• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No, he should have three different sized cups of water on the table, distributing one cup to exactly 8 quarts to hint at the inclusion of Layton. :troll:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No, he should have three different sized cups of water on the table, distributing one cup to exactly 8 quarts to hint at the inclusion of Layton. :troll:
Oh yeah, that's even better. Can't believe I didn't think of that. :p

Actually, if the whole furniture thing is true and isn't all a part of people's imaginations (Which it probably is unless we get more evidence) I like the fact that Sakurai is treating newcomers inclusions as some sort of puzzle in of It's own.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
in a hypothetical second smash direct, i can see sakurai revealing layton at the start of the direct with sakurai presenting himself wearing layton's tall hat after the trailer, sorta like simon's reveal. A furniture tease would be nice, but I would prefer if Layton was kept a surprise altogether.
just like the european direct where the head of noe dressed as layton

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
just like the european direct where the head of noe dressed as layton
Oh yeah I remember that. Satoru Shibata was a big fan of the Layton series too wasn't he? I wonder if they still have that outfit, and if they do, Sakurai would wear it (or at least the Top Hat) if Layton was in.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I am bit peeved that the town of Folsense is basically another illusion deal. Level-5 has sorta has a liking to these kinds of conclusions with PW vs Layton and Curious Village. But once I saw how everything fell into place in terms of theme with Katia and Herzen, I felt strong emotions. I think in terms of plot, Diabolical Box has a better executed story than the rest of the Layton games I played so far. I like the darker tone, and even though I did dislike a part of the second game's ending, the illusion at least tied with the story well and had a very satisfying payoff.

I plan to play Miracle Mask, then Last Specter, then close it off with Unwound Future. I want my time with Layton to end on a high note.

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
About the tweet, wasn't the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn webpage added or something like that a few days ago? It was originally taken down years ago, and now it's back? I recall there being discussion about that on the forums and now the tweet, a possible correlation? Hmm...

...in that case, I have something.

I read that a few other games' webpages have been updated. And guess which game series was among that? Layton. I went to check and see if any of its pages have been updated, and they were! I took some screen shots below.

On the same date as the Dark Dawn webpage.

And then there are these:

If you notice, all the DS Layton titles were updated recently. Two of them on the same date as the Dark Dawn and Layton Hub webpages were. Now this could just mean a site maintenance or revamp, since other webpages were updated. Like maybe an added link to the Layton hub? But, still an interesting observation. You can also google this if you want to see for yourself.
Again, this could all mean nothing. But, should anything possibly referencing Layton pop up in the future, maybe something to keep in mind? I'm probably buying too much into this though...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I plan to play Miracle Mask, then Last Specter, then close it off with Unwound Future. I want my time with Layton to end on a high note.
I suggest you play Last Specter first before getting into Miracle Mask, mainly because it's the chronological order of how the games were released in the prequel trilogy. Miracle Mask even brings up several plot points that were pivotal to Last Specter and Eternal Diva, the Layton movie which takes place between those two games.

On that note, I'd make sure you also play Azran Legacy as well if you plan on playing Last Specter and Miracle Mask. AL is the conclusion of the prequel trilogy just like Unwound Future was the conclusion to the original trilogy. AL also answers a majority of the major plot mysteries that are built up throughout Last Specter and Miracle Mask (compared to the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy feels more like one overarching story).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
About the tweet, wasn't the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn webpage added or something like that a few days ago? It was originally taken down years ago, and now it's back? I recall there being discussion about that on the forums and now the tweet, a possible correlation? Hmm...

...in that case, I have something.

I read that a few other games' webpages have been updated. And guess which game series was among that? Layton. I went to check and see if any of its pages have been updated, and they were! I took some screen shots below.

On the same date as the Dark Dawn webpage.

