• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zynux

Smash Lord
Except for the part where Little Birdie (Ridley) shrieks to wake him up and is seen drinking honey his blood from the corpse after Samus kills it. They could have shown any boss from Other M (Vorash or that other lava one), but they showed that one with...Ridley's Other M theme playing in the backgroud. I think the trophy theory is still good, and Impa's more likely seeing as she's been in more Zelda games anyways.
Alright, fair enough. Forgot about that plot point. But I must ask: wasn't Ridley making most of the creatures in the Bottle Ship react anyway? Why is the King Kihunter a special case? Just because it initiated the boss battle?

I would have thought a trophy of a Space Pirate, or a variant of Ridley (Ridley-X) would be more substantial. But I guess I can buy the theory with the King Kihunter, even though I'm still mighty suspicious of it.

The image was also posted by NoE on the day of Pyrosphere's 1 year anniversary, forgot to mention. While I think it's likely a cruel/unfortunate coincidence, should at least be able to see why others may have taken the purple wings and yellow eyes on Pyrosphere as a tease for that day (yeah, I know MK has always had that, but that's beside the point).
...A convenient detail to forget :laugh:

I guess I find it more plausible now.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Alright, fair enough. Forgot about that plot point. But I must ask: wasn't Ridley making most of the creatures in the Bottle Ship react anyway? Why is the King Kihunter a special case? Just because it initiated the boss battle?

I would have thought a trophy of a Space Pirate, or a variant of Ridley (Ridley-X) would be more substantial. But I guess I can buy the theory with the King Kihunter, even though I'm still mighty suspicious of it.

...A convenient detail to forget :laugh:

I guess I find it more plausible now.
Well, it was MB, I thought, but they never really made that clear. Other M's story is convoluted and stupid anyways. I hope Ridley's in, I'm not believing anything that comes from a source other than Sakurai for aforementioned reasons. You guys shouldn't lose hope because of non-official sources. That's my 2 cents.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Why thank you, I think its rather fitting, given the recent events.
Yeah, I was going to mention that your avatar is pretty legit dude. But it looks like I was beaten to the punch.

C'mon. Purple wings, on Pyrosphere, with Meta Knight's eyes turning yellow like Ridley's.. What more needs to be said?

So with the PotD... R.I.P. Trophy Quiz theory, I suppose?
I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was just showing off Meta-Knight.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well, it was MB, I thought, but they never really made that clear. Other M's story is convoluted and stupid anyways. I hope Ridley's in, I'm not believing anything that comes from a source other than Sakurai for aforementioned reasons. You guys shouldn't lose hope because of non-official sources. That's my 2 cents.
Hope is an anchor. It stabilizes you, but it also holds you back. You tie up so much in hope that you can't see beyond it. Things the way they are get distorted, drained of reality, because you project that reality into that which you hope for. You see the world take on shapes that aren't true, and you cannot see other opportunities and directions before you.

Sometimes, you need to cast aside hope, or you will never progress. When you are set before an impossible goal, with only hope to sustain you, you will continue on but never achieve that goal. If you cast hope aside, you can find a new route for yourself, a new way forward.

But, let's face it, this is not one of those times.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
MB was saying that a "certain presence" was making the creatures on the Bottle Ship react, and Samus with her glorious monologues reasoned that it was Ridley.

Yet it was also stated that MB could control the Zebesian Space Pirates and in the final fight could lead all the bioforms on the ship to attack the GF and Samus...

Yeah, it's not clear. Been a while since I tried to dissect Other M's story :rotfl:

Hopefully you guys are right about the trophy theory. I never believed in it, even loooong before any leak popped up.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was just showing off Meta-Knight.
.. On the day of Pyrosphere's 1 year anniversary, as I just mentioned in my last post. Any other reason Nintendo of Europe would post such a thing? I heard they've had a tendency of being teasy/trolly like that in the past too. NoA's the only division that doesn't post such hype-inducing Smash pictures, ironically.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
I can see why people would post the Girahim link in the Ridley thread. It kinda... puts things in perspective. I remember a time when Ridley and Girahim were asked for together! In a grand villains trailer! There would have been much rejoicing.

