• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Usual, meaning when Bowser is seen as large, which as I've pointed out is when he's hoarding power or using magic. Otherwise he's smaller than that comparison.
so.... when you battle him in the new super mario bros. games before kamek or the koopalings use their magics, he's abusing his power? of what? star coins? muscle?

not to mention super mario WORLD where we pretty much know his size, and it's a lot bigger than mario. but kamek isn't in that game. neither are stars. it's just and old fasioned kidnapping. explain why he's big.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My whole perspective on the Bowser to Ridley comparison is that they're just images created for a video game. Their sizes vary in different games, therefore their sizes can be whatever Sakurai decides and what works. Plain and simple. Whether you consider Ridley's NES sprite size applicable or not, he WAS that size at one point or another.

Also, covering a point =/= dismembering it and saying why it's wrong

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Tell that to them too.
1.They weren't shallow.
2. He's not trolling. At all.

Bowser did not use magic in Galaxy.

Even then, in Galaxy 2, when he's had the power of the Grand Stars beaten out of him, he's still big enough to swallow a Grand Star, which is much bigger than Mario. He is exactly the same size as in Galaxy one as when he swallows the Grand Star. Furthermore, in the ending of Galaxy, after Rosalina gets her power stars back, he's still freaking huge.

He doesn't use magic in that game, and he COULDN'T of had the power of the stars at that point. Rosalina had them back. Bowser had none.

Try again.
His size changes based on either power stars, magic, or both. I can't confirm this but I believe he has a semi-permanent large size when not particularly using stars or magic at a time, but has it fixed that way due to past magic. He's in cahoots with the Kam Koopas all the time and they're constantly using size-altering magic on him and many other things. Either way, Bowser changes size frequently, with plot driving it, and Ridley doesn't.

Golden made two good points in the post.
The X virus version of Ridley being inaccurate. That is true.
I did not know Sakurai looked to the anime so much for influences; the trophies show that and I did already say that they use anime's voices for Pokemon as an exception, however Game Freak is very particular about sticking to the game canon, so I wouldn't doubt that has more sway. Pichu hurting himself is indicated by the games as well:
"It is unskilled at storing electric power. Any kind of shock causes it to discharge energy spontaneously."
"The electric sacs in its cheeks are small. If even a little electricity leaks, it becomes shocked."

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I've never seen such detailed discussions of Bowser's size in my life. I'm pretty sure they don't care about rigorously keeping his size consistent and only making large changes when it's justified by magic.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen such detailed discussions of Bowser's size in my life. I'm pretty sure they don't care about rigorously keeping his size consistent and only making large changes when it's justified by magic.
Exactly. Bowser has "a wizard did it" as an excuse for his size changes. For Ridley, it's not as easy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My whole perspective on the Bowser to Ridley comparison is that they're just images created for a video game. Their sizes vary in different games, therefore their sizes can be whatever Sakurai decides and what works. Plain and simple. Whether you consider Ridley's NES sprite size applicable or not, he WAS that size at one point or another.

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
Villains almost always outsize heroes in video games examples include Ganon and Link, Ridley and Samus, and Bowser and Mario to name a few.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tell that to them too.

His size changes based on either power stars, magic, or both. I can't confirm this but I believe he has a semi-permanent large size when not particularly using stars or magic at a time, but has it fixed that way due to past magic. He's in cahoots with the Kam Koopas all the time and they're constantly using size-altering magic on him and many other things. Either way, Bowser changes size frequently, with plot driving it, and Ridley doesn't.

Golden made two good points in the post.
The X virus version of Ridley being inaccurate. That is true.
I did not know Sakurai looked to the anime so much for influences; the trophies show that and I did already say that they use anime's voices for Pokemon as an exception, however Game Freak is very particular about sticking to the game canon, so I wouldn't doubt that has more sway. Pichu hurting himself is indicated by the games as well:
"It is unskilled at storing electric power. Any kind of shock causes it to discharge energy spontaneously."
"The electric sacs in its cheeks are small. If even a little electricity leaks, it becomes shocked."

You just said that you can't confirm your theory. K. Let's throw it away then.

Either way, the point was that Bowser changes size frequently.
In some canon games, he's freaking huge. In some others, he's not.
They can make him work in Smash.

The same points also apply to Ridley.

Your second quote is from Black and White. Which was WAAAAAAAY after Melee.

Your first quote is from Crystal which doesn't actually say that Pichu hurts himself. None of his pre-Melee Pokedex entries do.

