• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The really ****ing quick guide to BBrawl Mario. TOP TIER BABY!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario owns in BBrawl. That's all you need to know.

Why does he own so hard? Here's the short story of the long version...

U-smash kills DDD at 128% on FD.

D-smash KOs about 3% higher than U-smash from the center of FD.

B-throw is almost as strong as Ness's. You can kill basically anyone with this throw at 125% depending on position. They are pretty much guaranteed to die at 100% if you're at the edge and grab them. This **** is borderline broken! I'm not joking! Jab -> Grab is even better than it was before.

F-air spikes people to DEATH at like 20%. It actually knocks them off the ground at 0%, making it a better combo starter at low percents too.

Don't bother trying to KO with F-smash unless the opportunity happens to present itself that way. Mario's other KO moves are so amazingly good that this move is better as a long ranged damage dealer.

D-tilt actually is good! Puts people a good distance above Mario, just slightly less than U-tilt. Jab Jab D-tilt is also a very good strategy, as D-tilt does more damage (6%) in BBrawl.

fireballs are even better for spamming. They do 6% instead of 5%.

RCO lag is gone in BBrawl, so Mario's already good recovery is now even better since you can safely ledgehop airdodge even after sweetspotting the ledge with Up-B.

Mario's got it all in BBrawl. He can combo. He can gimp. He's bulkier than Marth, MK, and G&W. He's got a Cape. He's got fireballs. He's got his epicly awesome F-smash. He's got Up-B out of shield. And the best part is he can kill better than basically anyone. MK doesn't kill him until like 150%. Snake's Up-tilt only barely manages to compete with Mario's Up-smash (this is after you realize that I'm talking about the actual Mario vs Snake matchup).

Everyone try out BBrawl now! Mario ****ing *****! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246327

By the way, for those who were wondering, I have another guide for Mario in the works for regular Brawl. Look forward to that too!

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I'm a little confused now...i don't know if we should "change" for the future, because, maybe in the future, the people will play BBrawl even more than normal Brawl because all of it's benefits...people have the right to change if they want, when yoy are limited to almost the same history every time, there's when you want a change, i'm ok with normal Brawl, because i've putted a lot of efford to raise my lvl with Mario, more than anyone were i live...i mean, i can kill Mk's with cape, gimp Snakes using Dtilt, Footstool>Cape to D3, gimp easily Marths, grab release>Fsmash Warios, Falcos, Robs, IC are no problem either...all that because i've reached a point were i Can beat anyone with Mario and that's what makes me happy, but when i look back to my crew's friends, i see a gimpeable Ike, an easy to read Luigi, a never surrending Peach and i think: "why i don't give them the chance to shine just like me", because, every Mario here should agree than we have 2 broken things with us: Fludd and Cape, and maybe other chars have nothing like that...well, in the end, i'll look around and see what happens with it-

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Uh, Flame... you do know that it basically takes absolutely no practice to switch between BBrawl Mario and normal Brawl mario right? You can just kill earlier, and Dtilt sends them at a different angle, that's the entire changelist.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I'm like Dark.Pch, trying to prove the real power of Mario in the normal Brawl, and i know that is easy to change from normal Brawl to BBrawl but...it doesn't feel right anyways, i'm like a japanise brawler or something like that, i fight for honor, no matter what, no matter if my enemy choose D3 or Mk on Rainbow cruise, i'll prove myself overcoming the odds, because...for me, honor worth more than money-

P.D: I really like Normal Brawl Dtilt xD

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
VBrawl dtilt is essentially a taunt, hit with it and you can say "omg i just hit with dtilt" I have no problems landing it, it's the fact that they've basically got a free hit on me afterward that I don't use it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm gonna try my best to rep Mario in vBrawl tournament too. I just think BBrawl is a worthy pursuit of a better, more intricate metagame that works WITH the physics of Brawl that we know and love.

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
I think BBrawl got rid of random tripping. Isn't that a good enough reason to switch?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hype! Mario's a ton better in Balanced Brawl; Bthrow is my favorite change to him, easily.
However, he isn't top tier lol. Just upper.

He's better than Luigi now, I think!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hype! Mario's a ton better in Balanced Brawl; Bthrow is my favorite change to him, easily.
However, he isn't top tier lol. Just upper.

He's better than Luigi now, I think!
Let me explain why I think he's top:

1. Good KO moves
2. Good KO moves OUT OF SHIELD
3. Safe KO moves (D-smash especially is quite safe on block)
4. GREAT shield pressure with SH D-air -> N-air/U-air
5. Jab cancel into KO move

Combine that with his decent qualities everywhere else (damage racking, mixups, camping, edge game, edgeguarding), you have a top tier character. Mario in BBrawl is very good at everything. His only weakness is low range, which can be solved with smart use of Cape, FLUDD, and his ridiculously long ranged F-smash.