And then there are these:

If you notice, all the DS Layton titles were updated recently. Two of them on the same date as the Dark Dawn and Layton Hub webpages were. Now this could just mean a site maintenance or revamp, since other webpages were updated. Like maybe an added link to the Layton hub? But, still an interesting observation. You can also google this if you want to see for yourself.
Again, this could all mean nothing. But, should anything possibly referencing Layton pop up in the future, maybe something to keep in mind? I'm probably buying too much into this though...
That's interesting, though It probably doesn't mean anything, actually does Nintendo still update the Wii U virtual console? It might be something related to that? Though I kind of doubt that at the same time since Level-5 recently released Curious Village EXHD and would probably rather try and sell that (With maybe an EXHD version of the other DS Layton titles down the line too)

What are the other game web pages that where updated?

Last edited:

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
Curious Villager Curious Villager The last virtual console game the Wii U got (here in North America) was Image Fight by Konami on February 2018. According to the wiki there aren't any new titles coming aside from TurboGraft stuff from Konami that were announced. The last DS title released was Picross 3D on March 2017. 3DS hasn't received any new titles either, however, the VC is still functional on the Wii U and 3DS. Not sure about updates, but I assume there hasn't been much?
Also, looks like Europe isn't receiving much titles either. And I think Level-5 would want to sell the older Layton titles on the Switch instead, than the Wii U.

Game pages on the Nintendo.co.uk, I read Kirby was updated then I did some digging. Sounds like it really doesn't mean anything since a plethora of other old DS games were updated on Aug 4th. So it probably was just site maintenance/updating.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Curious Villager Curious Villager The last virtual console game the Wii U got (here in North America) was Image Fight by Konami on February 2018. According to the wiki there aren't any new titles coming aside from TurboGraft stuff from Konami that were announced. The last DS title released was Picross 3D on March 2017. 3DS hasn't received any new titles either, however, the VC is still functional on the Wii U and 3DS. Not sure about updates, but I assume there hasn't been much?
Also, looks like Europe isn't receiving much titles either. And I think Level-5 would want to sell the older Layton titles on the Switch instead, than the Wii U.

Game pages on the Nintendo.co.uk, I read Kirby was updated then I did some digging. Sounds like it really doesn't mean anything since a plethora of other old DS games were updated on Aug 4th. So it probably was just site maintenance/updating.
i cant think of the last wii u thing we got here and i check the e-shop updates each week

mind you i couldnt tell you whats new on the switch either

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I have been giving tea a chance after playing the tea minigame in Professor Layton: Diabolical Box. It tasted like plain hot water the first time I drank green tea, but the taste was a little better with peppermint tea. I guess tea is more about how it heals your throat than taste.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Then I suppose the Virtual Console has nothing to do with it. Probably just site maintenance then.

I have been giving tea a chance after playing the tea minigame in Professor Layton: Diabolical Box. It tasted like plain hot water the first time I drank green tea, but the taste was a little better with peppermint tea. I guess tea is more about how it heals your throat than taste.
I surprisingly haven't tried that many different blends of tea. I tend to go for those with sweet taste though. I think some taste better with milk too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That’s funny, that mini game actually got me into tea, and nowadays I’m a huge fan of it.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I began drinking tea more often during college. Perhaps it could be because I wanted to admit the good ol' Professor Layton, though my main reason for drinking it was a simple wake-up drink. black tea was my go-to tea since it had the highest caffeine to keep me awake when I had to go through a long day of classes or had to finish a major assignment during the evening and night.

Now that I don't have to worry about classes these days, I drink peppermint tea. Not as much caffeine as black tea, but it's got a fine taste.

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
Tea is great, I really like black tea. It's even more delicious with honey. I thank my friends from college who got me into it.

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
So, what do you guys think of this exit poll?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

It's from SSB4Dojo. Now, it could be inaccurate, but so far it's been on point. The characters highlighted in green are ones they've been confirmed. Red, in but as assists. Self-explanatory.

If that's the case, then Layton's chances don't seem too well here. Seeing that Jibanyan scored higher than Layton in Japan and global rankings, at least Japan was huge driving force behind it. Then again, Bomberman scored higher than Simon but here we are.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

It's from SSB4Dojo. Now, it could be inaccurate, but so far it's been on point. The characters highlighted in green are ones they've been confirmed. Red, in but as assists. Self-explanatory.

