• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know, I'm a little late, but here's a little thing I made:
I wanted it to be done before the ballot ended, but, well, it took me longer than expected.

However, I also made some possible pallet swaps:

Please enjoy. :)
Wow, this looks amazing! It reminds me quite a bit of Wario Ware and Rythm Heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! ^^

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So there's another discussion topic that I've been thinking about recently. I don't know if this was discussed before, but I'll bring it up anyway.

Who do you want to compose various remixes of famous Layton music for Smash Bros?

Those who listen to Smash Bros's soundtrack often and occasionally look up who composed certain track will likely have an easier time answering it.

My answer to the above question? I want Yoko Shimomura to compose the remix for Professor Layton's theme. For those that want to hear one work from her in Smash 4:

Did it remind you of something? Yes, this is probably the most Layton-sounding track we have in Smash 4 right now, and it's even become one of my favorite tracks from the game because of that. I even remember feeling sad when I first listened to it because it reminded me of how Layton didn't make it into the initial roster despite getting a music piece that sounded like something straight from a Layton game. Yoko's excellent work with this remix is why I want her to compose a remix of Layton's theme if he ends up in Smash Bros, and I'm sure it would turn out great.

My other composer I want to hear a Layton remix from would be Nobuko Toda. For those that want to hear a track she composed in Smash 4:

Keeping this music piece in mind, I think she would do a great job composing a remix of Descole's theme for Smash Bros. Descole's theme (both the live and Last Specter version) have this grand, mysterious, villainous yet epic vibe to it that would be perfect for Nobuko to work on. It's a theme that would work perfectly with an opera chorus in the background. Combine that with the traits Descole's theme has going for it and we would have one of the most epic soundtracks in Smash 4 if Layton was in Smash (and I personally think Descole's theme is one of the more likely soundtracks for Layton's Smash Bros inclusion since its a fan-favorite theme amongst the Layton community).

What do you think? Is there a composer you want to remix a certain Layton track (such as the above two themes, a Puzzle theme Medley, etc.) for Layton's hypothetical Smash Bros inclusion? Who would it be and why would that composer make a good fit for a remix of that track?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yoko Shimomura doing Layton music would be a dream come true.

Her work on Kingdom Hearts soundtracks are literal, artistic masterpieces.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It depends on who is still on the team I guess. Remember that Sakurai's team has become smaller ever since they started working on DLC.

They might even do another Street Fighter and get a composer from the actual Professor Layton team to remix a song or two.....

But yeah, I would love to see Yoko Shimomura remix a song from the Professor Layton series since her work sounds the most Layton esque. ^^

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It depends on who is still on the team I guess. Remember that Sakurai's team has become smaller ever since they started working on DLC.

They might even do another Street Fighter and get a composer from the actual Professor Layton team to remix a song or two.....

But yeah, I would love to see Yoko Shimomura remix a song from the Professor Layton series since her work sounds the most Layton esque. ^^
you know it was yoko shimomura who did that street fighter tune?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really take notice of the fan polls as the sizes are too small.

Then there is the fact that places like Source Gaming are only known by the hardcore speculation community and all that, who have their distinct patterns, almost like certain characters have to win the ballot or something, even if people don't care about them in hindsight.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really take notice of the fan polls as the sizes are too small.

Then there is the fact that places like Source Gaming are only known by the hardcore speculation community and all that, who have their distinct patterns, almost like certain characters have to win the ballot or something, even if people don't care about them in hindsight.
From what I've understood they shared this poll to as many sites as they could. Including pages such as Tumblr and Facebook etc.

I do agree that I wouldn't fully trust fan polls though since the amount of feedback they get is usually more or less a fraction compared to the millions the official ballot most surely received from all over the world.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not only that but like I said, it's mostly only people who are super into Smash speculation that bother with fan polls as they are the only people who have anything to gain from it.

Most people are content with getting whatever, but the hardcore speculators love these fan polls as they can wave the results around and say "WELP MY FAVE IS DEFINITELY GETTIN' IN WITHOUT A DOUBT" or they can just use it to dictate discussions or whatever.

Also all of the arbitrary analyses of "likelihood" and all of that.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not only that but like I said, it's mostly only people who are super into Smash speculation that bother with fan polls as they are the only people who have anything to gain from it.

Most people are content with getting whatever, but the hardcore speculators love these fan polls as they can wave the results around and say "WELP MY FAVE IS DEFINITELY GETTIN' IN WITHOUT A DOUBT" or they can just use it to dictate discussions or whatever.

