• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with Brawl: It's Community

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Holy ****.

Can a mod please lock this giant scrub rant of a thread.

OP is a scrub and needs to level up.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
The problem with Brawl: The Melee Community

nuff said.
All the problems in the Smash community stem from Brawl. The divide of sides, the influx of scrubs, trolls, and glamers, people hosting tournies for a sequel that has yet to prove to be as good as its predecessor to get quick cash (and living off the coat tails of Melee) and people going to said tournies cause they think they can win money/think it will be fun to go to a tourney a few times but has no motivation in the long run/think they can get reconginition, and what could be the very death of the community itself.

Every community goes through this except the actually better sequels don't cause as much a ruckus (or at least seem close =/). Most communities get hit hard by bad sequels and fledging ones like Smash and Soul Caliber usually die. Most communities would either a. play both b. play the better game for now and see what happens in the future for the sequel. Unfortunately, alot of big tourney hosts don't see the smash series as some established fighting series with lots of depth like Evo, but rather, for them to make more money. So of course more people will attend Brawl tournies in the short term so why not host it? I fear our community, which has gotten an influx of temporary people going to tournies and hosts thinking of only money in the short term, will have more problems then other fighting game communities for those two reasons.

I am starting to fear for the worst. While I agree Melee players shouldn't always complain in the Brawl room, the constant "lalalala I am not listening, Brawl will be as good as Melee someday and our community will GROW FOREVERZ" of Brawl supporters is getting bad. Like I said, most communities would wait, then switch to the better game or play both if warranted. Communities that have jumped to gun like SC are dead and Halo 3 is having a similar problem in their community. Right down to the same **** let's make everything as easy as possible and restrict the game design so that players can't make the most out of their creativity.

SwampFox

Smash Cadet
Holy ****.

You really are doing nothing for yourself by blathering on about how a thread should be locked while giving absolutely no reasons outside of it supposedly being a "giant scrub rant of a thread". Grow up.

You are talking complete ****. I hate these stupid posts that make such bold proclamations in their titles, and go on to talk about complete nonsense.
The community are the people that play the game, yeah, you get it kid? No community, no players. Just play the **** thing, stop talking out of your *** attempting to solve what you percieve as a problem.

Re-read your post. IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.
I'm glad you were able to get that out of your system since you obviously needed to get your anger out in some shape or form. Not only do I doubt that you read all of the pages in this entire topic, but it was made several days ago when things were very different than they are now, believe it or not.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Holy ****.

TC leveled up. TC wants to learn Slash, but TC can't learn more than 4 moves. Delete an old move? YES. Congratulations, TC learned "Slash" and forgot "False Swipe"!

Like that?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Indeed.

Just like that.

SwampFox: YOU need to grow up sir.

Coming in here and posting about why the community sucks because it uses cheap tactics and only cares about winning. Are you serious.

Let's get this straight, I AGREE that this community sucks. It sucks due to the influx of brawl noobs flooding the boards and talking like they know their **** and talking down to the people that came before.

If they DO know their stuff then fine, but most of the time they just run off at the mouth spewing garbage and that is what is ruining this community. Also thier is a huge divide between casuals and competitives. And alot of casuals get angry at competitives for playing the way they do.

THAT'S what's ruining this community. Not the play to win attitude.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
lol...brawl has been dumbed down and so have the threads. being around smashboards for a month or less doesn't warrant someone to analyze a community they are not even a part of yet. Yes there are problems, and I have to agree they didn't start until all the Brawl noobs came in. Melee is/was a very tight knit community and I have made some great friends through tournaments. Some may not like how competitive players are being 'elitist' but in reality, the fact that we have actually competed in tournaments gives us the privlege of having seniority in analyzing the competitive aspects (or lack there of) in Brawl. If you've never actually played in a tourney, don't try to critique those who have, especially on a site that dedicates itself to finding advanced play techniques for competitive players.

Misterfister

Smash Rookie
This is never going to end. What everyone needs to do is go back to playing the game they hold so near and dear. Settle your quarrels on the battlefield. Take all that pent up teenage angst out on some noob, and make yourself feel better in the process. Then, come back here and realize how pointless this was from the start.

