• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I too had dreams about Layton in Smash Bros a few times in the past, but it's been a while since I last had that kind of dream. My strongest memory of them was when I woke up. I remember thinking, "Seriously, it was just a dream? Oh come on!" I wonder if I'll have that kind of dream again soon...

Anyways, since I noticed there was a discussion relating to Mii Costumes, here are my ideas for Mii costume ideas for certain Layton characters.

Swordfighter:
Professor Layton
Descole
Desmond Sycamore
Young Randall
Older Randall
Anton

Professor Layton, Descole, Young Randall, and Anton are self-explanatory. Desmond Sycamore also fits well for this kind of Mii Fighter since he's Descole's true self. As for Older Randall? Well, I was thinking that the cane could be used as a sword (and if that sounds out of the ordinary, The Viridi Mii Costume and the fact her sword is her own staff would like to have a word with you), and personally, I think it'd be cool to see both versions of Randall have Mii costumes.

Brawler:
Luke Triton
Emmy Altava
Inspector Grosky
Inspector Chelmey
Leon Bronev

Emmy Altava, Inspector Grosky, and Leon Bronev are self-explanatory (Bronev's is obvious if you remember the final cutscene in Miracle Mask). I know Luke would likely get a costume due to his importance in the series, but I think if he were to get a costume, it would most likely be a Mii Brawler kind since he can be... expressive for a kid (especially that one cutscene in Diabolical Box when he jumps on Chelmey or he tried to go up against Descole's henchmen in the movie). As for Chelmney? Being an inspector, I'm sure he's trained to bring the criminal to the ground and use physical force if necessary (though the use of physical force is more defining for Grosky).

Gunner:
Flora
Don Paolo
Clive
Some Targent Officer
Aurora

The Targent Officer is self-explanatory (and I think there's a chance we could see a Mii Costume that has the basic Targent uniform since Targent has made recurring appearances in the series, particularly in the last two games released). Flora could use some sort of mechanized gun as a reference to the fact St. Mystere's villagers are robots, and Don Paolo could use some sort of personalized gun since he is particularly known for his inventions. Clive could easily use the Coin-Slot Machine Gun as his gun since he helped Layton build that in Unwound Future. Aurora could perhaps some sort of ancient-looking gun as a reference to the Azran Civilization.

I'm aware that a lot of these characters won't likely happen, but I guess you could say this is more of a "Mii Fighter wish list" regarding Layton characters.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Had a thought today, given that the NX development consoles have been confirmed to be given to developers, what's to say that the recordings we were blessed with the knowledge of were for an NX release title Layton game? Given that Layton pushed the 3DS in Japan, this honestly wouldn't surprise me. Plus, if what we know about this being a hybrid console is true, it would technically still be a handheld continuation of the series.

Since we know the end of Unwound Future confirms a continuation of the series in some way following the canonical timeline, it's a possibility that makes a lot of sense to me in my head. All we need to know is if this thing has a touch screen...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wasn't Miracle Mask initially developed for the DS but then moved over for the 3DS once they received the devkits for that console?

Assuming the NX will indeed be some sort of home console and handheld console type of hybrid and receive the speculated 2017 release (Which is coincidentally also the Professor Layton series 10th anniversary as Curious Village first came out in Japan in 2007). I wonder if they would first try to do some sort of HD port/remake of the DS games (or the original trilogy at the very least) similar to Miracle Mask + on the Japanese 3DS eShop in order to give the NX a timely Professor Layton launch title much like Miracle Mask was for the 3DS (For Japan at least...).

It would probably help to bring those who started with the prequels and didn't get the chance to experience the original trilogy a go with them with updated visuals, additional animated cutscenes, puzzles and features (stuff introduced in the prequels such as the episodes and treasure hunt can probably be brought over and reintroduced). Plus it would also bring everyone up to speed for the hypothetical next game which would most likely follow on after the events of Unwound/Lost Future. Especially since it's probably safe to assume the NX wouldn't be backwards compatible with DS games. (Unless they would release the DS games on the Virtual Console instead of course.)