Also all of the arbitrary analyses of "likelihood" and all of that.
That and I think that they more or less stated that they where looking for suggestions or something along those lines when they first revealed the ballot.

If multivoting is indeed possible in the ballot (Which from having analyzed a few things, seemed to have been a possibity) it may be difficult to gauge true popularity via the official ballot too.....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It asks you to only vote once but it can't tell whether or not you voted more than once. Reason being that they were keeping in mind that there might be kids from a family each voting for a different character on a family computer, so it wouldn't be fair to leave kids out like that. As such, a single person can vote more than once without trouble (I voted for four characters but only voted on each of them once).

Also I know a lot of people were voting on multiple different computers (home, relatives, friends, school, work, etc) to hopefully circumvent any possibility of Nintendo ignoring votes coming from the same IP address or whatever.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It asks you to only vote once but it can't tell whether or not you voted more than once. Reason being that they were keeping in mind that there might be kids from a family each voting for a different character on a family computer, so it wouldn't be fair to leave kids out like that. As such, a single person can vote more than once without trouble (I voted for four characters but only voted on each of them once).

Also I know a lot of people were voting on multiple different computers (home, relatives, friends, school, work, etc) to hopefully circumvent any possibility of Nintendo ignoring votes coming from the same IP address or whatever.
That's more or less my thoughts too. Especially after hearing Sakurai's comment in regards to Mewtwo and how he decided against making him club Nintendo exclusive due to families with multiple 3DS systems potentially wanting to have access to the same character. So that line of thought should surely have crossed his mind for the ballot too. Hence it mainly asking for one vote per person.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
When Layton and Descole's themes are remixed in SSB4, the Grand Panecea will be created and all will know the Layton series as axiomatic truth.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
When Layton and Descole's themes are remixed in SSB4, the Grand Panecea will be created and all will know the Layton series as axiomatic truth.
Ooh, I don't think Descolé's needs to be touched. It's pretty much perfect as is. I'd go for a heavy metal remix of Don Paolo's Theme though!

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Double posting, blech. I have an important topic to switch focus to, though; namely, Nintendo's promotion of Yokai Watch.

If you follow Nintendo of America on Twitter, that red cat has been popping up for the past week non-stop. And if you look around there you might rarely see stuff about their first party game, Chibi something. I dunno, they drowned it in a sea of Yokai. This strikes me as interesting. I was interested from the moment I saw them reveal Yokai Watch's localisation at E3; they have massive faith in the product and will work incredibly hard to make it a success. It's their flagship release for Fourth Quarter in the English regions. And it's Level-5, the third party that might as well be Nintendo themselves with the working relationship so good.

Nintendo have not shown this much faith in another company releasing on their platforms in some time. Sure, they let Yacht Club make an amiibo. They occasionally mention Runbow and whatever other titles are available via their consoles. But Nintendo are out fighting on behalf of a third party because they know it'll be a success.

What does this mean for us Layton supporters? It means that the bond between Level-5 and Nintendo is undoubtedly strengthened, and Nintendo's faith in the marketability of Level-5 is HUUUUUGE. This has been in planning since June at least, almost certainly prior. And how do you celebrate such an incredible pairing of companies? Well, if you'll believe the Christopher Miller rumours, I can tell you one way it might be celebrated... And if you're keen on more rumours, we have the supposed new character being released in a few weeks. Coincidentally, Yokai Watch and the Layton artbook are releasing in English for the first time around November 5th/6th. Could everything be gearing towards a big reveal then? Who knows. Time will indeed tell.

On a silly note, the next Smash DLC wave is Wave 5, so it'd be hilarious if Level-5 took it over and populated it with Layton, Jibanyan, and Mii costumes of icons from their other games.

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
What does this mean for us Layton supporters? It means that the bond between Level-5 and Nintendo is undoubtedly strengthened, and Nintendo's faith in the marketability of Level-5 is HUUUUUGE. This has been in planning since June at least, almost certainly prior. And how do you celebrate such an incredible pairing of companies? Well, if you'll believe the Christopher Miller rumours, I can tell you one way it might be celebrated... And if you're keen on more rumours, we have the supposed new character being released in a few weeks. Coincidentally, Yokai Watch and the Layton artbook are releasing in English for the first time around November 5th/6th. Could everything be gearing towards a big reveal then? Who knows. Time will indeed tell.
Interesting points, and a logic I can believe in. Of course, if they wanted to promote Yokai Watch through Smash, they could add Jibanyan to the game instead. They could also use it as a means to help Level-5 promote the upcoming movie or the Wii U exclusive Yokai Watch version of Just Dance (both releasing in December in Japan).

