• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think we'll get Shulk in this Direct, honestly. More info on X leading into a Shulk reveal is very likely.
Rhythm Heaven also has an anniversary coming up if you want to get into all of that.

I feel like we'll get Shulk in the Direct, Chorus Kids in September as a Robin-like reveal, and characters like Ridley as secret unlockables.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I think we'll get Shulk in this Direct, honestly. More info on X leading into a Shulk reveal is very likely.
Rhythm Heaven also has an anniversary coming up if you want to get into all of that.

I feel like we'll get Shulk in the Direct, Chorus Kids in September as a Robin-like reveal, and characters like Ridley as secret unlockables.
#MonadoMonday

Also, why Chorus Kids?

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Finally got my hands on Ridley's animations from Other M, so here he is using my estimated height and his default stance next to Bowser.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Finally got my hands on Ridley's animations from Other M, so here he is using my estimated height and his default stance next to Bowser.
Can I use this in my Ridley write up for the week in review? It's so good xD. (also I might've asked you before if I could use some other comparison you've made?)

I'll give credit, of course.
Ew Too small.
it just looks that way because he's on all fours.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Can I use this in my Ridley write up for the week in review? It's so good xD. (also I might've asked you before if I could use some other comparison you've made?)

it just looks that way because he's on all fours.
That's why he shouldn't be a space dog.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
#MonadoMonday

Also, why Chorus Kids?
Because Gematsu hasn't been proven 100% wrong and a Rhythm Heaven rep seems very likely at this point.
Sneaky Spirit Smash Run enemy is good evidence of this.
I mean, Chrom was wrong, but Sal's tipper still got 8/11 characters and Mii Fighters by name. It's probably outdated due to "X/Y Pokemon" and Chrom still being there (pretty sure he was planned at one point).

Not sure if you guys have some personal vendetta against Gematsu (you probably do) but I for one think it still holds some credence. Clearly it missed a few characters so that leaves more than enough room for Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley looks like he's Bowser's pet, ready to go for a walk.

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929

Yeah I don't mind, you can use any of my stuff for the good of Ridley.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'm really, really, really struggling to comprehend why people are so adamant that Ridley won't be revealed before the game launch, it makes no sense, and no one seems to provide a valid reason. Like others are saying, Ridley was teased in a similar manner to Palutena who was later confirmed as playable. What possible purpose would Sakurai have for keeping Ridley secret till after launch? Ridley as a playable character would create massive hype for the game, and no offence to people after other reps, but apart from another 3rd party character or Geno, I can't think anyone else could possibly create as much hype as Ridley. Which along with the fact we might have 1 or 2 more newcomer reveal trailers left makes sense Ridley will be reveal between August to the Japanese release for Smash 3DS, which would be the final hype push, if that isn't the case and Ridley isn't revealed why didn't they keep Mii Fighters, Palutena or Pac-Man for the final stretch?

Because Gematsu hasn't been proven 100% wrong and a Rhythm Heaven rep seems very likely at this point.
Sneaky Spirit Smash Run enemy is good evidence of this.
I mean, Chrom was wrong, but Sal's tipper still got 8/11 characters and Mii Fighters by name. It's probably outdated due to "X/Y Pokemon" and Chrom still being there (pretty sure he was planned at one point).

Not sure if you guys have some personal vendetta against Gematsu (you probably do) but I for one think it still holds some credence. Clearly it missed a few characters so that leaves more than enough room for Ridley.
They also said Little Mac would be revealed at E3, and if Chom was written down why wasn't Lucina as well? Who would have still being a possibility along side Chrom if it was indeed true (as they were thought up roughly around the same time if I remember what was said in the interview correctly). Gematsu was nothing more than a good prediction list to me.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see Ridley remaining secret until launch. He is way too important and too hinted for him to just not be talked about ever again and suddenly found by someone. But it is Sakurai. . .

