• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

bobadz

Smash Ace
I just realized somthing when I was talking to fellow Ridley supporter on gamefaqs.

Sakurai said this game would be faster and more competitive friendly then brawl right? Well I think that completely throws out the evolution gimmick for Ridley!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just realized somthing when I was talking to fellow Ridley supporter on gamefaqs.

Sakurai said this game would be faster and more competitive friendly then brawl right? Well I think that completely throws out the evolution gimmick for Ridley!
Not necessarily.

I mean a gimmick doesn't make a character less competitive. Look at Ice Climbers.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think we're in KansasBrinstar anymore, Kraid.
Well, because we're talking about how it could approach to character development. Ridley's size, stance, weight, body composition, etc plays a huge role in how he plays and how he would be balanced, just like every other character (it isn't just a Ridley thing Silly Ridley haters). By discussing it we are mentioning possible ways it could work, which means that this would effect how Ridley as a character would work.

If say Ridley is crawling, he could more easily "push himself" up into the air (kinda like Charizard's Down B in Project M), and thus, make his ground attacks moreso about going into the air than if he was a standing character, and would make everything about being in the air. If Ridley stands on two feet, then he could be a character with balance between the two (which to me sounds very stale, as we as an unfitting way for Ridley to work).

However, I think the former is more interesting, unique, and fitting, and really would make Ridley not just work better, but stand out and be totally different than anyone else in smash. We've had characters who are heavily reliant on the air, but none that quite work with their ground game like that. Plus, if this is indeed Ridley's playstyle, it could mean he could lead into some cool air combos, and even spikes (I imagine his down air would be a downward claw/tail smack spike of cunning death).

D

Deleted member

That makes Ridley sound like a character that makes you **** your pants once he's in the air.

.....I like it.

Sure, the aim of the game is to send your opponents flying, but that's exactly what Ridley wants.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If say Ridley is crawling, he could more easily "push himself" up into the air (kinda like Charizard's Down B in Project M), and thus, make his ground attacks moreso about going into the air than if he was a standing character, and would make everything about being in the air. If Ridley stands on two feet, then he could be a character with balance between the two (which to me sounds very stale-sounding).
I like this idea. I like it a lot. Rewarding a player for crouching/being in the more "comfortable" position would make me happy.

I'd imagine that Ridley would have mostly tail and bite based attacks as far as regular moves go, both to differentiate himself more from Bowser/Charizard to stay true to his "feral" fighting style, and to make more use of his excellent ranged combat. Things like claw and wing based attacks are better saved for extreme close-quarters fighting (grab attacks, side/down/up specials, or certain punishing smash attacks), in my opinion. People thinking he wouldn't/can't work probably neglect to see him as anything other than a really big dragon that plays essentially like Bowser with Charizard's jumps. My extreme pessimism aside, I strive for the day we can rejoice in proving all the naysayers wrong.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think if they do use other m ridley, that they will make some adjustments in some aspects like they did with samus and the panel lining and perforated metal. Perhaps even a better beak or at least one more akin to his past designs while taking a bit from both.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Since we're talking poses I think it'd be pretty cool if he'd move like in the Omega Ridley fight, where he switches between going on 2 and 4 feet, and when he does walk on 2 he's extremely hunched down, nearly rendering Samus higher than him, but still making him long.

Obviously Ridley would still center around his air game, a heavy air character isn't exactly anything that we currently have.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally I like Other M's Ridley's body and limbs (minus the spikes). His tail and wings look cool too.

All they really need to change is his head.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I see Vaztor is getting some flak on GameFAQs as well. People have grown tired of his propaganda. Reminds me of a certain user here.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HMMM, you know, I suddenly warmed up to the idea of a quadruped Ridley in Smash. There are so few in Smash (like, one?) that it might be pretty interesting having a really big one like Ridley. It would also help (even more so) immediately differentiate him from Charizard.

Would still be kind of weird though. Might just be me. I mean, he's always had a humanoid body, so it seems like walking upright would just be more natural. I figure the reason he DOES often end up on all fours is to make him more level with Samus, or something. A matter of practicality.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So Oasis, when are you gonna change your heading, since it's no longer CURRENTLY TRUE ;)

Also, I bet if Ridley gets in, he'll be Other M inspired.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Pfff, are you kidding. Don't you know anything about propaganda.

You say it enough, it becomes true.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll give you a sneak peak:

K. Rool 634
Ridley 628

it's happening

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'll give you a sneak peak:

K. Rool 634
Ridley 628

it's happening
It's a six numbers difference, Ridley might catch up again, no need to change the thread title everytime K. Rool and Ridley switches. If he's behind by 20 or so votes I'd buy it.

