• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NatP

Smash Ace
There's this post I found a while back on r/smashbros that I personally found very interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2by3vm/so_i_was_looking_at_pits_alternative_colours/

Essentially what that post is saying is that all the Pit colors we know about so far are all leaning towards more 'light' colors. Here's my crazy and totally unfounded theory: Dark Pit is a clone of Pit that has a 'dark aura' surrounding him (think Evil Ryu from SFIV) + costumes that lean more towards dark colors. And his tease at the end of Palutena's trailer is his "newcomer trailer".

Obviously this is just my personal interpretation and Dark Pit could still totally just be a boss. But hey, you never know!

D

Deleted member

I've always supported Ridley and other characters, didn't really look indepth to them being in. Just kind of wanted them.
Then that fateful day of August 20th came by. I was surrounded by a heavenly shrowd of blankets while checking the pic of the day on Miiverse that night. That infamous Pyrosphere picture solidified my ideas that Ridley was in. Around April the direct came about and I saw the shadow. I don't remember the exact feelings but I believed he was still in, I searched everywhere to find concrete evidence of him being there. And that led me here, I lurked here for a week then joined in with my first words on Smash boards being something along the lines of "I've been stalking this thread".
This was beatiful, mainly because I was listening to this

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I've always supported Ridley and other characters, didn't really look indepth to them being in. Just kind of wanted them.
Then that fateful day of August 20th came by. I was surrounded by a heavenly shrowd of blankets while checking the pic of the day on Miiverse that night. That infamous Pyrosphere picture solidified my ideas that Ridley was in. Around April the direct came about and I saw the shadow. I don't remember the exact feelings but I believed he was still in, I searched everywhere to find concrete evidence of him being there. And that led me here, I lurked here for a week then joined in with my first words on Smash boards being something along the lines of "I've been stalking this thread".
the moment i saw ridleys shadow in april i was filled with despair, the rest of the direct i kept thinking about that clip however. questioning it for so long. after the direct i went back to the clip and noticed hints and clues sakurai has left for us. it wasnt until then i became even more of a ridley supporter and made my own video analyzing the shadow (which some people bashed, called me delusional, worse than 9/11 analyzers, etc. but there were alot who supporter me). and then i discovered the more in depth shadow analysis on this page that made me even moar of a supporter than i was before :0

D

Deleted member

I wholeheartedly agree here, but

Here, we do have hard evidence there is a model for Ridley in the game, and we don't for Dark Pit. So there is some difference in evidence. I agree that we have no idea what Ridley's model is for, but I think it's safe to guess at this point that he's either a boss or playable.
But we do know Dark Pit has a role to play in the game, otherwise there wouldn't be that brief moment of attention at the end of Palutena's trailer (or his appearance in her poster).
Like Ridley, though, we don't know what his role is. Just that he has one.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wholeheartedly agree here, but

Here, we do have hard evidence there is a model for Ridley in the game, and we don't for Dark Pit. So there is some difference in evidence. I agree that we have no idea what Ridley's model is for, but I think it's safe to guess at this point that he's either a boss or playable.
We do not need "evidence" that Dark Pit has a model. It is blatantly obvious and the trailer practically confirmed it. Even if Dark Pit is a costume, he has a model.

Greninja'd by :244:

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Being as someone who thinks Ridley would be best suited as a boss, but not entirely opposed to his inclusion as a playable character, I saw the shadow of Ridley in the Direct as alluding to his role as a stage boss in the Pyrosphere.

There's this post I found a while back on r/smashbros that I personally found very interesting: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2by3vm/so_i_was_looking_at_pits_alternative_colours/

Essentially what that post is saying is that all the Pit colors we know about so far are all leaning towards more 'light' colors. Here's my crazy and totally unfounded theory: Dark Pit is a clone of Pit that has a 'dark aura' surrounding him (think Evil Ryu from SFIV) + costumes that lean more towards dark colors. And his tease at the end of Palutena's trailer is his "newcomer trailer".

