• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Sorry if this is out of topic, but I was wondering what will happen to this tread if Layton becomes a smash carácter, will it be like St. Mystere, this thread will just end?
If a character (such as Layton in this case) were to be confirmed, the thread would close down one-two days after the character reveal. Immediately after the reveal, different Smashboard users would visit our thread to congratulate us upon having our character included in the game, and the rest of the discussion from then on will likely revolve around our reactions immediately after the reveal and how we like the character thus far. The thread would eventually be closed down to make way for a social thread that would appear shortly after the character's confirmation.

I'm only basing this off what happened with Ryu's support thread since I was involved in that thread in the days leading up to his reveal.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder how people will react in a hypothetical scenario where Shovel Knight ends up being disconfirmed just before Layton ends up being confirmed?

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
At this point no-one should have to 'deconfirm' Shovel Knight, because there is absolutely no way he can make it into this game. It's like with Ridley. He has a 0% chance of making it in, and I don't understand why everyone is making a huge fuss about it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
At this point no-one should have to 'deconfirm' Shovel Knight, because there is absolutely no way he can make it into this game. It's like with Ridley. He has a 0% chance of making it in, and I don't understand why everyone is making a huge fuss about it.
Because of a rumour supported by two moderators.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I did find it a little curious why a lot more people back up the Shovel Knight rumour yet more or less brushing aside the one for Layton....

I mean, you have one rumour about a guy having potential insider info from an unknown source telling him that Shovel Knight is coming. And you have another where an entire voice actor who has been voicing Professor Layton since his series was born saying that he thinks he may have voiced him for Smash 4 during a recent session.... Granted the latter is a little more uncertain whilst stressing that he hopes that whatever he voiced for was really meant for Smash but still. Or I may have missed something of significance in regards to Shovel Knight's rumour that I'm not aware of.....

I guess its like True Blue Warrior said. Two Smashboards Moderators are backing it which probably prompted a few members to back that one more.

It should probably be noted though that not even the mods are always right as a few of them backed that one rumour that more characters where in the 3DS version besides the ones in the ESRb leak which ended up not being true in the end.....

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
One thing I find reassuring is that he at least was confused, which means that he certainly did some lines in character as Layton. If it wasn't for Smash, it's going to be for something else Layton-related. Maybe for a reveal trailer? Probably not for the upcoming movie, though, as that would be more than a couple of extra pages, I think.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The curious thing about his confusion seems to be that whatever he voiced for Layton during that session was something probably out of the ordinary compared to what he has voiced for Layton in the past.

At least by the way he worded it. He has voiced for 7 games straight so you would think that he would already get the general routine for Layton and how his sessions would usually go.

With this recent one though, he seems to be a lot more stressed and confused over it. The Layton series usually follow a set voice line and with interactive sections for the animated cutscenes as well as the puzzle solving sections etc.

He seems to feel like his recent session may have had something to do with Smash 4 so it's possible that his recent voice lines included a lot more grunts and perhaps some quotes. Which indeed would be quite unusual for a typical Professor Layton game....

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I did find it a little curious why a lot more people back up the Shovel Knight rumour yet more or less brushing aside the one for Layton....

I mean, you have one rumour about a guy having potential insider info from an unknown source telling him that Shovel Knight is coming. And you have another where an entire voice actor who has been voicing Professor Layton since his series was born saying that he thinks he may have voiced him for Smash 4 during a recent session.... Granted the latter is a little more uncertain whilst stressing that he hopes that whatever he voiced for was really meant for Smash but still. Or I may have missed something of significance in regards to Shovel Knight's rumour that I'm not aware of.....

I guess its like True Blue Warrior said. Two Smashboards Moderators are backing it which probably prompted a few members to back that one more.

It should probably be noted though that not even the mods are always right as a few of them backed that one rumour that more characters where in the 3DS version besides the ones in the ESRb leak which ended up not being true in the end.....
I think the reason why the Layton rumor regarding the whole voice acting deal hasn't seen as much spotlight as the Shovel Knight rumor is because most people moved on from Layton after Miller tweeted that he didn't know if he was recording for Layton for Smash or not. Most people interpreted this tweet as meaning, "Well, looks like we aren't getting Layton after all," and then they went back to speculation until the Shovel Knight rumors started gaining widespread attention.

I've mainly come to this conclusion based on the fact most discussion about Miller having 2 unknown voice recording sessions was here on the Layton support thread. The only times I've seen it being mentioned outside of this very thread was in a Miiverse post and a brief mention on the DLC Character Discussion Thread about two days ago. Even then, I've noticed the more prominent Youtube users, particularly RogersBase and Gamexplain, that reported about Miller "not knowing" didn't explain about those 2 voice acting session details that followed. Not mentioning this detail means that most viewers will think "Well, looks like the Layton rumor is done thanks to Miller's Tweet". There's even very little to no mention about those voice acting session details in the comments sections of either of those videos either. I have a feeling that if some prominent Youtube user uploaded a video discussing these voice acting details, then there would be much more discussion regarding this topic.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and it turns out there actually is a large amount of discussion about this Layton rumor outside of this very thread in Smashboards, but from what I've been seeing, most of the hype and discussion about this rumor has been pretty exclusive to this thread. If the voice acting session rumor was more publicized where prominent gamers shared details about it so that their fans have something to think about, perhaps we would actually be seeing as much as discussion as we currently have with the Shovel Knight rumor, perhaps to the point that in Smashboards case, there would already be a Layton re-rate day on the RTC Thread where the voice acting discussions are the primary driving force for the re-rate.