That being said, I don't really think Sakurai is into the idea of adding characters solely for promotion, though I think he could stretch it to timing it along with the release of related games. As such, it could be possible that he decided for Layton to be Level-5s representative, with the higher-ups scheduling the release to go with the mounds of Yokai Watch related content about to hit both Japan and the West, maybe adding trophies and Mii costumes from other Level-5 games, another a possibility for them to add in some "promotional" content, that doesn't mean giving Jibanyan a spot on the roster as a substitute for Layton.

Furthermore, the voice recordings are still one of the most important rumours in this whole debate, and one of the rumours that more than anything is making Layton seem so plausible. The fact that the Miller rumours excist instantly gives Layton more plausibility than his furry, red brother-in-mascothood.

Or we could get both. That might be a crazy dream, but I wouldn't be against it. Level-5 is Nintendo's most loyal and talented partner at the moment, and they might be looking to further tighten the bonds with Hino and Co. Whatever happens though, I don't think anyone should be surprised if Level-5 gets a rep in Smash, although I think some will be if they're still expecting Shovel Knight. Exciting times ahead!

(This post is going to look really stupid if Shovel Knight is revealed though)

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
I'll be honest, if we did get Jibanyan, Alycyn Packard (English voice actor of Jibanyan) would've said something about it.
Still, with all the anime episodes and the game being dubbed, would she know that it was for Smash? I mean, the reason Miller was wondering was obviously because he did something in character as Layton, with there being no announced Layton projects at the moment. For Packard it wouldn't be a surprising extra page, it would simply be more lines as a character she is currently doing a lot of work as.

I definitly think Jibanyan would be dubbed though. Even though Marth is still in Japanese, I think they would want to appeal to the fans of the show not familiar with the original Japanese voices.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
With the commercial advertising she's inevitably going to voice on, it is a lot of work, making it much harder to decipher whether or not she did Smash work, she could be voicing the commercials, or help voice a talking Jibanyan plush, or help with the live show for an inevitable YW concert. At least with Layton, there's only one thing we have can come up with a conclusion with just the unknown voice acting.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I remember, Level-5 does usually indeed carry quite a large presence around the last quarter of the year.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised if they decided to have the DS Layton games released on Virtual Console soon after Layton's potential confirmation (if he's in....) as well as perhaps seeing Phoenix Wright (Mii cotume perhaps?) alongside him much like Ryu and Heihachi and Capcom seems to be getting quite a bit of love in the Mii costume department.

As for Yokai Watch. From what I've seen of it whenever BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 brings them up over at the Nintenzone thread. Nintendo does seem to be giving the series a lot more promotion and love than even some of their own series (Poor Chibi-Robo, and even after they remarked they potentially wouldn't be doing any further work with it if it didn't do too well.....)

But like Lyngstud Lyngstud said. I'm not sure if Sakurai would include a DLC character solely on promotion alone, there where quite a lot of opportunities for him to do so after all which he more or less all passed up. However, if he does decide to include a Level-5 character as DLC since they did seem to be in high demand from what I've seen around. I can certainly see him include a Mii fighter costume or two and perhaps a trophy of Jibanyan too (much like he did for the Inklings).

That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I can definitely agree with what's being said. Sakurai is not one to jump on the latest and greatest bandwagon, but Yokai Watch is tried and tested in the markets in Japan and is successful. Adding him now would be a bit presumptuous, but it does show that Nintendo has immense faith in Level-5's marketability. I think they'd almost certainly prepare to include a more ubiquitous character that's had numerous massive successes and contributions to DS culture like Layton than a new kid like Jibanyan if either were to happen. I mean, due to Layton, Level-5 ended up releasing Inazuma, Ni No Kuni, Fantasy Life, Yokai Watch, LBX, a ton of anime, and several movies. Due to Layton, Sega made Rhythm Thief and Konami made Dr. Lautrec. Layton had been praised by Iwata, by Miyamoto, and accepted into Nintendo's fold as one of their own. People still mistake him for a Nintendo character, and that's probably one of his greatest assets. If Level-5 were actually a division of Nintendo, he'd definitely be in the game by now.

