• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So today I wanted to share something from @PushDustIn of Source Gaming. A few days ago I was given a list that he compiled using various requests across the internet and logibility. I finished the list, which compiled the most likely characters for Smash DLC. So without further ado, here's the list.

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Waddle Dee (aka: Bandana Dee)
Professor Layton
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) (Second SEGA rep)

These results are obviously unexpected, so if there are any questions or thoughts feel free to share.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So today I wanted to share something from @PushDustIn of Source Gaming. A few days ago I was given a list that he compiled using various requests across the internet and logibility. I finished the list, which compiled the most likely characters for Smash DLC. So without further ado, here's the list.

Pre-ballot:
Wolf
Shovel Knight

Post-ballot:
Dixie Kong
Waddle Dee (aka: Bandana Dee)
Professor Layton
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) (Second SEGA rep)

These results are obviously unexpected, so if there are any questions or thoughts feel free to share.
i doesnt really raise any questions rather make you assume it didnt cover to many places

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would hope that something will come from this.

At least the Layton rumor has been fairly quiet lately whereas most of the internet is focusing their attention on the Shovel Knight rumor which I suppose is good if Layton doesn't wind up as DLC after all.....

I still would like to know more about Project X Zone 2 and if Miller's session may have had anything to do with that....

Last edited:

Ekazumon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ekazumon
3DS FC
5215-0401-0822
I would hope that something will come from this.

At least the Layton rumor has been fairly quiet lately whereas most of the internet is focusing their attention on the Shovel Knight rumor which I suppose is good if Layton doesn't wind up as DLC after all.....

I still would like to know more about Project X Zone 2 and if Miller's session may have had anything to do with that....
If Miller's session was for Project X Zone 2 and Layton did get in, do you think that another Level-5 character would get in? Well it would make sense, since it would be odd just to have a single franchise to represent one company. Seems like almost any :Level-5 franchise would qualify, since each one generally has at least 1 "human" like main character.

I guess Project X Zone is ditching the whole Capcom vs. Namco Bandai thing. I guess the number of companies represented is continuing to grow with each iteration.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Personally I think it's just Namco Bandai, Capcom, SEGA, and Nintendo. And Layton is a cartoony character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought they just said no humanoid animal characters (Like Sonic). Then again, I think they did include one. At least from what I've heard....

I suppose if they where to include two Level-5 franchises much like they included two Nintendo franchises. It would probably be Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven (If not Inazuma Eleven then probably Yokai Watch and it's two main human characters.)

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Personally I think it's just Namco Bandai, Capcom, SEGA, and Nintendo. And Layton is a cartoony character.
With the addition of Phoenix Wright, you could argue that Layton could be added if he was eligible.

If Miller's session was for Project X Zone 2 and Layton did get in, do you think that another Level-5 character would get in? Well it would make sense, since it would be odd just to have a single franchise to represent one company. Seems like almost any :Level-5 franchise would qualify, since each one generally has at least 1 "human" like main character.

I guess Project X Zone is ditching the whole Capcom vs. Namco Bandai thing. I guess the number of companies represented is continuing to grow with each iteration.
I think it's kind of like "Oh since we are working on the 3DS, how about you put some of your characters in here Nintendo?"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm more hoping that Layton is in Smash 4.

I'm just keeping the possibility of him making a potential appearance in Project X Zone 2 open in case that's the game that Chris actually voiced for....

I wouldn't mind seeing him in that game and rejoin Phoenix once more though....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I'm just keeping the possibility of him making a potential appearance in Project X Zone 2 open in case that's the game that Chris actually voiced for....

if you ask me that me layton in PXZ2 feels a little less likely than him being smash

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I can confirm that Miller's session was not for PXZ2, as all of the VA was done in Japanese.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

No evidence that he can't join him again in Smash Bros though... I mean I personally feel they are the 3rd parties with the best chances.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guess I still have this pessimistic side of me then..... *shrugs*

The next Direct/Smash Direct really can't come soon enough....