If that's the case, then Layton's chances don't seem too well here. Seeing that Jibanyan scored higher than Layton in Japan and global rankings, at least Japan was huge driving force behind it. Then again, Bomberman scored higher than Simon but here we are.
I mean if Skull Kid is supposedly coming and Dark Samus being confirmed despite not being anywhere in this poll, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Though that doesn't really stop my concern of Jibanyan potentially making it in over Layton though. So long as he doesn't get Assist Trophie'd, we should hopefully be fine for potential DLC at least...

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
At least we're higher than Magnemite.
Which is more than can be said for Chrom.
I think you can see where I'm going with this. Magnemite confirmed

We'll never know what the results actually looked like. I'll get over that. There's little point trying to predict the whole roster because there are definitely going to be one or two left-field characters amongst all these fan-pleaser picks. I think we'll be seeing more of those that nobody is predicting in the coming months.

If Level-5 does get a rep, something Layton may well have going for him is that his model and attributes could easily be based on Marth's or somebody similar, like how Bayonetta was based on Zero Suit Samus, rather than making a new character straight from scratch like they probably did with most of the newcomers so far. Sneaky shortcut the dev team could use to save a bit of time with him. I guess Jibanyan could be based on Pichu but eh. We'll see.

This talk about a Katrielle Echo Fighter though does inspire me, as Sakurai may see it as two newcomers for the price of one (two protagonists, no less) without adding a random Yokai nobody has heard of or cares about to echo Jibanyan. And with the rumours circulating of a single-player mode with bosses, Layton's characters could slot in nicely among them. They could make Yokai Watch work I suppose, but - and call me biased if you like - Layton's villains would be absolutely perfect in that kind of mode.

If we get any Level-5 character(s) - Layton, Jibanyan, or even that Inazuma 11 kid - that does open the door to other Level-5 representation. Playable Layton is of course the dream, but seeing him as an Assist Trophy, or getting a fantastic arrangement of Professor Layton's Theme (or Theme of the Last Time Travel!) in the sound test or something... honestly, its better than nothing, I would take that as a win and Layton getting his foot in the door.

Layton could definitely be that sleeper pick nobody saw coming, without risking mass-disapproval for his inclusion.

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
I mean if Skull Kid is supposedly coming and Dark Samus being confirmed despite not being anywhere in this poll, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Though that doesn't really stop my concern of Jibanyan potentially making it in over Layton though. So long as he doesn't get Assist Trophie'd, we should hopefully be fine for potential DLC at least...
True.

You know, I've seen some say Layton should be an assist and while it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were confirmed as one (since that would mean his series gets recognized in Smash), something bothers me about that idea.

For one, I've noticed the assist trophies are either supporting characters from major franchises or main characters of smaller ones (sales wise). Like Midna from Zelda, Rodin from Bayonetta, Krystal from Star Fox are supporting characters. Main characters are from smaller franchises like Starfy. (Nintendogs is a unique case though, but they're animals and don't really have a set main character.) Layton, being a major character in his own franchise as an assist doesn't seem right. To me Layton, while isn't a huge franchise than say Mega Man or Final Fantasy, is a long standing, decent sized franchise. It has sold 17 million titles worldwide and is Level-5's most successful series. Sales wise it's up there with some NIntendo titles like Metroid and Wario.

The only issue Layton could have is creating a unique moveset, maybe that's why Bomberman is an assist. But if characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt can be playable characters, then so can the Professor.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Bomberman has no problems with creating a unique moveset, though I speculate the reason for his exclusion is the lack of being able to distinguish that much from explosive users like Snake, and the franchise being one of the lowest selling Konami series ever, being below Castlevania, Frogger, and Metal Gear in sales.

Also, I didn't know the Layton sales were updated too. 17 million, that exceeds the Tales of franchise sales. Hopefully, Layton gets to 20 million units by the end of the year with heavy Katrielle Layton promotion with the Switch port and anime. :O

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like Yokai Watch would be perfect for enemy design's in that new mode. (If It's an adventure type mode) Layton admittedly doesn't have too many enemy design's apart from a couple Azran golems, but maybe Sakurai can represent both series by having a location based off one of the Layton games and having a number of enemies from Yokai Watch invading it. With maybe either Descole or Don Paolo as a boss with one of their machines. I don't know if they will mix multiple series together or stick to a set theme but I guess that's a possibility...