It's like we're seeing our fellow supporters fall. Our fellow... allies. Are we destined to fall? In a mere pic-of-the-day no less? Or will our steadfast devotion be rewarded? Only time will tell. Coming to the end, guys... For what it's worth, it's been a good fight. :>

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
we need something for ridley i would rather be pissed that he's a boss than not know if #1 isn't playable.I really hope he isn't a boss so a video on pyrosphere or a picture showing him battling would be nice.Just something

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Ridley has so much fanfare and so much demand, it would be just cruel at this point to not put him in. He's incredibly deserving of a spot, is a villain, represents a popular franchise that doesn't have enough representation as it is....and several hints have been dropped. I am just sure that he will be playable.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
well... with that PotD... the trophy quiz theory is blown to hell.

i think we can expect ridley to be deconfirmed, eventually...

with ghirahim being deconfirmed, i just cant imagine ridley making it in, now... ouch... my hope. :sadeyes:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

with ghirahim being deconfirmed, i just cant imagine ridley making it in, now... ouch... my hope. :sadeyes:
You do realize that there are multiple possible Zelda representatives? And that Impa always made a lot more sense than a villain who was only in a single game and is basically impossible to bring back into the continuity? And that Ridley has always had a lot more going for him than just the trophy tease?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
You do realize that there are multiple possible Zelda representatives? And that Impa always made a lot more sense than a villain who was only in a single game and is basically impossible to bring back into the continuity? And that Ridley has always had a lot more going for him than just the trophy tease?
i honestly dont care much, anymore... at this point, i'd need something HUGE to come along in order to give me any hope.

the only way i can imagine impa being in is if sakurai uses her hyrule warriors version, which means ganondorf's HW version should be in, as well.

if they were confirmed, then maybe i'd have my hope restored in the trophy quiz and thus be able to hope for ridley again.

but look at us... we're desperate... we're grasping at a picture of meta knight, thinking he confirms ridley... and things are just getting insane.

i cant think of anything to grasp onto for hope right now, even the second post isnt good enough, anymore.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice

Not necessarily. If you're clinging to hope of the trophy theory, there's still hope of a Zelda newcomer. If they can put in characters like Wii Fit Trainer and (depending on if the leak is real) Duck Hunt Dog, any character from Zelda is likely, haha. Tingle, or Tetra, Loftwings, or Groose, or you name it! Girahim was far from the only possible zelda newcomer.

And aside from that, the Ridley thread never really relied on the Trophy theory to begin with. We've got lots of other stuff to go on. Don't lose hope now! It's the final stretch!

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Stand strong my brothers!!! ARE WE NOT SPACE PIRATES??!! DO WE COWER IN THE FACE OF ASSIST TROPHIES AND FAKE LEAKS??!!!!

I SAY NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
loving the new thread name. it fits so well with whats happening with ridley

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
First time poster here, and I refuse to believe any damn leaks! I will not drink the water, even if Girahim bit the dust!
Unlike some of us

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I found this "hybrid" sprite for Ridley that someone made on Tumblr (i.e. parts of Ridley's Zero Mission sprite, and parts of the Xenomorph Praetorian sprite from an Alien vs. Predator Arcade game, according to the post):

Barring the fact that Ridley would probably be on all fours (to compensate for his height and for better scaling) I really like the stance of this sprite and if not for the aforementioned scaling/height issues would really like this look (read: stance) for him in Smash.

What would you all think?

Also Metroid Art

Looks like someone stole my sprite. Was there anything saying "BaganSmashBros"? If not...then seriously, it is stolen. I made it for MUGEN game Nintendo VS Capcom. Here is proof: mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/t2877-nintendo-vs-capcom-team-in-the-search I really hate such things happening. I even have more sprites done for that, but i decided to cancel this Ridley in favor of Other M-ish Ridley, which is better that what would have been done with sprites.
Nice images by the way. Here is something i found:
Phantoon looks fine IMO and this Ridley sprite looks better than Super Smash Bros Crusade version. But that Phantoon looks a bit unfitting for Metroid. Just imagine having THAT in Metroid Other M while still being GIANT. Seriously, he was too big in Other M. Is he bigger in Other M than SMG Bowser?

