• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to watch Shokio's Ridley video. Should I watch it or no?
I actually was convinced that he was too big for the game before I had seen the shadow analysis. I have only played the first metroid in passing so.. yeah I actually thought his ideas were mean spirited but kinda made sense if it were true.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
This would be her reaction

Oh my gosh that is absolutely hilarious! Also, quite fitting.

Given the general idea of SSB fanfics seems to revolve around all the characters living in a mansion together, it'll be amusing to see how they'll turn out when (hopefully) Ridley joins; because living in the same place as the guy who murdered her parents is just what Samus needed in her life.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This is one of those things that gets better the more you watch it, and if he's revealed, I'm posting this gif with the Metroid Metal Ridley theme as the soundtrack. It'll be great!
That reminds me, there actually was a vid I once saw of the Metroid Metal Ridley theme with some fan-made model of Ridley playing on the guitar during the whole thing, and it was kinda well animated too. Sadly it got removed from youtube at some point and I for the life of me have not been able to find it again in some form ever since. Shame, as there would've been plenty good opportunities for me to post it here.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
After Takamaru, I sorta wanted to post this gif, but decided I wasn't cruel enough to rub salt in the wounds of a character I was neutral about.
That was the initial state of the thread after the Direct. But like humanity in general, we're turning out to be some difficult pieces of **** to kill off.

Zynux

Smash Lord
A wild irrational, baseless, and impulsive thought appeared by yours truly! :nifty:

I do not understand it, as I usually do not entertain thoughts like these, but I had a random, unmediated notion that can barely even be called speculation. One would most likely look upon it as straw-grasping and incredibly unlikely, in which I would wholeheartedly agree and is my stance on it now.

I entertained this belief: that in the beginning of Smash 4's development, Ridley was truly being designed and planned as "Boss", but sometime "relatively" late during development the developers decided to promote Ridley's status because the previous plans were unsatisfactory. It would give one explanation as to why, if assuming Ridley is playable, that they decided tease him under the context of "Boss Characters" in the first place if at the end he doesn't reprise this role at all, as that may have actually been his role until relatively recently.

After all, no matter the outcome this entire situation is unnecessary and counter-intuitive (to an extent). If Ridley reprises his role as a boss, why hype this repetitive mechanic and regurgitation of uncreative past ideas? If Ridley is playable, then why insinuate that Ridley is the boss of Pyrosphere in the context of Smash 4 "boss characters" (as in, the same role as the Yellow Devil) for months? Or, if you believe the first Pyrosphere POTD was a hint to boss status, for almost an entire year?

Either way, I found this amusing, especially since when I debate characters inclusions or validty/lack thereof of leaks, I almost never resort to such unfounded, conspiracy-like reasoning found in the third paragraph. Yet, this intuition came to me literally at random just as fast as I rejected it.

That's it.

'Aight, peace. :denzel:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hey guys, what what would be your reaction to Ridley being announced? I'd probably strip myself and dance around in a cereal box while printing out a picture of Shokio then proceed to rip it up and BURN ITT
I'm not sure. I'll be happy of course, but because of how I was sure it's going t happen anyway, my reaction won't be that strong. Even if I don't want him that much, It will still be hype anyway.

AFTER, that's a completely different story. First, I would get here before it's turned into a general thread to just basically laugh so much I might die (the advantage of being aware of the tease is that you know exactly why someone got fooled before and it's quite funny). Watching this getting 5000 viewers or not since it would crash anyway (now that I think about it, that would be very sad could Smahsboards upgrade their server before the second week of August just to be sure?). Probably going to make troll posts as I would be a missed opportunity to not to. I may have to prepare some TTYD text bubbles for the occasion (I have already one in mind and you should know what it is).

But the next part would be the best. When the "I was wrong" thread is created, I will post a proof of my posts when I claimed [pretty likely] and [almost confirmed]. And just watch hundreds of users being astonished to see this happening.

To summarize, I will laugh at others who denied the tease with a very sadist way.

It's not a feel you would get every time in your life so better take this opportunity!

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

OUCH, MY POOR EYES!!!

Like, I have to use the site at 200% as zoom because of sight issue, but god that was freaking scary!!!

Please, spoiler tags.

But for those who haven't watched the video, I say go for it. The first time I watched it, I actually laugh at it because of how it really broke any logic I could think of.

Actually, if it was the purpose of the whole video, I think it might have to do with a misinterpretation.

Seriously, am I the only one who laugh on first watch?

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
You know what argument I see almost daily on the like inducing miiverse? "If you want Ridley just make a mii." How do I make a mii of RIDLEY? I get shrek and goku, they're humanoid enough, but a space dragon? You kidding me right now?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You know what argument I see almost daily on the like inducing miiverse? "If you want Ridley just make a mii." How do I make a mii of RIDLEY? I get shrek and holy, they're humanoid enough, but a space dragon? You kidding me right now?
It's funny because I had the same problem....