Best case scenario is that both Layton and Jibanyan become playable though (probably through DLC though)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Sorry if this is a rant, but I feel like i got to get something off my chest.

Sigh, i just wish Layton had more support from the Smash community. Like I can't fault people for wanting the characters they want, but man it just feels unfair. The Professor Layton series is the most closely loyal to Nintendo and successful 3rd party franchise, it has worldwide appeal, has a plethora of recent games on Nintendo consoles, and is very close to the overall Nintendo brand. Most people are surprised when I tell them Layton is 3rd party, most people assume he's a Nintendo character due to how much he's associated with it. Heck, even when I suggest Layton for Smash, most people think it would be a good idea, but for some reason or another he just doesn't have that much momentum in support.

I don't want to sound entitled, but I feel out of all potential and already present 3rd party franchises, Layton deserves it the most, but he hardly gets any support outside of this thread. I guess there isn't that much overlap between the puzzle game crowd and the fighting game crowd.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Sigh, i just wish Layton had more support from the Smash community. Like I can't fault people for wanting the characters they want, but man it just feels unfair. The Professor Layton series is the most closely loyal to Nintendo and successful 3rd party franchise, it has worldwide appeal, has a plethora of recent games on Nintendo consoles, and is very close to the overall Nintendo brand. Most people are surprised when I tell them Layton is 3rd party, most people assume he's a Nintendo character due to how much he's associated with it. Heck, even when I suggest Layton for Smash, most people think it would be a good idea, but for some reason or another he just doesn't have that much momentum in support.

I don't want to sound entitled, but I feel out of all potential and already present 3rd party franchises, Layton deserves it the most, but he hardly gets any support outside of this thread. I guess there isn't that much overlap between the puzzle game crowd and the fighting game crowd.
I know how you feel. Puzzle games in general don't tend to get talked about much when it comes to Smash. Like you see people preaching about wanting more iconic gaming content in Smash, yet no one's asking for Tetris to be represented in Smash in any way. Like an Assist Trophy or Stage would have been great! But we only got like two songs back in Brawl and that was more or less it.

Arle is also another puzzle game character that consistently does well in popularity poll's. But again, you don't hear the community itself talking much about her.
It also can't be helped that even Sakurai himself doesn't seem to care that much about puzzle based games. Other than praising Lip and Dr.Mario's music that one time all the way back in Melee. He hasn't really done much for them outside of Lips Stick as an item and Dr.Mario as a last minute clone. I was hoping for a Pushmo stage too since it seemed very perfect but nothing much came of that either.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

We just need a small Layton hint from Sakurai that drive the Layton support base again, much like with Skull Kid's and Isaac's fanbase. When and if that time will come remains to be seen.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
We just need a small Layton hint from Sakurai that drive the Layton support base again, much like with Skull Kid's and Isaac's fanbase. When and if that time will come remains to be seen.
I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if Layton have support from the community or not, I just hope Sakurai can see Layton's merits outside of ballot popularity.

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
Bomberman has no problems with creating a unique moveset, though I speculate the reason for his exclusion is the lack of being able to distinguish that much from explosive users like Snake, and the franchise being one of the lowest selling Konami series ever, being below Castlevania, Frogger, and Metal Gear in sales.

Also, I didn't know the Layton sales were updated too. 17 million, that exceeds the Tales of franchise sales. Hopefully, Layton gets to 20 million units by the end of the year with heavy Katrielle Layton promotion with the Switch port and anime. :O
This. If there is one thing Layton has over Jibanyan and any other Level-5 rep, it's that he's the most recognizable Level-5 character. That gives him the edge at least since his series is the most successful. Bomberman isn't that for Konami unfortunately.

Oh, I feel you. Layton is my most wanted third-party with Phoenix and he tends to be overlooked in the Smash community. As for most deserving I'm not sure about that polarizing term. There are plenty of other third-parties who I think should get a shot like Crono, Banjo-Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, and Rayman, but Layton has my overall support.

