• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
my friend told me that since ridley could fly and has attacks that are strong, he would be OP. i told him that sakurai and his team can balance the game. he told me that they cant balance it just for him (i face palmed when he said that) and then i told him that if smash wasnt balanced we would have samus unstoppable, pit as a god, wft useless, falcon always being in a car, and so on. greatest victory at my lunch table ever
Tell your friend to say hi to :ganondorf: and :4palutena:/:rosalina:.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
He lost that privilege when he resorted to ad hominem against someone who didn't deserve it.
That's fair, but I'll tell you that someone's trying to redeem themselves and put together well thought out thoughts. You should give someone a second chance, you'll find it easier to counter points later on. I'm not saying what he said was right (because it damn sure wasn't), just he could read the thing you said.

Well, if it wasn't the fact he insulted and harassed a fellow supporter here of being mentally challenged earlier, he wouldn't be getting the cold shoulder treatment.
I know, I was there. That's nothing to block someone for.

Second chances, ever heard of them?

Seriously, if I was acting like all of you are, I would've left a long time ago.

What he did wasn't right, but things happen. Like you've never slipped up in your life. Don't say it wasn't a slip up, because you don't know that. I can't even put into words how you're acting right now. Someone comes in and states their opinion, you all jump over them, they get frustrated and say something, you all block them. Because logic.

He did something wrong, I get it, but you're acting like this is something new to the internet. It isn't. The way you're acting makes it look like you've never been on YouTube or any other website before. You all need to calm down.

You can be mad, but you don't need to blatantly insult the detractors.

If you have any problems, PM me, this doesn't belong on this thread.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
By the way, I thought I saw somewhere on this thread that Dark Pit had been confirmed as a Stage Boss on Palutena's Temple. Is that true?

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
By the way, I thought I saw somewhere on this thread that Dark Pit had been confirmed as a Stage Boss on Palutena's Temple. Is that true?
something about hidden text in purple in the direct talking about a stage boss in the temple. thats all we know i believe

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Oh... EVERYONE STOP POSTING! :laugh:
But seriously though, we're at like 1640 pages, and the game comes in like 3 weeks. I doubt we'll get to 2000 pages soon.

U sure m8. Last time I checked, we hit 1500 pages... two/three weeks ago. 142 pages since then seems quick to me.

Edit:

That's fair, but I'll tell you that someone's trying to redeem themselves and put together well thought out thoughts. You should give someone a second chance, you'll find it easier to counter points later on. I'm not saying what he said was right (because it damn sure wasn't), just he could read the thing you said.

Seriously, if I was acting like all of you are, I would've left a long time ago.

What he did wasn't right, but things happen. Like you've never slipped up in your life. Don't say it wasn't a slip up, because you don't know that. I can't even put into words how you're acting right now. Someone comes in and states their opinion, you all jump over them, they get frustrated and say something, you all block them. Because logic.

He did something wrong, I get it, but you're acting like this is something new to the internet. It isn't. The way you're acting makes it look like you've never been on YouTube or any other website before. You all need to calm down.

I have no gripe with that person, It was just because the arguments going back and forth was causing everyone to be off-topic. IsmaR and other mods said not to go off-topic, not even a little. That's why I muted him, not because he was annoying or me getting mad. I could care less about that. In fact, he was the first person I ever muted. Again, not because of pointless frustration or anything, but just for the thread to get back on topic.

If he's being civil now, good for him. But I've said what I think about Ridley's inclusion and he doesn't agree. I can't give anything else to him to convince him otherwise, cause what I believe in is good enough for me.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Guys
I know this is a popular topic
but let's slow down a bit...
We're at 1642 Pages, after all.
2000 is a Big Number, but we don't wanna go there just yet.
I think we should try to get real close to 2000 before the game comes out, at least the ****storm is going to be short-lived if he is a stage hazard :awesome:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I see. Anyways... Back to Ridley before we get IsmaR'd.

