• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
@Zipzo You know, I'll be honest, it's actually really nice to see a detractor that is actually being logical and unbiased every now and then.

Kind of a shame most people here tend to have a rather dumb attitude when it comes to replying to you, since, like with the "too big" crew on the opposing side, it kinda stains our name as supporters.

... Although, I still have to point out a few things, so I'll be replying soon after. Dat wall of text.

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
@Zipzo You know, I'll be honest, it's actually really nice to see a detractor that is actually being logical and unbiased every now and then.

Kind of a shame most people here tend to have a rather dumb attitude when it comes to replying to you, since, like with the "too big" crew on the opposing side, it kinda stains our name as supporters.

... Although, I still have to point out a few things, so I'll be replying soon after.
Well get started

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Oh, I see, is this the guy we all decided to shun after he resorted to claiming Nera had a mental disorder to support his own arguments? Someone who wasn't rational enough to put him on Ignore, tell him to GTFO.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
"Ridley's desgin is too scary and imposing to be a playable character"

Someone literally used that argument at Gamefaqs.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
After hours of deliberation and research on this topic (procrastination ftw), my conclusion is: real.

1) The massive amount of energy expended from Reddit, SmashBoards, GameFaqs, and beyond has yet to find comps for these renders, and they're seamless with the rest of the characters.
2) Multiple leakers from various websites and timeframes leaking the same data.
3) Corroborating screens from Famitsu (for the Tomodachi level) and GameSpot (for the color swap on Fox's background image), along with new angles on the level--too hard for so many coincidences to happen at once.
4) Pixel discrepancy on character select matches pixel discrepancies in the E3 demo. It would be hard for a currency counterfeiter with a lot more to gain to be able to surmise that level of detail, let alone go through the effort to recreate it.
5) Sakurai has foreshadowed some of the new characters in this leak, which is a trend that matches already-announced characters and stages (Kid Icarus image dump by Sakurai after Palutena image leak plus Palutena trophy tease, empty Mii cage in the Find Mii stage, Rainbow Road in the Rosalina/Luma trailer). It stands to reason that Game and Watch was a tease in the Pacman Trailer along with Shulk teased by composer reveal and Xenoblade devs retweeting Sakurai, Dark Pit teased in Palutena reveal, and maybe there's more to come (Ridley shadow from earlier Smash video--don't remember which--could be evidence backing up Ridley DLC, but I doubt it)
6) Ice Climber cut or moved to DLC makes sense given 3DS and Sakurai hinted at it.
7) Bowser and DeDeDe, while out of place technically, seem to be lumped into their own weight class, which lends their spot on the roster a (tenuous) rationality.
8) This is mostly speculative on my part, but I've been unduly hyped for Smash games since 1999 and thus combed for every shred of data. Just from my sheer volume of reading over the years: the Duck Hunt Dog has come up an absurd amount of times and fits all of Sakurai's criteria for uniqueness, as well as the tradition of throwing in an off the wall retro favorite.

If I were on a jury for this case, I'd vote real in a heartbeat because the circumstantial evidence is just too compelling.

I also believe that there's some good evidence for Chrom: he might have been a tease in the Robin reveal. No reason why he couldn't hit as DLC, and it would make the Gematsu leak complete. I tend to believe the leaker when he says the Chorus Men are DLC--the Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run were likely a tease, and they probably have a team aspect to them, which makes them harder to work into the retail release ala Ice Climbers. This evidence is less compelling than other things related to this leak, but noteworthy nevertheless.

Real. Will be astounded if I'm wrong, but it's been known to happen. Duck Hunt Dog is for sure on my new main rotation.
Oh nooooooooo
it is the guy
He wants the be the Guy.
He got ded.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
despite some people inexplicably feeling offended by pony emotes, i like them... so i have to ask, where are people getting these?

is there some secret stash of emotes on here? cause im not seeing anything all that good from the emote selection...

anyway... regarding that shadow shown in that one screenshot that had people worried, apparently... that didnt even look like ridley, from what i saw... it looked like some... long... wingless... thing... i didnt see anything ridley-like on that shadow.

so if pyrosphere does have a boss, i highly doubt its ridley.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
However, it's likely that when I say "I told you so" it will be in the form of elegantly worded posts using logic and facts that are on the table, so it won't really be trolling.
This is the one part of your post I have problems with. I'm fine with you having an opinion, and I'm fine with it differing from mine. But this part is flat out incorrect.

Trolling is defined as internet discordance. Otherwise defined as saying something known to get negative reaction from other users, mainly to provoke a reaction from said crowd or person.

Coming back and explaining "why you were right" would still be trolling. Have dignity and don't be a **** to people. You didn't see me go straight to the Ghirahim thread and tell them all the reasons that Ghirahim never had a chance, even though I knew he wouldn't get in. Sometimes you need to allow people a moment a silence if they got something wrong. It isn't an appropriate action to have occur.

