• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I just need to remind everyone here of how much hype he caused when people saw him in the Melee Intro at E3.

All of that is for Ridley. All of it. And then everyone was let down.
And that, ladies and gentlepirates, was the start of an adventure. Those few seconds of footage made a spark in our minds. The spark became a flame, and the flame became a raging firestorm, a burning desire for a something, no, a SOMEONE. It marked the start of a neverending struggle, against zealous nonbelievers denying our chances at every opportunity, and against the disappointments and shame when those filthy buggers turned out to be right. It utterly devastated us. It left us wounded and weak. But just like the cunning god we idolize, we rose from the ashes after our defeat.
And here we are. We've come so far, despite even fate itself opposing the will of the cunning god of death. We will not fail. WE CAN NOT FAIL! WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS!

And there is my siggy completely ruining the atmosphere I created. For christs sake Ridley calm down, have some patience.

Last edited:

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
just thought of a trailer for ridley's reveal instead of a villains trailer. He might be confirmed with wolf fighting him in space in his arwing, then out of nowhere you hear, "hands off my prey" and they announce falco as well.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
And that, ladies and gentlepirates, was the start of an adventure. Those few seconds of footage made a spark in our minds. The spark became a flame, and the flame became a raging firestorm, a burning desire for a something, no, a SOMEONE. It marked the start of a neverending struggle, against zealous nonbelievers denying our chances at every opportunity, and against the disappointments and shame when those filthy buggers turned out to be right. It utterly devastated us. It left us wounded and weak. But just like the cunning god we idolize, we rose from the ashes after our defeat.
And here we are. We've come so far, despite even fate itself opposing the will of the cunning god of death. We will not fail. WE CAN NOT FAIL! WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS!

And there is my siggy completely ruining the atmosphere I created. For christs sake Ridley calm down, have some patience.
Sounds like the opening of a Lord of the Rings movie. XD

I just need to remind everyone here of how much hype he caused when people saw him in the Melee Intro at E3.

I dids not hear anything when samus showed up, only Rodlie
Actually they were cheering for Metroid in general, here's the original video and skip to 3:03 they go nuts for Samus:

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if they thought Ridley might be a character.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
The point is, it was a start of an era. You got the idea. Yes, it was Samus too, but a ton of people thought Ridley was in. I don't have video evidence right now, but people were saying "Ridley's playable, too" after that.

People thought Ridley would be playable because, to that point in the intro, every character shown was playable. People probably thought that Wolf was playable, too (I wouldn't know, I wasn't there). Pokemon was where that streak ended, though. Nobody imagined that many Pokemon to be playable. When Ridley wasn't shown at towards the end, people got suspicious.

Nonetheless, you all got the point. Ridley = fan hype. I hear there's a thread that has 1651 pages proving that Ridley = Hype somewhere. Wonder where that is?

If you were sitting there, you might have thought the same thing. He was the perfect size and was thrown in the same cinematic as other playable characters. Not to mention that a ton of franchises seemed to be getting new characters, why would Metroid have been any different?

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I always just assumed that audience was filled with Metroid fans, I never thought that those people were cheering for Ridley. Very interesting.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice

Not sure if all of that is for Ridley, but that still an incredible video.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I find it really biased that people actually think Ridley was the cause for the hype in that Melee reaction.
Metroid hadn't seen a game since Super Metroid, and back then no one was even sure if they would do another Smah Bros. game, let alone think Ridley had a chance of being in it.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Guys, guys. If the reveal trailers always associating with Smash Bros 64 veterans is true, then there's only one person who could be paired up with our glorious leader.

:039:

Seriously. Jigglypuff is a fairy type now, and we all know that fairies were created to take dragons down a peg.

The way I see the trailer, is Samus walking into a dark room, there's a pokeball looking canister in the center. She walks forward, and orange eyes glare at her from the darkness Ridley lunges forward screaming, "RIDLEY MAKES HIS BIG DEBUT!" Appears. We're treated to glorous footage of the two fighting, showing off Ridley's moves. Then animation again, Samus shoots the capsule, a pokeball beam of light emerges, and Jigglypuff appears! Samus and Ridley both stare at her in stunned silence. Then, without warning, she jumps up and starts pummeling Ridley, with "JIGGLYPUFF COMES TO PLAY ROUGH!" appearing. Cue some footage of Jigglypuff working together with Samus to trounce Ridley in the air, his own element. Finally, Ridley uses his Final Smash to finish the trailer.

It's no villain trailer, but I could get behind it.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
...I seriously wish I could dislike posts after that stupid creampuff came up again. :facepalm:

The only Pokémon worthy to match our Commander is Mewtwo. No inane pink blobs will share our Commander's limelight except to be viciously brutalized and, hopefully, disconfirmed. :grrr:

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
...I seriously wish I could dislike posts after that stupid creampuff came up again. :facepalm:

The only Pokémon worthy to match our Commander is Mewtwo. No inane pink blobs will share our Commander's limelight except to be viciously brutalized and, hopefully, disconfirmed. :grrr:
Be honest with yourself, a Jigglypuff/Ridley trailer would be the greatest.