Gamefreak doesn't care about game canon. If they did, the Pokemon would use their in game cries, Mewtwo and Lucario would not talk and Pikachu would be dwarfed by Charizard.

Exactly. Bowser has "a wizard did it" as an excuse for his size changes. For Ridley, it's not as easy.
Science did it.

Ever heard of a shrink ray?

Besides, he was saying that they don't care about reasons. Not the opposite.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Your first quote is from Crystal which doesn't actually say that Pichu hurts himself. None of his pre-Melee Pokedex entries do.

Gamefreak doesn't care about game canon. If they did, the Pokemon would use their in game cries, Mewtwo and Lucario would not talk and Pikachu would be dwarfed by Charizard.

Science did it.

Ever heard of a shrink ray?

Besides, he was saying that they don't care about reasons. Not the opposite.
More like science did it, ever hear of Ridley clones?

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice

No, it doesn't. My central point in comparing Bowser to Ridley is that you can't apply these same excuses to Ridley. They can make him work in Smash because he's closer to in scale and power to the other characters. It was still a stretch and he ended up being one of the heaviest, slowest characters in the series. Ridley would have to be stretched way further and he doesn't even have excuses for his size changes like Bowser does. Seeing him on the field alongside the others is not nearly as believable as Bowser.

Game Freak does maintain a distinct separation from anime and manga. This is why we have "Pokemon Trainer" instead of Ash, and why they continue to acknowledge the original characters as Red and Blue along with their designs, and NOT as Ash and Gary (or even the manga versions where they are still called Red and Blue). This carried over to Smash, showing they are keeping to game canon in some of the most important ways.
More like science did it, ever hear of Ridley clones?
Which I've said about three times now is probably the only excuse they could possibly use for him being playable. Except he'd be a small, crippled version of the original Ridley.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think you read that as the opposite of what was intended.

They DON'T care about changing his size between games and not offering a justification. They DON'T seem to care that much about keeping his size consistent from game to game, aside from the fact that he should be significantly larger than Mario.

Only when you SEE him transform does it tend to be justified by magic or the like.

Also I'm not sure why you keep talking about things being "believable." What do you mean by that exactly? Because there's not a lot about Smash that's believable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No, it doesn't. My central point in comparing Bowser to Ridley is that you can't apply these same excuses to Ridley. They can make him work in Smash because he's closer to in scale and power to the other characters. It was still a stretch and he ended up being one of the heaviest, slowest characters in the series. Ridley would have to be stretched way further and he doesn't even have excuses for his size changes like Bowser does. Seeing him on the field alongside the others is not nearly as believable as Bowser.

Game Freak does maintain a distinct separation from anime and manga. This is why we have "Pokemon Trainer" instead of Ash, and why they continue to acknowledge the original characters as Red and Blue along with their designs, and NOT as Ash and Gary (or even the manga versions where they are still called Red and Blue). This carried over to Smash, showing they are keeping to game canon in some of the most important ways.
To the first paragraph, explain Mewtwo then as far as the strength of other characters. Mewtwo would literally destroy everyone with his actual power outside of Smash.

Also, him being cloned smaller is a perfect excuse for him to be smaller in Smash Bros.

The seperation isn't that big of a deal though, considering both aspects of Pokemon have been represented in Smash regardless.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
@MrLange
I understand that you love Ridley being big, but why do you need a canonical reason for the size change? Especially for a spin-off game like smash?

@Reznor
I'd be totally fine with meta-Ridley, he's pretty much the 2nd most iconic form whenever I've asked friends. Even if he's really easy at the end of Metroid Prime (and has a tendency to go "hey look at my pretty flight pattern" while outside of your firing range.... At least he becomes more intidimadating on the ground)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Which I've said about three times now is the only excuse they could possibly use for him being playable. Except he'd be a small, crippled version of the original Ridley.
FREAKING SCIENCE MAN!1111eleven
You find Bowser's resizing a stretch? Believable to you maybe, but not to everyone else. Heck the smash team, had him at a small sixe in Melee.

They couldn't use Ash, and the manga version of Red and Blue because they did not originate in a video game. That doesn't mean that the anime influeneces things everything. Heck Sakurai just went on record stating that he picked Pokemon by what movies were hot.

You mean like :mewtwomelee: :ganondorf: :charizard: :samus2: :sonic: :ness2: :lucas:? They should be able to destroy most everyone on the roster, yet they got in as "crippled" versions of themselves. Let me tell you something.

