• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I think the point is that character sizes are inconsistent even in the franchise. One major argument I see flying around is Ridley's signature trait is him being big. Obviously people don't know anything about Ridley, because he tends to always be one of, if not THE smallest boss in every game. Ridley's signature trait is being fast and powerful, one of the final bosses of the game in most cases, and having led Samus on throughout much of the game.

In this game Ridley would probably be slow moving normally, but he'd have fast attacks that allow him to cover ground and attack quickly.
Yes, that was basically the point of what I'm saying. Character sizes are very inconsistent.

I know I'm going to get a ton of hate for this already, so please don't murder me: I have not played many of the Metroid games. I played probably around 3 games (Original, Super, Prime Hunters, but I'm going to get Metroid U when that's a thing). This being the case, I can argue a good case for Ridley (he's at the top of my list for newcomers), but most of it is using other characters as references. So thanks for getting me the fast and power part, too. I appreciate it. :)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
So this anecdote is a bit ridiculous - but most things in college are.

I remember fighting Ridley in Metroid Prime 3 and my Japanese roommate at the time had just basically kicked down the door because he was high on cocaine after hanging out with some really trashy gutter punks and heard the ridley theme.

Mind you, this is not a very difficult point in the game - it's basically the very beginning, but this was the Wii at the height of its novelty, so people were generally interested.

He kept shouting "SHOOT HIM - SHOOT THE PURPLE DINOSAUR" - our other roommate thought we were playing like a Barney murder simulator.

Good times.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I know I'm going to get a ton of hate for this already, so please don't murder me: I have not played many of the Metroid games. I played probably around 3 games (Original, Super, Prime Hunters, but I'm going to get Metroid U when that's a thing). This being the case, I can argue a good case for Ridley (he's at the top of my list for newcomers), but most of it is using other characters as references. So thanks for getting me the fast and power part, too. I appreciate it. :)
I haven't played any Metroid games, actually.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
No. No it doesn't. You're clearly not thinking right. It actually supports my argument. Mushroom Kingdom U was revealed only within a month prior to E3 2014, so it's reasonable for a few things for that stage to not be complete. Whereas Pyrosphere was revealed a month or two after E3 2013, and looked almost complete. Now, why would it take 8 months of development for Ridley whilst trying to do other things on top, and still not be done? Pyrosphere is one of the earliest stages to have been revealed, and yet Ridlephobes are saying that the stage hazard (the Pyrosphere's main attraction) it's meant to have is apparently "incomplete"... Ridiculous...
A stage's reveal is no indication as to how far in development it is or long it has been done. Are you implying that since we've had characters / stages not revealed yet that they just recently started working on them? They've been working on all the characters and stages since the beginning of game development. For all you know they could have begun work on Mushroom Kingdom U before Pyrosphere. Maybe that's why Mushroom Kingdom was complete enough to be used in the E3 demo. You don't know. You're making assumptions that lead you to believe you're right. That is being biased, whether you admit it or not.

The only "ludicrous" thing here is your assumption that a stage hazard would not complete after all these months later. Yes development takes time and effort, but not this amount for something for a stage that seems completed almost a year ago, especially from those with experience with developing fighting games. If the stage had been revealed recently, I would've understood having an incomplete hazard, but since it wasn't, there's no excuse (other than bad development planning). Either Sakurai doesn't want to talk about it until after 3DS version's release (which is silly, because if you're going to dis-confirm a character, you do it straight away like the others, not a year later), or he's hiding Ridley's playable status.
Again, you don't know how long it takes to program Ridley's bos AI and you're making assumptions that back up your own desire. Most fighting games don't have a giant Ridley in one of the stages, nor many of the other features in a Smash Bros. game. And no, he probably doesn't want to talk too much about the Wii U version until after the 3DS version's release, because right now he's trying to hype up the 3DS version. He'll hype up the Wii U version afterwards.