I have seen some support on twitter and tumblr, but they're more casual. Don't think our Professor has none, because he does. But his fans don't seem that enthusiastic or passionate about it. Hell, I've seen some be quite negative in saying: "Well I don't think I'll ever see Layton in Smash, but I want him anyway." I know popular YouTubers in the past like ProZD supported him in the ballot, and even ZeRo who is one of the best Smash players in the world has expressed support for Layton in Smash through a video.

One more thing, I've been tinkering with an essay about Layton's chances in Smash and support. Might not be ready for a while as I have to work soon, but when I return I'll probably work more on it. I just want to spread more word on support for Layton

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah that's another thing, a lot of Layton fans aren't very confident in seeing him in the game. A character's support usually skyrockets whenever they are viewed as likely or having a chance. I mean just look at the Skull kid support thread. It went from a fairly small thread to bursting with activity and support just because he's mysteriously absent from the assist trophy list, the Moon supposedly replacing him (And some furniture...).

Which is, more or less how it usually works within the Smash community, really. Most character supports aren't usually taken seriously unless something comes up that may garner hope for fans that they may not be as much of a pipe dream as they though. And thus support in turn skyrockets.

In fact, even Layton had these short bursts of support in certain points during the Smash 4 speculation period. For those that where around, do you remember the ONM misunderstanding? Where the official Nintendo Magazine made a list of games they'd like to see Layton crossover with and then it blew up over at Tumblr because people mistakenly thought they leaked Layton for Smash? Or the Christopher Miller voice line incident? I hope the latter managed to at least boost Layton's support in the Ballot a bit during that period...

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
This. If there is one thing Layton has over Jibanyan and any other Level-5 rep, it's that he's the most recognizable Level-5 character. That gives him the edge at least since his series is the most successful. Bomberman isn't that for Konami unfortunately.

Oh, I feel you. Layton is my most wanted third-party with Phoenix and he tends to be overlooked in the Smash community. As for most deserving I'm not sure about that polarizing term. There are plenty of other third-parties who I think should get a shot like Crono, Banjo-Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, and Rayman, but Layton has my overall support.

I have seen some support on twitter and tumblr, but they're more casual. Don't think our Professor has none, because he does. But his fans don't seem that enthusiastic or passionate about it. Hell, I've seen some be quite negative in saying: "Well I don't think I'll ever see Layton in Smash, but I want him anyway." I know popular YouTubers in the past like ProZD supported him in the ballot, and even ZeRo who is one of the best Smash players in the world has expressed support for Layton in Smash through a video.

One more thing, I've been tinkering with an essay about Layton's chances in Smash and support. Might not be ready for a while as I have to work soon, but when I return I'll probably work more on it. I just want to spread more word on support for Layton
I guess I do underestimate the support of Layton, my perspective is skewed due to me only really dealing with the smash community through Smashboards and Reddit where Layton isn't that popular. Most of Layton's fan due seem to be more casual in support, makes me wonder how he actually did in the ballot since casual fans would be less likely to participate in exit polls.

Also yeah, "deserves" is a bad term, shouldn't have used it. I mainly just want to convey that Professor Layton has a lot of importance like Banjo, Geno, Rayman, etc.
I know how you feel. Puzzle games in general don't tend to get talked about much when it comes to Smash. Like you see people preaching about wanting more iconic gaming content in Smash, yet no one's asking for Tetris to be represented in Smash in any way. Like an Assist Trophy or Stage would have been great! But we only got like two songs back in Brawl and that was more or less it.

Arle is also another puzzle game character that consistently does well in popularity poll's. But again, you don't hear the community itself talking much about her.
It also can't be helped that even Sakurai himself doesn't seem to care that much about puzzle based games. Other than praising Lip and Dr.Mario's music that one time all the way back in Melee. He hasn't really done much for them outside of Lips Stick as an item and Dr.Mario as a last minute clone. I was hoping for a Pushmo stage too since it seemed very perfect but nothing much came of that either.
Pushmo is my most wanted stage! Seems weird that it gets representation in WarioWare but not smash. we still maybe get new stages so who knows.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's another thing, a lot of Layton fans aren't very confident in seeing him in the game. A character's support usually skyrockets whenever they are viewed as likely or having a chance. I mean just look at the Skull kid support thread. It went from a fairly small thread to bursting with activity and support just because he's mysteriously absent from the assist trophy list, the Moon supposedly replacing him (And some furniture...).