NO ONE CARED THAT THEY WEREN'T AS POWERFUL AS THEIR ORIGINAL APPEARANCES. People were just happy to play as their favorite characters.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
FREAKING SCIENCE MAN!1111eleven
You find Bowser's resizing a stretch? Believable to you maybe, but not to everyone else. Heck the smash team, had him at a small sixe in Melee.

They couldn't use Ash, and the manga version of Red and Blue because they did not originate in a video game. That doesn't mean that the anime influeneces things everything. Heck Sakurai just went on record stating that he picked Pokemon by what movies were hot.

You mean like :mewtwomelee: :ganondorf: :charizard: :samus2: :sonic: :ness2: :lucas:? They should be able to destroy most everyone on the roster, yet they got in as "crippled" versions of themselves. Let me tell you something.

NO ONE CARED THAT THEY WEREN'T AS POWERFUL AS THEIR ORIGINAL APPEARANCES.
Mewtwo and Ganondorf are the only ones I can agree with there, and to an extent Charizard and Samus. Most of the cast can take on Sonic, Ness, Lucas, and even Samus too. Mario has defeated demigods throughout his series, and he struggles even less with his common enemies than Ness and Lucas did (both of which were nearly destroyed by their final bosses). Link certainly is no stranger to fire breathing dragons, of which he's taken on much larger ones than Charizard, and even Kirby didn't have much trouble defeating Dynablade and Landia which are comparable to Charizard.
So you might want to rethink that list there.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mewtwo and Ganondorf are the only ones I can agree with there, and to an extent Charizard and Samus. Most of the cast can take on Sonic, Ness, Lucas, and even Samus too. Mario has defeated demigods throughout his series, and he struggles even less with his common enemies than Ness and Lucas did (both of which were nearly destroyed by their final bosses). Link certainly is no stranger to fire breathing dragons, of which he's taken on much larger ones than Charizard, and even Kirby didn't have much trouble defeating Dynablade and Landia which are comparable to Charizard.
So you might want to rethink that list there.
Ness and Lucas are psychic. They could **** your mind if they wanted to. Still more powerful than a good chunk of the cast.

Samus beats down Ridley, whom you think is all powerful. Plus she's a walking tank. That's more powerful than say...Yoshi or Jigglypuff.

Charizard is still less powerful than in canon. He can get beaten by an equally trained Ivysaur. How does that work?

Sonic runs at the speed of sound (and light in some canons) and beats gods on a regular basis. How was he not nerfed?

Regardless, if that's your rebuttal, I think you're done with the argument.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Ness and Lucas are psychic. They could **** your mind if they wanted to. Still more powerful than a good chunk of the cast.

Samus beats down Ridley, whom you think is all powerful. Plus she's a walking tank. That's more powerful than say...Yoshi or Jigglypuff.

Charizard is still less powerful than in canon. He can get beaten by an equally trained Ivysaur. How does that work?

Sonic runs at the speed of sound (and light in some canons) and beats gods on a regular basis. How was he not nerfed?

Regardless, if that's your rebuttal, I think you're done with the argument.
Ridley is powerful like other bosses such as Master Hand or Rayquaza, not "all powerful". He can certainly be bested by most of the roster, heroes who have taken on foes of similar power in their own worlds.

If Ness and Lucas can just do whatever they want because they're psychic, then the Mother games would have had no difficulty. They have very clear limits to their power. Some of the roster have fought psychic foes themselves. Snake: "Can he [Ness] read my mind?" Colonel "Not to my knowledge, no." Ness can still take damage from ordinary enemies in his own game, even die from them. He is far from an unstoppable force.
Charizard may be less powerful in Brawl, but even at regular power, a lot of the roster could take him on. Link has beaten many powerful dragons. Charizard may be tougher than those but I can still see Link beating him. If Link can, so can a lot of the other characters given their own feats.
Sonic has beaten gods. So has Mario. So has Link. So has Kirby. Samus sort of has. Ness sort of has. I don't get your point. Speed is his advantage, but like everyone else he has distinct limits. Physically he's not very strong, unlike Mario. In fact Mario has bested foes with extreme speed (ie Axem Rangers). Sonic has more abilities in Brawl than in his own games.
Yoshi has beaten very tough bosses, but yes comparably he is weak. Given what I've seen though I don't consider him suped up that much for Smash. He can fight alongside Mario very well. They didn't do much for Jigglypuff though who is still mostly a joke character. Her melee attacks are pathetic and she's KO'd fairly easily.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley is powerful like other bosses such as Master Hand or Rayquaza, not "all powerful". He can certainly be bested by most of the roster, heroes who have taken on foes of similar power in their own worlds.

