• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

;Juice-And-Eggs;

Smash Rookie
Oh God no. The day I feared has finally arrived. Please let this be something minor. We don't want another...*gulp* Melee. Come on though, Sakurai, first Vectoring now this? It's like he puts this **** here on purpose just to rip it away from people. Granted, their tears go great with this pizza, but still though. Remember the Dark Ages, people. Don't let it happen again.
Is there a problem in playing Melee competitively? Even if you despise it, the competitive scene for it will just keep growing and growing thanks to EVO, whether you like it or not. Besides, why shouldn't there be depth in a game like Smash 4? It what makes it more engaging and satisfactory once you learn it imo.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hat's off to the people who uses these tech's, I don't like the the fact that these techs wear down your thumbstick much faster than actually playing the game without exploiting it. The Thumbstick is the most crucial part of the controller and for movement in a game like this, I watch my friends go through plenty of GC sticks because of all of these crazy inputs that weren't really intended. This stuff does help the meta but for me its not worth me tearing down my controller.
Tapping doesn't mean tapping with force, just...fast. It's possible to do it light and fast.

I still don't get how people keep breaking their stuff.

Even my 3ds was fine, and I've played over 2000 matches on that thing.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Perfect pivots are rather easy to do . . . however trying to do things such as attacks and grabs out of a perfect pivot is where it can get tricky, but it is manageable. Just gotta put in the practice.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I am interested in it but I have mixed feelings on it.

It is a HUGE deal in the community and I, at least, have some interest in how to perform this technique (if someone could tell me how to do it I would highly appreciate it) but at the same time I feel that the very basics still remain to be one of the most important aspects of how to play this game competitively and this new tech does little to change that, at least for now (its not like in the case of wavedashing, which influenced both basics AND advanced techs back in Melee).

Edit: This is somewhat similar to dash dancing in how the input is placed on the controller (sort of like a "half dash dance").

Last edited:

EustaceDaBum

Smash Rookie
NNID
brianm12
I really like the way this looks. It seems like it's going to make the game look a bit exciting, and I don't think this is anything that would be patched, being so simple.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
and then watch as nintendo patches this up. seriously, hasn't anyone learned yet? don't reveal things like this or nintendo will notice it.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030

Pyr

Smash Lord

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
and then watch as nintendo patches this up. seriously, hasn't anyone learned yet? don't reveal things like this or nintendo will notice it.
This was announced in the 50 facts extravaganza, basically. This guy\s just showing all the options people have FROM a perfect pivot.

Again, I highly doubt Sakurai isn't aware these things are possible.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
CF longest perfect pivot.
Perfect pivot into falcon punch.
Top tier.

Player -0

Smash Hero
People are saying this is hard...but I wonder why...I've been able to do these things quite easily in the middle of battle. Wavedashing EFFECTIVELY is by far harder than doing this EFFECTIVELY. Sure, Wavedashing is longer-

But this is something Sakurai added to the game as another option for us players. SAKURAI added an advanced technique to the game.

I honestly DOUBT Sakurai would patch this out, as I also HIGHLY doubt he DIDN'T know about the potential of perfect pivoting.

I'm loving this video, because I knew it was useful, but damn, if it could be used like that, in a few years this game will be actually really competitive.
I'm fairly certain this has been in the game since 64. I think 64 players use it a lot.

Not sure why it wasn't used in Brawl that much though.

As said earlier in the comments I'm 90% sure that this is also an exploit of the game's engine. Not added intentionally at all.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Next patch coming for that booty!

Nah, I actually hope this stays, seems kinda cool.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm fairly certain this has been in the game since 64. I think 64 players use it a lot.

Not sure why it wasn't used in Brawl that much though.

As said earlier in the comments I'm 90% sure that this is also an exploit of the game's engine. Not added intentionally at all.
So why would pivoting be an announced mechanic?

I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet Sakurai knows all this is possible.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
IGN quoted an interpretation of a bad translation? Can't say I'm surprised.

He has no IMMEDIATE balance patch plans, but will balance in the future if need be.
That's why I said to take this with a grain of salt. We all know that IGN can be full of crap at times (#TooMuchWater, #CODgamesAlwaysGeta9outof10, etc...)

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
So why would pivoting be an announced mechanic?

I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet Sakurai knows all this is possible.
Pivot grabs and pivot side attacks are different from perfect pivoting.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Is there a problem in playing Melee competitively? Even if you despise it, the competitive scene for it will just keep growing and growing thanks to EVO, whether you like it or not. Besides, why shouldn't there be depth in a game like Smash 4? It what makes it more engaging and satisfactory once you learn it imo.
Not the competitive scene in general. Just a crowd of them. You know which ones I'm talking about. I'm fine with the SCENE, it's the Melee crowd that I can't stand. And the ones who ***** about this game not being competitive and, you know, petty **** like that.

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
Not the competitive scene in general. Just a crowd of them. You know which ones I'm talking about. I'm fine with the SCENE, it's the Melee crowd that I can't stand. And the ones who ***** about this game not being competitive and, you know, petty **** like that.
So people should just shut their mouths, is that your solution?

