• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I voted for Rayman when the ballot started, but I've put in my three other votes now. Might vote on more characters if I think of any though.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hey guys, hope for the best for the ballot, I voted for Layton a few times. I know it's a bit of a long shot for him to get in, but I feel he's done a lot for Nintendo and him being in smash could do even more. I think him being in smash would not only attract most hardcore Nintendo and smash fans to his games, but also would introduce the more casual Layton audience to many more Nintendo games. This kinda thing is the reason why snake is my favorite 3rd character, because although he arguable didn't fit the style, he made a lot of smash/Nintendo fans into metal gear fans, and a lot of metal gear fans into smash/Nintendo fans. I really hope we get Layton because he's a gaming icon, even though in a different sense than that of megaman, Pac, and sonic. At the very least I hope we solve the puzzle of the origin of those mysterious voice lines.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I honestly think Layton is one of the Top 5 most likely candidates for DLC, regardless of the ballot, in part because of the fact we actually have a potential piece of evidence to say work has actually been done for his inclusion.

We honestly can't say that for any other character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's nice to see some people thought the same and decided to give their last two cents for Layton too. That's very much appreciated. ^^

You know, I was wondering if anybody has any sources of the voice actors of Ryu and Shulk. Apparently they went through a similar thing as Christopher Miller did with Layton and I would like to check a few things in regards to that. I'll probably also check that one interview of Xander Mobus too....

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Huh, the American English doesn't have the option to put in your name and age. Anyway, voted three times using the Dutch, UK and American English ballots. I don't know if that works, but it never hurts to try. I wish my French and German were still good enough to not make glaring grammar mistakes...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's nice to know Level-5 is still making nods and references to the Layton series. The references in Yokai Watch and Layton 7 more or less shows that they haven't forgotten about the Professor Layton series yet. :)

Huh, the American English doesn't have the option to put in your name and age. Anyway, voted three times using the Dutch, UK and American English ballots. I don't know if that works, but it never hurts to try. I wish my French and German were still good enough to not make glaring grammar mistakes...
I don't think you need to worry too much about that. The ballot asks for one vote per person and considering Sakurai's statement in regards to how he initially planned to make Mewtwo Club Nintendo exclusive until the thought about the possibility of siblings owning multiple 3DS's came across, chances are he thought the same about the ballot and multiple siblings wanting to vote too....

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
It's nice to know Level-5 is still making nods and references to the Layton series. The references in Yokai Watch and Layton 7 more or less shows that they haven't forgotten about the Professor Layton series yet. :)

I don't think you need to worry too much about that. The ballot asks for one vote per person and considering Sakurai's statement in regards to how he initially planned to make Mewtwo Club Nintendo exclusive until the thought about the possibility of siblings owning multiple 3DS's came across, chances are he thought the same about the ballot and multiple siblings wanting to vote too....
Yeah, but siblings probably won't use three different ballots from three different site languages. :p
And of course Level-5 won't forget Layton that easy. It's not a huge company (like Nintendo big, it's not small, like most indie companies, either), so they need all their advertisement, especially in the West, as Inazuma Eleven isn't that much of a hit here (I think?) and Yo-Kai Watch's overseas popularity is yet unknown. Layton is currently the only one who's capable of advertising Level-5 in the West.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, but siblings probably won't use three different ballots from three different site languages. :p
And of course Level-5 won't forget Layton that easy. It's not a huge company (like Nintendo big, it's not small, like most indie companies, either), so they need all their advertisement, especially in the West, as Inazuma Eleven isn't that much of a hit here (I think?) and Yo-Kai Watch's overseas popularity is yet unknown. Layton is currently the only one who's capable of advertising Level-5 in the West.
Inazuma Eleven is out in Europe, I'm not sure if the series came out in America though (I wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't considering football/soccer isn't as popular over there) I haven't heard much of how well it did in Europe but I don't think it really managed to generate as much buzz as the Layton series did. (At least I haven't seen as much anticipation for its games as I did for the Professor Layton series.) At least the anime can be viewed over at the Nintendo Anime channel though.

Yokai Watch we have yet to see how well it would do in the west once it comes out, so I guess we will have to wait for that one.

But the Professor Layton series has been tried and true and managed to be popular all over, especially in Europe and Japan and Level-5 seems to enjoy continuing working with it and referencing it whenever they can. So I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised if they (or Sakurai) chose him for Smash 4. Especially since they have shown interest to see Layton into the Super Smash Bros series a few times before.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's been a long ride...