Edit: hyper ninja'd

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm really, really, really struggling to comprehend why people are so adamant that Ridley won't be revealed before the game launch, it makes no sense, and no one seems to provide a valid reason. Like others are saying, Ridley was teased in a similar manner to Palutena who was later confirmed as playable. What possible purpose would Sakurai have for keeping Ridley secret till after launch? Ridley as a playable character would create massive hype for the game, and no offence to people after other reps, but apart from another 3rd party character or Geno, I can't think anyone else could possibly create as much hype as Ridley. Which along with the fact we might have 1 or 2 more newcomer reveal trailers left makes sense Ridley will be reveal between August to the Japanese release for Smash 3DS, which would be the final hype push, if that isn't the case and Ridley isn't revealed why didn't they keep Mii Fighters, Palutena or Pac-Man for the final stretch?
Maybe Ridley will be unlockable. As long as he is playable I don't care about a trailer.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Because people still long for the good old days in which secret characters were secret. We want that same surprise for ourselves.

Sadly, that's just not possible.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Maybe Ridley will be unlockable. As long as he is playable I don't care about a trailer.
You mean like Sonic was unlockable in Brawl? But of course (everyone say it together) Ridley is the exception

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
You mean like Sonic was unlockable in Brawl? But of course (everyone say it together) Ridley is the exception
Toon Link is an exception.
Wolf is an exception.
Lucario is an exception.
R.O.B. is an exception.
God dammit Steeve secret characters may remain unlockables. Sonic and Snake were exceptions for being Third Parties.

Last edited:

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543
Zoroark is confirmed too, it just is disguised as one of the other characters. :evil:

(Hint: It's Ridley.)
I can see it now.

Mario and Link (or any other pair of fighters) are fighting on Pyrosphere when suddenly a second Link runs past. They're both confused. Then a second Mario runs in and punches Mario. Samus, Link and Mario are confused when Ridley pops up prompting Samus to aim her cannon and shoot. Ridley is about to pose for the confirmation but Zoroark changes back from his Ridley form into Zoroark. ZOROARK MAKES A DISGUISE!

This thread goes from 1300 pages to 2000 pages in a minute.

(btw, first post!) I was one of the Guests back here a few hours ago.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I can see it now.

Mario and Link (or any other pair of fighters) are fighting on Pyrosphere when suddenly a second Link runs past. They're both confused. Then a second Mario runs in and punches Mario. Samus, Link and Mario are confused when Ridley pops up prompting Samus to aim her cannon and shoot. Ridley is about to pose for the confirmation but Zoroark changes back from his Ridley form into Zoroark. ZOROARK MAKES A DISGUISE!

Crashboards goes down for months on end, thus prompting the demise of Crashboards.

Feeexed

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Say it together: Sonic is a third party character.

I don't know why everyone thinks that the world is out to get Ridley. It's just a logical assumption that Ridley, who would clearly be unlockable as most villains are, would be a secret character if secret characters are still a thing. And they probably are.
Because people still long for the good old days in which secret characters were secret. We want that same surprise for ourselves.

Sadly, that's just not possible.
I don't see how secret characters are impossible.

I mean I know they'll be spoiled. But Sakurai will like keep tradition and reveal specific characters after release.
No matter how much hype they would bring.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Toon Link is an exception.
Wolf is an exception.
Lucario is an exception.
R.O.B. is an exception.
God dammit Steeve secret characters may remain unlockables. Sonic and Snake were exceptions for being Third Parties.
Being unlockable and being a secret character is not mutually exclusive is all I'm saying. But people seem to think it is for Ridley, that isn't a reason, it's an excuse, and a safety net if he isn't revealed as a playable character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can see it now.
This thread goes from 1300 pages to 2000 pages in a minute.
If Ridley is "revealed" as a fake-out for Zoroark this thread will single-handed crash the entire site long before it gets to 2000 pages.

Last edited:

I don't know why everyone thinks that the world is out to get Ridley. It's just a logical assumption that Ridley, who would clearly be unlockable as most villains are, would be a secret character if secret characters are still a thing. And they probably are.

I mean I know they'll be spoiled. But Sakurai will like keep tradition and reveal specific characters after release.
Again it isn't really "secret" when we have already seen Ridley. It would be extremely strange for him not to be officially announced. No mention of Ridley after the April direct would probably like a confirmation anyway because we have already seen him. It really doesn't make sense to keep an announced character secret. . .

