• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Would yo guys consider 'janky' movements more as a pro or a con towards Ridleys chances?
I'm not sure.
He could've just been in early-mid development (trying to get the Animations smooth) but they couldn't get him fully ready in time for the Smash Direct.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
That's...quite the odd psychology you brought up. Do you honestly think people will be hyped for a small, slow-moving piñata after all the hard work they've done to collect evidence in favor of him? Some fans will be more distraught than they were when they first saw the shadow in the direct, and the whole support fanbase will be alienated and subject to prejudice for many years. Both Ridley and his fanbase will become a laughing stock and the butt of Smash jokes if he ends up a boss again...and that's just cruel for anyone who supports that prejudice.
Yea, I do think that, because I assume all of you ridley supporters (and I don't mean that in a mean way) are still hyped for this game, am I wrong to say that you all check it almost daily hoping for some info on Ridley? And while you're doing that you've seent he reveal of the newcomers and the features and stages and whatnot, I hope you're all hyped and not that obsessed with one character, this is a great game either way, and by having you guys cling to your screens waiting for your savior to appear, you're taking in everything else. If they alienate you before the game's even released, you're all less inclined to check everyday and see what's up because they've already turned you off before you got hooked on everything else.

If you came in day 1 and he flat out said "hey guys, no ridley" I don't think as many of you would be on here as often as you are, checking the site however often you do, and being as excited for the game, and if you come in with a negative attitude, nothing seems as great because you already know your number 1 desire is still not in the game, but if he stalls you out and makes you wait for it, then youre (hopefully) geting hyped for everything else smash has to offer while remaining optimistic for Ridley.

And let me tell you, you guys are clearly the most resilient and dedicated fanbase here, if he alienates you day 1, that would not keep you active in the community, unless it was to complain or something

Marx the Jester

Smash Cadet
Would yo guys consider 'janky' movements more as a pro or a con towards Ridleys chances?
I honestly see it as a pro. His movement and behavior are very strange. They don't look like scripted movement, like a boss would have. Also, Ridley flies around constantly in the Metroid games, so just stopping in the middle of flying is very un-Ridley-like. By the way, SSBB Ridley doesn't count since he was basically Dyna Blade.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Alright everyone.

Today I was watching some YouTube after working on a video and I came up with a theory. I'm not claiming I was the first to make this theory, because at best, it's more than a year old. In fact, I know I wasn't the first because some videos I watched last year claimed parts of this (namely the Kid Icarus section). For the video, I was working with some of the clips from the initial SSB4 reveal. You know the ones. Anyway, the theory is similar to that of the Trophy Quiz Theory, in which each trophy shown represents a newcomer to said series. The theory goes that each of these clips stands for a Newcomer Reveal.

Sorry for the bad image quality.

These clips are of the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon series. This has been accurate 3 times so far. Mario has gotten Rosalina, Kid Icarus has gotten Palutena, and Pokemon has gotten Greninja. One can only predict what the other 5 series reps will be, and this is where Ridley falls into this. He is the most logical Metroid rep, so that covers Metroid in this.

Mario - Rosalina
Zelda - Vaati/Ghirahim
Metroid - Ridley
Kirby - Bandana Dee
Star Fox - Krystal (?)
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Pokemon - Greninja

I brought this up mainly because I wondered why this hasn't been talked about as much recently as the trophy quiz gets talked about (aside from relevancy). I feel that this has more reliability, solely because this happened during bigger event and wasn't as out of place as the Trophy Quiz. Not that they both can't be correct. Just my opinions.

EDIT: Ignore that crossed out part, I was very tired when writing this. (There's no sense in deleting that from the post, it still shows up in the people that quoted me.)

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Alright everyone.

Today I was watching some YouTube after working on a video and I came up with a theory. I'm not claiming I was the first to make this theory, because at best, it's more than a year old. In fact, I know I wasn't the first because some videos I watched last year claimed parts of this (namely the Kid Icarus section). For the video, I was working with some of the clips from the initial SSB4 reveal. You know the ones. Anyway, the theory is similar to that of the Trophy Quiz Theory, in which each trophy shown represents a newcomer to said series. The theory goes that each of these clips stands for a Newcomer Reveal.

These clips are of the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon series. This has been accurate 3 times so far. Mario has gotten Rosalina, Kid Icarus has gotten Palutena, and Pokemon has gotten Greninja. One can only predict what the other 5 series reps will be, and this is where Ridley falls into this. He is the most logical Metroid rep, so that covers Metroid in this.