Let's see this thing through, one last time.

:)

danbrysmi

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone.

Before this thing is over, I want to tell you how much this means to me.

So I am a definite fan. I have played 5/6 of the games in the Layton saga, shipping the Last Specter from America JUST BECAUSE it had a Layton RPG-Style game with it! (also slightly irrelevantly, I full-on supported one of the contestants on this year's series of The Great British Bake Off called Flora because she looked like how I imagined her in real life - but anyway...)

I joined this thread on April 2015 and it has grown so much, now with over 100 supporters in the forum alone! You have made me smile with your fan art, 3d models, polls and the concept of perhaps making a Layton fan game is absolutely amazing!!!

If Layton gets in or not, I'm always going to be a Layton fan, and no one can change that. My passion for him both inside and outside of Smash will be huge. I want to thank you all so very much for your support. I love you all. Thank you for everything!

I'm done. The longest post I have ever written ( which actually is way shorter than most of your posts ;D)

P.S. If this thread dies, we need to go to the social forum and carry on with our glorious chats.

P.P.S. Gonna get my last ballot form in - better make it a good'n

P.P.P.S. Turns out I wasn't actually done after all xD So long chums! KEEP THAT LAYTON LOVE!!!! GO OUT THERE AND BE TRUE LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You can just make a Conversation group if you still wanna have Layton chats if the thread closes.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Well, it all ends tomorrow, doesn't it?

It's going to feel a little empty after then, but I'll say two words: thank you. Who knows what the future holds, but I have to admit; things have come a long way from when I was scrutinising the fake leak by RogersBase through TopHatProfessor.

We're leaving things off with the strongest public evidence of a ballot character potentially being confirmed. If anyone had said that would happen six months prior, I would have called them insane. Now, I can't shake the feeling that Layton is on his way. If he is, however, it'll keep up tradition of one game featuring Layton every year! All we have now is our last few votes, and a hell of a lot of hoping to do.

It's been fun. I remember I signed up to SmashBoards just for this thread.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
With one new stage and three new characters, I'm predicting at least one newcomer and at least one veteran. Personally, I think Layton or a Rhythm Paradise representative is the most likely final non-ballot newcomer. Despite loving Rhythm Paradise more than anyone I know, I'm keeping all fingers crossed for Layton.
Two new stages, actually. Could be for two newcomers, or one returning stage and one for a newcomer, but I'm predicting the former.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I haven't posted anything here before, so, I just wanted to mention that I voted for Professor Layton when the ballot first started and, if I'm not mistaken, somewhere in-between, a second time.

I was always a gigantic Layton fan and he is, as a matter of fact, somewhere in my top-5 most wanted characters for Smash.
The suspicious happening about the voice actor gave me hope, let's hope it won't be for nothing.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well, it all ends tomorrow, doesn't it?

It's going to feel a little empty after then, but I'll say two words: thank you. Who knows what the future holds, but I have to admit; things have come a long way from when I was scrutinising the fake leak by RogersBase through TopHatProfessor.

We're leaving things off with the strongest public evidence of a ballot character potentially being confirmed. If anyone had said that would happen six months prior, I would have called them insane. Now, I can't shake the feeling that Layton is on his way. If he is, however, it'll keep up tradition of one game featuring Layton every year! All we have now is our last few votes, and a hell of a lot of hoping to do.

It's been fun. I remember I signed up to SmashBoards just for this thread.
Hey I signed up on smashBoards for this thread too! Also just want to say out of all the support threads this one is probably the most pleasant, I guess the professor's personality does rub off on us.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Just wanted to say this has been a wild ride, and I decided to cast one more vote in for the professor. Tried to sum up his potential playstyle and good standing with Nintendo, making sure to stay tried-and-true to my gentlemanly thoughts Layton's taught me over the years. It feels like we're finally in an amazing position, what with all these new supporters and potential/faked leaks spreading about. This has been an absolutely wonderful experience, and I'm happy to have found this community. I wish us and our competitors the best of luck; it's time to take a rest from the speculation and hope we were able to make a difference. :)

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Everyone else is doing it, so let me make a 'final post', though I'm sure I'll post again in celebration if Layton does get confirmed.