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I hate that crowd that hates on the melee crowd cause they dont like the new games because they are not melee. You know which ones I'm talking about.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Plot twist: Sakurai freaks out about this and says "FINE! you want wavedashing so bad?! here it is! *patches an easy to execute replacement in the next update" HOPE YOU'RE ****ING HAPPY NOW! goddamn competitive players..."

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't play Smash 4, but this title was very misleading. I've known about this since Melee back when I was first starting up and terrible at the game.

I mean no disrespect, but Wavedashing and dashing followed by a quick turnaround aren't quite the same thing.

Last edited:

;Juice-And-Eggs;

Smash Rookie
The people who constantly bash other smash games other than Melee is just a vocal minority of the crowd. Sure it gets annoying, but at least do your best to ignore them and your life will be a lot easier lol.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Isn't the same mechanic applying though?
Perfect Pivoting seems to be a walk's turning animation while maintaining the momentum of the start of a dash, which is why you can perform almost any action from it. In contrast, regular pivot attacks occur during a dash's turning animation.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This reminds me of when "pivot walking" was supposed to revolutionize the way that Brawl moved.

Aka this will be nothing.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It's kind of hard to pull off, but hopefully I'll get it right soon

But for now; rip in piece left thumb

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Nice flamebait there, buddy.
Flame bait you say? Quite the opposite, as the Melee community is known for "don't like our game, your game isn't melee, your game sucks."Can't tell you how many times I go to a live stream and see "This game isn't melee, it's pretty casual. (4 paragraph long Melee rant)." in Smash 4 Twitch streams. It gets preeeeeetty annoying, mate.

That's why I made my post, not to flame bait, but to say the Melee people who flame bait Smash 4 for being "slow" or "different" or "not melee" , why bother going to a Smash 4 stream in the first place? That's like going to your local super market and saying "This ain't Wal-Mart, your business is crap." and you start singing Wal-Mart themes and crud.

And those are the same people who get scolded by the Smash community as a whole for making the Smash community look bad. Because they can't accept change.

Last edited:

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
Flame bait you say? Quite the opposite, as the Melee community is known for "don't like our game, your game isn't melee, your game sucks."Can't tell you how many times I go to a live stream and see "This game isn't melee, it's pretty casual. (4 paragraph long Melee rant)." in Smash 4 Twitch streams. It gets preeeeeetty annoying, mate.

That's why I made my post, not to flame bait, but to say the Melee people who flame bait Smash 4 for being "slow" or "different" or "not melee" , why bother going to a Smash 4 stream in the first place? That's like going to your local super market and saying "This ain't Wal-Mart, your business is crap." and you start singing Wal-Mart themes and crud.

And those are the same people who get scolded by the Smash community as a whole for making the Smash community look bad. Because they can't accept change.
In your original comment you took shoots at both, Melee, saying it's outdated, and the Melee community at large. If that isn't flamebaiting, I don't know what is.

Maybe some people don't want change. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
In your original comment you took shoots at both, Melee, saying it's outdated, and the Melee community at large. If that isn't flamebaiting, I don't know what is.

Maybe some people don't want change. Why fix something that isn't broken?
I never said that, I said "as much as I hate the Melee community some times" Keywords are 'Some' and 'Times', because they're not ALL bad people, mainly the high leveled players. But the new comers to the Melee scene, or followers of it are the worst. I was in a live stream earlier and people kept comparing Melee Mario to Sm4sh Mario, like really? That's where " change" comes into play, people. It started a whole argument about Melee vs Sm4sh as well, so I just left the stream, that's what Melee arguments do in a Smash 4 stream. I don't hate the WHOLE melee community, but the dumb elitist who bash a new game for not being Melee is what gets me. If you don't like change, that's on you, but don't go to the new game section and start bashing it for not being Melee, again, Walmart and your favorite Super Market comparison. What you prefer isn't what we all prefer.

Dad'sHome

Smash Cadet
I never said that, I said "as much as I hate the Melee community some times" Keywords are 'Some' and 'Times', because they're not ALL bad people, mainly the high leveled players. But the new comers to the Melee scene, or followers of it are the worst. I was in a live stream earlier and people kept comparing Melee Mario to Sm4sh Mario, like really? That's where " change" comes into play, people. It started a whole argument about Melee vs Sm4sh as well, so I just left the stream, that's what Melee arguments do in a Smash 4 stream. I don't hate the WHOLE melee community, but the dumb elitist who bash a new game for not being Melee is what gets me. If you don't like change, that's on you, but don't go to the new game section and start bashing it for not being Melee, again, Walmart and your favorite Super Market comparison. What you prefer isn't what we all prefer.
Exactly, so why does it matter to you whether or not people move on from that "outdated" game that is Melee?

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
And people said this was going to be a brawl clone. I mean wi all these techs it REALLY does look like half brawl half Melee.

Also, to all of you 3ds only players out there, better not break you're control stick doing this. :p

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
And people said this was going to be a brawl clone. I mean wi all these techs it REALLY does look like half brawl half Melee.

Also, to all of you 3ds only players out there, better not break you're control stick doing this. :p
I'm being perfectly honest when I say this, but I feel this game is more like Melee than Brawl...
It even has that 'Nintendo' style that Brawl lacked (since it went for a more realistic, epic look)

Top Bottom