• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The parts where you had to find something with your visor to continue weren't decent.

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was suppose to look for

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I been hearing about a char in other m called ''Melissa''

She seems kinda popular.

How would you PeePz feel if Metroid got a 2nd rep and it was Either Anthony or Melissa?

[Serious Question:]

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
"Melissa" is more commonly known as MB. Spoilers abound in the link.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/MB

I dunno. She doesn't really inspire me as a character at all and she will certainly never have the same kind of presence and importance to the series as, say, Ridley.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder why they chose for the major spoiler of Other M to be about some characters you cared completely not at all about. Then there was that stupid "Deleter" thing that goes no where. Also killing off Adam and making it seem really sad and stuff yet you're not given a reason really to care about him either, if anything you'd be saying "good" since he just shot you in the back for no reason.

ETC.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"Melissa" is more commonly known as MB. Spoilers abound in the link.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/MB

I dunno. She doesn't really inspire me as a character at all and she will certainly never have the same kind of presence and importance to the series as, say, Ridley.
Is she even called Melissa in game?

I've never heard her called ANYTHING but "Madeline" and MB

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I been hearing about a char in other m called ''Melissa''

She seems kinda popular.

How would you PeePz feel if Metroid got a 2nd rep and it was Either Anthony or Melissa?

[Serious Question:]
Melissa never fights. She's as harmless as any normal human being, heck she dies from normal shots, she just so happens to have an army she can control with telepathy. She has no chance, no potential, and I would likely resort to pirating the game just to not support such a decision. Boy am I glad it isn't in the realms of possibility.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Melissa never fights. She's as harmless as any normal human being, heck she dies from normal shots, she just so happens to have an army she can control with telepathy. She has no chance, no potential, and I would likely resort to pirating the game just to not support such a decision. Boy am I glad it isn't in the realms of possibility.

To be fair, I think it's safe to assume that she has enhanced strength on account of being an android. It does seem like she goes down pretty easily, though...

But yeah. She could realistically have a moveset based around android strength, summoning monsters, and mind control but... who the heck wants her, anyway? There are hundreds of threads on this forum and nobody has created a thread for her.

Or really mentioned her until now as far as I can tell... In the end, she was just another way to shove as many of the creations from past games into Other M.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
A couple of pages back I did state how Metroid Prime Hunters is the worst Metroid game, I've never defended it. Other M is still bad by Metroid standards though.
whatyoutalkinboutwario

hunters was da bomb. Sure, it may have been better on a console, but did the wii really have better online than the ds? get past the controls, and hunters was quite fun, plus the potential it brought for multiplayer with other characters (a desperately needed feature for a wii u metroid)

no ridley was disappointing, I'll admit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man i wish the 3DS VC wasent so bad....
I like the 3DS Virtual Console. Mole Mania, Wario Land, Link's Awakening DX, Punch-Out!!, Ice Climber, and Mega Man 2 are all on my 3DS. :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I like the 3DS Virtual Console. Mole Mania, Wario Land, Link's Awakening DX, Punch-Out!!, Ice Climber, and Mega Man 2 are all on my 3DS. :p
I have got some of those games on my DS..the rest im not a fan of (no offense)

3DS should have GB/GBC/NES/GBA
Wii U NES/SNES/N64 And maybe GC.

Ugh......

EDIT: wait...i can get all those games you listed on my DS for free....

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still hold to the belief that a sub-par/bad Metroid game is still better than most crap out nowadays.
aint it so :/

Still pissed that Retro's big secret project was DCK. I really, really wanted metroid >.>

and any nintendo virtual console is crap and will continue to be crap until it can do better than what my phone can do for free >.>

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
As much as I like Metroid, I like DKC better, so I'm not disappointed (HA-HA)

but it would have been interesting for a new metroid game, especially with ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If you could skip cutscenes then yes, it'd be a decent game, but still subpar by Metroid standards.
You can skip the cutscenes, at least when replaying it, and it's not exactly devoid of replay value.

I was being sarcastic :/

you can't just say a game doesn't exits, let alone the DCK stuff.
I forgot how anti other M this place was lol

(not that i''ve even played it)
Which is why you shouldn't of brought it up to begin with, even as a joke.

She only died from normal shots after being frozen/cheapshotted. Before that she was kicking ass with telekinesis and crap, and she's not a normal human, but an android.

I didn't like her all that much myself but can see why some would, being a Mother Brain reincarnation and all who became a victim because she was given a human conscience/developed some humanity, and the Federation certainly can't allow that for one of their precious secret weapons.

But yeah. She could realistically have a moveset based around android strength, summoning monsters, and mind control but... who the heck wants her, anyway? There are hundreds of threads on this forum and nobody has created a thread for her.