But perhaps maybe it's a good think this current Layton rumor isn't as widely discussed as the Shovel Knight rumor, because that would make the element of surprise for a Layton reveal much more exciting for the Smash community.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No you're right. It is true that most of the prominent discussions and research that has been done in regards to this matter was in this very thread. So it's more or less just us and those who come to lurk here who really know about these extra details and thus most others only got the basic picture in regards to this matter....

Maybe that's for the best in case nothing comes from this but it's still an interesting thing to speculate about imo.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So it turns out we didn't get a new character today...

With those 2 voice acting sessions still in our minds, I wonder that if one of the voice acting sessions was for Smash 4, would he still be a pre-ballot character or a would he be post-ballot character now? I know this question has popped up before, but now due to the circumstances today, I can't help but think that maybe he could either be a pre-ballot character or an early Smash Ballot winner at this point (again, assuming the Smash 4 possibility). It's become an even more mysterious puzzle for me to say the least.

What do all of you think? Do you still think he is pre-ballot/post-ballot, or do you think it's the other side of the spectrum (what I mean is, for instance, you initially thought he would be pre-ballot, but now you think he's post ballot, and vice versa).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we will probably have to wait until the data miners do their thing and see if there is anything of interest on either the 3DS or Wii U version's latest updates. If not I guess we will have to wait until the next Direct/update for any character reveals.....

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Etika has just set up a poll on his youtube channel, it would be great if some of us could vote, since Layton isn't doing as well as he could. (Sorry i cant link due to mobile)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think we will probably have to wait until the data miners do their thing and see if there is anything of interest on either the 3DS or Wii U version's latest updates. If not I guess we will have to wait until the next Direct/update for any character reveals.....
Currently, there's nothing in the files that suggest who the next characters will be.

It's for the better. A official reveal is always better than a low-key data leak.

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
When I first checked, he was at 16th place, now he's at 9th! Climbing the ranks! Great work on voting, everyone!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Currently, there's nothing in the files that suggest who the next characters will be.

It's for the better. A official reveal is always better than a low-key data leak.
From what I've heard, only the Wii U version has been datamined. The 3DS version apparently hasn't been thoroughly checked yet. (Which is where evidence of Ryu and Roy was first discovered.....)

Though I would expect Nintendo to have learned from their previous mistake of leaving those files in, but who knows I guess....

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Layton has now moved up a place in the Want poll of the RTC thread, due to Chibi-Robo's Rerate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
After having played through the Pirate Ship stage again (Which was more or less my favourite stage in Brawl, very happy its back). I really adore how its Final Destination form is one of the Watch Towers of Wind Waker. I really hope they do more of those.

Assuming Layton is really in and his stage is St. Mystere from Curious Village.
I hope its Final Destination form is the top of the tower. It would also be a nice play on words since in Curious Village, the top of the tower is the "final destination" in that game. ^^

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
After having played through the Pirate Ship stage again (Which was more or less my favourite stage in Brawl, very happy its back). I really adore how its Final Destination form is one of the Watch Towers of Wind Waker. I really hope they do more of those.

Assuming Layton is really in and his stage is St. Mystere from Curious Village. I hope its Final Destination form is the top of the tower. It would also be a nice play on words since in Curious Village, the top of the tower is the "final destination" in that game. ^^

that would be a pretty nice touch

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Assuming Layton is really in and his stage is St. Mystere from Curious Village. I hope its Final Destination form is the top of the tower. It would also be a nice play on words since in Curious Village, the top of the tower is the "final destination" in that game. ^^

Wouldn't that image of the tower kinda count as a spoiler?

:upsidedown:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wouldn't that image of the tower kinda count as a spoiler?

:upsidedown:
You might as well ask that same question to that girl in my avatar..... :smash:

I'm bad with spoilers since I never know what people do or don't consider spoilers and I always tend to forget as well, especially when it comes to older games. Never come near me if you don't want to get spoiled for anything..... But I guess I'll put it under a spoiler tag then. ^^;

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You might as well ask that same question to that girl in my avatar..... :smash:

I'm bad with spoilers since I never know what people do or don't consider spoilers and I always tend to forget as well, especially when it comes to older games. Never come near me if you don't want to get spoiled for anything..... But I guess I'll put it under a spoiler tag then. ^^;
its been out for years surely the identity of the golden apple is in the same category as shiek

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai and his team really don't care that much about spoilers do they....? :zeldamelee::sheikmelee::4lucina:then there's Fiora and Porky Minch and all...