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
http://liumaoxing.tumblr.com/post/129838151009
Professor Lenkon's theme in YW can be heard here. If you're curious.
Man, that was brilliant! I just started watching some of the anime series, and I'm really looking forward to the game. I've concidered downloading it on my import 3DS, but I don't really know if I'll understand enough as my Japanese is still a bit shaky. Really looking forward to the game, though. LBX didn't really do it for me (not yet at least), but I always believe in the quality of Level-5 games.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
I think they almost hinted at something like this at the end of The Lost Future. Layton 7 is launching this year (although I thought it was supposed to arrive this summer?), so I don't think it's necessarily unlikely to hear about something new at Level-5 Vision next year. The series won't die, as it was Level-5's first independently developed series (that was successfull, at least), and it's obvious that the character and universe means a lot to Akihiro Hino as well. Azran Legacy released in January 2013, so by the next Level-5 Vision, it'll be three years since the previous mainline game in the series. While I can see them having it on hiatus for longer, I think three years is still a fitting interlude, and it's enough for fans to really be hungry for more.

All in all, I just hope the series stays with Nintendo hardware. Fantasy Life 2 not being announced for 3DS yet is depressing enough.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow, that art of Luke and Claire almost looks as if it were real! I love it! :)
That's Flora actually but yeah, it does look really nice. ^^
You mean something like this?
http://puzzlestepladdertrick.tumblr...no-more-games-about-professor-layton-well-how

This is not mine nor do I know the person who did it personally. I just found it on the Layton subreddit months ago.
I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing a game where Luke and Flora where more on the helm and Layton taking a bit more of an advisor type of role. It would help to give these two a bit more screentime and development too. Showing everything that Luke has learned from Layton over the years to the test and giving Flora more character development and focus that she sadly missed out on in the original trilogy due to most of it mainly being directed towards Layton and Luke.

I suppose it can work out since their characters fans are familiar with and well liked and aren't suddenly thrown with a brand new and unfamiliar main character that most fans may not like. Although Apollo Justice and Alfendi Layton more or less got a lot of flack mainly because they where thrown to the fandoms so suddenly and abruptly and they where unfamiliar characters at the time, nowadays their pretty well liked characters in their own right so I suppose it might depend.....

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's Flora actually but yeah, it does look really nice. ^^

I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing a game where Luke and Flora where more on the helm and Layton taking a bit more of an advisor type of role. It would help to give these two a bit more screentime and development too. Showing everything that Luke has learned from Layton over the years to the test and giving Flora more character development and focus that she sadly missed out on in the original trilogy due to most of it mainly being directed towards Layton and Luke.

I suppose it can work out since their characters fans are familiar with and well liked and aren't suddenly thrown with a brand new and unfamiliar main character that most fans may not like. Although Apollo Justice and Alfendi Layton more or less got a lot of flack mainly because they where thrown to the fandoms so suddenly and abruptly and they where unfamiliar characters at the time, nowadays their pretty well liked characters in their own right so I suppose it might depend.....
Auto-correct on my new phone is strange. I don't know why it does these things.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Auto-correct on my new phone is strange. I don't know why it does these things.
It's okay, not sure why your phone got Claire out of Flora but.....

Wait a sec....
Wow, that art of Luke and Fiora almost looks as if it were real! I love it! :)

That artist sure gave Flora a more drastic make over than I thought, almost like she's from a different franchise altogether..... :troll:

Sorry couldn't resist. :p

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's okay, not sure why your phone got Claire out of Flora but.....

Wait a sec....

That artist sure gave Flora a more drastic make over than I thought, almost like she's from a different franchise altogether..... :troll:

Sorry couldn't resist. :p
And so it happens again.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I've been wondering. In the hypothetical sense that these voice recordings are indeed intended for Smash 4 and that Layton is indeed on his way to Smash 4 as DLC.

Do you think that there may have been any potential influence from Level-5 themselves to get Layton into Smash 4?

