• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one that thinks we should be looking forward to Gamescom? I mean. Gamescom is HUGE. And it starts on the 14th.
13th for behind the doors type of stuff for businesses and news media.

Edit: One day after corocoro's info release on Smash 3DS...

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
My heart man, the suspense is killing me dawg.

And my brawl mains haven't even been confirmed yet.

I need my jiggs dawg, as well as an air based Ridley @ IsmaR IsmaR :( :( :(.
I feel ya', man. We gotta endure the pain from teasing, the detractors, and Meta Knight STILL hasn't been confirmed! Unless Sakurai is making his bad*** child a secret unlockable, then I worry for my Brawl main. :(

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Eyy, @ SchAlternate SchAlternate , can I ask a favor?

You know that K. Rool n' Ridley size comparison you have? Could you also compare Bowser and Ganondorf, see if it bears fruit?

sizley3.png

BiS Bowser is about the same height as Bowser, perhaps a little taller. Also, wow, Ganondorf being as tall as Ridley...

Last edited:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I am nearly 100% certain we're not getting anything too interesting for tomorrow's PotD. Certainly not anything Ridley related.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Well K Rool is my number one pick but us villain supporters gotta stick together!!

Let Ridley eviscerate Sammus as Rool decapitates DK

D

Deleted member

Of whom? Bowser?
Both Bowser and Ridley.

While BiS Bowser isn't that much of a difference (especially since I believe that's his natural posture in the game) Ridley's not exactly standing up in a neutral position to analyze his height. At the very least, he's practically in a sitting/squatting position by how his legs are bent.

Not trying to add fuel to the "Ridley is too big" fire. Just that he's actually much "taller" than what the sprite lets on.

Last edited by a moderator:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ah, I see. Although, Ridley never really stands upright in any of his appearances, and that's basically his neutral stance in the game as well, so I guess that means something.

Also, he's got a disproportionately large head in Super Metroid, which could also give the impression that he's much smaller than what he appears to be. Sorta.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
My first Metroid game was Super Metroid. Then came Fusion. Then Prime. So understand that it is not out of nostalgia for my first Ridley or my first Metroid game that I say this:

Metroid Prime's Meta-Ridley was the best Ridley in the series. In fact, the Space Pirates on the whole were far better in Prime than they were any other game in the series.

Prime was the game that made the Space Pirates behave the way they were always supposed to. Not just mere mindless Koopa Troopas with lobster-claw guns, but thinking, planning entities.

A lot of people will say "oh, that's just because of the Pirate Logs, and there's no way to get those on the Super Nintendo". But that's not true. I'm willing to accept the manual as the only way to work that sort of story element into the minimalistic media of a SNES cartridge. I have been gaming on PCs for almost as far as my memory stretches, I'm well used to games that use manuals as their primary method of storytelling. But it goes beyond that.

Look at the Space Pirates in Super Metroid. What can you tell me about them. They're lobster guys, and they like to wander caves and shoot at Samus. Fantastic.

Now look at the Space Pirates in Metroid Prime. What can you tell me about these guys? Well, we find them in laboratories, power stations, scouting outposts, starships. They're clearly more organized and more intelligent, even without the cutscenes fleshing them out.

We know they could have built levels like that in Super Metroid. Ceres station is clearly a giant research lab, so they can make that sort of environment. So why are so many Space Pirates just wandering random caves and empty hallways? These are the guys who are going to destroy the Galactic Federation? Yeah, right.

Ridley is much the same way. We're told he's the hyper intelligent leader of the Space Pirates, but we don't actually get to see it. Until Prime.

Meta Ridley is what Ridley always should have been. It doesn't matter how strong you are, how fast you are. When you're the leader of a spacefaring culture that is essentially at war with every species it meets, you have no excuse to go into battle barehanded. Ridley essentially took a knife to a gun fight when he went up against Samus. Now, admittedly, he was incredibly powerful, and he did put up a good fight. But he still got wasted because he was trying to fistfight someone who had a gun that can shoot through walls.

So what does he do? He says "I'm a giant dragon, I can carry some weight. I'm going to put some frelling armor on". Brilliant. He then adds cybernetics to make himself stronger, enhancers to his plasma breath. He outfits himself fully for war, using the incredible technology the Space Pirates have at their disposal. And it's AWESOME.

Sure, he still loses, but it just makes so much more sense. He powered through so much, his body's natural resilience and tail that can apparently cut through diamond letting him plow through most situations with personal strength, but when he was overcome, he sat down and changed. That's using that brilliant mind. That's how I always imagined Ridley acting.