Something off-topic: If SSB would be more like a normal fighter game like Street Fighter or at least Soul Calibur or...a game with "Blue" in its name...how would Ridley "play" then? What would be main strategy? You wouldn't need to knock someone off the stage, so, higher knockback or heavy weight/knockback resistance wouldn't help much.

Looks like Ghirahim bites the dust and will be served as a sacrifice for Ridley. And oh look how it happened - deconfirmed instantly without any chance of him being playable left. Add that to the pile of sacrifices/instantly deconfirmed characters of 2nd post. Also...Ghirahim has long tongue shown in the PotD...Ridley has a long tongue that is always sticking out/hangs out of his mouth...Ridley confirmed.
That deconfirmation doesn't kills trophy theory. There is still Impa. I don't really care about that theory.

And f*** leak talk.
IsmaR is coming for you.
IsmaR: "STAARS!" wait...wrong one..."LEAK DISCUSSION IN RIDLEY THREAAAAD!"
IsmaR used BIG AS S**T ROCKET LAUNCHER!
Wild SvartWolf fainted!
Wild PeterJude fainted!
Congratulations! You've gained 444 EXP!

...i hope that doesn't sounds offensive...sorry if it does...

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
On Gamefaqs, I was reading how the biggest Girahim supporter was beginning to lose hope. Like a few pages into the thread, this PoTD arrives.

Listen... It may have been sad and unfortunate for what had happened to Girahim. This may put a slight strain on Ridley's chances, but that doesn't matter. You ARE SPACE PIRATES! You've come to this thread for a reason... To SUPPORT your favorite Purple Space Dragon. If you lose hope now, you'll only end up how that other person did on gamefaqs. I know I haven't been here on this thread too long, but I've been here long enough to know that everyone here has shown heart. I want a good fight from everyone for the next few weeks, no matter what, to stay 200% strong.

If you choose to believe that Ridley won't make it in, that is a realistic outlook. However, with Smash at it's 'sink or swim' stage, there's no time for losing hope. All I ask is that you give the same amount of support to Ridley as you did a few months ago. If you give up now, you'll be turning your back on the character you wanted the most! I put my complete faith in all of you, and that your endeavors will pay off when all is said and done.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
HOLY CRAP I HAVE AN IDEA! Does anyone know if Yellow Devil appears in smash run? If that is the case, then Kraid might be the Pyrosphere boss!"Oh, but Kraid has nothing to do with it!" Yellow Devil wasn't in the Wily Castle, and because the name of the stage isn't Geometrical Power Plant, that means Goyagma and Vorash are plausible for relevance "Oh, but that we be too long!" Then just name it Power Plant

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
HOLY CRAP I HAVE AN IDEA! Does anyone know if Yellow Devil appears in smash run? If that is the case, then Kraid might be the Pyrosphere boss!"Oh, but Kraid has nothing to do with it!" Yellow Devil wasn't in the Wily Castle, and because the name of the stage isn't Geometrical Power Plant, that means Goyagma and Vorash are plausible for relevance "Oh, but that we be too long!" Then just name it Power Plant
Nah, Yellow Devil isn't in Smash Run.

Either Ridley is a stage boss or Pyrosphere won't have a stage boss at all as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Well kraid being the pyrosphere boss isn't impossible, but if brinstar depths stage from melee returns then he is most likely to be in that stage

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Well kraid being the pyrosphere boss isn't impossible, but if brinstar depths stage from melee returns then he is most likely to be in that stage
Melee's Brinstar is already confirmed back. I really doubt they'd bring back both Melee Metroid stages. And if Yellow Devil really doesn't appear at Wily's Castle (never played a Megaman game, wouldn't know), then yeah, almost any Metroid boss could theoretically be a Pyrosphere boss, Kraid included.