Look at my post count and totally disregard what I say. Heaven forbid we listen to someone's first post o.O

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The truth is that no matter what anyone says, everyone will play the way they like.

And that's how it should be. And that's the way it will always be. Asking people to change their preferred means of enjoying the game is ridiculous.

Misterfister

Smash Rookie
Apologies all around for posting here again, but where else to start. I figure, if i were to hang around the boards for months on end, and only dropping single line posts in character discussions in hopes to build a reputation, I am in for a long haul. I enjoy being in the heated debates, and can only hope some will be able to look past my join date and post count. I am more accustomed to being a lurker, but I enjoy an argument as much as the next human, so why not make a name for myself and go head first into the fire.

As for the whole community being the problem, I disagree completely. Had i agreed with this, I know that it would go overlooked as a little n00b with no idea what he's talking about, when in fact it's still personal opinion (although, if your opinion doesn't match the masses', you're looked upon as an outcast if you're in my position). As previously stated, some people are a bit vicious to newcomers, which make it difficult for a noob like myself to feel welcomed. However, I do have faith in fellow gamers as a whole and expect respect from the ones who recognize attempts to make a name for him/herself . Responses to this post will help in weeding out the problem children for myself. So please, flame me if you feel so inclined.

And yes, I know this is more about myself than the OP's claims, but so what... tell me you have never deviated off topic to get a point across. Where in all actuality, it tends to be spot on with the issues in this thread. You just have to read a bit deeper... or is that too much to ask?

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Most people only look at join dates when someone says something stupid.

If you say something stupid and joined within a few months, it's assumed that you're a newb that's still learning.

If you say something stupid and joined a long time ago, most assume it's an err in logic or a misunderstanding.

Keep in mind that people make a 70% accurate prediction of your character based on your appearance within the first second of meeting you. In the faceless world of the internet, we can only assume things that we can see. So, it would only be natural to assume that if someone with a recent join date says something stupid, that they are a newb. It's just a logical assumption.

Misterfister

Smash Rookie
I agree wholeheartedly, but when an attempt at an opposing point of view is shunned immediately due to lack of history with a particular group of people, I see that as being an unjust put down. Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion. But, when someone is denied that, (no matter what their opinion may be: Wrong or right) and looked down upon by others with no counterpoint made against their argument, that just shows immaturity from the regulars, and a lack of acceptance which a community should frown upon.

New faces are always popping up. Some with some insight, others with stupidity. Judgment is easy when determining a person's intellectual level by, not only their knowledge, but how they present a point. I'm not actually arguing any point, rather pointing out the flaws that are going overlooked (or pushed under the rug) within the community. What seems like no big deal to some is a major issue to others. The holier than thou attitude of some people is the prime example here. Said people are then backed by other people who don't want to be caught on the receiving end of the majority's wrath.

Respect to the OP for stating how he felt. Wrong or right, he had a lot of balls coming out and saying it. That much is truth.

Keep in mind that people make a 70% accurate prediction of your character based on your appearance within the first second of meeting you.
Where, might I ask, did you get your numbers btw?

HowlAtTheMoon

Smash Rookie
Congratulations! You are living proof of this fellow's example. Rather than constructively disagreeing or anything even moderately amiable, you tear him to pieces. ~85% of this community is the same way. Ironic that you tried so hard to disagree with him, and ultimately ended up proving him right. I salute you.
The problem is that in literally 99% of all cases, the idiot trying to force their way of play onto others are casuals and/or scrubs.

The only thing we Competitive players are doing is defending our way of play and saying "We won't change it for your reasons because we disagree with them". We're in no way telling them how to play or to change their way of play.
Most people only look at join dates when someone says something stupid.

If you say something stupid and joined within a few months, it's assumed that you're a newb that's still learning.

If you say something stupid and joined a long time ago, most assume it's an err in logic or a misunderstanding.

Keep in mind that people make a 70% accurate prediction of your character based on your appearance within the first second of meeting you. In the faceless world of the internet, we can only assume things that we can see. So, it would only be natural to assume that if someone with a recent join date says something stupid, that they are a newb. It's just a logical assumption.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
[cheesy grin]
Ron Burgundy: That doesn't make sense.