Mario - Rosalina
Zelda - Vaati/Ghirahim
Metroid - Ridley
Kirby - Bandana Dee
Star Fox - Krystal (?)
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Pokemon - Greninja

I brought this up mainly because I wondered why this hasn't been talked about as much recently as the trophy quiz gets talked about (aside from relevancy). I feel that this has more reliability, solely because this happened during bigger event and wasn't as out of place as the Trophy Quiz. Not that they both can't be correct. Just my opinions.
Add this to the 2nd post
Ridley confirmed
let's go home, folks.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yea, I do think that, because I assume all of you ridley supporters (and I don't mean that in a mean way) are still hyped for this game, am I wrong to say that you all check it almost daily hoping for some info on Ridley? And while you're doing that you've seent he reveal of the newcomers and the features and stages and whatnot, I hope you're all hyped and not that obsessed with one character, this is a great game either way, and by having you guys cling to your screens waiting for your savior to appear, you're taking in everything else. If they alienate you before the game's even released, you're all less inclined to check everyday and see what's up because they've already turned you off before you got hooked on everything else.

If you came in day 1 and he flat out said "hey guys, no ridley" I don't think as many of you would be on here as often as you are, checking the site however often you do, and being as excited for the game, and if you come in with a negative attitude, nothing seems as great because you already know your number 1 desire is still not in the game, but if he stalls you out and makes you wait for it, then youre (hopefully) geting hyped for everything else smash has to offer while remaining optimistic for Ridley.

And let me tell you, you guys are clearly the most resilient and dedicated fanbase here, if he alienates you day 1, that would not keep you active in the community, unless it was to complain or something
My bad, I looked at your post thinking it was a detractor's post. I really do wanna be hyped for the game no matter what; Ridley is just one character, after all. I feel like what makes the difference is that making Ridley a playable character will at long last end a feud that's lasted for 15 years. There are too many detractors that end up being bullies who attack others' opinion, and Sakurai's ambiguous behavior seems to be just fanning the flames. I'm afraid I've already set myself up for disappointment; I came to this thread to learn never to say never, and it's too late to turn back now.

Still, I have no doubt Sm4sh will be the most successful game Sakurai has ever developed, Ridley or not.

@ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee That's...not bad. Replace Vaatti with Impa, and you got it!

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That is why i said that "as long as it resembles character added, they can do whatever they want if they have not enough stuff to work with". Look at what happened to Pit (redesigned), Captain Falcon (attacks that are absolutely not canonical), Mewtwo (weak, light-weighted and small compared to what he is) and, ROB (i never saw ROB toy/whatever do such things). MUGEN is less limited. It is limited by game engine while Smash is limited by canon, but not as much as MUGEN is by its game engine. Its limited only by basic things like appearance (not size of course, it has been ignored a lot, even for stages and its parts like Dialga and Palkia) and abilities.

Here is one of those "tail drilling" animations:

I really like his and Roidley animations in that game. They look so good. Animations used in that Direct are nothing compared to that. By the way, i have Roidley's flying animation. Could someone compare it to flying animation from Direct?
Maybe that drill move could be used in a fight. I'm thinking either as a Forward Smash or a Down Smash. Maybe even as a Special Variant. But that's kind of hopeful thinking. Since we don't know if Ridley's playable or not.

Alright everyone.

Mario - Rosalina
Zelda - Vaati/Ghirahim
Metroid - Ridley
Kirby - Bandana Dee
Star Fox - Krystal (?)
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Pokemon - Greninja

Blue recognizing girshim? Who are you?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Maybe that drill move could be used in a fight. I'm thinking either as a Forward Smash or a Down Smash. Maybe even as a Special Variant. But that's kind of hopeful thinking. Since we don't know if Ridley's playable or not.
It could be his DThrow.
Besides, we've seen stuff like R.O.B.'s DThrow. Should be fine.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Alright everyone.

Mario - Rosalina
Zelda - Vaati/Ghirahim
Metroid - Ridley
Kirby - Bandana Dee
Star Fox - Krystal (?)
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Pokemon - Greninja

I wish. Also impa would be the Zelda rep.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Does anyone know if "Too Big" is an argument agaisnt Ridley in Japan? Or if it's just a North Americian thing?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Alright everyone.

*snip*

Mario - Rosalina
Zelda - Vaati/Ghirahim
Metroid - Ridley
Kirby - Bandana Dee
Star Fox - Krystal (?)
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Pokemon - Greninja

I'd call it more coincidental so far, personally. The major franchises bring the biggest hype; they're almost always what people look forward to seeing expanded when it comes to reps, so naturally Sakurai would show those franchises off in the very first trailer. Doesn't mean it guarantees them newcomers. Those are some of Nintendo's biggest franchises right now (wouldn't have Kid Icarus on there, maybe swap with Fire Emblem, but this IS Sakurai we're talking about). I believe more in the Smash Direct Trophy Quiz :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Untitled.png

Just a little test....glad that I found some PS brushes that look like pencil....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It could be his DThrow.
Besides, we've seen stuff like R.O.B.'s DThrow. Should be fine.
That's not a bad idea.

