• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Only the B-specials are actual Pokemon moves, I think.
His smash attacks and his f-air seem to be somewhat inspired by Razor Shell without the shell obviously, his back air could be double kick though it can hit 3 times, his n-air is probably Water Pulse, and his down air must be Acrobatics or Bounce.

Edit: Last one is definitely Bounce

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bounce_(move)

Last edited:

Spirst

His smash attacks and his f-air seem to be somewhat inspired by Razor Shell without the shell obviously, his back air could be double kick though it can hit 3 times, his n-air is probably Water Pulse, and his down air must be Acrobatics or Bounce.

Edit: Last one is definitely Bounce

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bounce_(move)
I was going by what was stated officially. It may seem like it, but I don't think it actually has the Bounce name attached to it the way the B specials are 100% confirmed to be actual Pokemon moves.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I was going by what was stated officially. It may seem like it, but I don't think it actually has the Bounce name attached to it the way the B specials are 100% confirmed to be actual Pokemon moves.
Ahh I see, I hadn't seen anything official on his Smashes, just what was in the instruction booklet and the custom moves for his special moves.

Edit to avoid double post: My circle pad just broke :cry:

I wasn't even doing anything crazy either, I was just crouching to cancel a dash. I've pushed way harder than what it just took to break that. Well, crossing my fingers hoping some Gorilla Glue does the trick.

Last edited:

SirKenneth

Smash Cadet
Hey there Ninjas. I'm a sheik main and just look for some ninja brethren training partners to help learn the match up and because I think greninja sheik can be fun. Just looking for some friends to help eachother learn some matchups. Good day.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
the only character i think he's worse than for sure is Sheik
i was wrong guys, Greninja is actually the best in the game

also i can't wait for the Wii U version, it seems so far away

Spirst

i was wrong guys, Greninja is actually the best in the game

also i can't wait for the Wii U version, it seems so far away
I'm intrigued to see how this all unfolds once the Wii U version is released. Just 3 more weeks now.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I was part of a conquest match earlier, pretty sure I won. I also managed to get my first substitute spike today, so satisfying.

Last edited:

Spirst

Gotta represent Frogger. Not sure who is more popular online of the three.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Now that I'm finally done getting everything on the 3DS version, I can make good on my word about being an active participant on these boards! ... for the next two weeks until the Wii U version comes out, and I'll have to do it all over again.

I hate to brag, but I wanted to say that I have been repping the Shinobi of the pond. I placed first in two Kentucky tourneys and third in another, but once I can fully focus on the Wii U version after obtaining everything, I'm gonna make sure Kentucky fears my Greninja as much as they feared my Olimar >:D

Now, for some personal thoughts on Greninja: one, I was right about a lot of stuff from the E3 demo, so yay. Two, I swear every time I play others with Greninja, I find something new I love about him. Very recently, it's been his Bair offstage. It wrecks Little Mac, and it usually forces a double jump so that I can trap them with a Hydro Pump. Anyway, expect to see more of me around here for the next two weeks before I mysteriously disappear for a month or so (hopefully less if they fix the headgear drop system in the Wii U version).

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Now that I'm finally done getting everything on the 3DS version, I can make good on my word about being an active participant on these boards! ... for the next two weeks until the Wii U version comes out, and I'll have to do it all over again.

I hate to brag, but I wanted to say that I have been repping the Shinobi of the pond. I placed first in two Kentucky tourneys and third in another, but once I can fully focus on the Wii U version after obtaining everything, I'm gonna make sure Kentucky fears my Greninja as much as they feared my Olimar >:D

Now, for some personal thoughts on Greninja: one, I was right about a lot of stuff from the E3 demo, so yay. Two, I swear every time I play others with Greninja, I find something new I love about him. Very recently, it's been his Bair offstage. It wrecks Little Mac, and it usually forces a double jump so that I can trap them with a Hydro Pump. Anyway, expect to see more of me around here for the next two weeks before I mysteriously disappear for a month or so (hopefully less if they fix the headgear drop system in the Wii U version).
Wow! Good to have ya here!

Spirst

Yeah, the bair can be really good if you do it from a ledgegrab on someone recovering.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I recently discovered it and I think 3-4 of my kills in the last few matches I played were using it offstage. It's ridiculously good at gimping.

:186:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
My friend got a pack of these little themed stickers and he got me a Greninja one and it's the best thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I don't know if anyone else has found this but as I was playing around today with greninja I found that if im getting hit I can do shadow sneak to in a sense ignore hitstun or knock back. For example link does up b back to the stage (even though im supposed use up b to push him) I can input shadow sneak at any point but at the end of the move if I input shadow sneak greninja will ignore the knockback and in fact punish link or any other character. If the opponent is at a high enough percent it can kill.