For example, Konami and Sega apparently approached Sakurai to include Snake and Sonic into Melee but couldn't due to time constraints (It's probably worth noting that that was Sakurai's only reason for why they couldn't get in (If I recall correctly), even during Melee) likewise for Capcom who didn't approach Sakurai for Megaman in Brawl, rather expecting to receive a phone call from Sakurai himself. So it's not really unprecedented that other companies may want to see their character in Smash and even approach Sakurai for it or hoping to receive a phone call from him etc but couldn't due to it being too late for them then. And with DLC being possible now. Said companies don't have to wait until the next game for their next chance to get their characters into the series. (Sakurai may also want to check the ballot to see if Layton has a decent amount of requests as well I suppose)

Hino has expressed interest to see Layton in Smash (twice) and even got this idea brought up to him right next to Sakurai himself. The franchise has been successful enough to give Level-5 a larger presence into the gaming community after all and Hino himself still adores the franchise to the point that he stated that he wasn't ready yet to end it etc.

Of course, this is all talking under the hypothetical sense that Mr. Miller did indeed voice Layton for Smash 4 and that the good professor really is on his way....

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
You know, I've been wondering. In the hypothetical sense that these voice recordings are indeed intended for Smash 4 and that Layton is indeed on his way to Smash 4 as DLC.

Do you think that there may have been any potential influence from Level-5 themselves to get Layton into Smash 4?

For example, Konami and Sega apparently approached Sakurai to include Snake and Sonic into Melee but couldn't due to time constraints (It's probably worth noting that that was Sakurai's only reason for why they couldn't get in (If I recall correctly), even during Melee) likewise for Capcom who didn't approach Sakurai for Megaman in Brawl, rather expecting to receive a phone call from Sakurai himself. So it's not really unprecedented that other companies may want to see their character in Smash and even approach Sakurai for it or hoping to receive a phone call from him etc but couldn't due to it being too late for them then. And with DLC being possible now. Said companies don't have to wait until the next game for their next chance to get their characters into the series. (Sakurai may also want to check the ballot to see if Layton has a decent amount of requests as well I suppose)

Hino has expressed interest to see Layton in Smash (twice) and even got this idea brought up to him right next to Sakurai himself. The franchise has been successful enough to give Level-5 a larger presence into the gaming community after all and Hino himself still adores the franchise to the point that he stated that he wasn't ready yet to end it etc.

Of course, this is all talking under the hypothetical sense that Mr. Miller did indeed voice Layton for Smash 4 and that the good professor really is on his way....
Yes, I definitely think that if this is all true, Level-5 made the initial approach. There's no denying the company is pretty massive in Japan and does well in Europe too, has contributed greatly to Nintendo and has been an important partnership in the past at times such as the 3DS launch in Japan, where Layton was more or less selling consoles at launch. The company is 8 years producing independent games and already holds a 3.2% market share in Japan-- in similar sized industries of the US and Europe (by money), Nintendo grasped 12% in the first half of this year, putting that number into perspective. Level-5 is bigger than people think, and can definitely throw their weight around if they so wished.

There is that suggestion made directly to Hino and Sakurai back in '08 that Layton should be in the game, but he was only new so it's understandable why that thought didn't do much. But I wouldn't be surprised if Level-5 have been putting in a lot of ground work to get Layton in the game since. If he did become playable, I wouldn't be surprised if a Jibanyan assist trophy came alongside him given YW's success so far in Japan and it coming to the US-- though a reverse of this situation isn't likely to happen with the title still being relatively obscure.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think we would probably see some Mii Fighter costumes based on other Professor Layton and Level-5 characters too such as Luke and Jibanyan etc if Layton did make it in.

It would make sense if Level-5 had a hand in it for Layton's inclusion, especially around this point in time. They probably didn't really need to ask for fans to vote for Layton either as they can more or less just approach Sakurai directly and perhaps maybe even offer him any pre-made assets they may have done for him such as trophies (hopefully not just Luke....) and music as well as ideas for a stage and moveset etc to speed up the process and all. (Although it may help to bring in more ideas as well as proof that Layton does indeed have a large number of supporters too via the ballot.)