All of my friends think that Layton doesn't stand a chance at getting in. While they don't discount Layton because of any potential movesets and all agree that he would be a good fit mechanically, they don't think that he has enough of an influence as a character for people to want to buy him on a massive scale if he gets released as paid-DLC.

Thank you all for proving them wrong. It's become clear that Layton is a much-requested character in the Nintendo universe, and I've had a lot of fun over the past few months speculating and planning with you guys.

We've discussed movesets, stages, leaks, and talked about making a fan-game! I don't think any other character support thread on this site has shown this much dedication for a single character.

Because, if I may get cheesy for a moment, we're not just supporting a character to get into Smash Bros.. We're campaigning for part of our video-gaming history to be recognised by the gaming community. All of us, at some point in our lives, picked up a Layton game, looked at it, wondered what the heck it was all about, played it and never looked back.

Professor Layton has done so much for all of us over 7 games. I glad we had the chance to return the favour.

See you all in the social group.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guess I'll share my experience with the series too.

I was initially introduced to the series via ONM, back then only Curious Village came out and I was really anticipating the release of Brawl. (I believe the two games came out in the same year in Europe)

ONM did once an article about the best Wii and DS games of the year 2008 that fans could vote on, it was quite surprising to see that Curious Village actually managed to stand toe to toe with Brawl as many fans had a lot of wonderful things to say about that game and thus it won alongside Brawl as the best DS and Wii games of 2008 respectively.

After looking further into it I found out that Curious Village was actually a pretty big hit here in England to the point it even caught my sister's interest and thus bought the game for us to try out. It didn't really take long for me to get hooked with the game and find out what the fuss was all about as I really enjoyed the sweet little plot it had as well as it's colourful cast of characters it first introduced at the time.

Sometime afterward, I decided to purchase Lost Future as well and at that point, it more or less cemented me as a huge fan of the Professor Layton series. Since then I've played every main game in the series and have been working on various fan projects for it too.

The series definitely had an impact and I would love to see it being recognized in the Super Smash Bros series, not just to see Layton in Smash. But to also see its legacy live on and introducing many people who may never have tried the series before to give it a go too. ^^

We may have potential evidence that Layton may indeed be coming into the Super Smash Bros series. But lets still hope for the best.

Last edited:

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Layton has moved up another place in the wanted section of the RTC thread, after Raymans rerate. Since there are quite a few nominations for a Layton rerate, do you think that would be a good thing? Personally I don't really want to risk the Professors current position.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton has moved up another place in the wanted section of the RTC thread, after Raymans rerate. Since there are quite a few nominations for a Layton rerate, do you think that would be a good thing? Personally I don't really want to risk the Professors current position.
Considering the last rerate, Layton got quite a bit of flack from them....

Not sure if the voice lines and the recent buzz for him, not to mention certain recent polls showing that he is indeed a fairly highly requested character would sway them in any way, but I would hope they would give him a little more fair overview at least.....

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet
I must say, it's been a pleasure speculating with you all and great to know that there are other like-minded Layton fans out there across the globe. My story with Layton goes way back to 2008 as well, when Curious Village was first released. I found it going cheap on the bargain shelf at my local Tesco and I was attracted by the originality of it, so I picked it up and played it for the first time later that evening and my lord was I hooked. I loved absolutely everything about it and recall staying up late with a mate of mine trying to solve that puzzle near the end where you have to make rectangles of different sizes and colours. The joy when we saw that third frame with a smile followed by "CORRECT" was immense. Great times.
When I later saw Pandora's Box on a similar shelf I swiped it immediately and from then on I was truly a Layton convert, buying all the games within a month of release. A large Curious Village poster adorns my wall to this day, my desktop wallpaper is the cover of the Professor Layton artbook (plan to get that one ASAP as well!), I made a top hat out of card once and if I ever find me a Layton plushie I'll probably squeal with delight. Never grow up, guys!

The Layton games were and still are my favourite videogames. They really helped me through some tough times by focussing my mind on other things and I've had so many great memories from playing them. To me, and I'm afraid I'm heading into the realms of extreme cheesiness here, they'll always be more than a series of puzzle games. They mean a lot to me, stupid as it sounds to say it.