Okay, I'm going to attempt to be civil with this uncontrollable mob that is the Ridley thread. Remember, most of this can be simply accounted as my opinion, but I believe they are rooted firmly in reality.
That is a stereotype. I'm a civil Ridley supporter, so not the entire thread is explosive. I understand what you meant though.

But you have to remember that we think these are firmly rooted in reality. There is no correct answer until late September, so nobody knows what it's like.

Have we ever seen a Ridley boss in full 1080p HD glorious-ness?

I don't think we have. Seems like something worth being excited about. Something you could hype and tease. The major questions are, what have they done with the model? How does it look?
That's a decent point, but Nintendo Land had a Ridley fight in 1080p, didn't it? Sure, it isn't the same Ridley, but Nintendo takes "silly" games like that very seriously.

There isn't much of a boss fight you can have in Smash Bros when you're competing for a kill on the boss. It's like letting four kids with baseball bats at a pinata at the same time, it's too chaotic. Ridley's fights have all had a sense of nobleness to them; something not achievable in a four way stream of fists like Smash.

EDIT: It is nice to see that you actually wrote a well thought out response. Thank you. Most people just drop in and go like "Too Big, lol" and leave. Thank you. As SchAlternate already said, it's a shame people have to be so rude when replying, or they block you off the bat. I'll apologize for the thread, I'm not a big believer in being rude to someone with an opinion.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

that is a terrible argument...but i think i can top that from Miiverse. someone said he couldnt be in smash because we already have a dragon playable in smash

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Cant quote that load of text on my phone, will have to do it this way:
I don't know the specifics on development progress, obviously, so that clearly wasn't the main thing I wanted to point out. The point was to clarify that the direct clip was obviously choreographed and should not be held as a demonstration as to how he could be playable due to the nature of how he moved.
Part of your argument was that the character was not finished and that's why it was not fully shown. If you dont know how game development works, then maybe its not worth bringing that up.
Im not in disagreement about the tease being staged, I am though about the idea that a boss hazard integral to the stage was given the lighting effects before actually functioning. Not only this is something Nintendo does not do, characters in this game were already unveiled without the finishing touches. There are a few things you said here and there that I agree with, but that one is just a poor excuse. Sakurai teased Ridley because he wanted to.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
that is a terrible argument...but i think i can top that from Miiverse. someone said he couldnt be in smash because we already have a dragon playable in smash
Sometimes I feel disapointed in miiverse, with that logic the person who said that might as well said that there should not be wario or any other eating or swallowing characters because kirby and yoshi is already in game as playable.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
[collapse=Off-topic]
You mean my avatar? I made it myself.
Welp, you just earned a follower. Do you have a Art Gallery account? If so, I need to know cuz that sprite looks awesome.[/collapse]

Tell that person :ganondorf:would like to say hi.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Then top this: "He's a boss in Metroid."
i have a similar one i saw on a smash facebook group. "he was already a boss in the previous one" i told them that characters like charizard weren't playable in previous smash games but later became playable, they brushed that off

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Hey, guys? I thought we decided his bad and blatantly wrong opinions would be Ignored?
Okay, there's a line between being confident and being a **** to people. He wrote out a well thought out response and all you can stand to do is insult him? This is the reason people say things like "explosive thread".

You'll find it's easier to counter arguments when people aren't trigger-happy with the block button. He has a few valid points, you know. Not that I agree with them, but they're valid.

I'm sorry for being harsh but this is true. Listening to the other side strengthens your own.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also, @Zipzo , I appreciate you're trying to have a 'civil' conversation this time, but honestly, why do we need to know you don't want Ridley? We get it, you don't want Ridley. We don't care. :p

Probably the worst arguments of why Ridley shouldn't be playable I've ever heard. :laugh:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Okay, there's a line between being confident and being a **** to people. He wrote out a well thought out response and all you can stand to do is insult him? This is the reason people say things like "explosive thread".

Damn, can't you give people a chance? You'll find it's easier to counter arguments when people aren't trigger-happy with the block button. He has a few valid points, you know. Not that I agree with them, but they're valid.
He lost that privilege when he resorted to ad hominem against someone who didn't deserve it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Damn, can't you give people a chance? You'll find it's easier to counter arguments when people aren't trigger-happy with the block button. He has a few valid points, you know. Not that I agree with them, but they're valid.
Well, if it wasn't the fact he insulted and harassed a fellow supporter here of being mentally challenged earlier, he wouldn't be getting the cold shoulder treatment.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
one time a guy on miiverse told me that ridley couldn't be playable because he had wings and could fly :chuckle:
my friend told me that since ridley could fly and has attacks that are strong, he would be OP. i told him that sakurai and his team can balance the game. he told me that they cant balance it just for him (i face palmed when he said that) and then i told him that if smash wasnt balanced we would have samus unstoppable, pit as a god, wft useless, falcon always being in a car, and so on. greatest victory at my lunch table ever

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Guys
I know this is a popular topic
but let's slow down a bit...
We're at 1642 Pages, after all.
2000 is a Big Number, but we don't wanna go there just yet.

Top Bottom