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
@ Louie G. Louie G.
Gematsu drank the splounge water, Chrom is not playable and Robing and Lucina are playable.
To be fair we can say for sure it's outdated, but we can't say that Shulk and Chorus Kids won't be playable. I really think the eleven names the "leaker" gave us are the first ones Sakurai intended to make playables, and he added names later.
It doesn't mean Ridley is out or in tho.
Anyway we'll see starting tomorrow if it's the disconfirmation week or not.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I know that Robin and Lucina are playable.

This is off topic, but believe it or not most leaks are not 100% correct.
Which we can disregard them entirely because the majority of "leaks" are fake.
Also, Sal's "Tipper" could have just gotten a few lucky guesses.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
People remark Ridley the exception when they're dealing with people who say the possible hints and teasers that pointed towards the inclusion of characters like Palutena don't apply to Ridley. And the 3rd party character argument is used against people who think Goku or Naturo can get in. The context you use it in makes no sense. Ridley was already teased so it's pretty clear Nintendo are going to do something with that, otherwise it would be a wasted opportunity, and like I said, out of all the possible characters Ridley would create the most hype.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Again it isn't really "secret" when we have already seen Ridley. It would be extremely strange for him not to be officially announced. No mention of Ridley after the April direct would probably like a confirmation anyway because we have already seen him. It really doesn't make sense to keep an announced character secret. . .
His name was not pronounced tho...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

The release dates between Japan and the US are long enough to leak the entire roster across the pond.

Assuming Ridley is a secret unlockable, those yearning to know whether or not Ridley is in the game would get their information from a potato-quality picture of the final roster and a forum explaining how Ridley works. I'd like to think that after this much buildup, that Sakurai would rather unveil Ridley with an awesometastic trailer.

Pac-Man is sometimes brought up, but I don't count him due to have very little foreshadowing outside of some Namco Assists.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which we can disregard them entirely because the majority of "leaks" are fake.
Also, Sal's "Tipper" could have just gotten a few lucky guesses.
Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters by name are not lucky guesses.

Let me rephrase that: The majority of legitimate leaks have a few inconsistencies.
Everyone was so quick to disconfirm Gematsu because they didn't like it, but similarly to PokeBeach in the past, you can be spot on with some things yet completely off with others.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

Let me rephrase that: The majority of legitimate leaks have a few inconsistencies.
Everyone was so quick to disconfirm Gematsu because they didn't like it, but similarly to PokeBeach in the past, you can be spot on with some things yet completely off with others.
Didn't he identify Wii Fit Trainer as "Wii Fit Girl" in the first leak though? Not disagreeing or anything, just pointing it out.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

Why are they not lucky guesses? Mii's have a growing importance to Nintendo and have appeared in many games while Wii Fit sold tremendously.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Why are they not lucky guesses? Mii's have a growing importance to Nintendo and have appeared in many games while Wii Fit sold tremendously.
Dude. You are embarrassing yourself. Wii Fit Trainer is no lucky guess, especially because everyone else he leaked besides Chrom was confirmed. Even Villager was "deconfirmed" prior to being announced

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Nobody referred to Miis as "Mii Fighters" though.
And come on, did you expect Wii Fit Trainer? It makes sense in hindsight, but I can count the people expecting her on my two hands.
Didn't he identify Wii Fit Trainer as "Wii Fit Girl" in the first leak though? Not disagreeing or anything, just pointing it out.
Maybe he did. It's undeniable that Wii Fit Trainer was the character he was referring to, though.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I like how this thread is slowly turning into a "is Gematsu real or not" thread.

I personally think the often mentioned villain trailer with Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo would probably generate the most hype. Ridley being very requested here and the other two being highly requested pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
The release dates between Japan and the US are long enough to leak the entire roster across the pond.

Assuming Ridley is a secret unlockable, those yearning to know whether or not Ridley is in the game would get their information from a potato-quality picture of the final roster and a forum explaining how Ridley works. I'd like to think that after this much buildup, that Sakurai would rather unveil Ridley with an awesometastic trailer.

Pac-Man is sometimes brought up, but I don't count him due to have very little foreshadowing outside of some Namco Assists.
That's what annoys me the most, the fact that if Ridley was revealed after release it would be through some low quality photo which people would have to try and work out if he was legit by looking through all the fakes and possibly legit ones. Then there's the fact there was clear build up and the best reason people can come up with is because he's unlockable, why would they tease him but also want him to be a secret character? It seems counter-productive to me

Last edited:
Top Bottom