I would like to remind people that percentages are not to be toyed with, nor can you really just make them up, so knock it off!

As for the original post..i'm not even going to get into it, I think it's been covered. Thanks for 15pages of wasted life.

berserker515

Smash Cadet
wow i never seen someone take so much crap from people and insist on coming back for more. i dont even know what this topic is really about but i'll address everything i saw.

the CG on ness/lucas shouldn't be banned until its 100% sure that its totally inescapable. Twin Dreams said somewhere (to lazy to quote so I'll sum it up.) about why people would use characters if they know there are certain risks to using them. how would you feel if your main was useless because of something wrong with the game? something as simple as grabbing? even if you do play to win you can't tell me you don't see something wrong with that. yuna stated (again summarizing) that we should know when to stop an infinity. what is wrong with that is that it puts the persons fate in his opponents hands as he lost all control of his character. of course his opponent won't go easy on him as he is playing to win. its not even like these characters are the new pichu where they really just cant be used. lucas was most recommended for top/high tier last time i checked.

Sorry swampfox. correct me if i'm wrong but this was a competitive smash forum. they really don't have to cater to newbs, noobs, scrubs or anyone other than competitive smashers. them doing so now shows how nice they are. but you gotta understand there is a certain atmosphere competitiveness brings. so if you can't put up then shut up.

PS: lol twin dreams THIS is the widely accepted definition of scrub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7m_Pgt1S8

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Let me just make one thing clear: all was peaceful until Brawl was announced. I cannot recall a single discussion ever disrupting the peace in regards to competitive vs non-competitive and all that jazz. Casual players did their thing. Competitive players did theirs. Casual players accepted that competitive players were better (as is the case in all sports and whatnot) and kept to their own kind (playing with items and whatnot).

Later, the "Revolution" became the "Wii", and "SSBR" became "SSB: Brawl". The community was flooded with scrubs, and for the first time ever, members started claiming that competitive players were no better than non-competitive players (despite scientific evidence to the contrary). They started acting aggressively and calling the competitive community "wrong". They demanded that tournament rules be changed even though (here's the best part) THEY HAD NO INTENT OF JOINING THE COMPETITIVE COMMUNITY.

Smashboards has plenty of room for casual smashers. Learning how to improve with a character, use an item effectively, etc. is just fine. However, you forfeit your credibility as "casual" the instant you attempt to state "character X is better than character Y". This is the part where players who have entered NO tournaments in their lifetimes pretend to know more than those who have. Rather than accept their place in the community, they pretend to know more than a community with seven years of experience. They shout that items require skill but ignore the fact that the competitive community used items in tournaments; they shout that top tier whores have no skill, yet they refuse to choose those characters even though they are free to do so. The list goes on.

The incoming wave of Brawl scrubs is what made the community into what it is now. Somehow, playing to win is a violation of their rights, and they are seeking to banish it.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Brawl: The fact that BOTH sides of the community are so stupid as to just endlessly argue about a video game instead of ENJOYING it, or any other of the equally fine titles in the series

There we are. Thread is over, everyone can go home now. Just go play Brawl, Melee or whatever games you like to enjoy for whatever reasons. Honestly, you call yourselves fans or avid players when all BOTH SIDES do is argue, argue, argue in this place and every other Smash forum. Come on guys, it's beginning to get a little boring now... whatever happened to having fun? Be it in a casual or professional way, it's easy to have fun with Smash Brothers. Why can't you just agree on that, go your seperate ways and enjoy whatever Smash title you please?

Honestly, how can a game meant to deliver happiness and joy cause so much hatered and despair?

Misterfister

Smash Rookie
This was never a discussion about Brawl being a problem... Some people read too far into a blunt statement.
Ive been saying from the start that people need to just get back to playing the game that makes them happy, in whatever way makes them happy.

The only thing besides brawl that makes me happy is this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYbRiYwTY

HowlAtTheMoon

Smash Rookie
This was never a discussion about Brawl being a problem... Some people read too far into a blunt statement.
Ive been saying from the start that people need to just get back to playing the game that makes them happy, in whatever way makes them happy.

The only thing besides brawl that makes me happy is this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uhSYbRiYwTY
Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain
Where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies.

Top Bottom