If Ness and Lucas can just do whatever they want because they're psychic, then the Mother games would have had no difficulty. They have very clear limits to their power. Some of the roster have fought psychic foes themselves. Snake: "Can he [Ness] read my mind?" Colonel "Not to my knowledge, no." Ness can still take damage from ordinary enemies in his own game, even die from them. He is far from an unstoppable force.
Charizard may be less powerful in Brawl, but even at regular power, a lot of the roster could take him on. Link has beaten many powerful dragons. Charizard may be tougher but I can still see Link beating him. If Link can, so can a lot of the other characters given their own feats.
Sonic has beaten gods. So has Mario. So has Link. So has Kirby. Samus sort of has. Ness sort of has. I don't get your point. Speed is his advantage, but like everyone else he has distinct limits. Physically he's not very strong, unlike Wario. In fact Mario has bested foes with extreme speed (ie Axem Rangers). Sonic has even more abilities in Brawl than in his own games.
Yoshi has beaten very tough bosses, but yes comparably he is weak. They didn't do much for Jigglypuff though who is still mostly a joke character. Her melee attacks are pathetic and she's KO'd fairly easily.
@ Ridley Then there is no harm in "nerfing" him to playable status. He's nothing special.

@ Ness and Lucas Still more powerful than most of the roster, canoncially at least.

@ Charizard That's why I said "most"

Sonic is strong enough to break through solid metal, and Sonic has a LOT more abilities in his games than in Brawl. And the Axem Rangers weren't fast at all.

Jigglypuff stopped being a joke character after Melee.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
@ Ridley Then there is no harm in "nerfing" him to playable status. He's nothing special.

@ Ness and Lucas Still more powerful than most of the roster, canoncially at least.

@ Charizard That's why I said "most"

Sonic is strong enough to break through solid metal, and Sonic has a LOT more abilities in his games than in Brawl. And the Axem Rangers weren't fast at all.

Jigglypuff stopped being a joke character after Melee.
I haven't done a full analysis but given the enemies Ness and Lucas fight and how difficult those battles are for them, I don't consider them that much more powerful than the rest of the Smash roster. They have slightly slower to execute yet very strong PSI based moves in Smash, which seems like a proper adaptation. They didn't even have most of those offensive PSI moves in their games anyway. They did a lot of their fighting with physical weapons (bats and sticks) which suggests PSI moves are a boost, and have advantages (elemental, status) but they're not strong enough to obsolete physical combat. They also have a limited amount of PSI they can use in their own games as well, and this limit was removed in Smash.

A lot of the Smash roster can bust solid metal as well. Some require powerups to help them but even Sonic did (fire bracelet, SA2, the only way to break iron crates). Sonic's metal foes are also comparable in strength and defense to a lot of the foes most of the Smash roster have faced. And Sonic may be fast, but he has to make contact with his foes to do damage, and most of the Smash cast, especially Mario, have the skill and reflexes to fight back.
Sonic has a full arsenal of melee attacks, his regular jump moves, homing attack, two versions of the spindash, and can summon springs out of nowhere. If they included the boost power it may prove problematic for others, but would be impractical in the game with its speed and the size of the stages (as difficult to control as Wario Man's bike is). I'd say that's quite a bit more than he can do in his own games. Although in SA1 and SA2, he does have a similar amount of isolated maneuvers vs special moves in Smash, like light speed attack (takes forever to charge) and bounce attack.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Either way, I'm not going to argue about something as pointless as this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lol. I go to sleep, and wake up 9 hours later. And You guys are STILL arguing? :laugh:

Just leave it to Sakurai to make Ridley work. He can do it.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
even Kirby didn't have much trouble defeating Dynablade and Landia which are comparable to Charizard.
Note: Kirby is 8" tall. Dynablade is tiny compared to Charizard.

Also Jigglypuff's attacks aren't pathetic. Means :c

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
SO ANYWAY, I wonder if Ridley could have a sort of aerial grab. I wrote up one that was fairly complex and limiting, but maybe something more natural would work fine. I know the more competitive players would whine over balance, but they're probably imagining it as extremely unbalanced as it could be instead of thinking about how it would work realistically. I think obviously his air speed would be slowed down to make it feel like you're actually carrying a load, and of course characters would be able to break out of the grip as usual. I don't think you'd really run into the problem of him just grabbing and carrying people into blast zones all willy nilly. I guess the bigger question would be what the use of it would be, and how the rest of his moveset can make use of it as well. But maybe that's not as important as it simply being a fun and flashy option available.