Which is, more or less how it usually works within the Smash community, really. Most character supports aren't usually taken seriously unless something comes up that may garner hope for fans that they may not be as much of a pipe dream as they though. And thus support in turn skyrockets.

In fact, even Layton had these short bursts of support in certain points during the Smash 4 speculation period. For those that where around, do you remember the ONM misunderstanding? Where the official Nintendo Magazine made a list of games they'd like to see Layton crossover with and then it blew up over at Tumblr because people mistakenly thought they leaked Layton for Smash? Or the Christopher Miller voice line incident? I hope the latter managed to at least boost Layton's support in the Ballot a bit during that period...
Do you know - I think I may actually still have that issue of ONM somewhere.
I remember that it was the one where PL vs AA was their main feature, and on the very last page of the issue - always the "joke" page - they listed a number of games that they "wanted" Layton to cross over with, with humour being the main goal of course. One of my favourites was Resident Evil, and just to give you all a flavour of how not serious this feature was:
"Mr Redfield, those won't zombies, those were drunk students after a night out. You've literally just committed hundreds of brutal murders. I cannot help you. I don't think even Phoenix can help you. Phoenix?"
"Nope, I'm not touching this one. Dang."

And yet despite this, people thought they were being serious when they suggested Professor Layton and Super Smash Bros. To be fair to them, it wasn't a particularly funny one and it was the last one of the column. "A mysterious fighting tournament - and it seems I am to be the final participant..."
But even if we're being fair to them... I mean come on.

I'll have to go through some of my old crap - if I ever find my ONM backlog (glad I never threw them out now!), I'll have to share that page here for the benefit of those of you who aren't UK.

---
This has raised an interesting point though. Pre-Smash 4, Smash support was more in line with what this thread in particular is, with everyone holding out hope that their favourite characters would finally make the cut after the long, long wait between instalments.
This time around - and in the advent of the age of DLC - it seems like people are often making bookie's odds or something on what characters they THINK will get into Smash, not what they particularly WANT to get into Smash.

There's a lot of bandwagon now, and that seems to be how characters get noticed. They pick up traction due to some rumour or something, and then people start to think, yeah this could happen and get hyped for it. For some, it lasts and they become genuine fans. For many, it doesn't.

As a byproduct of this approach to character "support", it also means there's more of "I love this character but I can't see it happening", and people just write off some characters they'd genuinely love to see based on some arbitrary criteria and 'rules' that don't actually exist.

It's now "what's likely?", not "what would make me scream in excitement like a small child?"

I'm not trying to call people out or anything, I can see the appeal in speculation even if it ultimately leads to a lot of broken hearts, but it is an interesting trend. I guess it's always been present, but it has definitely become more prominent as time has gone on I think - probably because we no longer have to wait seven years to have another stab at getting characters into Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do you know - I think I may actually still have that issue of ONM somewhere.
I remember that it was the one where PL vs AA was their main feature, and on the very last page of the issue - always the "joke" page - they listed a number of games that they "wanted" Layton to cross over with, with humour being the main goal of course. One of my favourites was Resident Evil, and just to give you all a flavour of how not serious this feature was:
"Mr Redfield, those won't zombies, those were drunk students after a night out. You've literally just committed hundreds of brutal murders. I cannot help you. I don't think even Phoenix can help you. Phoenix?"
"Nope, I'm not touching this one. Dang."

And yet despite this, people thought they were being serious when they suggested Professor Layton and Super Smash Bros. To be fair to them, it wasn't a particularly funny one and it was the last one of the column. "A mysterious fighting tournament - and it seems I am to be the final participant..."
But even if we're being fair to them... I mean come on.

I'll have to go through some of my old crap - if I ever find my ONM backlog (glad I never threw them out now!), I'll have to share that page here for the benefit of those of you who aren't UK.

