• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I meant for the gamecube controller,you've got all the buttons a gamecube controller have (and more) so there shouldn't be a problem,and the 3DS one can still do all attacks,the touch screen would only do...eye candy?
The gamecube controller is very comfortable. But seeing as it isn't supported by the Wii U, I'll have to pick up one of those Wii U Pro whatever controllers. I hated using the wiimote in Brawl, gamecube controller support was great.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I was never able to really get the hang of the nunchuk remote play style, so i played with the GC controller. And for the more complicated characters, which Ridley would most likely be, i am going to use a controller.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I demand four circle pads, but on the touch screen. That would be more efficient.

The game cube controller didn't have 2 joysticks (c-stick users are n00bs) so idk why sm4sh needs one. And why would the touch controls be used during game? that's just stupid. you're stupid. yes, you.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Well the Gamecube controllers were a lot easier to use. I didn't use the C-Stick, unless i was using R.O.B in a meteor smash match.
But the C-Stick provided a quick attack, so many used as an easier way to play casual.

D

Deleted member

bump

@Ridley_Prime: The boss fight in Brawl was probably forgettable since he was treated as a typical mindless boss and not on the rivalry between Samus and Ridley.

Granted, it was pretty good for a non-playable character, but Ridley is overdue for a playable status.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I always liked Ridley as a character, but i always thought that his size would be an issue. After reading through this thread, its no longer a concern to me. Ridley is probably the only other Metroid character at this point that i would support because there arent many other characters from the series that really deserves a spot. Thats probably because a plot device of the series is the "lone hunter" idea that goes along with Samus.

GO RIDLEY!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
bump

@Ridley_Prime: The boss fight in Brawl was probably forgettable since he was treated as a typical mindless boss and not on the rivalry between Samus and Ridley.

Granted, it was pretty good for a non-playable character, but Ridley is overdue for a playable status.
I was kinda mad/disappointed that Sakurai ignored their rivalry when putting him in the SSE (despite his trophy mentioning some of their history), perhaps more than him not being playable, as he was just another.. what you said. It really downplayed his importance as a Metroid character I felt.

D

Deleted member

Ridley's rivalry with Samus is referenced in the fact that he went after her firsthand in the SSE.
"Samus, remember me? Of course you do! Here, let me scrape you against the wall and make you helpless to stop me from finally killing you! HAHA! *thunder'd* GRAAH! I see you brought a little pet with you. Well then, I'll just kill you BOTH!"

It helps that the cutscene is called "The Destiny of Ridley and Samus".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly, if you were to replace Ridley with any of Samus's other enemies in the SSE, they most likely would've attacked her first over Pikachu too, then Pika would zap them with the end result being the same. While SSE may have slightly referenced Samus and Ridley's rivalry, it didn't do it in the way most of the Metroid games Ridley was in did, which I think was the point.

And ignoring Pikachu altogether while scraping Samus against a wall & thus allowing himself to be attacked, as opposed to when he reacted to Anthony while he was carrying Samus around, is I think a testament to what SSBF said in how he was treated as just another mindless boss in Brawl. Yeah, I know how hated that Other M scene is and all and that I should probably be ashamed of myself for bringing it up again after what happened before, but at least it respected and properly portrayed Ridley's intelligence well enough, unlike that SSE cutscene.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
MAN, I would hardly complain. You're pretty much asking for SPECIAL TREATMENT for Ridley. Everyone in Smash is basically a caricature of themselves anyway, so I wouldn't ask for too much from Ridley. I would say that his bestial nature should be played up to kind of set him apart from the rest of the cast. Would not mind if he ended up as some kind of ATTACK DOG for Ganondorf.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Special treatment be quite the exaggeration of what I want of him, on the contrary. I'm not asking for him to be put on some kind of pedestal above all others or anything, and I'd be fine with the typical bestial nature, though his instinctive intelligence being played up like in Other M would help set him apart from the cast just as well, I would think. And I don't care actually what kind of role he has in a Smash story like who he's working with or under, as long as he has one of those mentioned traits, if not a little bit of both if we're lucky.

And the couple small gripes I mentioned with SSE Ridley are still nothing compared to the BIGGER more common complaints made about like Other M and Omega Ridley, so lay off, boyo.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, if you were to replace Ridley with any of Samus's other enemies in the SSE, they most likely would've attacked her first over Pikachu too, then Pika would zap them with the end result being the same. While SSE may have slightly referenced Samus and Ridley's rivalry, it didn't do it in the way most of the Metroid games Ridley was in did, which I think was the point.

