• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I think we should make a list with every person who was active in this thread.

That way we have a nice reminder of everyone regardless if he's playable or not. :)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
This is kind of irrelevant to the current "serious" topics that are nearly always discussed here, but what do my fellow Ridley supporters think of the Ridley icons in my sig? I'm bad at Paint editing, so this is what I made. Is it okay?
Its a great idea though i think it should be a bit bigger as the text makes it a bit hard to see ridley..

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm getting way too hyped for a potential next announcement right now. Sakurai is really getting what I would assume to be last couple of newcomer trailers down to the wire before revealing what they are to the public. Less than a month and this wonderful train ride of roster debate is over, hard to believe, but I'm certainly ready for it!

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Anybody else have lots of fun arguing against detractors on YouTube? It's the best thing in the world to see them fail to have any valid reason for why he's not playable.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Anybody else have lots of fun arguing against detractors on YouTube? It's the best thing in the world to see them fail to have any valid reason for why he's not playable.
HE'S 4 BIG! (Get it.. because of Smash 4 ok I leave now)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair; as supporters, we fail to discern any objective reasons that indicate that he is playable as well.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I don't have the self-esteem to take on a detractor. I get exposed to any negative stuff about Ridley, and I all of a sudden become stressed & doubtful. I can already feel myself turning again the closer we get to the 20th. The next character reveal that isn't Ridley will very likely have me lose all hope. :(

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
To be fair; as supporters, we fail to discern any objective reasons that indicate that he is playable as well.
Yeah, but there's more reasons that he would playable rather than not playable since there is a counter for every single detractor's argument.

I think we should make a list with every person who was active in this thread.

That way we have a nice reminder of everyone regardless if he's playable or not. :)
That would be pretty cool but might be a bit hard to compose.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
And yet we're still here. Didn't I remember you saying before that you 100% believe that he is playable? :denzel:

Morbi

Scavenger
And yet we're still here. Didn't I remember you saying before that you 100% believe that he is playable? :denzel:
Indeed, I still feel the same way as I will interpret logical contradictions as a reason for playabilty regardless of any implications; however, my point is that we have to analyze the evidence under these circumstances and come to a conclusion, there are no right or wrong answers until the roster is revealed. So when the user stated, "It's the best thing in the world to see them fail to have any valid reason for why he's not playable." I thought that it was extremely awkward as there are no "valid" reasons for why he is playable either. Basically, I had to point out that the post was utterly pretentious.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The villain trailer should show all the villains having a sleep over and in their pajamas! !! :3
That's kinda scary coming from you. lol

RIDLEYSUS! Ridley's head is giant! That is also why i prefer Roidley.

I found something - Roidley has unused attacks/animations. One of them is biting Samus while he is holding her either from left or right. There is other things like headbutt (while holding Samus), second grab attempt after failed 1st one, roar while holding Samus, etc. Some of them are messed up (shoulders only). Also, Dogley/Adolescent Ridley can use his tail like a drill. What do you think - is it exclusive to Dogley or Roidley could use that too?
Don't see why Roidley wouldn't be able to do the same thing with his tail that his previous stage did, theoretically. A drill move though? *insert Meta Knight reference here* Can't believe we never thought of him doing that sort of thing with his tail before, although such an attack would've made the adolescent Ridley fight even more of a pain than it already was.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Just my 2 cents: IF Ridley would be a Boss or a stage hazard in Smash Bros U, we would have known so MONTHS ago! If he isn't playable and we learn about it in the next few weeks, many people will be enraged, dissapointed and pissed off. Why not get that "out of the way" while the game is still months away? It would be a stupid decision through and through.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
That's kinda scary coming from you. lol

Don't see why Roidley wouldn't be able to do the same thing with his tail that his previous stage did, theoretically. A drill move though? *insert Meta Knight reference here* Can't believe we never thought of him doing that sort of thing with his tail before, although such an attack would've made the adolescent Ridley fight even more of a pain than it already was.
A drill tail, huh?
Guess what kind of shades I'm going to give Roidley next.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Maybe because none of us really noticed adolescent Ridley spinning his tail like that (or those are unused animations, who knows) or because that is Roidley's previous stage.
It would be better, however. And if he could do same thing in Roidley fight in the similar way.