And I'm really baffled at people everywhere thinking the trophy theory is dead because Ghirahim is an assist trophy. He was just the one considered most likely, but look at Chrom. Even if you believe the character needs to be from the same game as the [trophy] character and song, Impa fits the bill perfectly.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Pyrosphere can have any bosses from PYROSPHERE. Like Goyagma, Vorash (don't know how that could even work), Rhedogian (yes please), etc. No Kraid, Phantoon, Nightmare, etc. since they are not from Pyrosphere and Kraid isn't even on that ship.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Pyrosphere can have any bosses from PYROSPHERE. Like Goyagma, Vorash (don't know how that could even work), Rhedogian (yes please), etc. No Kraid, Phantoon, Nightmare, etc. since they are not from Pyrosphere and Kraid isn't even on that ship.
I stated Kraid as a possibility as Yellow Devil isn't in the Wily Castle, he isn't in the whole game at all!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You don't have to be in the level (or even in the game) to be used as a hazard for a stage. The fish from Balloon Fight proved that:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Thank **** that leak only made Sakurai absolutely livid to the point of deconfirming Ghirahim. In the back of my mind I had a worry Ridley would be the one getting that ***** slap today or on Friday.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You don't have to be in the level (or even in the game) to be used as a hazard for a stage. The fish from Balloon Fight proved that:

Well, that is better argument. Still, it would be better to use bosses from Pyrosphere since they are "immune" to lava. Including Rhedogian, who would be a better choice than any other boss from that area. He is smaller than Ridley, so, he would easily fit on the platforms and after some time after he appeared, he could jump into lava until he will reappear again.
That was the Yellow Devil MKII, they are different, MKII seems to have breasts and has a different shape, it also has 2 ways of scrolling across the stage
Ridley didn't appeared in Metroid Other M, but it still counts because there was his clone. Yellow Devil MK2 is most likely upgraded version of MK1.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thank **** that leak only made Sakurai absolutely livid to the point of deconfirming Ghirahim. In the back of my mind I had a worry Ridley would be the one getting that ***** slap today or on Friday.
No need to worry, Sakurai wouldn't have teased him if it was merely for a non playable role, we would have had a confirmation that he was a boss last year

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
Where did this 'Trophy Theory" is dead stuff start from anyway? I never, ever understood why it was always taken as "newcomers". As far as I'm concerned, it is very possible that it only means "new movesets".

Until I see Ganondorf play the same way and Impa not in the roster at all, the needle really doesn't move at all. We ALL KNOW that the Metroid part represents Ridley no matter how you would slice it.

I am not desperate for Ridley. I never have been. I am still about as sure (from an odds standpoint) of his playability as I was on Sunday. There has been evidence of his playability in the past few days, and I really hope people stop losing hope in him over evidence that really hasn't changed much. Remember, they would have kept Ridley and Mewtwo more secret than anybody they were going to add to this roster...and they have.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Well, that is better argument. Still, it would be better to use bosses from Pyrosphere since they are "immune" to lava. Including Rhedogian, who would be a better choice than any other boss from that area. He is smaller than Ridley, so, he would easily fit on the platforms and after some time after he appeared, he could jump into lava until he will reappear again.
there are many bosses that are immune to lava from metroid, including kraid and crocomire, and don't get me wrong, I think that it is most likely that a boss from Other M that will be the stage boss, but it isn't impossible (but highly unlikely) for a boss from some other metroid game to be the stage boss.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
there are many bosses that are immune to lava from metroid, including kraid and crocomire, and don't get me wrong, I think that it is most likely that a boss from Other M that will be the stage boss, but it isn't impossible (but highly unlikely) for a boss from some other metroid game to be the stage boss.
Crocomire DIED in lava

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
No need to worry, Sakurai wouldn't have teased him if it was merely for a non playable role, we would have had a confirmation that he was a boss last year
Maybe, but I wouldn't just say Ridley is confirmed to be playable. While he does seem pretty darn likely, what this PoTD showed is anything is possible. Both sides have plausible arguments but what you stated is literally the big question whether Rids is a boss or not. Say he is a boss, what do you believe to be Sakurai's explanation?

Top Bottom