Don't expect this to be my last post, by the way. You won't be getting rid of me so easily, whether you want to or not! Fingers crossed that in a few months time, we'll be analysing every second of reveal trailer for our favourite true gentleman.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Haha we do kinda sound like we are giving each other goodbye's and all. :laugh:

The ballot may have come to its final day, but the wait has just started. Like I said before. Let's hope for the best now. :)

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
My experiences with the Layton-franchise go back to 2008 too. I heard some great stories about Curious Village and got it for Christmas by my dad. The game managed to get me hooked with the story pretty quickly, never had I expected a puzzle game to have such an interesting story and great characters.

And after I bought Diabolical Box two years later and it managed to hook me once again with the story and characters, I knew I had a new series I loved.

Beating Azran Legacy made me sad, realizing Layton was officially over. But this is probably for the best, I wouldn't want it to continue with the risk of the franchise losing its Layton-touch because Level-5 doesn't have any idea how to continue the Hershel Layton-story.
Let's hope Layton itself isn't gone for good and that our top hatted professor is coming to Smash soon.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
I full-on supported one of the contestants on this year's series of The Great British Bake Off called Flora because she looked like how I imagined her in real life - but anyway...
That what I've been thinking whilst I've watched it. Should does look a lot like Flora.

I was initially introduced to the series via ONM, back then only Curious Village came out and I was really anticipating the release of Brawl. (I believe the two games came out in the same year in Europe)
I used to read ONM all the time (in fact there is an issue in the draw next to me now), and its a real shame it got cancelled. They were pretty big Layton supporters too, putting him in a feature for their most wanted Smash characters. They also did a feature more recently about Layton crossovers, with Smash being the first one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think I started getting really into Layton around 2010 or 2011. Not sure, but definitely not as long as most here.

A friend of mine was playing the series and he said he got these games every year for Christmas. I had a brief experience with Curious Village and enjoyed it, and always liked the art style of the games. So when I found out there was a movie, I decided to give it a watch.

I ended up adoring it, it's one of my favourite movies now. I didn't jump into the games immediately since I was going through a busy and tough time in school, but once I was more free, I played through the games (up to Last Sceptre was out at the time) for like, a month. Then I've continued playing whatever games come out since. The friend who introduced me to the series isn't my friend now (let's just say he said and did some things), so I don't have any friends who are into the series, so I don't talk about it much (that goes for pretty much anything I'm into). One of my online friends is getting into it (and I believe he also voted for Layton), but that's it. I still love everything about the series regardless.

I don't know what else to say besides that I hope he gets into the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That what I've been thinking whilst I've watched it. Should does look a lot like Flora.

I used to read ONM all the time (in fact there is an issue in the draw next to me now), and its a real shame it got cancelled. They were pretty big Layton supporters too, putting him in a feature for their most wanted Smash characters. They also did a feature more recently about Layton crossovers, with Smash being the first one.
Just looked up on this Flora lady from the great British bake off. Gosh, she does look quite a bit like an older real life version of Professor Layton's Flora. She even seems to do that smiley facial expression Flora always does in the series. Makes me wonder if she deliberately did that as a secret Professor Layton fan or something. just kidding :p

ONM was definitely in big support of Layton for the Super Smash Bros series. Makes me kinda wish they where still around and helped us push for his inclusion a little further.....

Anyway, I'm planning on learning how to use FL studio next. I might try and remix a Professor Layton song if I can....

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just looked up on this Flora lady from the great British bake off. Gosh, she does look quite a bit like an older real life version of Professor Layton's Flora. She even seems to do that smiley facial expression Flora always does in the series. Makes me wonder if she deliberately did that as a secret Professor Layton fan or something. just kidding :p

ONM was definitely in big support of Layton for the Super Smash Bros series. Makes me kinda wish they where still around and helped us push for his inclusion a little further.....

Anyway, I'm planning on learning how to use FL studio next. I might try and remix a Professor Layton song if I can....
I actually once remastered the Puzzle theme for the first game in FL Studio, but I think I lost the files for it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I actually once remastered the Puzzle theme for the first game in FL Studio, but I think I lost the files for it.
Oh that's a shame, I would have loved to hear it. ^^

I would actually like to try my hand on doing a medley song for Curious Village and a few other themes sometime similar to how Smash Bros does some of its medley's if I can....

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I just took care of my extra Smash Ballot vote for the Professor before the Smash Ballot closed.

*I meant to write October 2010 there. Small typo.