In short, Mario aside from being well rounded in general basically has overall the best KO options in BBrawl.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
His KO options are much more impressive, but he isn't near to having the best KO options out of the cast.

What matters is how his matchups work out. He's great... on paper, but in practice he's just good. Granted, really good, just not top 10 material.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What matters is how his matchups work out. He's great... on paper, but in practice he's just good. Granted, really good, just not top 10 material.
Fair point. I don't really know how Mario's matchups will turn out yet, although I think his main two bad matchups are just G&W and Marth.

I'm just pointing out, Mario has safe kill moves that are easy to land. That's something that's very uncommon outside of vBrawl Snake's U-tilt and MK's D-smash/UpB. Most KO moves are either significantly risky, difficult to land, or not all that strong (which is what really held back Mario in the first place, the relatively low power on anything not named F-smash).

Mario can Jab cancel D-smash if his opponent is afraid of getting grabbed, and even if it gets blocked, it's only unsafe on powershield due to how much it pushes people back and how quick it is in general. Jab cancel B-throw is REALLY scary. Mario's Up-smash is one of the best Up-smashes out of shield in this game, actually, due to covering options both behind and in front of him, and being a fast move in general, and it's better out of shield than Luigi's Up-smash due to Mario's higher traction.

Mario's F-smash isn't particularly safe, but it's basically the 4th longest ranged F-smash or so in the game (outranged by Wolf, DDD, and Falco's F-smash slightly).

Two other things that Mario has that are unique are his Up-B out of shield (the fastest out of shield attack in the game besides powershield -> 1 frame moves), and his D-air. D-air is an underestimated attack due to being super safe on block. Almost all the time, Mario can N-air or U-air before his opponent can do stuff out of shield after SHD-airing their shield.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
To be quite honest, I wished Mario got a little buff on his UpB's damage output. It's really quick and has nice range on it, but landing it doesn't usually give that great damage, especially when they only get hit by a single poke of it.

It's also a shame that Squirtle got the Water Gun buff and Mario still has FLUDD. An improved FLUDD would just be REALLY sick.

BSP

Smash Legend
Smash Bros where MARIO is broken? I need to get BBrawl soon...

And Mr. Escalator, a fludd buff would be really cool.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
OK. I was playing balanced brawl with Pierce today and oh my god. Mario is sick. He is one of the best edgeguarders/gimpers in the game with each smash able to kill at low percents. Mario is gonna have a problem with nobody except for like G&W and Marth. He is so good.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Glad you guys are enjoying it. Any matchups impressions?

I'm not a Mario main, but from what I have seen Meta Knight still has an advantageous matchup, although G&W and Marth are probably his worst. Yoshi, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, and Sonic also seem to be threats.

Some like DDD and Ike I'm really not sure about. Sure, DDD has no infinite or running chaingrab, but Mario is one of the characters wrecked by his new d-throw the most. His tech roll is just too awful. Still, Mario can combo DDD well.

I've seen Mario do well overall against floaty characters like Peach and Jigglypuff, as well as a few others such as space animals. Extreme fall speeds either way work out well for Mario. He might barely have an advantage against Diddy now, not sure.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not a Mario main, but from what I have seen Meta Knight still has an advantageous matchup, although G&W and Marth are probably his worst. Yoshi, Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, and Sonic also seem to be threats.
Metaknight can be fireball camped due to his lack of clanking hitboxes, and Mario KOs him at like 97% with Up-smash, while he only dies at like 150% from a fresh D-smash. This matchup is MUCH closer.

Yoshi was always a favorable matchup for Mario from my experience in low tier singles. Mario generally has faster pressure tools and more versatile camping, not to mention a F-smash with better priority. The D-smash buff is probably the one thing Mario needs to worry about. Mario still however excels in terms of KO options, and probably just a little more considering the raw power of Mario's U-smash.

Lucas similarly, Mario outpressures him in terms of speed and has more versatile KO options (faster smashes in general, and Mario's F-smash outranges Lucas's Smashes and has less ending lag). Lucas's spotdodge becoming better is probably annoying, although this is another matchup I've won solidly in low tiers.

Vs Sonic, really, this matchup hands down goes to Mario in BBrawl. Sonic has no answer to Mario's ridiculously improved KO power, and the spring gimp doesn't work very well on Mario due to the high priority of Mario's Up-B. Fireballs doing more damage helps even more at dealing with Sonic's runaway game. Damage buffs on staple moves helps Sonic, but he still has more trouble landing most of his KO moves compared to the relative ease Mario has landing U-smash.

Some like DDD and Ike I'm really not sure about. Sure, DDD has no infinite or running chaingrab, but Mario is one of the characters wrecked by his new d-throw the most. His tech roll is just too awful. Still, Mario can combo DDD well.
KOing DDD at 128% with Up-smash is also a blessing, especially after considering how DDD is pretty terrible at landing KO moves for the most part.

