• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with Brawl: It's Community

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Could you maybe point out where he contradicts himself, because I'm not quite seeing it.

I would also like to thank the person who originally linked me to these articles (Rebel I believe).They've helped me come to terms with a lot of things, a fine read for any competitive beginners.
He kinda contradicts himself when he goes on to describing what a scrub really is. Because not everyone started out like that. He's either contradicting himself or just plain wrong.

No, not everyone started out as a scrub. I'm a living example.

TTT

Smash Journeyman
He kinda contradicts himself when he goes on to describing what a scrub really is. Because not everyone started out like that. He's either contradicting himself or just plain wrong.

No, not everyone started out as a scrub. I'm a living example.
eh i'm pretty sure you sucked when you first played this game...not knowing what to do and all...probably lost lots of times....

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
eh i'm pretty sure you sucked when you first played this game...not knowing what to do and all...probably lost lots of times....
That's not what a scrub is, though. While some people will use the term "scrub" both to describe true scrubs and newbies interchangable, some of us only use it to describe people with mental blocks against using certain tactics, strategies and combos because they deem them "cheap" (and they'll also whine when others do).

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Some people have a natural talent for numerous games. I remember telling one of my ex-girlfriends the controls and showing her a Peach demonstration and she played Peach better than me within ten-minutes; and she doesn't even play video games. To be honest if you pay attention to the controls and watched the tutorial it's hard to suck for too long.

TTT

Smash Journeyman
That's not what a scrub is, though. While some people will use the term "scrub" both to describe true scrubs and newbies interchangable, some of us only use it to describe people with mental blocks against using certain tactics, strategies and combos because they deem them "cheap" (and they'll also whine when others do).
Well that's like, your opinion, man.

scrub2 (skrŭb)
n. An undersized or insignificant person.

I would just use the term scrub to mean insignificant in competitive play because how much they suck.

lol i don't care how you use it w/e edited for wooo 300th post....3 years lol i'm wack. 5 am and 3 finals tomorrow.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well that's like, your opinion, man.

scrub2 (skrŭb)
n. An undersized or insignificant person.

I would just use the term scrub to mean insignificant in competitive play because how much they suck.
No, that's, like, one the most proper and popular definitions of the word "scrub".

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
The widely accepted definition of a scrub are players that limit themselves beyond the means of the game.

The widely accepted definition of a noob are players that are new to a game, or they are so bad their skill is comparable with someone who has just started playing the game.

Noobs can play to win.
Scrubs cannot play to win.

Scrubs can be noobs. (They tend to be)
Noobs can be scrubs.

However, they are different things.

Browny

Smash Hater
is there like an intermediate between the two extremes of scrub and pro (as in a word to describe it)

im not a noob or a scrub, but i dont go to tourneys, however i play 3-stock no item matches etc over wifi/local. so im not a pro, but not really a casual (i lurk here far too much to be casual :p)... wtf :/

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
not... really. I'm a noob pretty much considering I have my first tournament later this month and just picked up ssb series the past few months, but I also am far from a scrub.

If you're not new to ssb and you don't particularly feel scrubby, you're just... Well, an average player. Not everyone really has to put the time in to becoming a pro to shed themselves of the lowest of the lowest labels.

Remember, being a scrub is a state of mind, not a level of play.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
HI!

Also, Yuna, shut up. I haven't given a **** what you've said for about 2 months now. If you really care that much what others on the internet think, go outside.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
HI!

Also, Yuna, shut up. I haven't given a **** what you've said for about 2 months now. If you really care that much what others on the internet think, go outside.
I'm tempted to sig this even though it might make me look like an *******.

Aberu

Smash Cadet
My main gripe is about the lack of want for skill, over doing whatever they can to win.
Someone who plays a specific character because of their brokenness, rather than play who they like and actually get good with them is the problem. It's basically an easy way out or a way to cut corners and I was just surprised at how many people think of it as an option.

I think everyone should play to win, and to do what it takes to win, but to an extent.

As for the person who responded before mentioning that these tactics enhance the gameplay.... not the one i'm referring to.
I'm all for discoveries or techniques that actually do enhance the gameplay, or make the game better. The one that I was referring to however does not in any way.
Doing whatever you can to win is how you build skill. One skill arises where another one falls, different tactics go up an down the tier list of strategies. Becoming a scrub and saying "that is cheap don't use that" is not doing whatever you can to win.

is there like an intermediate between the two extremes of scrub and pro (as in a word to describe it)

im not a noob or a scrub, but i dont go to tourneys, however i play 3-stock no item matches etc over wifi/local. so im not a pro, but not really a casual (i lurk here far too much to be casual :p)... wtf :/
http://www.sirlin.net

That is all.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
im pritty sure that the point of the commuity is to discuss tactics and get better...