My previous Ballot vote for Layton focused on how Layton could be unique with his moveset while throwing some details about how iconic he was here and there. This vote is the reverse of that, focusing more on his fame and touching on the moveset potential here and there.

And since we are all sharing some reflections with the Ballot's closure. I'd thought I'd share mine. I'll first talk about my experience as a Layton fan over the years.

I was actually first introduced to the Layton games through Youtube after watching some Let's Plays from beginning to end (and I curiously stumbled upon those videos as well). What drew me to the games was the storylines each game provided, as I'm a huge fan of games that have a sense of mystery to them that carry major plot twists. I saw the puzzles here and there, and while the Youtuber was in the process of solving them, I tried to solve the puzzles on my own, though in the end, I was more of a story guy when it came to the Layton games. I remember liking the Layton series even more after watching the Layton movie, which still remains one of my favorite movies to this day. I finally had the chance to actually play a Layton game for myself with Miracle Mask, and it was an enjoyable experience. I even remember I was the first to upload the English Dubbed cutscenes before anyone else did on Youtube. When Azran Legacy came along, I was saddened by the thought this was Layton's last adventure, and even the ending credits theme added to that vibe.

As for the Professor himself, he's definitely one of my favorite video game characters out there. I even consider him to be one of the most inspirational video game characters around thanks to his gentleman personality and calculating approach when he confronts a mystery. There's even many inspirational quotes I remember from this guy. To name my favorite ones:
  • "One must always show gratitude to one's teachers. That's what a gentleman does." - From Diabolical Box
  • "In this life, one must always be true to oneself." - From Last Specter
  • "Critical thinking is the key to success." - From Curious Village
And my favorite of the bunch:
  • "You see, true friends share a special connection. And this connection endures no matter how far apart they may be separated physically. Distance and time apart are irrelevant to the bond formed by a true friendship." - From Unwound Future
Quite the inspirational words, am I right? Just comes to show how amazing the Professor is aside from being a master puzzle solver. As for my thoughts about Layton in Smash? Well, I technically already had such reflections a while back, so I'll just this here from August 25:
Professor Layton still remains my most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros to this day.

My interest in Layton for Smash Bros began around the time the first Smash Bros rumors were coming around, and this was before the games were officially revealed at E3. I'm talking about back when everyone thought the next Smash Bros game was going to be called Super Smash Bros Universe. Around that time, one of the fake leaks that came out had Professor Layton on that list. As a Layton fan, I was curious about it and started to research and imagine the possibilities regarding what Layton could do in Smash.

It was also close to that time that Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney was known to the public, but it was around the early stages of development. I still remember the hype when Phoenix Wright was revealed for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. When I learned Phoenix Wright was going to be in UMvC3 and looked back at that Layton vs Wright crossover game, I thought to myself, "You know, the way how they are currently setting this up is if it's really going to be Layton vs Wright, and now that Wright has an appearance in a fighting game, Layton should also get that treatment so that he can be equal with the bragging rights, and what better game to let Layton shine than Smash Bros 4!" While Wright would make an interesting addition in Smash 4, I thought Layton would be more fitting since he seemed to feel more like a Nintendo character compared to the famous video game attorney.

This interest only skyrocketed once Smash Bros 4 was officially revealed at E3 2013; it reached the point that Layton became my most wanted. I remember eagerly awaiting for the upcoming trailers to reveal the Professor. Alas, none of them revealed Layton, but I know I got even more hyped for Layton after watching Palutena and Robin's reveal trailers. Both of these trailers used animations exclusive to their games (well with Palutena's case, the animation was from those 3DS movies) along with some epic fight scenes, and when I looked back at the many awesome fight scenes in the Layton games, I became hyped for Layton even more because I wanted to see a glorious looking trailer where the Layton art style with a battle taking place that would match that epic feel like those Layton battles had.

Things looked grim when the full roster was finally confirmed, but I remember having constant daydreams about Layton actually fighting some of the characters on the roster as I listened to the Smash Bros soundtrack (I even listened to some Layton tracks to heighten the daydream, imagining a Smash Bros battle taking place while the music was playing). When the Smash Ballot was revealed, I was overjoyed. I thought to myself, "Finally, a way to tell Sakurai why Layton should be in Smash." My support for Layton went up even higher since then (I still daydream about Layton in an actual Smash Bros match).