If the Professor Layton franchise where to be represented in Smash and Flora received a trophy.
Be prepared to see it shamelessly give away her hidden identity....

That one thing about Emmy in Azran Legacy probably too...

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
its been out for years surely the identity of the golden apple is in the same category as shiek
Professor Layton isn't on the same level as The Legend of Zelda.

Both, however, are puzzle games that are fun as heck.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Probably more along the lines of Awakening Marth, but then again the time between Ocarina of Time and Melee was probably shorter between the time of Curious Village and Smash 4.....

Then again, they kinda gave it away as soon as the Elysian Box and Unwound/Lost Future.....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Regardless, it's never fun to have something spoiled, be it games, books, or movies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, my advice would be to give the games a go while you still can. Curious Village and the other DS Layton games can be found used for very cheap nowadays so I'd suggest giving the series a go.

In case your waiting to see if Layton will actually be playable in Smash 4 before trying out the series. Probably for the best not to. Like I said, Sakurai and his team show no mercy when it comes to spoiles so if they where to include trophies of certain characters. It may give away certain interesting plot details and/or twists in the games.

In case your wondering which game to start with. I would suggest Curious Village and then work your way up in order of release. ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
True, my advice would be to give the games a go while you still can. Curious Village and the other DS Layton games can be found used for very cheap nowadays so I'd suggest giving the series a go.

In case your waiting to see if Layton will actually be playable in Smash 4 before trying out the series. Probably for the best not to. Like I said, Sakurai and his team show no mercy when it comes to spoiles so if they where to include trophies of certain characters. It may give away certain interesting plot details and/or twists in the games.

In case your wondering which game to start with. I would suggest Curious Village and then work your way up in order of release. ^^
I second this opinion.

Playing them in order of release is the way to go.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Sakurai and his team really don't care that much about spoilers do they....? :zeldamelee::sheikmelee::4lucina:then there's Fiora and Porky Minch and all...

If the Professor Layton franchise where to be represented in Smash and Flora received a trophy.

Let's not forget about the Unova and Kalos Pokemon League stage. The Unova Pokemon League stage spoils one of the end-game events in Pokemon Black and White, while the Kalos Pokemon League stage spoils the typing of each of the Kalos Elite Four. And then there's Palutena's reveal trailer that spoiled about the Chaos Kin possessing Palutena and the subsequent battle that followed. That just comes to show Sakurai doesn't care about spoilers.

Though there is a funny thing worth mentioning: Sheik's Smash 4 trophy description states "Spoiler Alert" in caps separated with hyphens before revealing her relation with Zelda. I wonder if, assuming we do get several trophies of Layton characters in Smash 4 to couple with Layton's inclusion, we will see a similar treatment for some of the Layton characters. It's probably unlikely for reasons already stated, but I think it'd be funny if we saw similar treatment to a few future trophies that have some jaw-dropping details about a certain character.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
They could make Layton's trophy description filled with spoilers if they wanted to. Something like this:
If one has to come up with a person who lives quite an eventful life, it's Professor Hershel Layton. His best friend presumed dead only to reappear as a villain? Check. Discovering too late his dead girlfriend acted as her non-existant sister? Check. Your assistant working for the evil organization? Check. Being adopted? Check. Discovering your real name is Theodore Bronev? Check. Your archenemy is your biological older brother? Check. The leader of the evil organization is your biological father? Check. And through all this, Layton never stopped being a true gentleman. We take our top hat off for you, Mr. Layton.

Yes, I was bored. :p

But I stopped believing Sakurai cares about spoilers after he casually spoiled Mother 3's final boss on the Brawl Dojo and put four unlockables in the game intro.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not to mention all the Xenoblade trophies that I avoid like the plague.

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822

Yeah spoilers in smash are pretty much unavoidable. But if there weren't any spoilers, then the content in Smash wouldn't be as awesome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well as a last ditch effort. I decided to send one last vote in Layton's way.

I decided not to sugar coat it too much with "popularity" and "legacy" talk and whatnot and just going straight to the point by talking about what he can offer as a character. It may not mean much in the end but it's worth a try. ^^

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
So, someone datamined the recent update, and there are apparently at least 3 new characters coming to Smash soon!

Fortunately, Nintendo were smart enough to not include the names of the new characters in the file names, so we don't know who, but we're getting 3!

THREE!

Layton better be one of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, someone datamined the recent update, and there are apparently at least 3 new characters coming to Smash soon!

Fortunately, Nintendo were smart enough to not include the names of the new characters in the file names, so we don't know who, but we're getting 3!

THREE!

Layton better be one of them.
thats one more than last time

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One more slot that can potentially belong to Layton.....

At least this should tell us that they are most surely planning to give us three playable characters soon....

I believe files for one more stage was added too so we also have at least three more stages coming soon too....

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
With one new stage and three new characters, I'm predicting at least one newcomer and at least one veteran. Personally, I think Layton or a Rhythm Paradise representative is the most likely final non-ballot newcomer. Despite loving Rhythm Paradise more than anyone I know, I'm keeping all fingers crossed for Layton.

Top Bottom