---
This has raised an interesting point though. Pre-Smash 4, Smash support was more in line with what this thread in particular is, with everyone holding out hope that their favourite characters would finally make the cut after the long, long wait between instalments.
This time around - and in the advent of the age of DLC - it seems like people are often making bookie's odds or something on what characters they THINK will get into Smash, not what they particularly WANT to get into Smash.

There's a lot of bandwagon now, and that seems to be how characters get noticed. They pick up traction due to some rumour or something, and then people start to think, yeah this could happen and get hyped for it. For some, it lasts and they become genuine fans. For many, it doesn't.

As a byproduct of this approach to character "support", it also means there's more of "I love this character but I can't see it happening", and people just write off some characters they'd genuinely love to see based on some arbitrary criteria and 'rules' that don't actually exist.

It's now "what's likely?", not "what would make me scream in excitement like a small child?"

I'm not trying to call people out or anything, I can see the appeal in speculation even if it ultimately leads to a lot of broken hearts, but it is an interesting trend. I guess it's always been present, but it has definitely become more prominent as time has gone on I think - probably because we no longer have to wait seven years to have another stab at getting characters into Smash.
I think I still have that issue too. I have a box full of ONM's issues back when they where still doing them for some reason. It's heavy...
I think I might take a look at it too if you can't find it. Though I'm sure the page is circling somewhere around on the internet. In fact, It might still be around in one of the pages of the old Layton support thread as a number of people brought it up there. (Assuming the image isn't broken by now...)

Yeah that's more or less it unfortunately. Hence why I thought I should finish off my Layton Smash Ultimate styled 3D model and post that online in order to see if I can garner some more interest for him in Smash. The samples I shared over at Tumblr received quite a bit of likes and reblogs so he does have a fanbase that wants him in. They just aren't very vocal about it, unfortunately.

Last edited:

CooleTeeps

Smash Rookie
I had to make an account just to say, I'm really happy there are other people who think that Layton should be in Smash. Like a lot of you have said I never really see anyone say anything about Professor Layton, not just for Smash but just in general. As a longtime fan of the Layton series, I've been hoping he would be added to Smash for a while and I'm very glad to see that other people think so too. Does anyone truly think there is hope for Layton in Ultimate? I sure hope there's a least a chance...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

so seemingly k.rool was the actual winner of the ballot

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I had to make an account just to say, I'm really happy there are other people who think that Layton should be in Smash. Like a lot of you have said I never really see anyone say anything about Professor Layton, not just for Smash but just in general. As a longtime fan of the Layton series, I've been hoping he would be added to Smash for a while and I'm very glad to see that other people think so too. Does anyone truly think there is hope for Layton in Ultimate? I sure hope there's a least a chance...
Glad to see another Layton supporter on board! I'll be adding you to the supporters list, welcome to Smashboards too CooleTeeps!

Well one good thing is that Level-5 is still seemingly pushing for both Layton and Katrielle so he's still relevant just fine. Though admittedly, he was definitely much more at his peak during Smash 4 speculation period so I guess it depends on how well he did at the ballot...

By the way, I found the scan in question only...

This is the biggest I could find so you may have to squint your eye's a bit...
But still you get the idea. Layton in Resident Evil would certainly be something else.

Also, I found this during my search.
I don't know if this was from ONM too though...
Even they had Pullblox/Pushmo as their number one stage.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Glad to see another Layton supporter on board! I'll be adding you to the supporters list, welcome to Smashboards too CooleTeeps!

Well one good thing is that Level-5 is still seemingly pushing for both Layton and Katrielle so he's still relevant just fine. Though admittedly, he was definitely much more at his peak during Smash 4 speculation period so I guess it depends on how well he did at the ballot...

But still you get the idea. Layton in Resident Evil would certainly be something else.

now theres a flash back

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
F it, I will go start playing Unwound Future tomorrow. I want to experience the original trilogy before the next semester starts, I will be too busy studying to spend time on video games (Except for Ultimate).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I still think a Professor Layton and Animal Crossing cross over would be a surprisingly good idea. Layton and Luke get off at the wrong train stop and have to solve a mystery in the Animal Crossing village. All the NPCs are already created through animal villagers, you could even add in some classic puzzles and add a AC makeover to them.

Top Bottom