When I look back at the past, this was the first Smash Bros support thread I joined on Smashboards. I guess that also shows how much I support Layton in Smash.
And to add to that, my very first post on Smashboards was on this thread asking to join the supporter list and a promise to share my ideas regarding Layton in Smash. With a year gone by since then, I'm happy to see how much this thread has grown, and I think it'll continue to prosper in the years to come!

As a heads up, this thread won't close down right away now that the Smash Ballot is over. From what I've been reading around Smashboards, all of the support threads will close down after the final batch of DLC is released, so don't worry, there's still time for a thread like this to expand with supporters.

But these next few months will definitely be an even bigger ride now that we will be waiting in anticipation to see who the next DLC characters are. I'm still crossing my fingers that one of them will be our favorite English puzzle-solving gentleman.

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I realize I don't post here, but this is the only thread I check on here because you guys supply me with the most recent Professor Layton news, whether it be in Smash Bros or Layton 7. So though you haven't heard from me, it definitely saddens me that this is it. I hope our professor gets in, because he truly deserves to be.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
she does?

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Getting a good feeling about Smashified this month. They've already mentioned that Character 12 is coming along well, and given the overwhelming support recently, I think it'll be Layton. The next is going to be either Layton or Bandana Dee, and then Bayonetta is being lined up for a Halloween release. Either way, two cool renders coming up, and we're going to see the hints starting to pop up next week I think.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Artsy Omni decides to do a Smash 4 render of Layton, I wonder if he would be happy to do a sketch of him facing the front and side view too......

Maybe if we asked him really nicely.......? :T

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
I'm really excited, and a bit uneasy, to see who will be the next characters released. I really do feel good about Layton's chances, but I almost feel as if this is it. If it doesn't happen now, it will never happen. I don't know if that's true or not, but that is how I feel, at the very least.

As for my experience with the Layton-series, I was never really instantly hooked. The first game I played was Lost Future and while I thought the game was good, and more charming than most other games relased at the time, it didn't really catchy attention all that much, and it ended up in my backlog after I had played about half of it.

That could have been the end of my Layton story, but thankfully Miracle Mask came along. I don't remember if I reviewed it or not, but somehow it ended up in my hands (and I remember being quite hyped for it as well, due to what I thought was a great trailer for the game). The game really impressed me. Seeing Luke enjoy the parade and Layton's days at upper secondary made me feel childish delight, while one moment in particular left me feeling completely devastated.

Moreover, the puzzles hooked me this time around. I kept going until I had completed all puzzles in the game, and then I went out and bought all the other games in the series as soon as I was finished with it. The clerk at the store probably thought I was obsessed, and he was probably right in thinking so. Over the next week I did almost nothing but play through the games, getting through one every other day. I brought my 3DS to school, and while I didn't have guts to play during classes, I would spend my time crafting puzzles for one of my mates to solve.

By the time the Wii U came out in the end of November, I had played through all the games (although I hadn*t 100%ed them yet, I considered myself done with the series for the moment. In order to afford the complete launch line-up of games for the new console, I sold off a lot of games, almost all of my 360 collection went. Had it been one year earlier, I would probably have sold the Layton games without batting an eyelid, as I already had done once with The Lost Future, but now I'm almost disgusted by the idea that I ever got rid of the game.

Since then, I've considered Layton one of my favorite franchises, video game or otherwise, and I try to live up to the lessons his games have provided for me. Apparantly, I've but him up as one of my inspirational people on Facebook, something I now had forgotten about. Even so, I do find myself considering how The Professor would advice me to behave or think at times, so I suppose calling him an inspiration to me is rather fitting after all. My collection at the moment includes all seven games and the Japanese-only guidebook I'm terrified of reading, and I'm looking to expand it, as it really is one of the franchises I would love to own merchandise from, but I'm unable to find it anywhere. Some plushies or figurines would be ace.

All in all, or rather TLDR, you could say Layton is a pretty big hero to me.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I know, I'm a little late, but here's a little thing I made:
I wanted it to be done before the ballot ended, but, well, it took me longer than expected.

However, I also made some possible pallet swaps:

Please enjoy. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know, I'm a little late, but here's a little thing I made:
I wanted it to be done before the ballot ended, but, well, it took me longer than expected.

However, I also made some possible pallet swaps:

Please enjoy. :)
I like the bottom left one. It looks like a monochrome design, like something from a classic Disney short.

Top Bottom