So I made a toon link one :)

It felt 2D enough :troll:

But seriously, I don't think it's possible to make a mii look like Ridley.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You know what argument I see almost daily on the like inducing miiverse? "If you want Ridley just make a mii." How do I make a mii of RIDLEY? I get shrek and holy, they're humanoid enough, but a space dragon? You kidding me right now?
Think how bad it is for Slime fans...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Nah, but seriously. As IsmaR says "This thread is for discussing Ridley and his playability in Smash." Well we were talking about Ridley. More or less...
It's not just talking about Ridley. Discussion should pertain to Ridley as a character/in Smash specifically, not just stuff like belittling/bemoaning his "detractors," posting random reaction images/gifs (which should NOT happen more often than actual on-topic discussions, yet frequently does), and random Metroid/Smash speculation/discussion that barely has anything to do with Ridley.

Furthermore, it should never get to the point of harassing specific users. Detractors (for lack of a better term), people who take requests for art//whatever (nor for any idiotic reason like gender), and everyone in between should not be bothered to the point they don't feel like posting here. This isn't some elite circle that routinely attacks people who disagree with them, nor is it only for cool kids to spam as if it's a 2nd Social thread. I get having fun every once in a while, but the extent/frequency people derail this thread at is making it disheartening that it will likely get locked before judgment day. Which nobody wants to happen.

/hatecatchingupsolate

I wonder if canon Samus wants Ridley to be in the game.
BitF Samus nnnnn avi.png

For those who don't get it:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I just hope Ridley is revealed in a August Direct so we can finally get this over with.

Plus, I need some live reactions from his reveal. Heh.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
I just hope Ridley is revealed in a August Direct so we can finally get this over with.

Likewise; this wait has been agonising.

An I have enjoyed watching many reactions to character reveals and I'm sure I'll be most entertained by reactions to Ridley's reveal. Unlike others that I've spotted here and there, I don't plan to flaunt detractors I've encountered once Ridley is included, but I shall be visiting to see how they respond to playable Ridley confirmation.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Haven't been very active recently, needed a break and there seems to have been a lack of news. Hopefully we get something from the Hyrule Warriors direct, but it's 4am in the morning for the UK :c. So if there is any reveals hopefully they do the same as they did with the FE reveal and leave the video at the top of the Smash site so not to spoil it.

Would be funny if you could get DLC for Hyrule Warriors to replace all the dragons (or whatever they are), which Ridley inspired versions.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

same here... the teasing isnt really hyping me up anymore... its just making me sick.

i am about done with waiting, and i just wish it was over.

if ridley is in, then we can celebrate and all that good stuff.

if he is not playable... then i can sever my connection to the rest of society online and offline, being asocial for all eternity, and die completely alone.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
same here... the teasing isnt really hyping me up anymore... its just making me sick.

i am about done with waiting, and i just wish it was over.

if ridley is in, then we can celebrate and all that good stuff.

if he is not playable... then i can sever my connection to the rest of society online and offline, being asocial for all eternity, and die completely alone.
Now now, don't worry, Ridley is most likely in. And I have plenty of reasons to Believe so. ^^ And even if not, you won't die alone.
Maybe.

Likewise; this wait has been agonising.

An I have enjoyed watching many reactions to character reveals and I'm sure I'll be most entertained by reactions to Ridley's reveal. Unlike others that I've spotted here and there, I don't plan to flaunt detractors I've encountered once Ridley is included, but I shall be visiting to see how they respond to playable Ridley confirmation.
And indeed, the reactions videos have been entertaining, and I imagen Ridley's to have the... wait for it... Biggest reactions of them all. Hehe,

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I told it at least 2 times, but I now think every case of teasing like this will be before release.

Happened 3 times -> before release.

My case is likely to have a hidden stage and I think it would be for trailer setup like Greninja -> before release.

If Ridley is the same tease as those cases, -> I imply before release.

Anyway, why teasing like this in the intent of mind blowing the one who denied it if you don't mind blow them at the same time?

I'm optimistic, but I already made up my theory.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I think I might have an interesting idea to add to all this. What if despite all of Sakurai's best efforts to make Ridley a fully playable character, he still deems him too slow and just decides to re purpose him into a stage hazard or even worse, cut him from the game completley?
I'm pretty sure Ridley would only be slow on the Wii because of game lag, because trust me, Ridley is the opposite of slow! The Wii U should be able to handle his epicness; that, and he said it in a 2008 article. Opinions do change over time, as proven when he first denied adding Villager and Pac-Man before development started for Smash 4.

Also, not even giving Ridley a trophy would indeed be low of Sakurai.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
You know what argument I see almost daily on the like inducing miiverse? "If you want Ridley just make a mii." How do I make a mii of RIDLEY? I get shrek and goku, they're humanoid enough, but a space dragon? You kidding me right now?