Actually, with Mega Man out of the way doesn't K. Rool become the most wanted newcomer in general considering Mewtwo is a returning character?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's a distinct chance he could be Newtwo (either different forme or with a completely revamped moveset), so he'd still technically be a newcomer.

But that's for another thread. Although I imagine the lot of us Ridley fans have a thing for purple tailed, genocidal monstrosities.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Standing up he should look like this. Kinda hunched over like Bowser is.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Looks like the hunters from resident evil....View attachment 970
They could use other m ridley and cute him up a bit...but wouldnt you rather have brawls style.....
Personally, I like Other M's Ridley the most followed by Brawl's design. He looks more adept at walking/fighting on land which looked kinda awkward for the other models. The only thing I don't like is his beak being too pointy. The thing I don't like about Brawl's is that he looks kinda skeletal.

The thing is, it just wouldn't make sense to use Other M Samus and not Other M Ridley, especially if they plan to use similar designs for Ridley in future games.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Personally, I like Other M's Ridley the most followed by Brawl's design. He looks more adept at walking/fighting on land which looked kinda awkward for the other models. The only thing I don't like is his beak being too pointy. The thing I don't like about Brawl's is that he looks kinda skeletal.

The thing is, it just wouldn't make sense to use Other M Samus and not Other M Ridley, especially if they plan to use similar designs for Ridley in future games.
Hmmmmmm yh i hear you....true true.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley's design always changes, I expect a new design once a new Metroid game sees the light of day again. If Ridley appears I'm fully expecting his Other M appearance, and while I think it's his weakest looking design along with Neo-Ridley, I still don't mind, the beak looks stupid sure, but Ridley is Ridley, and he still kicks ass, no matter what I'll probably scream like a little girl if he's revealed as a new character at any occassion.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Ridley's design always changes, I expect a new design once a new Metroid game sees the light of day again. If Ridley appears I'm fully expecting his Other M appearance, and while I think it's his weakest looking design along with Neo-Ridley, I still don't mind, the beak looks stupid sure, but Ridley is Ridley, and he still kicks ***, no matter what I'll probably scream like a little girl if he's revealed as a new character at any occassion.
What I mean is that for a while now, Ridley has had the same Metroid Prime premise(barring Neo Ridley) in his design and that this Ridley strays more from that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I never played Other M. So I'm a bit surprised that Ridley got buff as hell! No wonder Samus was freaking out when she saw him. :troll: But I'm not too big on the beak design though.

Groose

Smash Champion
Seriously, there are just so many ways that Ridley could work. Hunched over, shrunken to scale, upright as the largest character... Personally, I'd be satisfied as long as he got in and they made it work. He's my most desired new character.

I've heard speculation that his chances have taken a hit now that E3 has wrapped up. They claim that because he is a commonly requested character, his absence in the first reveal is telling. I disagree. In the trailer, they revealed three types of character: Mega Man (one of the most wanted characters), Villager (popular, but not among the most wanted characters), and WFT (a WTF character). Ridley was simply not shown because they opted to show Mega Man instead. If they had shown both Ridley and Mega Man, they would have revealed the two most popular characters in one shot, leaving nobody of such calibur behind.

I've got a hunch that our most wanted newcomer will make it in. At least, he has a better chance than the Kremling King, who is once again absent from his own series...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've got a hunch that our most wanted newcomer will make it in. At least, he has a better chance than the Kremling King, who is once again absent from his own series...
K. Rool and Ridley are probably both going to get in. they are both just as likely.

Groose

Smash Champion
K. Rool and Ridley are probably both going to get in. they are both just as likely.
I certainly hope so. K. Rool is my SECOND most wanted character. I'd argue that although his absence in Returns isn't much of a problem, his absence in Tropical Freeze is one. It really seems as if he's on the back burner. Additionally, he may have to compete with Dixie for a third spot in the DK franchise. Ridley doesn't have any competition for a Metroid slot, unless if you count Zero Suit Samus.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I hope your right.
I hope I'm right, too.
I certainly hope so. K. Rool is my SECOND most wanted character. I'd argue that although his absence in Returns isn't much of a problem, his absence in Tropical Freeze is one. It really seems as if he's on the back burner. Additionally, he may have to compete with Dixie for a third spot in the DK franchise. Ridley doesn't have any competition for a Metroid slot, unless if you count Zero Suit Samus.
ZZS was already in brawl, so that wouldn't be that big of a deal. I do see a lot of people wanting Sylux on other sites (and Miiverse), though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That makes Ridley sound like a character that makes you **** your pants once he's in the air.

.....I like it.