Or really mentioned her until now as far as I can tell... In the end, she was just another way to shove as many of the creations from past games into Other M.
I would rather have her over the overrated Anthony at least, to be honest, not that I like her quite enough to go out of my way making a thread for her.

Man i wish the 3DS VC wasent so bad....
It's only because of it that I finally got to play Metroid II though, among a couple other stuff.

I still hold to the belief that a sub-par/bad Metroid game is still better than most crap out nowadays.
This, times like 1,000,000.

aint it so :/

Still pissed that Retro's big secret project was DCK. I really, really wanted metroid >.>
Retro's still given Metroid enough love for the time being. Not surprised that their upcoming project wasn't a Metroid nor was I expecting it. Still wouldn't of minded if it had been a Star Fox though.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Retro's still given Metroid enough love for the time being. Not surprised that their upcoming project wasn't a Metroid nor was I expecting it. Still wouldn't of minded if it had been a Star Fox though.
Yeah, to be fair, I didn't expect a metroid. Just... dck? not my favorite series. Not bad by any means, but it feels like wasted potential with retro

Which is why you shouldn't of brought it up to begin with, even as a joke.
Even not having played it, my point was valid. I was trying to point out that just because the game wasn't well received doesn't mean that it wasn't a major metroid game released fairly recently, keeping metroid as a larger nintendo series. Unfortunately, I usually lather everything with a thick sarcasm sauce and I forget that sometimes it gets misread. It was just an unlucky combination, not trying to revive old arguments xD

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, to be fair, I didn't expect a metroid. Just... dck? not my favorite series. Not bad by any means, but it feels like wasted potential with retro

Even not having played it, my point was valid. I was trying to point out that just because the game wasn't well received doesn't mean that it wasn't a major metroid game released fairly recently, keeping metroid as a larger nintendo series. Unfortunately, I usually lather everything with a thick sarcasm sauce and I forget that sometimes it gets misread. It was just an unlucky combination, not trying to revive old arguments xD
DKC's definitely one of my favorite series, but guess I can see why you'd feel that way if it isn't. Wasted potential though? That's more or less what Donkey Kong became post-Rare before Retro came along.

In b4 KneeSockMan uses Other M not being as well received as a reason for Metroid to not deserve having another playable rep, again.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
DKC's definitely one of my favorite series, but guess I can see why you'd feel that way if it isn't. Wasted potential though? That's more or less what Donkey Kong became post-Rare before Retro came along.

it's just... of all the new games to develop for the wii U, why a platformer? The system has so much more capabilities, and we just got a new, good game in the same series.

you said starfox, that would have been fine, we could use one of those for the wii u. think about it. The gamepad could be an actual targeting computer. that'd be amazing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
She only died from normal shots after being frozen/cheapshotted. Before that she was kicking *** with telekinesis and crap, and she's not a normal human, but an android.
Well, what I mean by that she's as harmless as any human being was that, well, she's just as harmless as a human. I know that she's an android. And what I said was kind of wrong, because thinking back I actually think it did show her having superhuman strength by throwing some Federation troops across the room at some point.

And to be fair, we never actually know if she could take any shots before being frozen, because the guys that shoot her only show up as soon as she's frozen, and as soon as they shoot the ice crackles either way, so all the ice gun really did was freeze her in place so that she was open to fire.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would rather have her over the overrated Anthony at least, to be honest, not that I like her quite enough to go out of my way making a thread for her.
At the very least, he did have his moments/did something plot-relevant. Even Rundas in Corruption just got 1-shotted.

Plus, he faced Ridley and lived to tell about it. That's something only Samus herself can boast as far as humans go.

On that note, I'd actually like something similar to that as far as Ridley's run animation goes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It would be so perfect if Ridley had that slash as a dash attack, as well as a follow-up attack (think Link's F-Smash), where he turned around and whacked opponents with his tail. Might catch people who rolled backward.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, during that run animation the Other M model doesn't look half bad, it actually looks great. Though I still want them to give him pupils.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
it's just... of all the new games to develop for the wii U, why a platformer? The system has so much more capabilities, and we just got a new, good game in the same series.

you said starfox, that would have been fine, we could use one of those for the wii u. think about it. The gamepad could be an actual targeting computer. that'd be amazing.
That is true. Can't really give an excuse on that.

Yeah. At this point though it's hard for me to even sympathize with the Star Fox fanbase, looking at what goes on in like the Krystal thread.

At the very least, he did have his moments/did something plot-relevant. Even Rundas in Corruption just got 1-shotted.

Plus, he faced Ridley and lived to tell about it. That's something only Samus herself can boast as far as humans go.

On that note, I'd actually like something similar to that as far as Ridley's run animation goes.
I'm aware of what he's done and like him to an extent like pretty much everyone else, just he's been a bit overhyped for my taste (granted, it's mainly certain users like Diddy Kong that overrate him, IMO). Rundas was just less fortunate because of the script he was in; if Anthony had been in the same position as him in Corruption, he'd have gotten one-shotted too, or likely would've been swatted like a fly by MB like one of those Federation troopers if he tried attacking her before she got frozen.