I was thinking his Back Throw could be kind of like Fox's. Where he tosses them behind him, and then shoots a fireball to send them flying. Maybe his Up Throw would have Ridley fly upwards and slam them down on the ground.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
That's not a bad idea.

I was thinking his Back Throw could be kind of like Fox's. Where he tosses them behind him, and then shoots a fireball to send them flying. Maybe his Up Throw would have Ridley fly upwards and slam them down on the ground.
FThrow could be dragging them on the ground a bit before chucking 'em forward!
Look at us, working together. This is another reason why I love Smashboards.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
FThrow could be dragging them on the ground a bit before chucking 'em forward!
Look at us, working together. This is another reason why I love Smashboards.
Maybe his pummel can have him biting at who ever he grabs on to. But that's sort of obvious. I think a good Up Smash would be Ridley slashing upwards with both wings.

To be honest, this is what I like about character threads. Actually discussing potential movesets for any given character.

PirateHaxx

Smash Cadet
dam it is gonna suck when we find out ridley is a boss......the bigger the dream, the harder the fall

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
My bad, I looked at your post thinking it was a detractor's post. I really do wanna be hyped for the game no matter what; Ridley is just one character, after all. I feel like what makes the difference is that making Ridley a playable character will at long last end a feud that's lasted for 15 years. There are too many detractors that end up being bullies who attack others' opinion, and Sakurai's ambiguous behavior seems to be just fanning the flames. I'm afraid I've already set myself up for disappointment; I came to this thread to learn never to say never, and it's too late to turn back now.

Still, I have no doubt Sm4sh will be the most successful game Sakurai has ever developed, Ridley or not.

@ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee That's...not bad. Replace Vaatti with Impa, and you got it!
I mean I'm not reall here to be a detractor or por-ridley guy, I don't really care about his inclusion either way, it's just they "hype" arugment just always rubbed me the wrong way. Both sides of this fight get a little heated sometimes, I fall in the middle, I don't think he's gonna be in, nor do I particularly want him (mostly because of apathy about the character, nothing against you guys), just when I see that argument I like to simply post an alternate perspective on it

Chase

Smash Ace
Hey, guys! I wrote a trailer for Ridley and many more of our villains in the Newcomer Trailer thread, so check it out if you want.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Here's to another potd week. I would give a toast but we don't have any water for it. . .

-------------
dam is it gonna suck when we find out ridley is a boss......the bigger the dream, the harder the fall
Shhh..... ssshhhh.....
And that's why I ask, why would Sakurai show Ridley (shadow) if he wasn't complete?
Because it was just his shadow and his tail.
It's OK when they're not finished if little-to-no actual visibility is shown, all we saw was a few frames of his tail and his jerky shadow.
Also "Have you ever developed a game?" :troll:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'd call it more coincidental so far, personally. The major franchises bring the biggest hype; they're almost always what people look forward to seeing expanded when it comes to reps, so naturally Sakurai would show those franchises off in the very first trailer. Doesn't mean it guarantees them newcomers. Those are some of Nintendo's biggest franchises right now (wouldn't have Kid Icarus on there, maybe swap with Fire Emblem, but this IS Sakurai we're talking about). I believe more in the Smash Direct Trophy Quiz :p
See, that's the problem. You could say exactly that about the Trophy Quiz.

It could just be a coincidence that we've gotten Robin and Palutena (?). Those four franchies in the TQ are what fans want expanded in terms of reps (thus why he showed them off in a Smash-centric Direct). Doesn't guarantee those four franchises newcomers, either. Those four are huge franchises within the recent years. Other M, Uprising, Awakening, and Skyward Sword were all highly controversial/acclaimed games.

But hey, that's just your opinion and we all can have one. I'm not saying I believe more in what I posted (I'm not sure why I wrote that, though. I haven't slept well all week, and I'm very tired), it's just a pattern I noticed. Just like how the Trophy Quiz was a pattern that was noticed by someone. Nothing is fact, it's all just theories before release.

D

Deleted member

WELL DUGHH boss as in like badass, as in going to be such a cool
character ;)
Nice save. You would've had people all over you had you let it stay. ;)
Yeah 1 more minute and I would've filled him with Splounge water and shipped him with Ridley, and apparently no one likes drinking the water or being shipped with Ridley, except me.

@ PirateHaxx PirateHaxx you better sleep with your doors locked, lest you wake up with Splounge Water IVs in your arms and an "approved" stamp on your forehead.

I'll be watching you... ;)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Yeah 1 more minute and I would've filled him with Splounge water and shipped him with Ridley, and apparently no one likes drinking the water or being shipped with Ridley, except me.

@ PirateHaxx PirateHaxx you better sleep with your doors locked, lest you wake up with Splounge Water IVs in your arms and an "approved" stamp on your forehead.

I'll be watching you... ;)
Ghirahim x Ridley x dixie kong confirmed

Top Bottom