I will post animation of it just for those who spent enough time with Dogley. I want to know does he uses that or it is unused attack.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
There is some question of how small would Ridley have to be for that tail to not be totally overpowering and taking up a lot of space

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Quick question to you Ridley supporters: how would you react if Little Birdie was shown as an assist trophy?
YES YES! I really want to see that thing as something like that. Especially if it would eat someone's face.
There is some question of how small would Ridley have to be for that tail to not be totally overpowering and taking up a lot of space
Palutena and her long range of attacks. Happy now? Ridley's tail is still not that wide. It is thin and can only extend and not too much. So, it will have less range than Palutena and that tail won't be wider than Ike's sword since its Other M Ridley. While not used, he could hold it like Charizard does. And it will leave him vulnerable while he is attacking and since he will be large target, it will balance it out. So, it won't be an issue.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Quick question to you Ridley supporters: how would you react if Little Birdie was shown as an assist trophy?
I would actually find it hilarious. I'd personally like it better if he were just a trophy, but there really isn't anything getting in the way of his chances.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
MUGEN AND Smash has no creative restraints.
Smash has restraints. There are certain things Sakurai would never do, and certain qualities he looks for in potential fighters, though to be fair those doors are blown wider every installment.

MUGEN, being entirely powered by the community, is limited only by the game engine's restrictions.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Smash has restraints. There are certain things Sakurai would never do, and certain qualities he looks for in potential fighters, though to be fair those doors are blown wider every installment.

MUGEN, being entirely powered by the community, is limited only by the game engine's restrictions.
That is why i said that "as long as it resembles character added, they can do whatever they want if they have not enough stuff to work with". Look at what happened to Pit (redesigned), Captain Falcon (attacks that are absolutely not canonical), Mewtwo (weak, light-weighted and small compared to what he is) and, ROB (i never saw ROB toy/whatever do such things). MUGEN is less limited. It is limited by game engine while Smash is limited by canon, but not as much as MUGEN is by its game engine. Its limited only by basic things like appearance (not size of course, it has been ignored a lot, even for stages and its parts like Dialga and Palkia) and abilities.

Here is one of those "tail drilling" animations:

I really like his and Roidley animations in that game. They look so good. Animations used in that Direct are nothing compared to that. By the way, i have Roidley's flying animation. Could someone compare it to flying animation from Direct?

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The tail wouldn't have to remain "canon size" either, its length can be worked on independently of the character's actual size.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Aesthetic restraints are just one factor. There is also some common sense that needs to be adhered to for the sake of gameplay and balance, and I think Ridley's inherent qualities would impede on that.

Just my 2 cents: IF Ridley would be a Boss or a stage hazard in Smash Bros U, we would have known so MONTHS ago! If he isn't playable and we learn about it in the next few weeks, many people will be enraged, dissapod and pissed off. Why not get that "out of the way" while the game is still months away? It would be a stupid decision through and through.
This is important, and probably the biggest argument that Ridley might be in. If Ridley really is a stage boss, you'd think Sakurai would have eventually stopped teasing us and pulled up the curtain to just to let Ridley supporters come to terms with the situation early on.

Giving the bad news right before release, or letting people buy the game in ignorance? Bad, bad, BAD P.R.