And ignoring Pikachu altogether while scraping Samus against a wall & thus allowing himself to be attacked, as opposed to when he reacted to Anthony while he was carrying Samus around, is I think a testament to what SSBF said in how he was treated as just another mindless boss in Brawl. Yeah, I know how hated that Other M scene is and all and that I should probably be ashamed of myself for bringing it up again after what happened before, but at least it respected and properly portrayed Ridley's intelligence well enough, unlike that SSE cutscene.
Prior to Prime 3 and Other M (which came after Brawl), Ridley's and Samus' relationship was just "RAR I GIANT MONSTER I KILL YOU" while Samus shoots first, ask questions later in-game.
I see no difference to that than in Brawl.
Now, if Other M came before Brawl, where we see more dynamics on their pasts in relation to each other, THEN I would agree with you.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Prior to Prime 3 and Other M (which came after Brawl), Ridley's and Samus' relationship was just "RAR I GIANT MONSTER I KILL YOU" while Samus shoots first, ask questions later in-game.
Now, if Other M came before Brawl, where we see more dynamics on their pasts in relation to each other, THEN I would agree with you.
I can't think if it was just me, but in the Prime 3 part where you are fighting and falling down the core shaft, Meta Ridley seemed just gigantic, like he would hold Meta Ridley,you in one hand and his body would disappear below the visor. But that was when he was Meta Ridley, and not regular. In the Melee intro, he wasn't much bigger than Samus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8q2OoqIks&feature=player_detailpage#t=26s

D

Deleted member

I was kinda mad/disappointed that Sakurai ignored their rivalry when putting him in the SSE (despite his trophy mentioning some of their history), perhaps more than him not being playable, as he was just another.. what you said. It really downplayed his importance as a Metroid character I felt.
It also made it hard for me to care about Ridley as a character. As someone who had just heard of Ridley back when he was revealed to be a boss character, (I had only briefly played Metroid II: The Return of Samus) it gave me the viewpoint that Ridley was just another boss Samus faced.
Given that Ridley killed Samus' parents, there was already more to the relationship than just a giant dragon waning to kill Samus.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I think that the whole killing the parents thing would mean that she would even hunt him, and try and kill him every single chance she could get.
And if i had never played Metroid before, and i played SSE, and i saw the grinding Samus against a wall, i would just think he is a Metroid boss. Even the trophy doesn't prove the rivalry, you would have to play multiple Metroid games to really understand the hate.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
you would have to play multiple Metroid games to really understand the hate.
Aside from Other M, which itself did a terrible job at explaining anything, the only thing you'd get from playing multiple games is that Ridley is a persistent recurring boss.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Well if you played one game, you would think he is a boss, but by reappearing in multiple games as a boss, you know that he wants to destroy her. And not like a normal enemy, as a lifelong personal enemy.

D

Deleted member

@SSBF: But you wouldn't know that just by playing the games (except for Other M, which came after Brawl).
It requires knowledge from outside the games, hence why I made my point that what I said is what you see in-game.

@TheJohnMonster: Just like Oasis said, the only thing you'd get from playing multiple games is that he's a persistant sunuvabich monster that just won't die. Except in Other M, but that hardly explained much about the connection other than the idea that there is one.

Ridley killing Samus' parents and becomming her nemesis stems from the canon e-manga, as well as Smash Bros., which states this in his trophies.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Ridley's role in Brawl, I thought the bigger issue was in his attacks, and how they were just Dyna Blade's. Every Metroid game except for Other M (which came out after Brawl and was terrible) doesn't really make it a point to highlight Ridley and Samus' history. Ridley shows up and Samus starts shooting him. I thought he was handled well enough in the cutscene.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Prime 3 came out before Brawl though, and fair enough.

It also made it hard for me to care about Ridley as a character. As someone who had just heard of Ridley back when he was revealed to be a boss character, (I had only briefly played Metroid II: The Return of Samus) it gave me the viewpoint that Ridley was just another boss Samus faced.
Yeah, I figured his execution in the SSE would give some people who hadn't really played Metroid before that impression, but Ridley's easily more important to Metroid than Petey Piranha is to Mario and Rayquaza is to Pokemon, and being placed alongside them (instead of being placed alongside Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede as a playable) didn't do him justice. Same with being a Dyna Blade 2.0, but I'll stop there.