Something as simple as that would make him stand out quite READILY. Fits him perfectly too.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Now that you mention that, since this Smash seems to be taking itself less seriously than Brawl, maybe Ridley actually could have his silly tail pogo thing, lol.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Is this argument really still happening? There's no way I'm going back and reading the last ten pages. I'm sure it's mostly all the same thing anyway.

SO ANYWAY, I wonder if Ridley could have a sort of aerial grab. I wrote up one that was fairly complex and limiting, but maybe something more natural would work fine. I know the more competitive players would whine over balance, but they're probably imagining it as extremely unbalanced as it could be instead of thinking about how it would work realistically. I think obviously his air speed would be slowed down to make it feel like you're actually carrying a load, and of course characters would be able to break out of the grip as usual. I don't think you'd really run into the problem of him just grabbing and carrying people into blast zones all willy nilly. I guess the bigger question would be what the use of it would be, and how the rest of his moveset can make use of it as well. But maybe that's not as important as it simply being a fun and flashy option available.

Something as simple as that would make him stand out quite READILY. Fits him perfectly too.
Loving this idea. Maybe it can be a bit easier to escape from to balance it. Or it can just be a little slower, since most characters will probably be at a disadvantage in the air anyway.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Good job, but once again that doesn't feel like Ridley unless this is relative and Bowser is huge right now.
Gonna make a point again that as a fan of Ridley I would expect appreciation of him as a large, overpowered boss, not as a greatly nerfed and midgetized playable character. It makes me really question your actual fandom of Ridley.
Oh c'mon, I'm sorry, but you've completely missed the whole point of Ridley. The character you described isn't Ridley, it's Kraid. Kraid is all about being big, he's the guy who's character is about being a big monstrous boss that towers over you.

Ridley is all about the rivalry against Samus, he's like Bowser to Mario and Ganondorf to Link. He doesn't need to be huge to show that, as seen in the Melee intro, which is even if it's so short one of my favorite depictions of their rivalry.

So I'm sorry, but if you believe that out of all of Ridley's characteristics, and believe me I haven't even spoken about his intelligence and leader status, that size and his boss status are his most important things, then I'm afraid that you're the one who has missed the point of Ridley's character, and if anyone here isn't a fan of Ridley, then it's you. Sorry if I come off as offensive, but that post made my brain melt.

If you still don't buy my argument, then tell me this: Why is it that Ridley is more special to fight in the Metroid games than any of the other bosses? Nearly all of the bosses are huge, and so is he, so what makes him so special? Because there's no denying that he is more special and leaves a bigger impact, so why is that? Is it truly because of size?

And about the above discussion, the moveset I wrote when I was on vacation does feature a very limited aerial grab too. I'll see if I can pull myself together and write it on PC soon, as I wrote it on my phone.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I've always thought Ridley should have some form of command grab that can grab in the air. My particular spin on the idea is that he starts gliding forward, and will grab anyone he contacts during the initial swoop. Even if he connects, he will still continue gliding, and be able to do four directional throws, along with the wall drag if he's near a wall, ceiling, or floor.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Owww man!! I done it bro!

R-E-A-L

T-A-L-K

I read it all

I started at around early 10:00am ish and its now 12:40pm just to read 5 pages....carefuly and properly i also ate and chilled in between because it was pretty mind boggoling..

I stringed together before @Psycho mentioned that its Mr.Langee what ever his name is just about opnion...

Also butt licking aside i do that **** Goldem ripped him a FACTual anus RealTalk..

Ahhh man....it was funny/head hurting/suprising..that read RealTalk...many mixed emotions...

What makes it the most boggling is trying to make sense of something thats just done for the sake of being done to fit the game....its the simplest but true explanation..not everything is complex...PeePz make sheet harder than it has to be...

Hehehe something no one brang up which i think is a good point and also crazy is that Langee was talking about basing Metroid canon in smash...when Smash canon is pretty much none existent..Smash canon changes so does everything melee ridley size to brawls yet he says ridley size stays the same because he is natural and not under the influence of drugs like bowser xD.

Is Smash canon in itself? If it is it sheets on its own canon...

Boy....its ****ed...and i got another cool point.

Langee was saying that whole point about shrinking ridley would ultimately destroy his reputation forever...

When has anything done in smash effected a chars properties based on its canon series soooo bad that PeePz went madddddd to the point of years and years of flaming and even like legal action?

Point is there never has and if anything imo i could be wrong but imo the most disgraceful thing that has evee been done in smash is tail whip mewtwo & CaptainDorf.