Ike always had trouble with Mario just due to getting juggled and punished out of shield and camped. That part of the matchup hasn't changed.

Mainly the two matchups I worry about are indeed G&W and Marth, although those are only matchups that I know are disadvantageous.

Shahryar2010

Smash Cadet
I agree Balance brawl Mario is awesome, its the reason i still want to play brawl. Someone should try to do the matchups for mario in Bbrawl.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I agree Balance brawl Mario is awesome, its the reason i still want to play brawl. Someone should try to do the matchups for mario in Bbrawl.
It seems like it would take too long. I think that Mario's ability to kill at much lower percents gives him an advantage over most people where that was his problem (practically every heavy weight or character with amazing recoveries like Sonic and ROB) His real troubles would be Marth and G&W because they weren't changed and Mario never had much of a problem getting the kill on them. MK and D3 might have a slight advantage or they are even. Snake is probably also even now.

Shahryar2010

Smash Cadet
It seems like it would take too long. I think that Mario's ability to kill at much lower percents gives him an advantage over most people where that was his problem (practically every heavy weight or character with amazing recoveries like Sonic and ROB) His real troubles would be Marth and G&W because they weren't changed and Mario never had much of a problem getting the kill on them. MK and D3 might have a slight advantage or they are even. Snake is probably also even now.
Hmm since Mario can kill Marth and G&W faster, perhaps the matchups are 40:60-45:55. D3 is still 40:60 or maybe close to 45:55, Meta maybe 50:50.

Now here are a few others i'd like to mention. Bowser and R.O.B would definitely be 60:40, Mario just needs to watch out for that huge buffed D-air.

Wario and Peach are possibly now 50:50.

Falco and Wolf are now 50:50 for sure.

Sonic and Yoshi are still the same.

Lastly im more interesting to see the matchup between and Mario and Luigi now. Luigi fireball approach to Mario was always bad idea and the fireball speed boosting doesnt help. The matchup is 50:50 in regular brawl and all Luigi has is dash attack doing 3% extra damage and Mario has more killing power on Luigi, so for some reason i would just go with 55:45 Mario's Favour, arguable for 50:50.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
People this isn't a hyper user on meth.

A2 is serious Mario IS top tier. Of course, he isn't LOLZ EAZY but the guy is a **** beast. He's got all of the buffs in all of the right places.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Hmm since Mario can kill Marth and G&W faster, perhaps the matchups are 40:60-45:55. D3 is still 40:60 or maybe close to 45:55, Meta maybe 50:50.

Now here are a few others i'd like to mention. Bowser and R.O.B would definitely be 60:40, Mario just needs to watch out for that huge buffed D-air.

Wario and Peach are possibly now 50:50.

Falco and Wolf are now 50:50 for sure.

Sonic and Yoshi are still the same.

Lastly im more interesting to see the matchup between and Mario and Luigi now. Luigi fireball approach to Mario was always bad idea and the fireball speed boosting doesnt help. The matchup is 50:50 in regular brawl and all Luigi has is dash attack doing 3% extra damage and Mario has more killing power on Luigi, so for some reason i would just go with 55:45 Mario's Favour, arguable for 50:50.
Peach I think is slightly Mario's advantage. We don't have to rely on Usmash for kills. Also if it fails, it can be used again to kill even though its been staled. Wolf might also be slightly Mario's advantage because we can kill better. You're right about Falco, but its probably at least 60:40 vs. Sonic and I'm not even sure about the ratio against Yoshi in regular brawl.

With Luigi, here's whats new. Luigi's fireballs come out very quickly,making a pretty good edgeguard and camping tool. Also, his dash attack causes tripping making it so you can't DI out of it. Unfortunately for Luigi, Mario has kill power to match if not surpass Luigi. That was one of the two main things that had Luigi over Mario. Mario has an advantage over him in BBrawl.

Shahryar2010

Smash Cadet
Peach I think is slightly Mario's advantage. We don't have to rely on Usmash for kills. Also if it fails, it can be used again to kill even though its been staled. Wolf might also be slightly Mario's advantage because we can kill better. You're right about Falco, but its probably at least 60:40 vs. Sonic and I'm not even sure about the ratio against Yoshi in regular brawl.

With Luigi, here's whats new. Luigi's fireballs come out very quickly,making a pretty good edgeguard and camping tool. Also, his dash attack causes tripping making it so you can't DI out of it. Unfortunately for Luigi, Mario has kill power to match if not surpass Luigi. That was one of the two main things that had Luigi over Mario. Mario has an advantage over him in BBrawl.
If people were scared of the Super Jump Punch that kills at 50% (although it rarely gets you), they should be more scared of Mario meteor smash in BBrawl (same thing, very hard to hit with though but worth a try).

Top Bottom