Eitherway, I think 2017 would be the perfect time to give the series at least some sort of revival. Wether it's through a port/remaster of the DS games or carrying the series on from where it left off after Unwound/Lost Future. It is the series tenth anniversary after all and I would think Level-5 wouldn't just ignore it all right...... right? ^^;

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd gladly pay twice for HD Curious Village, Diabolical Box, and Unwound Future.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So character support boards are no more soon. (For real this time I guess)

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since this place has generally run its course by now.

For those who are still interested in discussing Professor Layton further. There is always the Professor Layton group to chat further about our favourite English gentleman and the group A Distant Demon A Distant Demon provided a link for.

Eitherway, it's been quite the ride with all sorts of news and rumours popping up in regards to our favourite puzzle solving professor. This thread was first opened all the way back on the 25th of June 2012 and was one of the first things I did back when I first joined the forums, I'm very happy to see this thread managed to stay active for so long. ^^

We still have the voice lines left unaccounted for so here's hoping for the best though.

Eitherway, it's been a good run and I hope you enjoyed hanging out with the Professor Layton support thread too . ^^

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
We'll see soon, I think. At least one new Nintendo Direct coming before the end of the year? Sounds like early November to my ears! ^^

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
May our concerns be finally put to rest with the next Direct.....

I think we may receive another wave of three or four (depending if we get one or two more semi/pseudo-clones again I guess) so here's hoping.....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure, if I'll really be much active once the character support boards becomes no more.

I often lurk the Nintenzone thread and post every once in a while but that's pretty much it I think....

Considering I'm working further on my 3D modelling project as well as planning on making a (indie for now I guess) game of my own. I might end up hanging around more over at the VG Resource forums and Tumblr though. If any of you are interested in that or simply want to see how I'm doing, feel free to drop by and say hi. ^^

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
So Curious Villager Curious Villager are you not planning on making a Layton thread in that new social group? Because it seems like quite a few threads are still continuing as they have been from the look of things (click here to see some of them). I believe the Layton talk would still survive for a while if a thread is made there, and we'd still have somewhere to talk apart from the Layton specific social group (which I think isn't public?). Just wondering if you were going to do that, because if not then someone else may decide to make a thread there for Layton instead.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So Curious Villager Curious Villager are you not planning on making a Layton thread in that new social group? Because it seems like quite a few threads are still continuing as they have been from the look of things (click here to see some of them). I believe the Layton talk would still survive for a while if a thread is made there, and we'd still have somewhere to talk apart from the Layton specific social group (which I think isn't public?). Just wondering if you were going to do that, because if not then someone else may decide to make a thread there for Layton instead.
Oh, I haven't really thought about that yet. I don't really visit that group all that often. If we could simply move this thread into that group, I think that would be great. If not then I guess I wouldn't mind trying to make a fresh new thread there.

I'll have to ask if that's possible though. FalKoopa FalKoopa

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh, I haven't really thought about that yet. I don't really visit that group all that often. If we could simply move this thread into that group, I think that would be great. If not then I guess I wouldn't mind trying to make a fresh new thread there.

I'll have to ask if that's possible though. FalKoopa FalKoopa
I'm afraid moving it is not possible. You'll have to copy-paste the starting post.

:231:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm afraid moving it is not possible. You'll have to copy-paste the starting post.

Thank you.

Considering the OP has become quite long with all sorts of content included over the past few years. I guess I'll take it apart a little and see what I can include that's still relevant. If there is anything you guys want me to carry over, feel free to let me know. ^^

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thank you.

Considering the OP has become quite long with all sorts of content included over the past few years. I guess I'll take it apart a little and see what I can include that's still relevant. If there is anything you guys want me to carry over, feel free to let me know. ^^
The codec conversations you made for all the characters, definitely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The codec conversations you made for all the characters, definitely.

Wouldn't that take up a lot of space in the thread though? (Due to all the images which may or may not be broken by now, I think I have to check....) Even if spoilered? I think I already brought them all over in the Professor Layton group but I suppose I can probably provide a link there. I might make the Professor Layton group public too and provide a direct link to it too....

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wouldn't that take up a lot of space in the thread though? (Due to all the images which may or may not be broken by now, I think I have to check....) Even if spoilered? I think I already brought them all over in the Professor Layton group but I suppose I can probably provide a link there. I might make the Professor Layton group public too and provide a direct link to it too....
I suppose. You can always link the old thread there.

Top Bottom