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I don't use cheap tatics or deem some characters unusable in certain match ups, but i still play to win. I don't know what you're expecting. No one likes losing, afterall.

Actually I haven't seen that many people with that 'do-whatever-it-takes-to-win-no-matter-what' mentality. But if the majority of Brawl players are like that, then i hope there's an attitude change immediately.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
ok, this is for everyone who thinks anything is cheap.....

If it's so good, why don't you do it?

I mean, honestly, now that everyone knows that Lucas and Ness can be CG'd to death. YOU PICK THE CHARACTER WITH THE RISK THAT THE OPPONENT WILL DO IT. Know what this means? Ness and Lucas are bottom tier except for the few match ups that don't instantly kill them with infinite chain grabs.

Where's the problem? It's a risk/reward.

Sure, I could pick Fox in melee. But, if I glitch through the stage and lose a stock, i have to accept that.
Yes, I could pick anyone except ICs and HOPE TO GOD that they also don't pick them. Since they can CG the entire cast except themselves.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
HI!

I'm sorry, what? Why do you care so much what I say, you pot, kettle and bunny?

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
Yuna.. not only do I think that it's terribly stupid that you are attempting to somehow shift the fact that you were once a scrub, but I also find it quite distasteful how you come up with these strange facts which you're more than happy to spout. The term scrub ANYWHERE refers to someone lacking what it takes to be the next step up, or the top of whatever game/genre/sport, so don't go saying stuff about how what you're saying is the RIGHT way. You look pigheaded honey, and it isn't doing anything for you.

Secondly, and this pertains to everyone, don't tell me to read a bunch of stuff that you all supposedly believe in heavily, and follow, and then go on to deny these same teachings when I bring them up, and then even have the balls to say that Sirlin made a mistake. Oh he did did he, and who the **** are you to say so?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yuna.. not only do I think that it's terribly stupid that you are attempting to somehow shift the fact that you were once a scrub, but I also find it quite distasteful how you come up with these strange facts which you're more than happy to spout. The term scrub ANYWHERE refers to someone lacking what it takes to be the next step up, or the top of whatever game/genre/sport, so don't go saying stuff about how what you're saying is the RIGHT way. You look pigheaded honey, and it isn't doing anything for you.

Secondly, and this pertains to everyone, don't tell me to read a bunch of stuff that you all supposedly believe in heavily, and follow, and then go on to deny these same teachings when I bring them up, and then even have the balls to say that Sirlin made a mistake. Oh he did did he, and who the **** are you to say so?
You're completely misinterpreting what you're saying other people are, moron.

One: A scrub is somebody with a mental block not lacking what he needs to go up but instead refusing to gain it.
Two: Not all newbies are scrubs. Being a new to a game has nothing to do with being a scrub or not.
Three: Yuna stated that that is A right way.

The problem with Brawl is people like you. Guess what? Brawl isn't an excellent competitive game. However, and I'm not sure if you've noticed or not, but...

We're all still playing it.

Unless you think that tripping and low hitstun are things we can fix by 'being a better community,' gtfo of the forums until you have an argument that makes sense.

Linkplayer5678

Smash Apprentice
SwampFox speak the truth, listen to him.
HI!

I loled
SwampFox obviously is a perfect example for a casual gamer.

Say hello, folks!
I rgaed

Linkplayer5678

Smash Apprentice
You're completely misinterpreting what you're saying other people are, moron.

One: A scrub is somebody with a mental block not lacking what he needs to go up but instead refusing to gain it
No
Two: Not all newbies are scrubs.
Ture
Three: Yuna stated that that is A right way.
facepalm.jpg
The problem with Brawl is people like you.
NO U tourney***.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Linkplayer a scrub is what he mentioned

Someone who illogically refuses to get better.
FOr example saying.
I refuse to use edge gaurding because it is dishonorable.
Or ITEMS ARE THE EBST WAY TO TEST SKILL IN TOURNAMENTS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is a scrub not because the person is new to the game.
Aren't they already called newbs?
We already have a word for it and that would be newbs.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As opposed to Sirlin's article, where he specifically goes on to state that being a scrub is not a matter of skill but a matter of philosophy (refusing to use certain tactics)?