"Unbiased", right... and I'm the president of Australia. Ridlephobe is a polite term I created for TooBigot, you know the term used to describe the idiots that hate (not fear) the character for no legitimate reason and claim he's "too big" for a non-canon game. The same idiots that assume that Samus is full scale 6'3" trophy (and using her to compare sizes with other characters), and master hand is a giant hand, when all characters bar master hand are tiny figures/trophies, and Master Hand is a normal sized human hand from someone using their imagination and playing with the Nintendo character trophies/figures. The same idiots that ignore Sakurai's messages of canon size doesn't matter in the series.
Oh, so if someone disagrees with you then they're an idiot? Very mature.
Please actually make the effort to read what people have posted about, i.e. the analyses and theories, on previous pages in the thread, rather than going into a support thread and going "hurr durr he's not playable you guys,100% evidence he's a stage hazard [you're in denial]".
There's that immaturity again. If you want to debate, I'll debate, but I'm not going to pander to your immature namecalling and mocking. That's what people resort to when they know they're wrong, anyway.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Yeah I'm saying no to Ridley on Monday, I'm much to convinced he'll be revealed in August

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ridley confirmed to be Nintendo itself. So, he has higher chances than MARIO because what is more important to Nintendo - Mario or Nintendo?

It was posted here already...anyway, it doesn`t matters since not everyone saw it. I doubt he was serious because if he WAS, then...that is impossible. Ridley of course is not Nintendo. But he is not a simple meme and no one thinks so...i hope no one thinks so...

Congratulations, @ AndreaAC AndreaAC , your post is this thread`s post №44444.

Which post in this thread was post #666?
Congrats on the 4444th post, Andrea!

Did you know that the Japanese word for "four" is also the same one for "death"? Given Ridley's status as "Cunning God of Death", that must mean something good, huh?

Also, purple is seen as the color of death. Ridley is purple too. Coincidence?
O.O I didn't even noticed the number....it is kind of strange, it is the second time that when I post something with Ridley on it....a dreaded number appears, first it was the 666 page...and now the 44444 post? I don't think also wearing red the day I did that post (the color I give mainly the meaning of blood...Ridley is a bloodthirsty dragon....) was a coincidence....YAY! GO ME! :D

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A stage's reveal is no indication as to how far in development it is or long it has been done. Are you implying that since we've had characters / stages not revealed yet that they just recently started working on them? They've been working on all the characters and stages since the beginning of game development. For all you know they could have begun work on Mushroom Kingdom U before Pyrosphere. Maybe that's why Mushroom Kingdom was complete enough to be used in the E3 demo. You don't know. You're making assumptions that lead you to believe you're right. That is being biased, whether you admit it or not.

Again, you don't know how long it takes to program Ridley's bos AI and you're making assumptions that back up your own desire. Most fighting games don't have a giant Ridley in one of the stages, nor many of the other features in a Smash Bros. game. And no, he probably doesn't want to talk too much about the Wii U version until after the 3DS version's release, because right now he's trying to hype up the 3DS version. He'll hype up the Wii U version afterwards.

Oh, so if someone disagrees with you then they're an idiot? Very mature.
There's that immaturity again. If you want to debate, I'll debate, but I'm not going to pander to your immature namecalling and mocking. That's what people resort to when they know they're wrong, anyway.
We are willing to debate, but if you keep looking at the negatives for Ridley, you will not be liked by us very much, especially considering if you look at the shadow analysis, you would see Ridley is slightly taller than Bowser

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The only way I see us getting Ridley now is if they pull something like they did with Wolf or Toon Link for Brawl... make them a deep, unlockable character who is mostly just a clone (in this case, probably Charizard).

D

Deleted member

make them a deep, unlockable character who is mostly just a clone (in this case, probably Charizard).
eeeEEEEEEEEEEWW.

Ridley doesn't have Flare Blitz or Rock Smash or moves that could be clones of those.

A Charizard clone wouldn't make any sense to me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
eeeEEEEEEEEEEWW.

Ridley doesn't have Flare Blitz or Rock Smash or moves that could be clones of those.

A Charizard clone wouldn't make any sense to me.
Yeah, plus they have completely different body types. Charizard's a bit pudgy, and Roidley, well, he's Roidley...

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I can't stand how people are comming to this thread making idiotic comments, neglecting everything that has been said a 100 pages back and than get all butthurt for being called an idiot. If you want to repeat things please do it somewhere else I'm getting tired of these stupid people comming in this thread spreading negativity, starting flamewars and REPEATING DISCUSSIONS. (''Ridley will be a zard clone if he's in rofl'')

Please give these guys a topicban.