Even the trophy doesn't prove the rivalry, you would have to play multiple Metroid games to really understand the hate.
Actually it does to a degree, as Golden pointed out. Ridley's Brawl trophy itself even mentions his invasion of K-2L IIRC.

D

Deleted member

It goes more than that.
Ridley's Brawl Trophy said:
The leader of the Space Pirates. He looks like a pterosaurs but has high intelligence and a brutal nature. He plans to steal the baby Metroid from Samus for his own use. Ridley utilizes wings for a full range of flight and attacks with fireballs from his mouth and whips of his tail. As the culprit behind the murder of Samus's parents, the connections with Samus run deep.
I was also stating that Other M came after Brawl, so sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying Prime 3 came out after Brawl (even though it did in Japan).

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I can see Sakurai looking at Other M to pick out how he would look and fight.

Haters better start getting used to that design...

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Other M sucks -> Other M Ridley sucks.

GIANT SARCASMS DENOTATION

This is a joke about how people baw about Other M when it was really an above-average game. Get used to it people, Sakamoto is in charge of Metroid. I'm sorry he didn't make Samus like you thought she should be even though he's her daddy.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I actually like the Other M Ridley design, he looks more stress inducing. :troll:
Also If a bunch of hackers can size Ridley decently, Sakurai has no excuse whatsoever.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I can see Sakurai looking at Other M to pick out how he would look and fight.

Haters better start getting used to that design...
*A picture of the terrible design Ridley has in Other M*
That would be vile. Hopefully Other M will be overlooked on account of its reception.

This is a joke about how people baw about Other M when it was really an above-average game. Get used to it people, Sakamoto is in charge of Metroid. I'm sorry he didn't make Samus like you thought she should be even though he's her daddy.
Other M and Other M's Ridley design do indeed both suck. Other M was hardly above-average. It was a mediocre game and a horrible Metroid game. Sakamoto is a terrible writer, and his Samus is basically his ideal woman (submissive, eager to please, overly dependent on others). He said he never even considered her personality until he made Other M. If the higher-ups in Nintendo have any sense they won't let Sakamoto touch Metroid again.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Other M and Other M's Ridley design do indeed both suck. Other M was hardly above-average. It was a mediocre game and a horrible Metroid game. Sakamoto is a terrible writer, and his Samus is basically his ideal woman (submissive, eager to please, overly dependent on others). He said he never even considered her personality until he made Other M. If the higher-ups in Nintendo have any sense they won't let Sakamoto touch Metroid again.
I agree with the story complaints, but the gameplay was good and could have been amazing if a few things were fixed(missiles only in first person, options for more controllers, no more pixel hunts).

D

Deleted member

That would be vile. Hopefully Other M will be overlooked on account of its reception.

I can't take this seriously, as it sounds an awful lot like the people that say Brawl sucks and that if Nintendo had any sense they wouldn't let Sakurai touch Smash Bros. again.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Except for the fact is was hated by a lot of the fans and sold pretty poorly.

There is a reason there hasn't been anything for Metroid's 25th birthday.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder what he'd do if you just looked him in the face and said "You're no Miyamoto." And walked away.

Oh, what about something like "the only -moto people will remember is Miyamoto. Do you know why. BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A GOOD GAME."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
i don't see why Sakurai couldn't just base the character model off the one they used in brawl, just downsized and with different moves. Obviously they want to stress newer games in appearances, but that didnt stop them from including the purple ridley AND meta ridley in Brawl as bosses. If it were purely based off of recent appearances, Ridley probably wouldve only been Meta Ridley

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure if you make fair claims as to why Other M was so bad, he'd break down in tears. LIKE A CERTAIN SOMEONE.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Other M was good.

That's all I have to say. Because I liked it. And I like things that are considered good by others typically (this being the exception).

Nevermind the fact that sales don't have the final say about how good a game is, and fanbases are usually fickle and dumb.

At the end of the day, I'll continue to enjoy it, and whiny babies will whine and be babies about it. Go ahead and baw because Samus doesn't live up to one's personal interpretation of the character in the game.

But Sakamoto did a fine job with Other M, objectively. It is a shame he'll probably limp away from the series with a dislike for its fans as a result of its reception.

Maybe I need to be a bit less happy-go-lucky and start letting little things piss me off.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Never played Other M, but I'm not too opposed to Ridley's design in it...it's only the beefiness that bugs me. But eh, to each his own, right?

Top Bottom