It would be so perfect if Ridley had that slash as a dash attack, as well as a follow-up attack (think Link's F-Smash), where he turned around and whacked opponents with his tail. Might catch people who rolled backward.
Haha, a Link forward Smash like combo on him would be great. "Back-roll dodge this, *****!"

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Really, Ridley could have plenty of attacks like that. He's full of pointy ends. If the human body is a weapon then his is an arsenal.

I DON'T EXPECT OR CARE if Sakurai goes this route, but utilizing attacks like that would not only demonstrate his brutality, but also his cleverness.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was just saying he's not as bad as some (cough :diddy: cough) make him out to be.

My hierarchy still goes Ridley > Dark Samus > Random Hunter > Kraid/Crocomire/othertoobigotry > Other M specific character.

Of course I'd be surprised if we got more than one (hell, if any) and all I really care about is Ridley. I just like Manthony.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Really, Ridley could have plenty of attacks like that. He's full of pointy ends. If the human body is a weapon then his is an arsenal.

I DON'T EXPECT OR CARE if Sakurai goes this route, but utilizing attacks like that would not only demonstrate his brutality, but also his cleverness.
True true. He kind of already demonstrated that cleverness against Anthony in that cutscene when you think about it. Started with the slash which Higgs dodged, followed by tail attack which knocked him off the platform, a la Link F-smash.
I was just saying he's not as bad as some (cough :diddy: cough) make him out to be.

My hierarchy still goes Ridley > Dark Samus > Random Hunter > Kraid/Crocomire/othertoobigotry > Other M specific character.

Of course I'd be surprised if we got more than one (hell, if any) and all I really care about is Ridley. I just like Manthony.
Oh, 'k. Fair enough yeah. Wasn't saying he was a bad character by any means.

I guess Mother Brain goes under "othertoobigotry" ? I would put her over Dark Samus or any random hunter at least, but other than that same here. Not sure where I would put Gorea from MPH.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Took me a moment there to notice the Lion King bit, but that was... I'm speechless.

Gave it a 'like' on YouTube.
Since it was my first time seeing your profile there, I also liked your DKCR rant, particularly the part about Miyamoto near the end, having been reminded about it now...

Oh yeah, you should do a K. Rool version of that Gathering Storm vid sometime (you know, talk about the "K. Rool and Kremlings are still owned by Rare" thing the way you did with the too big meme).
Yeah, the overt racism of the Miyamoto imitation isn't anything I'm terribly proud of, but hey, those videos were fun to make back in the day, so there's that.

Remember, people...a storm is coming, and the clouds are dark, because Ridley's face...is in those clouds.

So yeah, now that I've become a born-again disciple of the Almighty Sakurai, I just have to make sure I'm not caught with my pants down in an airport bathroom, supporting other TOO BIG characters. *glances both ways, then ducks into K. Rool's thread*

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure she was called "MB" as some kind of link to "Mother Brain"

So this Melissa is just riding on Mother Brain's infamy

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
She's the closest thing to a humanized Mother Brain (as far as telekinetic manipulation of Metroids goes) there is.

Also Mother Brain wasn't on my list because SERIOUSLY GUYS SHE'S ONLY HAD LEGS IN ONE APPEARANCE. LET ALONE SIZE (imagine Bunny Hood on it) AND BEING PART OF A STAGE IN MELEE (yes that was it I have a source who can't say his name but had coffee w/ Sakurai).
Though if it fought like the Aurora Unit in Corruption that would be pretty sweet.

I'll say.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yeah, the overt racism of the Miyamoto imitation isn't anything I'm terribly proud of, but hey, those videos were fun to make back in the day, so there's that.

Remember, people...a storm is coming, and the clouds are dark, because Ridley's face...is in those clouds.

Dude this confirms Ridley's in SSB4! If you look you can see Bowser and Ganondorf's faces as well. And I think I can see Master hand in the shadows as well.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

So yeah, now that I've become a born-again disciple of the Almighty Sakurai, I just have to make sure I'm not caught with my pants down in an airport bathroom, supporting other TOO BIG characters. *glances both ways, then ducks into K. Rool's thread*
ppfff. that's nothing. I remember when Ridley was on my toast.

Pretty much 110% confirmed at this point.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If we're mentioning Mother Brain, she should NEVER be a playable character, unless she shows up later with a different, smaller body in a future Metroid, or something along those lines.

She would work best as a boss in an adventure mode stage, or as a stage element.

Bunny Hood + Mother Brain = LOLOLO!L!

Bunny Hood + Ridley = Normal.

Top Bottom