Last edited:

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
Well, Nintendo clearly don't have a problem with people associating Layton with them. At my local game shop, they have a whole tub full of Nintendo plushies, including a Professor Layton one and a Luke one. I got my sister the Layton one for Christmas last year, and I don't mind saying that the Luke toy is perhaps one of the cutest things I've even seen.

Knowing this, it just makes it even more clear that there would be little to no red tape involved in putting Layton in Smash, and I think you may be right in saying that Hino may even have approached Sakurai specifically about this, especially if we end up getting him before the Smash ballot ends.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
If you want even more proof that there would be no legal issues involved, Namco Bandai had already worked with Level-5 to publish Ni No Kuni in the west. So both developers of this Smash game have a good working relationship with Level-5.

And that, my friends, was the sound of all the barriers collapsing. The only bit of red tape you'd see in respect to Layton is the band on his hat.

Layton is by far the easiest third party to implement, the most well-known of the ones that would be easy, perhaps one of the most liked internally by Nintendo (and one of the most associated with them), and for that reason is, in my opinion, the most likely of all third parties remaining to get involved in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, guess I didn't really pay enough attention then. Just saw a few people flaming around though when he was being talked about....

I don't know, anyway, to something a little lighter up.

I've made an alternate costume for Flora, its her dress from Curious Village. c:
I've adjusted both this model and her modern model so that the bones can work in sinc. (As in, I lowered her heels from her modern model....)

I'm nearly done with Luke and the Super Mario Maker sprites too. ^^

Layton still needs a bit more work though.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
You where brave out there over at the DLC discussion thread The Light Music Club The Light Music Club I can already tell that thread would become a madhouse with some people if Layton does indeed make it into the game.... :/
Oh yeah, looked at that thread and saw people saying that being associated with Nintendo means nothing for getting into Smash because the co-developers nearly had another character who hasn't appeared on Nintendo consoles.

I don't value what most folk around here say too much.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh yeah, looked at that thread and saw people saying that being associated with Nintendo means nothing for getting into Smash because the co-developers nearly had another character who hasn't appeared on Nintendo consoles.

I don't value what most folk around here say too much.
Its probably for the best not to provoke them with what we know any further though. At least not in any sense that makes it sound like he's a "shoo-in" or anything as we don't fully know yet what the voice lines would be really used for. If nothing comes from this then the Layton supporters won't get condemned for it too much.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
What bothers me is that people forget Snake got in as a favor not because he's some sort of icon. The casual fans of Nintendo systems really don't know that much about him. He has to be at least equal to Layton in that regard.

Shovel Knight shouldn't even be thought as viable. To me his amiibo hurts him, since I don't really think he will get two amiibo, that's a ton of marketing for what might be a one off character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai did indeed never really include any third parties solely for being a "gaming icon".

Snake was included as a favor from his creator due to his son wanting to see him in Smash. (That's really the only official reason he was included, nothing about him being an "icon" of anything as far as I'm aware) Sonic and MegaMan had high fan demand (the former in particular caused Brawl to get delayed due to sheer amount of requests) and Pac-Man was a friendly request by Miyamoto during Brawl, Sakurai wasn't sure yet if he could work back then though.

There was apparently also James Bond he considered back during Melee and Heihachi for Smash 4.

Forgot what his reason for Ryu was but I have heard that Sakurai was a bit of a fan of Street Fighter 2 and even attended some tournaments etc.

As far as I'm aware, the only "rule" third parties have is that they needed to have appeared on a Nintendo console at least once. According to some people such as Goldenyuiitusin. Third Parties needing to be "gaming icons" is just another fan made "rule" made up by the community.

Last edited:

Lyngstud

Smash Rookie
NNID
HylianGameBoy
Shovel Knight just isn't going to happen. He's third party, his game has only sold 700,000 (impressive for an indie, but still), and the game isn't even out in Japan. Everyone seems to think that the rumours backed by Tama is some kind of prophecy, but honestly, I have yet to see any evidence emerge from those rumours. All that has been said is that some source might has suggested he might be in, but without any less vague evidence, my instincts tells me it's horse****. And I've honed my instincts on quite a few puzzles.