Obviously this is just my personal interpretation and Dark Pit could still totally just be a boss. But hey, you never know!
I thought of this too. If Dark Pit was playable he'd need darker colors as palette swaps.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Though at the same time, given that the stage itself isn't of the same proportion to Samus (since Smash rarely keeps stages to scale), if Ridley is "smaller" than usual, it could just be that he's still proportional to the stage while Samus is the anomaly.
That's part of why I feel it'd be better to wait and see.
Yee, can't argue with you there. We'll find out soon anyway, so it's no big deal~

[quote="Nietona, post: 17189615, member: 252075"

I love you.

i was hoping somebody would comment on that. ;)
I'm surprised no-one else did. :laugh:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But we do know Dark Pit has a role to play in the game, otherwise there wouldn't be that brief moment of attention at the end of Palutena's trailer (or his appearance in her poster).
Like Ridley, though, we don't know what his role is. Just that he has one.
Dark Pit was teased to have a role in the game. Ridley was confirmed to have a role in the game.

While we only have speculation that Dark Pit has a role (which I admit is pretty obviously leaning to yes, he does), we still haven't seen him at all.

We've actually seen Ridley, so there's no question whether or not he has a role. He definitely appears on the pyrosphere, one way or another.

They are in similar boats, but there's small yet key distinction there. There's still a very small chance that dark pit won't appear at all. That's not the case for Ridley.

We do not need "evidence" that Dark Pit has a model. It is blatantly obvious and the trailer practically confirmed it. Even if Dark Pit is a costume, he has a model.

Greninja'd by :244:
:4greninja::244: indeed

but my argument works here too. Sure, the tease is a big hint. but we don't know.

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, if it's true that Dark Pit is a boss.....that would put a bit of concern for the arguments used against Ridley being a boss.
Dark Pit is literally the same size as Pit, so that would render the "too small to be a boss" argument obsolete.
Dark Pit would very likely not have the movement patterns of an SSE boss or Yellow Devil due to traversing among a large, complex stage while being a small, free-flying target. Which would render the "Ridley doesn't move like a boss" argument obsolete as well.

Think about that for a moment...
Actually I think it will help more than hurt.

During the Era of SSBM, Bowser was technically a boss for adventure mode with a different size... and he's playable. So in regards to that, Dark Pit could have slightly altered moves as a Boss and still be an Alt/Color Swap for Pit. This also goes back to SSBB where dark versions of the characters faced you and technically were hindrance to your progress through SSE (Adventure Mode). So if Dark Pit is a Boss and technically a playable character in that sense then so can Ridley.

Also, if Dark Pit is announced as Boss just proves the point that Ridley's role has been prolonged in mystery even more considering we already got a glimpse of Dark Pit during the Palutena trailer. This mystery has lasted long enough to almost guarantee that he is possibly playable.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Ridley is too big! He can't be resized because of hardware limitations on the NES and Bowser changes size all the time! Olimar and ROB are invalid!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
You are not wrong for stating the facts, and if you believe that Ridley is most likely a stage boss no one can fault you for it. But at the same time, there are also reasons to believe Ridley is playable. As people have said; it’s all outlined in the second post, you’ll see one of the bigger reasons people tend to believe Ridley will be playable is Sakurai’s lack of deconfirmation. You’ll notice in other cases of character inclusion ambiguity, Sakurai often goes on record to clarify the situation (a la Chrom or Takamaru) but with Ridley he has yet to do so. Hope that helps you understand where most of us Ridley guys are coming from.
Your avatar is awesome. PM stage revealed yesterday and Galaga today makes me a happy camper (even if Galaga was already revealed previously, and Sakurai threw around that boss word again...hmm...)

To whoever said Petey was too big, I raise you one Captain Olimar. SMASH BROS ISN'T CANON. You know who else was a boss in Brawl (twice, even?)?! RIDLEY! So I guess there goes the thread guys, Ridley's not playable because he was a Brawl boss and everyone knows that characters can't change roles between smash games.../s

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Unless the coulored outline thing for teams is carrying over to the Wii U version, Pit would need both a blue and green costume. Plus if someone didn't know this and 2 people picked Pit and Dark Pit and gave them alts, Chances are they wouldn't know which character is which, adding unnecessary confusion.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yee, can't argue with you there. We'll find out soon anyway, so it's no big deal~
This is basically my attitude from here on until release. I can't be bothered to argue for his chances much more because we're so close to release at this point, I don't believe we're going to be thrown another bone or that his situation is going to develop in any way, the next thing that relates to Ridley is the confirmation of his role so might aswell lean back and wait for it to happen.