Renewing their faith in a company to the point where they promote them more heavily than they promote themselves is extremely interesting. And like I said, I think this is leading to a crescendo. Perhaps the main purpose of the recording session was for a re-recording of the dialogue for Layton 1-3 for a Virtual Console remaster release (because damn the voices in CV are grainy)? Who knows. I can only once again conclude that we'll get our answers in time.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I think that if we're going to get any Level-5 character, it will be Layton. I highly doubt that we're going to get more than one Level-5 representative, no matter how chummy they and Nintendo are. At this point, and I may be wrong, but I don't think that any Level-5 series has had as much of an impact on the gaming community as a whole to justify an appearance in Smash except for Layton.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the fact that Professor Layton is the only Level-5 series I had ever heard about before joining this thread, should tell you all you need to know.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think we would be getting two Level-5 characters either. I think that's probably being a little too optimistic.....

I do think that Layton would probably make the most sense as a character from Level-5 as it was more or less the Professor Layton series that helped to give the company the fame and recognition with Nintendo and its fans they enjoy today. And encouraged them to have a larger presence within the gaming industry too.

Sakurai may also choose Layton since the series has done and influenced a lot between the era of Brawl and Smash 4. As Martingale Martingale said. It even caught the attention of major companies like Sega and Konami to the point they tried to challenge the success of the Professor Layton series with Rythm Thief and Dr Lautrec (There was also May's Mysteries from some other company too) and it even caught the approval and respect from Nintendo's own higher ups such as Shigeru Miyamoto and Satoru Shibata. So I would imagine that Sakurai would probably have an easier time getting their approval if he wanted to include Layton in Smash 4. Its also currently the only series that has enjoyed a world wide appeal too. (Until Yokai Watch comes out and we can see how well it does in the west)

Overall, I just think Layton has probably earned his place in the roster the most as far as Level-5 is concerned imo.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The problem is if Level-5 can't define itself over other potential 3rd parties, the dream is dead.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I went to check my blog and for some reason my Super Mario Maker sprites have almost reached 300 notes..... like wow. Didn't think people wanted to see Layton and co that much in Super Mario Maker..... ^^;

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
I don't think it necessarily means anything. The Amiibo site is a mess. I've seen Toad listed in the Smash section before, same with the inklings, but no "OMG CePTAIN TOAD CONFERMED"-posts even so.

I jusy think a lot of Shovel Knoght-supporters are very obnoxious when it comes to overhyping what amounts to circumstantatial evidence of his inclusion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm getting a little tired of this whole Shovel Knight shenanigans too. Like every time something Smash related happens with this character, everybody loses their minds, yet when it happens to someone else (Chibi Robo) hardly anybody seems to care.....

It's kinda like this whole Mii Fighter costume thing that has been going on with the community. Inklings and other characters getting a Mii costume. Defenite disconfirmation. K.Rool gets a Mii Fighter costume and all of a sudden they apparently mean nothing anymore......

It's almost like some people just try to play around with things whenever it involves a character with a very vocal fanbase, but it's business as usual whenever something happens with a more minor character..... (Although I guess Inklings aren't that minor but still.....)

Sorry if it came off like I was ranting, didn't really mean to. Just felt like getting that out there. :/

Anyway, back to Layton....

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
It means something for Shovel Knight because of that rumor. Had that rumor not existed (or at least wasn't backed by PushDustIn and Neo Zero) people wouldn't have batched an eye and immediately regarded it as a mistake.
It's the same reason why some people interpret almost every Tweet by YCG as a hint to a playable Shovel Knight.

But yeah, back to Layton is a good suggestion. Would you guys be okay with a Layton Mii Outfit? I think I would, it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Yeah I'm getting a little tired of this whole Shovel Knight shenanigans too. Like every time something Smash related happens with this character, everybody loses their minds, yet when it happens to someone else (Chibi Robo) hardly anybody seems to care.....

It's kinda like this whole Mii Fighter costume thing that has been going on with the community. Inklings and other characters getting a Mii costume. Defenite disconfirmation. K.Rool gets a Mii Fighter costume and all of a sudden they apparently mean nothing anymore......

It's almost like some people just try to play around with things whenever it involves a character with a very vocal fanbase, but it's business as usual whenever something happens with a more minor character..... (Although I guess Inklings aren't that minor but still.....)

Sorry if it came off like I was ranting, didn't really mean to. Just felt like getting that out there. :/

Anyway, back to Layton....
I don't think that a Mii Fighter costume is definite disconfirmation. There are Mii Fighter costumes of playable characters already (Link, Samus, Captain Falcon, etc).