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I think that we're going to get another trailer next Friday, nothing Ridley related will be shown on the Pyrosphere anniversary (20th), and that K. Rool will be announced. Ridley will be a secret character, unlocked by going on a path as Samus in classic mode that brings you to the Pyrosphere or another Metroid level, as I'm not sure the Pyrosphere is actually on the 3ds version. After beating whomever is there, a cinematic will show Samus starting to walk away when Ridley spirals out of the gaping lava hole, landing on a platform and then you battle him there. As normal, if you win, you unlock him. My two cents anyways.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
It's a fighting game, not Calvinball.
More to the point: It is a CARTOON fighting game, whose story (such as it is) is based around a SMALL CHILD playing with TOYS. It therefore has more in common with Calvinball than with any other fighting game. Your argument is therefore invalid. Move along.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is important, and probably the biggest argument that Ridley might be in. If Ridley really is a stage boss, you'd think Sakurai would have eventually stopped teasing us and pulled up the curtain to just to let Ridley supporters come to terms with the situation early on.

Giving the bad news right before release, or letting people buy the game in ignorance? Bad, bad, BAD P.R.
Both are bad ideas. We will be more disappointed now than if we would know Ridley's role during that direct. Like Waluigi, Dillon, Dark Samus, etc. supporters did. So, now Sakurai should either really disappoint us by revealing nothing new after 1 year of no clear information on Ridley or make us happy by revealing Ridley's role as a playable character, nothing between that. It won't be ignored no matter what will happen in case Ridley is a boss, but was teased (or at least his role wasn't revealed) anyway even though its as new as playable Mario. It just won't lead to anything other than disappointment if you leave it unknown for so long, giving someone hope for nothing.

This flying animation looks like better version of that animation used in April Direct. Anyone agrees with that?

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
More to the point: It is a CARTOON fighting game, whose story (such as it is) is based around a SMALL CHILD playing with TOYS. It therefore has more in common with Calvinball than with any other fighting game. Your argument is therefore invalid. Move along.
You're coming at it from some kind of lore perspective, but what I'm arguing is that all games need self-imposed limitations to function well as whatever type of game they're trying to be. For instance, imagine if Ridley was in Smash Bros at his canon size. Is it feasible? Sure. Would it be good for the health of Smash's gameplay, and fit in with established gameplay boundaries? No. That's why he was a boss in Brawl.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I was going to say Ridley de-confirmed
Then I remembered Snake.
(This is a joke btw)

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
For instance, imagine if Ridley was in Smash Bros at his canon size. Is it feasible? Sure. Would it be good for the health of Smash's gameplay, and fit in with established gameplay boundaries? Yes.
Fixed that for you. Try to imagine Donkey Kong with wings, it is very literally the same proportions.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You're coming at it from some kind of lore perspective, but what I'm arguing is that all games need self-imposed limitations to function well as whatever type of game they're trying to be. For instance, imagine if Ridley was in Smash Bros at his canon size. Is it feasible? Sure. Would it be good for the health of Smash's gameplay, and fit in with established gameplay boundaries? No. That's why he was a boss in Brawl.
That is not exactly why he is a boss. Unless you meant that he is large in that game, so, he is a boss. Most likely they needed iconic Nintendo villains for that mode, which was given too much attention by the way since it is main reason why this game loads for so long. Size never was an issue. They didn't even tried to make him playable though. He originally was going to be an ASSIST TROPHY by the way.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Both are bad ideas. We will be more disappointed now than if we would know Ridley's role during that direct. Like Waluigi, Dillon, Dark Samus, etc. supporters did. So, now Sakurai should either really disappoint us by revealing nothing new after 1 year of no clear information on Ridley or make us happy by revealing Ridley's role as a playable character, nothing between that. It won't be ignored no matter what will happen in case Ridley is a boss, but was teased (or at least his role wasn't revealed) anyway even though its as new as playable Mario. It just won't lead to anything other than disappointment if you leave it unknown for so long, giving someone hope for nothing.

This flying animation looks like better version of that animation used in April Direct. Anyone agrees with that?
Just for comparison.
http://www.gfycat.com/SinfulActualGoldenretriever

how do i embed gfycat

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

That'd explain the wing's rather janky movement.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if the animation of Smash Ridley is nearly the same as Other M Ridley, what does that mean for his chances? Could that mean that they're just borrowing animation from Other M for a stage hazard Ridley, or is this just one of those references to the original games that Sakurai loves to give characters?

Top Bottom