NatP

Smash Ace
Unless the coulored outline thing for teams is carrying over to the Wii U version, Pit would need both a blue and green costume. Plus if someone didn't know this and 2 people picked Pit and Dark Pit and gave them alts, Chances are they wouldn't know which character is which, adding unnecessary confusion.
Well, if Dark Pit is indeed playable, he'd almost certainly have a dark aura surrounding him like I said, which would make him stand out even in the 3DS. Dark Pit would instantly look like "the evil one" to anyone, no matter the situation.

Anyway, the only reason I'm talking about Dark Pit here was just to bring forward the idea that he still CAN be playable and his tease would be just a way to technically give him a "newcomer trailer", in a way. His tease does NOT mean he's automatically a boss, very much like Ridley's situation.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Your avatar is awesome. PM stage revealed yesterday and Galaga today makes me a happy camper (even if Galaga was already revealed previously, and Sakurai threw around that boss word again...hmm...)

To whoever said Petey was too big, I raise you one Captain Olimar. SMASH BROS ISN'T CANON. You know who else was a boss in Brawl (twice, even?)?! RIDLEY! So I guess there goes the thread guys, Ridley's not playable because he was a Brawl boss and everyone knows that characters can't change roles between smash games.../s
personally i think the boss word was just for the name of the item, since in galaga theres a somewhat boss galaga enemy that kidnaps your ship.
also how about that Mario kart double dash with Petey resized to be a playable character? :D

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This is basically my attitude from here on until release. I can't be bothered to argue for his chances much more because we're so close to release at this point, I don't believe we're going to be thrown another bone or that his situation is going to develop in any way, the next thing that relates to Ridley is the confirmation of his role so might aswell lean back and wait for it to happen.
Yep. We really are in the final stretch. August in a few days, then about a month 'till the game comes out. Fair chance the roster is legitimately leaked sometime before that. Brawl's entire roster had been leaked by now.

Hold on tight. Sakurai's wild ride is finally nearing its end.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Yep. We really are in the final stretch. August in a few days, then about a month 'till the game comes out. Fair chance the roster is legitimately leaked sometime before that. Brawl's entire roster had been leaked by now.

I'm so excited but I'm so sad. I'm going to miss the speculation.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Anyway, the only reason I'm talking about Dark Pit here was just to bring forward the idea that he still CAN be playable and his tease would be just a way to technically give him a "newcomer trailer", in a way. His tease does NOT mean he's automatically a boss, very much like Ridley's situation.
DP could still very well be playable, although I do think if he is he'll be a hidden newcomer, unannounced before release. I also don't think Dark Pit's role has an impact on Ridley's chances, just because both their roles in series and evidence for their inclusion are so different

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

I really don't want to be spoiled by an eventual roster leak, but all the sites and youtube channels I visit are usually fighting game related, so basically, I would have to not turn on my computer for at least 2 months :c

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
One thing that I'm going to avoid is the inevitable massive wailing from the fanbase when the roster is leaked, in which their favorite characters didn't make the cut.

Of course I won't take part in it because I know Ridley is playable ha ha ha

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

I think the only problem I have with Dark Pit playable is the fact that he'd be Decapre, He'd play differently from Pit, act differently from Pit, FEEL DIFFERENTLY FROM PIT, but he looks just like Pit and that irks me, Two pits in the same roster, at least ZSS and Lucina had the decency to look different, Dark Pit is just Black Pit.

ZSS is from Metroid and Ridley is from Metroid INSTANT RELEVANCY RIGHT???

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I think the only problem I have with Dark Pit playable is the fact that he'd be Decapre, He'd play differently from Pit, act differently from Pit, FEEL DIFFERENTLY FROM PIT, but he looks just like Pit and that irks me, Two pits in the same roster, at least ZSS and Lucina had the decency to look different, Dark Pit is just Black Pit.