If this doesn't work for you, you could always make a Ridley Scott Mii :p

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Phew...finally. After so many pages...So many awesome fan art...So many speculation and essays.....I'm finally up to date. Onto Ridley, if there is going to be an August direct, when do you think it will be?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Phew...finally. After so many pages...So many awesome fan art...So many speculation and essays.....I'm finally up to date. Onto Ridley, if there is going to be an August direct, when do you think it will be?
Originally I thought the Direct would be around the 10th, but after the announcement of the Hyrule Warriors Direct, I find that extremely unlikely to happen. It suppose it would make more sense to broadcast the Direct as close to the release as possible, so I am betting it will be in the last week of August.

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Originally I thought the Direct would be around the 10th, but after the announcement of the Hyrule Warriors Direct, I find that extremely unlikely to happen. It suppose it would make more sense to broadcast the Direct as close to the release as possible, so I am betting it will be in the last week of August.
I agree. ;) I really wasn't expecting the Hyrule Warriors Direct but thinking about it now, I guess it was guaranteed to happen. :p I do hope Ridley gets confirmed soon though, looks like this might be his last chance (unless he is a secret character or Sakurai pulls another newcomer trailer on the website). I wonder if there is a the possibility of a second smash direct? (I'm not going to bet on it though, a normal direct seems more likely.)

Reila

I agree. ;) I really wasn't expecting the Hyrule Warriors Direct but thinking about it now, I guess it was guaranteed to happen. :p I do hope Ridley gets confirmed soon though, looks like this might be his last chance (unless he is a secret character or Sakurai pulls another newcomer trailer on the website). I wonder if there is a the possibility of a second smash direct? (I'm not going to bet on it though, a normal direct seems more likely.)
I don't think a game ever got more than one Direct, but there is a first for everything, so who knows? A second Smash Direct would be really nice.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
A normal direct seems unlikeley the more I think about, both WiiU and 3DS have only two notable games coming on each of them, two of them being Smash, the other ones, Captain Toad and the Pokemon Ruby/Saphire remakes, both of which launch after 3DS Smash. They could pad it out with indie stuff, but I think its more likely to have Smash directs or just the newcomer video.

Reila

A normal direct seems unlikeley the more I think about, both WiiU and 3DS have only two notable games coming on each of them, two of them being Smash, the other ones, Captain Toad and the Pokemon Ruby/Saphire remakes, both of which launch after 3DS Smash. They could pad it out with indie stuff, but I think its more likely to have Smash directs or just the newcomer video.
It is not really unlikely. There has been a normal direct every two months, since the first one and the last one was in June. The fact there aren't notable games coming to the 3DS is exactly why they should make a Direct: To announce more games. That is basically the main point of directs lol. The only thing they announced for the 3DS was Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., the whole rest of the E3 was entirely focused on the Wii U. IMO a "normal direct" in August is a given.

Last edited:

TrueDarkAce

Smash Cadet
First thing I'm going to do when Ridley is announced is make a video (of course) and make my friend who said Ridley is a boss write a 5 page essay on how I was right and he was wrong.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
A wild irrational, baseless, and impulsive thought appeared by yours truly! :nifty:

I do not understand it, as I usually do not entertain thoughts like these, but I had a random, unmediated notion that can barely even be called speculation. One would most likely look upon it as straw-grasping and incredibly unlikely, in which I would wholeheartedly agree and is my stance on it now.

I entertained this belief: that in the beginning of Smash 4's development, Ridley was truly being designed and planned as "Boss", but sometime "relatively" late during development the developers decided to promote Ridley's status because the previous plans were unsatisfactory. It would give one explanation as to why, if assuming Ridley is playable, that they decided tease him under the context of "Boss Characters" in the first place if at the end he doesn't reprise this role at all, as that may have actually been his role until relatively recently.

After all, no matter the outcome this entire situation is unnecessary and counter-intuitive (to an extent). If Ridley reprises his role as a boss, why hype this repetitive mechanic and regurgitation of uncreative past ideas? If Ridley is playable, then why insinuate that Ridley is the boss of Pyrosphere in the context of Smash 4 "boss characters" (as in, the same role as the Yellow Devil) for months? Or, if you believe the first Pyrosphere POTD was a hint to boss status, for almost an entire year?

Either way, I found this amusing, especially since when I debate characters inclusions or validty/lack thereof of leaks, I almost never resort to such unfounded, conspiracy-like reasoning found in the third paragraph. Yet, this intuition came to me literally at random just as fast as I rejected it.

That's it.

'Aight, peace. :denzel:
We have evidence to believe this happened with Lucina and Chrom, so no one says it couldn't happen with Ridley...

Weavel

Smash Ace
August 12th..

Will be the unrivaled dream killing sadist of gaming history when it hits..

Faith COULD be rewarded..

Hope CAN be CRUSHED.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
We have evidence to believe this happened with Lucina and Chrom, so no one says it couldn't happen with Ridley...
It happened to those 2 (or at least Chrom) BEFORE development on them even begun. They (or just he) wasn`t worked on and then dropped and replaced by something else.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*
Everyone thinks that Ridley has to be a boss. Everybody apparently thinks now he was GOING to be a boss. There's nothing stating he will be, nor is there anything stating he was.
Stop getting worked up about this. It's bad for your health.

Last edited:
Top Bottom