Yeah, this thread has been going strong since 2012 - It's amazing that we haven't reached that number yet, but be careful.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
something about hidden text in purple in the direct talking about a stage boss in the temple. thats all we know i believe
use an = after [spoiler and you can then put text in the bar. Just a tip :)

does it still happen? or did it stop? and if it does happen will someone have to make a new thread?
It still happens, but if we do hit that before September 13, we'll simply have to make a new thread. I want to get the second post copied into a .txt file for that (even thought nobody will want it, it's for memory).

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535

Just a quick note, apparently that was the second time he came and insulted a supporter, from what I heard.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
use an = after [spoiler and you can then put text in the bar. Just a tip :)

It still happens, but if we do hit that before September 13, we'll simply have to make a new thread. I want to get the second post copied into a .txt file for that (even thought nobody will want it, it's for memory).
thanks for the tip

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Just a quick note, apparently that was the second time he came and insulted a supporter, from what I heard.
Oh, I wasn't here for the first time. I was just reading around the time, so I don't know if he got off or not. Oops.

...the song doesn't work if it's the third chance...we must pretend it's the second chance...

CCD23

Smash Cadet
You have the biggest point I have seen so far
CCD23 speaks very much the truth.

Seriously, that was one of the best and most well thought out arguments I have ever seen. Well done, you have my respect forever.
I've always shared this line of thought, but haven't been able to put it into words as well as you have just now :laugh:
That's one of the best reasons I've ever heard for why Ridley should come.
Anyway, welcome to Smashboards!
(Promise me you won't drink the water :laugh: )
Thank you, you guys. I appreciate this very much. :) I spent over an hour composing that post to make sure I was clear on what I was trying to say, and I'm glad to see that so many people agree! :) I just came back from shopping and cooking my supper and I am glad to see my post generated so many positive responses.

To follow up on CCD23´s sales argument:

If Ridley (my absolute favorite Nintendo character, Ive been a fan of him for many many years) will be playable or not will infact be the deciding factor for me, regarding if I will pick up a console only to play Smash 4 (be it Wii U or 3Ds). Right now, I dont really see much reason to pick up Smash 4, because first of all, I think most of the other newcomers are very uninteresting, expecially compared to what Brawl has to offer, and that I play Brawl on a PC with mods, meaning I basically have every character I could possibly want, including (a rather lackluster) Ridley, in Brawl already.

So unless Ridley is playable, I wont pick up Smash 4 at all and at most will play it in a decade when an emulator can run it properly. If Ridley is playable, I will considere getting a Wii U only for Smash 4.
I see, wow. You are a perfect example of what I was trying to imply would happen with Smash 4 sales with a small number of people if Ridley isn't included. I mean at this point it's just simply nonsensical for him to not be playable.

As for me, some of the newcomers I'm not interested in that much, some I am neutral on and others I am excited for, but Ridley seems like such an obvious choice for a newcomer that I will be heavily disappointed in Nintendo if he's not playable. I already have a Wii U and will still be purchasing Smash 4 as well as a 3DS for the 3DS version sometime next month regardless, since I still think both games will be very good, but still... I can definitely understand your sentiment. Excluding Ridley for the THIRD time in a row would just be a kick in the cajones for the Metroid fans who are also Smashers. So if he's not included, it will definitely be somewhat of a hype killer for me... but if he is confirmed before or after the Japanese 3DS release, I'll be so hyped I'll be bouncing off the walls, especially for the Wii U version.

Good point.

However last time (brawl) i made exactly the same point here in the forum.
But still the roster failed hard.

Lets see, maybe this time the roster holds something big enough interesting ..
Hmm, so you had similar thoughts about Ridley in Brawl too, huh? That doesn't bode well, but hopefully if Sakurai tries anything funny with Ridley this time, Nintendo will set him straight, like I mentioned. (I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I don't trust Sakurai 100%, even though I deeply respect him as game designer.) Actually, this brings up something I wanted to mention in my first post, but didn't to make the post flow better.

In Brawl, Sakurai made Assist Trophies out of less-requested characters. Little Mac was an Assist Trophy and who's on the roster now? :4littlemac:Also in Brawl, Ridley was apparently planned to be an Assist Trophy but was changed to be a boss (recurring TWO times!) in Subspace Emissary. So, other than him being changed to a boss, I'm hoping he will follow in Little Mac's footsteps and be playable. (It really is kind of funny how much in common Ridley has with Little Mac.)