Either Sirlin's nuts or you can just ignore the part where he says "Everyone was once a scrub" and the article will suddenly make perfect sense!

And never mind the fact that the word "scrub" means what I say it means, not what you think it means. Not everyone was once a scrub. Everyone was once a newbie/n00b (I personally differentiate between the two), yes. But not a scrub.

"Have the balls to say that Sirlin made a mistake"? Since when do you even believe in what Sirlin says? Half of what you've said in this thread goes against his "teachings".

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
But of course, that was prior to my being directed to the articles.

I may be a lot of things, but i'll never be so conceded or full of myself that I don't at least TRY other people's advice. I have no problem admitting that I am wrong, or even having my eyes opened to other people's views. That is the beauty of both opinions, and choice.

Linkplayer5678

Smash Apprentice
As opposed to Sirlin's article, where he specifically goes on to state that being a scrub is not a matter of skill but a matter of philosophy (refusing to use certain tactics)?

Either Sirlin's nuts or you can just ignore the part where he says "Everyone was once a scrub" and the article will suddenly make perfect sense!

And never mind the fact that the word "scrub" means what I say it means, not what you think it means.
Hey ***got, look up. :chuckle:

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Hey ***got, look up. :chuckle:
Ironically, in defending Swampfox you apparently expose yourself as one of those unable to even consider the views of others or put together any argument beyond "I am right you gay lololol", precisely the kind of person that Swampfox claims to be the main problem with Brawl. However, I'm probably doing the same by pointing it out, and relish the double-irony.

By insulting the "tourney ***gots" in this way, you also seem to be highlighting the fact that no one camp of Smash players is responsible for these attitudes, but that it is rather the fault of those within both camps who take issue with the actions of the other, and, insisting that their way of playing is 'right', try to force it on everyone else.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Competitive players don't try to force their way of playing on everyone else.

It's just one or two ***holes that make us all look bad.

Same with casual players. One bad apple spoils the bunch I guess.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Competitive players don't try to force their way of playing on everyone else.

It's just one or two ***holes that make us all look bad.

Same with casual players. One bad apple spoils the bunch I guess.
The problem is that in literally 99% of all cases, the idiot trying to force their way of play onto others are casuals and/or scrubs.

The only thing we Competitive players are doing is defending our way of play and saying "We won't change it for your reasons because we disagree with them". We're in no way telling them how to play or to change their way of play.

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
My opinions of the Brawl community as a whole have changed quite a bit throughout this topic's existence, and while at the beginning I didn't directly blame tourney players or casual players, I think that it does go without saying that both groups have their negative sides, but I'm hoping that the positives will, in time, prove to be greater.

There is a definite and distinct line that separates a truly competitive gamer with someone who is heavily competitive with friends, or plays casually. I think as a community whenever we see the opportunity to do so, we should attempt to guide anyone who misinterprets either group's ideals, or style, and point them in the right direction.

There is no real need to mouth off about players being scrubs, or johns or whatever other name-calling, insults there are, unless of course they are blatantly asking for it by not allowing an opposing party to voice their opinion in a somewhat respectable matter.

I know this is the internet and that I may be asking for a lot, but I'll say it regardless.

Roller

Smash Legend
My opinions of the Brawl community as a whole have changed quite a bit throughout this topic's existence, and while at the beginning I didn't directly blame tourney players or casual players, I think that it does go without saying that both groups have their negative sides, but I'm hoping that the positives will, in time, prove to be greater.

There is a definite and distinct line that separates a truly competitive gamer with someone who is heavily competitive with friends, or plays casually. I think as a community whenever we see the opportunity to do so, we should attempt to guide anyone who misinterprets either group's ideals, or style, and point them in the right direction.

There is no real need to mouth off about players being scrubs, or johns or whatever other name-calling, insults there are, unless of course they are blatantly asking for it by not allowing an opposing party to voice their opinion in a somewhat respectable matter.

I know this is the internet and that I may be asking for a lot, but I'll say it regardless.
This man speaks the truth. Listen and obey.

Down2Earth

Smash Rookie
You are talking complete ****. I hate these stupid posts that make such bold proclamations in their titles, and go on to talk about complete nonsense.
The community are the people that play the game, yeah, you get it kid? No community, no players. Just play the **** thing, stop talking out of your *** attempting to solve what you percieve as a problem.

Re-read your post. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

Top Bottom