How do I put 'Saltwater gem' on ignore btw? Can someone help me?

Edit: nvm got it :D

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't stand how people are comming to this thread making idiotic comments, neglecting everything that has been said a 100 pages back and than get all butthurt for being called an idiot. If you want to repeat things please do it somewhere else I'm getting tired of these stupid people comming in this thread spreading negativity, starting flamewars and REPEATING DISCUSSIONS. (''Ridley will be a zard clone if he's in rofl'')

Go on his profile and look at the right, you will find Ignore

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The only way I see us getting Ridley now is if they pull something like they did with Wolf or Toon Link for Brawl... make them a deep, unlockable character who is mostly just a clone (in this case, probably Charizard).
You think wolf is a clone? Did you play as him? Not a clone.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Edit: nvm got it :D
I don't understand why you are being so rude.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Can't speak for him, but the mere idea that Ridley would be a Charizard clone is laughably ludicrous for a number of reasons.
I've heard other people bring it up. Its not hard at all to look at Ridley's boss battles and see how unique he'd be. Super Metroid is an excellent example and I saw tons of potential from that moveset alone, and in Other M Ridley is mostly grounded as well from what I've heard. They can base his ground moveset off of that largely.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Guys, lots of toobigots are gonna come on here, and we're gonna come under fire. I don't know whose getting revealed Monday, non of us do. Sakurai could just be giving it away or he could be misleading us (as always). We're just gonna have to pull through. And on that day that Ridley gets revealed, we're gonna have one sweet, sweet victory.
./spoiler]

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Can't speak for him, but the mere idea that Ridley would be a Charizard clone is laughably ludicrous for a number of reasons.
Ganondorf is a C. Falcon clone tho. But we didn't get any clone newcomer yet, so I suppose it won't be a clone. But going ahead saying it's stupid and deserves to be ignored is not being better than a "toobigot". If you want people to respect your opinion, respect theirs first instead of killing on sight.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I don't understand why you are being so rude.
Because after a year it's getting annoying.

I personally hate Palutena and didn't believe that she would get in. Did I go to the Palutena thread a single time to tell the supporters I hate her and start a discussion why she would not get in? Nope. Why? Because I'm not going to spread negativity in a support thread and repeat discussions that's been held months ago. It's annoying and dumb and doesn't make sense.

If I don't like a character or believe their chances of getting in are low that's fine because it's my opinion. But the least I can do is staying away from their support threads. Why would I go there? For what purpose??

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I personally hate Palutena and didn't believe that she would get in. Did I go to the Palutena thread a single time to tell the supporters I hate her and start a discussion why she would not get in? Nope. Why? Because I'm not going to spread negativity in a support thread and repeat discussions that's been held months ago. It's annoying and dumb and doesn't make sense.

If I don't like a character or believe their chances of getting in are low that's fine because it's my opinion. But the least I can do is staying away from their support threads. Why would I go there? For what purpose??
The thing is, he wants Ridley in the game but doesn't see him getting in another way than being a clone. He is still a supporter.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I personally hate Palutena and didn't believe that she would get in. Did I go to the Palutena thread a single time to tell the supporters I hate her and start a discussion why she would not get in? Nope. Why? Because I'm not going to spread negativity in a support thread and repeat discussion that's been held months ago. Its's annoying and dumb and doesn't make sense.

If I don't like a character or believe their chances of getting in are low that's fine because it's my opnion. But the least I can do is staying away from their support threads. Why would I go there? For what purpose??
I'll sometimes go to support threads and comment on how I don't think a certain character isn't going to be playable... but I'll only really do that if I support the character myself. I'll make a comment like "Oh, I'd love for this character to be in" or "I don't mind if the character is in," but I don't think the character is playable for XYZ reason. However, if it turns out the character is playable, I'll be happy.

I won't go into a support thread and try to convince people there why they're being stupid for suggesting a character will be playable or might be playable, because its a waste of time and I'm just making myself look like a jerk in the process. Its not a big deal if its someone saying "oh, I don't mind if this character is playable, I just don't think it'll happen," but it gets really annoying when someone goes into a support thread and spouts off why a character shouldn't and won't be playable and mocks the supporters in the process.