So of all the Ridley incarnations, Meta Ridley is my favorite. And Metroid Prime is my favorite Metroid game, not just because it's the best first person game ever created, not just because it's the best translation of core gameplay experience across different mechanical systems ever seen, but because it breathed life into the world of Metroid in a way that no other game before it had.

I hope we get Meta Ridley as an alt costume. Ridley's coming to Smash for war. He'd better come prepared for it.
I love this comment. it sums up my exact feelings as far as the space pirates/Ridley go.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Aw....don't cry Soulless! =u= being called an hypocrite really got into my nerves....come on! give the Assassin a hug!
View attachment 20607
It won't hurt...too much!

xD And glad that you think that way about the ship I created...also...I checked the shipping thread...and I will never check it again in my life...
i only called you that as a joke, or did the smiley not make that clear?

i just found it funny that you get so upset over others doing shipping stuff when you apparently did it, too... what else would you call someone like that?

anyway, sorry if you were upset by it, but since you ship, too... that means i can put ridley and jigglypuff together.

RIDLEYPUFF.

oh, and someone get on that task of sending the palette swap images to isma with proper credit, so we can get that little problem out of the way... that is if it hasnt been done yet, i skipped alot of posts.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My first Metroid game was Super Metroid. Then came Fusion. Then Prime. So understand that it is not out of nostalgia for my first Ridley or my first Metroid game that I say this:

Metroid Prime's Meta-Ridley was the best Ridley in the series. In fact, the Space Pirates on the whole were far better in Prime than they were any other game in the series.

Prime was the game that made the Space Pirates behave the way they were always supposed to. Not just mere mindless Koopa Troopas with lobster-claw guns, but thinking, planning entities.

A lot of people will say "oh, that's just because of the Pirate Logs, and there's no way to get those on the Super Nintendo". But that's not true. I'm willing to accept the manual as the only way to work that sort of story element into the minimalistic media of a SNES cartridge. I have been gaming on PCs for almost as far as my memory stretches, I'm well used to games that use manuals as their primary method of storytelling. But it goes beyond that.

Look at the Space Pirates in Super Metroid. What can you tell me about them. They're lobster guys, and they like to wander caves and shoot at Samus. Fantastic.

Now look at the Space Pirates in Metroid Prime. What can you tell me about these guys? Well, we find them in laboratories, power stations, scouting outposts, starships. They're clearly more organized and more intelligent, even without the cutscenes fleshing them out.

We know they could have built levels like that in Super Metroid. Ceres station is clearly a giant research lab, so they can make that sort of environment. So why are so many Space Pirates just wandering random caves and empty hallways? These are the guys who are going to destroy the Galactic Federation? Yeah, right.

Ridley is much the same way. We're told he's the hyper intelligent leader of the Space Pirates, but we don't actually get to see it. Until Prime.

Meta Ridley is what Ridley always should have been. It doesn't matter how strong you are, how fast you are. When you're the leader of a spacefaring culture that is essentially at war with every species it meets, you have no excuse to go into battle barehanded. Ridley essentially took a knife to a gun fight when he went up against Samus. Now, admittedly, he was incredibly powerful, and he did put up a good fight. But he still got wasted because he was trying to fistfight someone who had a gun that can shoot through walls.

So what does he do? He says "I'm a giant dragon, I can carry some weight. I'm going to put some frelling armor on". Brilliant. He then adds cybernetics to make himself stronger, enhancers to his plasma breath. He outfits himself fully for war, using the incredible technology the Space Pirates have at their disposal. And it's AWESOME.

Sure, he still loses, but it just makes so much more sense. He powered through so much, his body's natural resilience and tail that can apparently cut through diamond letting him plow through most situations with personal strength, but when he was overcome, he sat down and changed. That's using that brilliant mind. That's how I always imagined Ridley acting.

So of all the Ridley incarnations, Meta Ridley is my favorite. And Metroid Prime is my favorite Metroid game, not just because it's the best first person game ever created, not just because it's the best translation of core gameplay experience across different mechanical systems ever seen, but because it breathed life into the world of Metroid in a way that no other game before it had.

I hope we get Meta Ridley as an alt costume. Ridley's coming to Smash for war. He'd better come prepared for it.
Can I like... hug you? That post pretty much sums up why the Prime style pirates and Ridley have always been my favorite incarnations for the most part, maybe not counting some of their weirder designs in Corruption, but yeah.

Well 28 years ago on this day ridley was born
Always found it funny to think how I'm just as old as Ridley when well... When you count the year the original Metroid was released in America instead of Japan. Otherwise though he's just one year older than me ironically enough. D: If any supporter here is currently 28 then I salute you for.. trivial reasons.