In comparison, Layton has been in four games with 15 million units sold, he's the most universally recognised character from Japan's fastest growing major publisher (although Jibanyan is currently more famous in their home country), and Level-5 have close ties to Nintendo, with there being some evidence towards there being ties between Hino and Sakurai as well. All of this is repeating myself and others, of course, but I think it's interesting to note in any case.

All of this leads me to believe that Layton might have been decided on as a character regardless of the ballot results, and that he was in the making already when the ballot started. Maybe the initial results were all that was needed for them to go ahead with further production of the character, and that the first signs of him being at least somehat recognized prompted the additional pages in Miller's session as well? I might be reading to much into it, but it all makes far too much sense in my head.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Shovel Knight just isn't going to happen. He's third party, his game has only sold 700,000 (impressive for an indie, but still), and the game isn't even out in Japan. Everyone seems to think that the rumours backed by Tama is some kind of prophecy, but honestly, I have yet to see any evidence emerge from those rumours. All that has been said is that some source might has suggested he might be in, but without any less vague evidence, my instincts tells me it's horse****. And I've honed my instincts on quite a few puzzles.

In comparison, Layton has been in four games with 15 million units sold, he's the most universally recognised character from Japan's fastest growing major publisher (although Jibanyan is currently more famous in their home country), and Level-5 have close ties to Nintendo, with there being some evidence towards there being ties between Hino and Sakurai as well. All of this is repeating myself and others, of course, but I think it's interesting to note in any case.

All of this leads me to believe that Layton might have been decided on as a character regardless of the ballot results, and that he was in the making already when the ballot started. Maybe the initial results were all that was needed for them to go ahead with further production of the character, and that the first signs of him being at least somehat recognized prompted the additional pages in Miller's session as well? I might be reading to much into it, but it all makes far too much sense in my head.
I mean, if you compare Shovel Knight's 700,000 sales on multiple platforms to Curious Village's 3.1million sales on a single platform, launching an indie studio and fortifying them as one of the leading forces of the Japanese game market, then it becomes kind of clear who pulls weight there. I like him, but even as an indie character Layton has them beat like a 10-picarat puzzle.

And what you're saying is certainly a logical approach to it. It's hard to know whether it's all about to happen until we get more info. I'm really on edge about this next direct, so I hope they announce it this evening.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Looks like I got some catching up to do.
You mean something like this?
http://puzzlestepladdertrick.tumblr...no-more-games-about-professor-layton-well-how

This is not mine nor do I know the person who did it personally. I just found it on the Layton subreddit months ago.
That does look pretty cool! Unwound Future does hint at the possibility of Luke becoming the new protagonist considering we see a new symbol featuring Luke's hat with the letter L on it, and Flora does seem like a reasonable new assistant.

Another new assistant possibility would probably go to Descole considering his very last line in Azran Legacy is, "A new adventure awaits" while he rides away into the horizon on the Bostonius. Perhaps it could be hinting that Descole will reappear in a future Layton game, but this time, he will likely appear in his true self and will likely be a good guy from now on. Perhaps Luke will run into him at some point early in the game while trying to solve a mystery and Descole (or should I say Desmond) will offer to help out. Luke will feel hesitant at first, but over the course of the game, Luke gains deeper trust in him compared to the events in Azran Legacy, and perhaps we will likely more about Descole's backstory then. Ah well, one can only dream.

As for the whole discussion that has just happened, I don't have much to add. All I can say is that if there's going to be a new character reveal this Wednesday, Layton is one of the most likely possibilities in my eyes for reasons that have already been stated in this thread.

I just wonder when will we get any new information about the additional DLC that will come this Wednesday (even if it won't be a new character, I'm sure we'll get a new stage since that missing stage from the Mario Maker stage trailer and the "stage number 4" data is very mysterious). When do you think will we receive information about this? Will it be tonight, sometime during the next two days, or on the day of the DLC similar to the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update back in June?

Last edited:

Mnaterap

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3666-4999
Sorry if this is out of topic, but I was wondering what will happen to this tread if Layton becomes a smash carácter, will it be like St. Mystere, this thread will just end?

Top Bottom