are out in the wild, and certainly not the type to add a menu to the game and lock it and keep people from using it or potential other characters until they go buy more things. Just not his style.
Yeah, nothing to worry about in terms of them withholding any characters. It seems very un-Nintendo like, and much more EA-esque. They just ain't got no style.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
So Nintendo direct tomorrow. If they don't show off Ridley, do you think that kills his chances? Would they stay as they are now? I'm getting antsy.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So Nintendo direct tomorrow. If they don't show off Ridley, do you think that kills his chances? Would they stay as they are now? I'm getting antsy.
No. Only Ridley boss can. Ridley boss that is actually shown in action like Yellow Devil.
Uh....I think I got traumatized because of that.....thank you...sigh....I will see if I can draw or at least eat something now.
Want less disturbing/disgusting/horrible/NSFW ideas?

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Waiting for the update, I do hope they'll have Ridley's theme this time.
EDIT: for christs sake dont let this be the one day that you are NOT going to add music

Well, due to the differences in proportions between Roidley and pretty much every other Ridley incarnation, making him swappable would mean making two different bosses. Not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.
Well to be fair, Alfanzo is much taller than Spirit Tracks Link.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well to be fair, Alfanzo is much taller than Spirit Tracks Link.
But he is just part of the background. He has only few animations or even 1 animation, so, its a lot easier to do. Any Ridley that isn't Roidley won't be able to easily replace Roidley as a stage hazard because they are more than a part of the background. A LOT more. They can attack, get hit, move, etc. So, it requires a lot more work and since Roidley has unique proportions compared to other Ridleys...well, you know.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
My hope for Ridleh is decreasing by the day tbh. I don't know why. It's just... In the brawl days my dreams were crushed and look at this bull**** atm. It's been a long time man......

;_;

Ragna22

Smash Ace
But he is just part of the background. He has only few animations or even 1 animation, so, its a lot easier to do. Any Ridley that isn't Roidley won't be able to easily replace Roidley as a stage hazard because they are more than a part of the background. A LOT more. They can attack, get hit, move, etc. So, it requires a lot more work and since Roidley has unique proportions compared to other Ridleys...well, you know.
In that case then why not have the original skin and bones Ridley playable? I mean granted Samus is in her Other M pwer suit but ZSS is more of a hybrid between her Zero Mission design and her Other M design.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's been almost 3 hours since the Direct announcement, and an international update would've been given already. Even if there is Smash news, it in all likelihood won't contain a newcomer trailer since those never happen for region-specific events, and even if there is a newcomer, I guarantee it won't be Ridley since his following is mostly Western and this Direct is gearing entirely on the Japanese front.

In short, more waiting for us.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
My hope for Ridleh is decreasing by the day tbh. I don't know why. It's just... In the brawl days my dreams were crushed and look at this bull**** atm. It's been a long time man......

;_;
Didn't Sakurai state that he hates creating false hype? All this hoopla for a boss character would be a fairly odd move to me.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Didn't Sakurai state that he hates creating false hype? All this hoopla for a boss character would be a fairly odd move to me.
Where did he say that? Because that's about all he's doing now.

Unless, of course, it's not false hype, it's real and he's just dragging it out painfully long. Inb4 Big 3 trailer on 12 September!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In that case then why not have the original skin and bones Ridley playable? I mean granted Samus is in her Other M pwer suit but ZSS is more of a hybrid between her Zero Mission design and her Other M design.
Because every other thing that appeared in Other M is based off Other M designs in SSB4. It would make no sense, like if WW Ganondorf would be playable instead of TP (kinda) Ganondorf in this game. We could still get something similar to original Ridley, but he will still look like and be Roidley.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It'll stay the same for Ridley. Hell since it's a 3DS Direct in only Japan, no one thinks it'll show off Smash. It still could, but I doubt that a bit myself.

So the only thing that'd change is if he was shown as a boss or assist trophy or something else other than playable.

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Unless, of course, it's not false hype, it's real and he's just dragging it out painfully long. Inb4 Big 3 trailer on 12 September!
He's most likely just dragging it out painfully long. Sakurai may be a troll, but I don't think he is a m*ron.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Because every other thing that appeared in Other M is based off Other M designs in SSB4. It would make no sense, like if WW Ganondorf would be playable instead of TP (kinda) Ganondorf in this game. We could still get something similar to original Ridley, but he will still look like and be Roidley.
Well we'll just see what ends up happening then.

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

I believe it was sometime after Brawl's release. I could be wrong and talking out my arse, or I could just be extremely forgetful. Both happen frequently ;n;

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Untitled.png

Ok....since I think I will stop the Ridley and Roidley antics for a little while...I will try to work with my other dearest concept that is my Catrin Ridley....I will see if I can find a way to refine that rough sketch and actually add some color....

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
He's most likely just dragging it out painfully long. Sakurai may be a troll, but I don't think he is a m*ron.
if ridley isnt playable, and that stuff mentioned before is true... then yeah... he is a moron.

it would be the only explanation.

where did people hear about this direct, anyway? when is it supposed to happen?

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
if ridley isnt playable, and that stuff mentioned before is true... then yeah... he is a moron.

it would be the only explanation.

where did people hear about this direct, anyway? when is it supposed to happen?
I think it's tomorrow, and was first announced on the Nintendo of Japan's twitter. Clarification needed.

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
While having lunch I kind of realized. Regardless of if there's any newcomer reveal trailers tomorrow, whenever there is one it may help Ridleys chances. If it's something like Mewtwo or Impa? It'd mean Ridley not being on that roster shot doesn't mean he's not playable, and could be unlockable. So if whenever the next newcomer trailer shows up, if it has something we haven't seen yet his chances go up. If something we have, chances stay the same. There's only one real way to kill his chances at this point, which with how they've handled him would seem... weird to me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Top Bottom