It does annoy me that Shovel Knight is getting so much speculation when it's game hasn't even been released in Japan. Surely, THAT means instant disconfirmation. It's like with Takamaru. Sakurai was going to make him playable, but decided against it due to the lack of global awareness. It works both ways.

If we get a Layton Mii outfit, I wouldn't mind, as long as Layton himself is released as playable at the same time and at least one other Layton character gets the same Mii treatment. Descole as a Swordfighter, Emmy as a Brawler. Maybe Luke as a Brawler as well, but I'm not sure how likely that is. He's a kid, after all. An awkward kid, let's face it.

I feel like if Nintendo goes to the trouble to ask for Level-5's permission to have Layton in the game as a Mii costume, it's kind of a waste. Might as well make him playable.

"Hey, Level-5, can we get permission to put Professor Layton in-"
"Smash Bros.!? Yes! Finally, yes! We've been waiting for this for-"
"-As a Mii costume."
"..."
"Hello?"
"Yeah... we're moving to Sony."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mii Fighter costumes and their relation to playable characters is something I'd probably rather not get into. Although I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if Sakurai already had his sights set on Dixie Kong since he did plan to include her before.....

Luke would make the most sense as a Mii Fighter costume as he's practically to Layton as Diddy Kong is to Donkey Kong and Tails is to Sonic etc. I don't think him being a kid would have much effect on it. The inspectors, Don Paolo and Flora would be neat too I guess. Not sure which Mii class the former three would go for (Probably gunner for the Inspectors) Flora can be a swordfighter with a sword shaped like the tower of St. Mystere.

But yeah. I don't think Sakurai would go through the trouble aquiring rights for a new third party just for a Mii costume. I wouldn't mind too much though since the series would at least get some acknowledgement but yeah. Playable for Layton would be preferred.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sorry for the double post but I thought I would just like to mention this while it's still a bit fresh in my mind.

So for some reason I got this pretty neat dream today where Layton was actually confirmed for Smash 4. I seem to only remember a few of the various screenshot's I've seen of the website though. His model looked really great and the design style was pretty similar to that of Azran Legacy with a bit more added detail included similar to Ness and Toon Link's models. I think his model even looked the exact same as the one in that game in the 3DS version.

I don't remember too much of it but apparently there was one screenshot of Luke walking alongside the Gizmo dog from Curious Village in the Wuhu Island stage as well as another screenshot of Layton holding a spear for some reason. (Presumebly related to some puzzle type attack I'd assume)

His stage seemed to be some sort of mix between London and Little London from Professor Layton's London Life with sprites of various recognizable characters and NPC's of the series walking around. Curiously the sprites of both London Life and the main game for the characters where used. I suppose the best way to describe it is that it followed a kinda similar theme as New Pork City in terms of art design but the overall stage looked pretty flat.

That's all I can remember of it as the rest is foggy now. Still thought I should mention it though since it was a pretty cool dream, not sure why I got it though but yes. We where all hyped. ^^

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post but I thought I would just like to mention this while it's still a bit fresh in my mind.

So for some reason I got this pretty neat dream today where Layton was actually confirmed for Smash 4. I seem to only remember a few of the various screenshot's I've seen of the website though. His model looked really great and the design style was pretty similar to that of Azran Legacy with a bit more added detail included similar to Ness and Toon Link's models. I think his model even looked the exact same as the one in that game in the 3DS version.

I don't remember too much of it but apparently there was one screenshot of Luke walking alongside the Gizmo dog from Curious Village in the Wuhu Island stage as well as another screenshot of Layton holding a spear for some reason. (Presumebly related to some puzzle type attack I'd assume)

His stage seemed to be some sort of mix between London and Little London from Professor Layton's London Life with sprites of various recognizable characters and NPC's of the series walking around. Curiously the sprites of both London Life and the main game for the characters where used. I suppose the best way to describe it is that it followed a kinda similar theme as New Pork City in terms of art design but the overall stage looked pretty flat.

That's all I can remember of it as the rest is foggy now. Still thought I should mention it though since it was a pretty cool dream, not sure why I got it though but yes. We where all hyped. ^^
Huh that's funny, I had a dream about smash bros today too. Except that in my dream instead of getting a new DLC character we got captain falcon again, the only difference being that this version didn't have a scarf. For some reason everyone was super hyped about captain falcon being on the roster twice. It was a really dumb dream.

Top Bottom