ZSS is from Metroid and Ridley is from Metroid INSTANT RELEVANCY RIGHT???
that 5th usf character tease wait though...such a disappoint :/ atleast sakurai isnt like "zomg i'll reveal a final hidden character before the game releases who could it be!? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttsss dark pit!"

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
that 5th usf character tease wait though...such a disappoint :/ atleast sakurai isnt like "zomg i'll reveal a final hidden character before the game releases who could it be!? iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttsss dark pit!"
I personally found the Palutena trailer to be underwhelming, not only did I expect her, but there was no secret to who she was, it just showed Palutena straight up. No build up.

But if dark pit was the last character reveal I would cry, so many good candidates like Shulk, Rhythm Heaven Rep, Isaac, K. Rool or Ridley, and he chooses essentially a reskin to reveal before the game.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree with you. But you should view Dark Pit as more of a Lucina situation and less of a Decapre situation.The SF4 made Decapre because they were short on budget so they simply reused Cammy's model and called it a day. Dark Pit would be just a bonus character that was added in because they had the time to add him so why not?

A bonus character on a character ROSTER THAT HAS A PLAYABLE RIDLEY WOOO (hopefully)

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I believe that if he does make it into the roster, Sakurai will do him justice. One thing's for sure, he will not fit the overall tone of Smash 4 very well. Ridley is such a serious/dark character and I can't see him being lightened up in any way. That being said, I don't want him to be lightened up in any way.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This is such a bittersweet feeling, SSB4 has always been one of the main things occupying my thoughts for over a year now, and ever since I came home from school the day of announcement and saw the trailer I've wanted to play it. But looking back now, one of the main things that have kept me thinking about it is just how limitless everything seemed and how nearly anything could happen any day. This truly has been one hell of a ride and I wait to see the day that our Cunning God of Death takes to the battlefield.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Dark Pit is literally just a reskin even with a different moveset he would look to similiar.

No wait **** my main/favorite character is also pretty much this only their default colors are even more similar **** I ****ed up.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I personally found the Palutena trailer to be underwhelming, not only did I expect her, but there was no secret to who she was, it just showed Palutena straight up. No build up.

But if dark pit was the last character reveal I would cry, so many good candidates like Shulk, Rhythm Heaven Rep, Isaac, K. Rool or Ridley, and he chooses essentially a reskin to reveal before the game.
when the trailer happened i was like "who is it? OH its palutena...okay...." there was no build up to it. if they didnt have the palutena bit in the beginning i would of been more excited about it, but im not :/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm so excited but I'm so sad. I'm going to miss the speculation.
As someone who really only cares much about Ridley this time that's the last thing I'm going to miss, at least last time I had a Dedede crew to fall back on, this time I've just been part of these antagonistic debates way more than I'd have liked to, at least pre-Smash Direct.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
The water we shall not drink from? Agreed, finally a use for it!

I actually think this video someone posted earlier had a pretty nice Ridley-Hack, but maybe thats because i haven't seen many videos of those...

Ok, I still wanted to give my thoughts on the hack. Despite the very clunky and awkward animations, to me Ridley already feels rather poweful. Probably because he is so noisy every time he lands. He is both heavy and maneuverable, it gives him an unique feel.

D

Deleted member

I thought Grima was the Cunning God of Death.
Wait, Grima and Ridley are the cunning gods of death.
Grima is big as s***
Grima killed Lucina's parents
Grima is Ridley confurmed!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I thought Grima was the Cunning God of Death.
Wait, Grima and Ridley are the cunning gods of death.
Grima is big as s***
Grima killed Lucina's parents
Grima is Ridley confurmed!
Metroid & Fire Emblem crossover confirmed
Ridley x Lucina ship confirmed.
AC .gif imminent.

Even though I don't have too much faith in Ridley being a playable character. I believe that if he does make it into the roster, Sakurai will do him justice. One thing's for sure, he will not fit the overall tone of Smash 4 very well. Ridley is such a serious/dark character and I can't see him being lightened up in any way. That being said, I don't want him to be lightened up in any way.
Heh. Smash is bright, but that brightness will only serve as a stark contrast to Ridley's darkness. Cunning god of death indeed.

Top Bottom