If you don't believe the character is playable and don't want said character to be playable, fine. Comment on it in topics dedicated to that sort of thing (such as in the Rate the Chances thread, or when a poll topic comes up), but the support threads are intended for, well, supporters. You can support whoever the hell you want, and you can have whatever opinions you want... but you're not doing yourself any favors trying to demand people stop supporting characters because Gematsu is Gospel and we know all the newcomers and XYZ character is never going to be playable because you personally don't like said character and don't think said character should ever be playable.

Which is all I ever see coming from people that pop into the Ridley thread to bash on supporters. Stating your opinion is fine, but if you're just trolling there's no place for that.

The thing is, he wants Ridley in the game but doesn't see him getting in another way than being a clone. He is still a supporter.
I suppose its ok to argue why someone things XYZ character might become a clone for whatever reason, but here's the thing. Ganondorf can verifiably be made into a clone because he at least has a somewhat similar build to Captain Falcon and could potentially perform the same moves. It doesn't take a lot of effort to look at how Ridley fights and realize that not only does he not have in any way, shape, or form anything close to the same build as Charizard, but he doesn't play anything like Charizard either.

Ganondorf at least had a close enough build to become a clone, that's the only reason Ganondorf was made a clone. Ridley isn't anywhere close enough to be capable of being a clone.

Now, I do agree, Exegguter's comment was a bit rude... but I can also understand the frustration of Ridley fans constantly getting ganged up on with repeated discussions of bad arguments, not the least of which being "Ridley is too big" but no one else is.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I did not watch the Direct live like most of you probably had. I was at class when the thing started to air online, and I had to get my info from reading about it.

When I heard about Ridley's shadow appearing on Pyrosphere, the first thought that came to mind was that he flew over the stage like a large bird of prey, warning others of his arrival.

I wasn't expecting Ridley to be moving sluggishly across the stage, or on the playable character field for that matter.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
One unfortunate thing about this new character reveal is that there probably aren't any Nintendo Directs coming up for new reveals. That's why he chose a random time to reveal.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
One unfortunate thing about this new character reveal is that there probably aren't any Nintendo Directs coming up for new reveals. That's why he chose a random time to reveal.
August my friend. We will get Chrom there, and chorus men in september don't worry. :troll:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
When I saw Ridley's shadow I just say in a derpy cowboy voice:
"Hey guys I'm just gonna fly right over you guys OK then bye."

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Forgot who originally said it but, I'm also starting to see any new characters which was said to be leaked by Sal as undervalued, by it just being another tick off the leaked roaster list

Still sticking with my guns it's either Shulk or Ridley Monday, Shulk due to him being highly request and having a upcoming game, and Ridley because of the teasing and fan requests. Only other person I can think of at the moment if Chorus kids (if it's true), but I see them nothing more than a gimmick character, saying that I think the same way about R.O.B. and Mr Game and Watch, so likely me just being bias.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
As soon as Ridley gets revealed, SWARM SHOKIO'S YOUTUBE COMMENTS.
HE MUST BE THE FIRST TO KNOW.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Didn't have to resort to insults
Wow.

Charizard has the CLOSEST body structure to Ridley. In the same way that Wolf is not a perfect 1:1 clone of Fox, Ridley wouldn't necessarily be a perfect 1:1 clone of Charizard, but a clone for all intents and purposes.

And screw it, I'm done mincing words. Really, how rude, bitter, and infantile can you get? If you want to sit in your little Ridley echo-chamber like a bunch of hive-minded lunatics, lashing out at anyone who doesn't follow 1113 pages of discussion or who doesn't perfectly step in line like a North Korean military parade, maybe you'd begin to understand why you're a piteous laughing stock outside of your little hermit kingdom. That obviously doesn't pertain to everyone here, but really, many of you have gone off full cult with this nonsense. Can it really be that tough to figure out why you're paranoid about 'anti-Ridley' people coming in to gloat?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My essay has now 44 likes.

Yesterday, I got like 14 alerts after been gone for 30 minutes because of my posts here got liked.

Wake up, get 10 alerts and most of them are likes here.

I love so much this thread :)

Top Bottom