As many have already said, this is an excellent and well put together post. So, kudos.

One additional thing worth mentioning that you briefly touched on is how Sakurai and Nintendo have been very clear about disconfirming characters. Obviously, they went out of their way to clarify that Chrom was not playable after Robin's trailer, and so far pretty much every disconfirmation has been pretty clear and to the point. That is, except for Ridley, who has been teased for over a year now with no official word on what his role in the game is. As such, many still hold hope that he will be playable. So not only would not making Ridley playable be an unwise decision simply because of who Ridley is, but also because they've been building up Ridley's appearance in this game for so long now, to the point where it demands a huge payoff. A simple boss is not the kind of payoff they need, and would result in a year's worth of build-up being near worthless. It is such an unwise decision on so many levels, that one has to wonder if they would really make such a poor decision to begin with.
Thank you! :)

And yes, the other side with this Ridley situation is the craziness of teasing a well requested character in the ways he was teased in while being drug out for more than a year. I certainly agree with all of your points! Adding all of that on top of the points I made earlier would certainly make Ridley's exclusion (let alone some annoying stage hazard) a very poor decision and a very bad payoff after all of this festering speculation! I've been sort of keeping a "distant eye" on the Ridley speculation for the past six months now and I can tell that people are getting burned out from all of the information-less speculation to the point they don't care anymore and are "hyped out" so to speak, which I doubt is something Nintendo wants. Now, I know there are obsessive people out there (Believe me, I know. I've been on the Internet since dial-up days...) but there comes a point when it becomes ridiculous. Then if Ridley turns out to be a stage hazard on top of it... :urg: But I hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to let that happen.

Oh my, I've never looked at Ridley from much of a business perspective (which is weird because I always talk about helping Wii U sales). This is incredibly well put together, and I congratulate you for it. The points all fit together perfectly. This is possibly one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of Ridley, and you managed to explain it amazingly.

When you really look back on it, the majority of the newcomers this time around are due to fan demand: :4palutena:,:4littlemac:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4wiifit:,:4mii:,:4villager:, and more. Ridley is the main want of so many fans. From pros like M2K to places like ScrewAttack (I do have proof of these people saying they want Ridley in SSB4).

So, yeah, well done. Great post. I hope you get to post here more often. :)
Thank you for the positive feedback, I appreciate it! I don't have a whole lot of time to post (currently going through a career change), and honestly, sometimes I feel like I don't have a lot to add simply because Ridley has constantly been in an information drought other than those two teases. (And this thread moves so damn fast.) But when I do post I try to make it count. :bee:

But yes, at the end of the day, the purpose of a company (Nintendo or whoever) is to sell products, make money and increase number of sales. It doesn't really benefit a company to try and buck their market by stubbornly ignoring what their repeat customers are asking for. Many Smash and Metroid fans alike are asking for Ridley, so... We'll see what happens. Unfortunately, Nintendo has definitely not been the best when it comes to understanding their own market, but it seems they're trying to turn it around with Smash 4. Here's hoping for the best! :bluejump:

WiiU sale sucks?

:troll:
Hahaha, very nice! My first post explained in two simple pictures. :yeahboi:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, you guys. I appreciate this very much. :) I spent over an hour composing that post to make sure I was clear on what I was trying to say, and I'm glad to see that so many people agree! :) I just came back from shopping and cooking my supper and I am glad to see my post generated so many positive responses.

I see, wow. You are a perfect example of what I was trying to imply would happen with Smash 4 sales with a small number of people if Ridley isn't included. I mean at this point it's just simply nonsensical for him to not be playable.

As for me, some of the newcomers I'm not interested in that much, some I am neutral on and others I am excited for, but Ridley seems like such an obvious choice for a newcomer that I will be heavily disappointed in Nintendo if he's not playable. I already have a Wii U and will still be purchasing Smash 4 as well as a 3DS for the 3DS version sometime next month regardless, since I still think both games will be very good, but still... I can definitely understand your sentiment. Excluding Ridley for the THIRD time in a row would just be a kick in the cajones for the Metroid fans who are also Smashers. So if he's not included, it will definitely be somewhat of a hype killer for me... but if he is confirmed before or after the Japanese 3DS release, I'll be so hyped I'll be bouncing off the walls, especially for the Wii U version.