D

Deleted member

It always annoys me when people want K Rool but think Ridley is too big especially when this chart shows that K Rool is BIGGER than Rids (though in the end having both would be rad)
As I pointed out earlier, Ridley's actually much taller than the sprite lets on; he's not standing up.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It always annoys me when people want K Rool but think Ridley is too big especially when this chart shows that K Rool is BIGGER than Rids (though in the end having both would be rad)
I doubt any K. Rool fan would have said something like that.
Anybody who's played this would never say something like that.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Happy birthday metroid. Here's to Ridley in ssb4 and a hopefully many more years to come.

Not that you care but that took approx. 45 minutes. I'm not too good at Samus yet.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I would rather him keep his Twilight Princess design. Or change it to Wind Waker Ganondorf. Both look far better than Demisedorf IMO (who does looks cool).
Since Sm4sh Link is a mix between Skyward Sword & Twilight Princess, I'd love to see Sm4sh Ganondorf be a mix of Twilight Princess & W.W./Hyrule Warriors!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
i only called you that as a joke, or did the smiley not make that clear?

i just found it funny that you get so upset over others doing shipping stuff when you apparently did it, too... what else would you call someone like that?

anyway, sorry if you were upset by it, but since you ship, too... that means i can put ridley and jigglypuff together.

RIDLEYPUFF.
Even if it was a joke, I didn't find it funny (yeah...SOMETIMES I don't have sense of humor.) especially with things like that.

Ha, and who says I'm actually mad? I do that for fun, it's not like I actually want to beat up @The Soulless One like this everytime he comes out with a Ridley ship that supposedly "annoys" me:

And yes you can do that....just let me have my ship and my fun.

Last edited:

Dragalon

Smash Cadet
As I pointed out earlier, Ridley's actually much taller than the sprite lets on; he's not standing up.
That is super true, though Ridley usually is hunched over when ever he fights

I doubt any K. Rool fan would have said something like that.
Anybody who's played this would never say something like that.
Alas I've heard if more times than I should have...
and Holy Crap K Rool is even bigger than i remember from that game

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oi, Golden. Remember that thing about K Rool's size in Mario Sluggers being comparable to that of DKC's Diddy rather than DKC's Donkey Kong? Well...

sizley4.png

The small K Rool's size is relative to Smash Diddy's height and the big one with Smash DK's.

So yeah, K Rool has been downsized in that game. Considerably.

(Also the small one's as big as a crouching Ridley, go figure)

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Can Ridley even stand up straight without having to be hit in the face? I think he might need the bowser treatment soon. His posture is getting out of hand.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sprites are sprites, but I don't think it really matters how big Ridley is extended out since he's in that position the majority of the time.

I also think it's easier to see Ganondorf being on par with him if you think of the Melee rendition of him. (assuming that's meant to be SM size)

Either way, I say if Bowser can be playable, all the big villains deserve to be.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So much for seeing Ridley soon...

I'd hate it if they dragged it out until the 3DS release.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I could do that, though it's a little daunting searching back in the 1400+ pages for a few specific posts.

If anyone can PM me them, I'd gladly include them (so long as I knew who to give credit to, of course)

This is the set I made a while back, but I made some updates. I figured I may as well just post it again.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Hey could we still get a trailer or is it gurantee not going to happen (for today)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oi, Golden. Remember that thing about K Rool's size in Mario Sluggers being comparable to that of DKC's Diddy rather than DKC's Donkey Kong? Well...

View attachment 20624
The small K Rool's size is relative to Smash Diddy's height and the big one with Smash DK's.

So yeah, K Rool has been downsized in that game. Considerably.

(Also the small one's as big as a crouching Ridley, go figure)
Interesting....

Though I don't remember when Mario Sluggers got brought up, to be honest. *scratches head*
I know I mentioned that K. Rool in DKC could be the accurate size difference between Diddy and him while DK was the one who was off-model, though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Hey could we still get a trailer or is it gurantee not going to happen
We'll get one. I don't think there's a chance there's not at least one trailer left. And I would not at all be surprised to get a Smash Direct in the next week or two. Let alone a trailer in the standard Direct.

Morbi

Scavenger
How long must we wait....

Longer.

Hey could we still get a trailer or is it gurantee not going to happen
During the general Direct, perhaps.

Wait a pokemon? Wow -_- give cred to metroid for once...
Are you insinuating that you want Ridley to be a Pokeball summon? That joke got old months ago.

No Ridley POTD for Metroid Anniversary. Surprise, surprise.
I was surprised.

Top Bottom