Sure, the aim of the game is to send your opponents flying, but that's exactly what Ridley wants.
That's a pretty great quick write-up of what I want in Ridley. He could use his tail, teeth, claws, or spit say fireballs at his foes, and use them to chase his opponent to the air and just thrash, throw, and burn them wherever he wants, and with a good player playing him, no air dodging is going to save your from his deadly wrath.
I think if they do use other m ridley, that they will make some adjustments in some aspects like they did with samus and the panel lining and perforated metal. Perhaps even a better beak or at least one more akin to his past designs while taking a bit from both.
I think Sakurai likes the Super Metroid design of Ridley with the purple skin too much, hence why it has been in all 3 smash games thus far. I think some Other M design inspirations may be there, but it won't be the all out ugly freaky creature that was actually in the game (no spikes or weird upper chest area that makes it look like Ridley has a freaking chest tumor). If they do that, I will have no quarrels with Ridley's design in Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Standing up he should look like this. Kinda hunched over like Bowser is.

I'm going to have to agree with Oasis on this one, I would not be against Ridley looking like this. I never had a chance to play Other M, so I don't hate it, if not only because of lack of experience. But from what I've gathered, ridley seems portrayed as more... visceral, animalistic, and cruel. I mean, honestly, just from the picture above, I'm pretty sold. I agree, the head could be a little better, but those wings are done amazingly. And remember what sakurai said about Samus in the Nintendo direct - "I didn't just pull her from Other M, we added details, and stuff" (exact quote, I'm sure) So even if Ridley is based off of Other M, they'll touch him up.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Seriously, there are just so many ways that Ridley could work. Hunched over, shrunken to scale, upright as the largest character... Personally, I'd be satisfied as long as he got in and they made it work. He's my most desired new character.

I've heard speculation that his chances have taken a hit now that E3 has wrapped up. They claim that because he is a commonly requested character, his absence in the first reveal is telling. I disagree. In the trailer, they revealed three types of character: Mega Man (one of the most wanted characters), Villager (popular, but not among the most wanted characters), and WFT (a WTF character). Ridley was simply not shown because they opted to show Mega Man instead. If they had shown both Ridley and Mega Man, they would have revealed the two most popular characters in one shot, leaving nobody of such calibur behind.

The speculation would have been true had the characters that were unveiled at E3 been of the same kind as the ones in Brawl, aka characters from existing franchises. These characters were all from new franchises, and given that Ridley is from an already existing one it wasn't viable to introduce him at E3. Ridley and presumably K. Rool too are probably gonna get a Sonic/DDD/Olimar-esque reveal, simply being shown on the website, or who knows, they might show up at some event like Comic Con or w/e. Fact lies that Ridley not appearing at E3 doesn't hurt his chances given the circumstances.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh man. What would Ridley's little BLURB be? We've had "Villager comes to town," "Mega Man joins the battle," and "Wii Fit Trainer weighs in."

For some reason I can't stop thinking of "Ridley raids again!" and I'm sure Golden will laugh at me. BUT RAID IS A GOOD WORD TO USE FOR RIDLEY I THINK.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh man. What would Ridley's little BLURB be? We've had "Villager comes to town," "Mega Man joins the battle," and "Wii Fit Trainer weighs in."

For some reason I can't stop thinking of "Ridley raids again!" and I'm sure Golden will laugh at me. BUT RAID IS A GOOD WORD TO USE FOR RIDLEY I THINK.
how about:
Ridley's BIG day

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
how about:
Ridley's BIG day
Or Ridley's BIG Arrival.
Or how about putting Ridley in the next NBA 2K/NBA Live game, because the NBA's motto is "BIG!" which apparently defines Ridley! :chuckle:
Although I imagine the lot of us Ridley fans have a thing for purple tailed, genocidal monstrosities.
Exactly. Who doesn't love a good purple flying dragon monster genocidal maniac mad scientist genius with a sense of superiority due to his superior species, greater physical power, and supreme intelligence=??? If you don't want all that in Smash, then I say you must want some really crappy character (like Daisy in her sports outfit crappy).
They are both the two most wanted newcomers by far, and so far, I think they look like locks or near locks. Every other potential newcomer that could be added seems largely up in the air, maybe sans the 3 potentially confirmed characters, Dixie, and Pac-Man (but even their chances/popularity, rumors/prophecies aside, are much smaller).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Id be fine with: "Ridley crashes the party"
More like "Ridley Smashes the Party" or "Ridley sizes up the competition!" :laugh:
Save that for K. Rool: "K. Rool krashes the party."
That would be a freaking awesome line for K. Rool. That or "The King is here," or "The King and I."
I imagine something like "Ridley comes soaring in" or something.
I prefer "swooping in," because swooping is such a cool word. Plus, it's freaking awesome to say! Say it out loud with me! SWOOP! SWOOP! SWOOP! SWWWOOOOPPP!!! chuckle: :psycho: :grin: ;)

Top Bottom