Hmm, so you had similar thoughts about Ridley in Brawl too, huh? That doesn't bode well, but hopefully if Sakurai tries anything funny with Ridley this time, Nintendo will set him straight, like I mentioned. (I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but I don't trust Sakurai 100%, even though I deeply respect him as game designer.) Actually, this brings up something I wanted to mention in my first post, but didn't to make the post flow better.

In Brawl, Sakurai made Assist Trophies out of less-requested characters. Little Mac was an Assist Trophy and who's on the roster now? :4littlemac:Also in Brawl, Ridley was apparently planned to be an Assist Trophy but was changed to be a boss (recurring TWO times!) in Subspace Emissary. So, other than him being changed to a boss, I'm hoping he will follow in Little Mac's footsteps and be playable. (It really is kind of funny how much in common Ridley has with Little Mac.)

And yes, the other side with this Ridley situation is the craziness of teasing a well requested character in the ways he was teased in while being drug out for more than a year. I certainly agree with all of your points! Adding all of that on top of the points I made earlier would certainly make Ridley's exclusion (let alone some annoying stage hazard) a very poor decision and a very bad payoff after all of this festering speculation! I've been sort of keeping a "distant eye" on the Ridley speculation for the past six months now and I can tell that people are getting burned out from all of the information-less speculation to the point they don't care anymore and are "hyped out" so to speak, which I doubt is something Nintendo wants. Now, I know there are obsessive people out there (Believe me, I know. I've been on the Internet since dial-up days...) but there comes a point when it becomes ridiculous. Then if Ridley turns out to be a stage hazard on top of it... :urg: But I hope Nintendo isn't dumb enough to let that happen.

Thank you for the positive feedback, I appreciate it! I don't have a whole lot of time to post (currently going through a career change), and honestly, sometimes I feel like I don't have a lot to add simply because Ridley has constantly been in an information drought other than those two teases. (And this thread moves so damn fast.) But when I do post I try to make it count. :bee:

But yes, at the end of the day, the purpose of a company (Nintendo or whoever) is to sell products, make money and increase number of sales. It doesn't really benefit a company to try and buck their market by stubbornly ignoring what their repeat customers are asking for. Many Smash and Metroid fans alike are asking for Ridley, so... We'll see what happens. Unfortunately, Nintendo has definitely not been the best when it comes to understanding their own market, but it seems they're trying to turn it around with Smash 4. Here's hoping for the best! :bluejump:

Yes where happy to support

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

I think we should add CCD23's argument to the OP, If it's OK to do so. Anyone else agree?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

It's true that much of what makes Ridley an excellent character choice for Smash now could have applied to Brawl as well. Clearly, things didn't end well that time, and perhaps Ridley should have been included in that game. However, I believe this is where my point comes into play. Demand for Ridley has reached an all-time high, and unlike in Brawl, Sakurai has been teasing us with Ridley, putting him in plain sight yet keeping him far out of view. I think there is no way Sakurai is unaware of Ridley's popularity, demand, and controversy, so the fact that he's toying with us using such a popular character leads me to believe that there is more to this whole thing than meets the eye.

Basically, this isn't Brawl; the situation is different, and there is more reason to include Ridley and more evidence suggesting that he's in (plus there's no Subspace Emissary taking up an unnecessary amount of development time).

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
We're nearing the end of august no news of a direct or Robin/Lucina trailer. Nintendo pls. Look it doesn't even have to be Ridley just give me anyone. I'LL TAKE DUCK HUNT DOG OR EVEN DR. MARIO JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
We're nearing the end of august no news of a direct or Robin/Lucina trailer. Nintendo pls. Look it doesn't even have to be Ridley just give me anyone. I'LL TAKE DUCK HUNT DOG OR EVEN DR. MARIO JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING
Hey, hey, HEY! No need to get that desperate, now they'll never show anything!

Top Bottom