I find it really biased and dumb that people actually think Ridley was the cause for the hype in that Melee reaction.
Metroid hadn't seen a game since Super Metroid, and back then no one was even sure if they would do another Smah Bros. game, let alone think Ridley had a chance of being in it.
I agree, that is the reason they cheered, but try not to call people dumb. It's rude.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Provided that "Jigglypuff/Ridley" means "Jigglypuff is viciously beaten and eliminated by Ridley with prejudice," yes.
More as in Jigglypuff beating the hell out of the entire cast, only for Ridley to come and match it's strenght, proceeding to an epic battle.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I'm pretty sure the only reason the site doesn't have a dislike button is the same reason YouTube doesn't count comment dislikes.

I don't see Jigglypuff being cut (O12), but it needs to change a bit. Other than that, I'd find it quite funny if Jigglypuff and Ridley were in a trailer together. Just think of all of the pictures and memes that would sprout from that. It would be my favorite trailer by far if that happens.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Dude, Jigglypuff has been around since the beginning and is representative of a new Pokemon mechanic. There's no way she's not still in.

You're starting to sound like a Ridley hater.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
This would be why Jigglypuff needs to die. So that this entire argument can die with her. I'd pick on someone else for it, but I'd miss the creampuff least.
...Why? I don't get it. What argument needs to die?

Also, I know several people who would be distraught if Jiggly got cut, so your opinion isn't the only one that matters here.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
People, please! Ridley and Jigglypuff are comrades, not enemies! After all, they are both ferocious airborne warriors. I can't wait for the trailer, showing Jigs and Rids exchanging war tactics and strategies while planning on how to take the hunter down.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
...Why? I don't get it. What argument needs to die?
This "O12" horsecrap.

Also, I know several people who would be distraught if Jiggly got cut, so your opinion isn't the only one that matters here.
Good thing I'm open-minded, then. IF the creampuff is to exist, then I want it to be as a punching bag. And, fortunately, IF it's still playable, I can ignore it beyond that. I win regardless. :evil:

BUT, this is off-topic. We're talking about a trailer that should emphasize Our Glorious Commander's might. No type matchup can exist, so the creampuff must be beaten senseless. I am in favor of some combination of Ness, Link and Samus, possibly alongside returning Ganondorf and/or Mewtwo, having to put their existing battle on hold whilst Ridley tears through their ranks like a demon straight from the deepest pits. :demon:

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'd love to see Ridley roast Jigglypuff and then have a good laughing session with Mewtwo as they talk about how much they love S'mores. :awesome:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
*Casually Sits here thinking Pokemon is Good with four, and Mewtwo can just go back to His Cave because we already have too much Gen 1*

Ridley would be good Reveled With anyone, Ridley/Ness&Lucas, Ridley/Wolf&Falco, Ridley/Jiggs&Ice Climbers. Any of them would great, just as long as Ridley is one of the fighter reavealed.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just beat Metroid Prime 1 on my PC with the gamecube emulator. Used my wired 360 controller for the whole thing.

Kinda forgot how easy Meta-Ridley was to beat in this game, he didn't even take a full energy tank off of me. The Metroid Prime took like 5 or 6 in comparison.

I'd play through Metroid Prime 2 next, but Ridley isn't actually in that one, and I've beaten it before (although I had beaten Prime 1 before as well)

I think I'll move onto Path of Radiance, then Prime 2. Unless of course Smash comes out by the time I finish xD

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
If it isn't announced tomorrow, then you're wrong, I'm calling it
Directs are usually announced the day beforehand.

I think it makes more sense to have Ness up against Mewtwo, since Mewtwo looks so much like Giygas does...
Plus, they're both psychic.
Ness and Ridley because Metroid Prime 3 and Earthbound share an anniversary

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
I think it makes more sense to have Ness up against Mewtwo, since Mewtwo looks so much like Giygas does...
Plus, they're both psychic.
As I said. Start with Ness v. Mewtwo, or Link v. Ganondorf, maybe both. As far from a Metroid stage as possible. Samus cuts in after a bit, then... a column of fire roars up and looms over the edge of the stage, and Ridley lunges from the flames to rip into the gathered fighters!

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Directs are usually announced the day beforehand.

Ness and Ridley because Metroid Prime 3 and Earthbound share an anniversary
I personally don't see a general direct coming, there wouldn't be much info on new games besides Smash bros and the only ties I could see how it works is if more Earthbound games are released via Virtual console or remake AND info on the new metroid games, but I don't think they have gotten enough into development if any to have info on Metroid

Top Bottom