Surely that is light yearsssss ahead of shrunken Ridley....

G-Dorf &Mewtwo are way more popular than Ridley and this is all opnion sheet like his arguments are.....

**** me...if Sakurai adds him then good if he doesnt then well...we will live on....he will most probly never tell us why he didnt add ridley if he doesnt make it in anyway!

But the Bull* never stops flowing

REAL TALK !

RealTalk its that simple! Although it is a kick in the face..feels like we put in more effort in the whole concept way more than the devs did..so it seems like they must be a deepee reasoning..in that we feel that we are owed ine because it cant possibltmy be that simple but it is.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Okay, seriously, you might want to cool it a little on the "Real Talk". I fully agree with you, but seeing that same phrase time and time again kind of saps any meaning or humor from it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh it's pretty much his catchphrase, leave him be. RealTalk. oops....

Anyway, Canon really means little for Smash. Ridley can be resized just fine and I honestly don't see what the big issue is over it. Then again, we had the likes of "Toon Link is too cell-shaded to be in Smash" in the Pre-Brawl days and look how Sakurai threw that silly argument out of the window.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Found some fanart. Adorable.

EDIT: Oh wow, I remember those too "cel-shaded" guys, lol. They completely ignored that cel-shading already existed in Melee, lol.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Found some fanart. Adorable.

EDIT: Oh wow, I remember those too "cel-shaded" guys, lol. They completely ignored that cel-shading already existed in Melee, lol.

They also ignored the fact that Lucas didn't even have a 3D model or even an artwork of any kind and was just a 2D chibi sprite before Brawl.

And that Ridley drawing really is adorable. Aww.... :3

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Okay, seriously, you might want to cool it a little on the "Real Talk". I fully agree with you, but seeing that same phrase time and time again kind of saps any meaning or humor from it.
Thats the thing bro..theres no humor in it...its all ''Real''

And its me talking it xD
Hence ''RealTalk!'

Get to know - dont hate, appreciate - Trust.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh c'mon, I'm sorry, but you've completely missed the whole point of Ridley. The character you described isn't Ridley, it's Kraid. Kraid is all about being big, he's the guy who's character is about being a big monstrous boss that towers over you.

Ridley is all about the rivalry against Samus, he's like Bowser to Mario and Ganondorf to Link. He doesn't need to be huge to show that, as seen in the Melee intro, which is even if it's so short one of my favorite depictions of their rivalry.

So I'm sorry, but if you believe that out of all of Ridley's characteristics, and believe me I haven't even spoken about his intelligence and leader status, that size and his boss status are his most important things, then I'm afraid that you're the one who has missed the point of Ridley's character, and if anyone here isn't a fan of Ridley, then it's you. Sorry if I come off as offensive, but that post made my brain melt.

If you still don't buy my argument, then tell me this: Why is it that Ridley and Mother Brain are more special to fight in the Metroid games than any of the other bosses? Nearly all of the bosses are huge, and so are they, so what makes them so special? Because there's no denying that they're more special and leave a bigger impact, so why is that?

And about the above discussion, the moveset I wrote when I was on vacation does feature a very limited aerial grab too. I'll see if I can pull myself together and write it on PC soon, as I wrote it on my phone.
At first I thought Ridley was a bamf who just wanted to f*** s*** up. But i've realized he isn't. This was once I played Metroid Prime, and learned several things about his history with Samus. There is a lot more to Ridley than him being big. Typically bosses in games are bigger than the protagonist anyway. It' s just a gameplay detail. Really, if Ridley were smaller in Metroid it would be harder to defeat him with his speed and such anyway.

So downsize Ridley to a size that is either greater or equal to Bowser, give him a bio in his trophy that explains his ferocity and history with Samus, and call it a day.

That to me, would be justice.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, my post was ignored.

the one about mario world bowser being big, even though tger isn't stars or kamek in that game. and the koopalings didn't have magic.

so I ask again, why was he that big in super mario world?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Can we just drop it. How the game does or does not explain it isn't important because the actual reason is because the gameplay called for it, and what size the gameplay calls for changes from game to game which creates inconsistencies. The main series, spin-offs, it's true for everything.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Can we just drop it. How the game does or does not explain it isn't important because the actual reason is because the gameplay called for it, and what size the gameplay calls for changes from game to game which creates inconsistencies. The main series, spin-offs, it's true for everything.
I was more or less showing that he doesn't read through everything, but yeah. I'll stop.

Top Bottom