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
Heya there guys! I'm very new to smash and I love greninja. He is a fast character that has the best up-b of all. The other day I KO'd toon link as he was down-airing right in the middle of the stage. It's amazing how far hydro pump can push characters(unfortunately didn't record the match because I'm dumb). And all the litle macs I fought weren't a problem at all. I have been busy getting some of the challenges done and didn't participate on the forums. Hoping to learn how to up-air spike consistently and not miss hydro pump as much.

Spirst

I don't know if anyone else has found this but as I was playing around today with greninja I found that if im getting hit I can do shadow sneak to in a sense ignore hitstun or knock back. For example link does up b back to the stage (even though im supposed use up b to push him) I can input shadow sneak at any point but at the end of the move if I input shadow sneak greninja will ignore the knockback and in fact punish link or any other character. If the opponent is at a high enough percent it can kill.
Yeah, this has been mentioned before. It can be done with some multi-hits as well.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
So, good news. Here's a video of Wii U Greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9vY5ip6Es

All the moves shown seem to have the same attributes (damage, etc.,), including Hydro Pump. At 0:37, he hits Pika with Hydro Pump, and although it doesn't look like much, it pushes him the same amount as it does in the same set-up on the 3D version.

Interesting to note, however, the multi-hit move spikes may be gone as at 1:45 he clearly gets one (the final hit sound of Uair is missing) as he fast fell before the final hit, but Pikachu wasn't carried down with him. Unfortunately, this also limits Uair comboing into itself at low percents. So, overall, Greninja does seem to be very slightly nerfed, but his Usmash and Hydro Pump seem unchanged at least.

SinnohLove

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deki12
3DS FC
3609-1696-1586
The nerf of the multi-hit move spikes is probably one of those changes included in that new patch for the 3DS version.
Also hi everyone, i'm happy to see that Greninja is loved here, he is such a great Pokemon :)

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
The nerf of the multi-hit move spikes is probably one of those changes included in that new patch for the 3DS version.
Yeah. :/ Oh well.
Also hi everyone, i'm happy to see that Greninja is loved here, he is such a great Pokemon :)
You know it!
image.jpg

<3

Also, excuse me of this picture is overly big. I can't tell on mobile. .-.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i still haven't found a Greninja avatar i like enough to switch over

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
came close to finding a Sheik avatar, but thanks

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

So I accidentally achieved this on the bus this morning, on two hours of sleep.

Just so you know, I rarely use Greninja. Definitely am not well practiced with him.

I was using a custom build, but it wasn’t a tailour made one for Master Core, like I did for Rosalina. It was simply a balanced enough one for Smash Run, with minor upgrades, and two of his custom moves in place.

I was only doing 9.0 to get his last custom move, but by the time I had reached Master Hand, I still did not have it. So I decided to see if I could get it while beating Master Core. I was expecting to get beaten once or twice at least, though. But I ended up playing really well for some reason. And I got the custom move I needed!

When the Wii U version arrives, I may import this custom build and see if I can beat 9.0 there too.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
So, bad news. I played the Wii U version today for three hours at a Gamestop. Usmash now has more ending lag, enough to be punished by any character's running grab it would seem if the lower hit is shielded. Additionally, Hydro Pump seems to have lost both range and a little push back power (the latter needs to be better confirmed cause FFAs are hard).

On the flipside, I think Uthrow has more hitstun now... maybe. Everything else feels about the same otherwise.

Last edited:

fill

20EggsEggs
well i finally got to play, i went to the gamestop event, wii u version, no gc controller but greninja felt really nice

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
well i finally got to play, i went to the gamestop event, wii u version, no gc controller but greninja felt really nice
Cool. You deserve to finally be able to play. xP Are you going to get it on release? I'm going to have to wait till the holidays. .-.

Spirst

So, bad news. I played the Wii U version today for three hours at a Gamestop. Usmash now has more ending lag, enough to be punished by any character's running grab it would seem if the lower hit is shielded. Additionally, Hydro Pump seems to have lost both range and a little push back power (the latter needs to be better confirms cause FFAs are hard).

On the flipside, I think Uthrow has more hitstun now... maybe. Everything else feels about the same otherwise.
Wait, what? Are you certain of this?

Goddammit, that sucks. I was really hoping Usmash/Hydro Pump would remain untouched. Hopefully this doesn't have too big an effect on his gimps if it turns out to be the case.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Wait, what? Are you certain of this?

Goddammit, that sucks. I was really hoping Usmash/Hydro Pump would remain untouched. Hopefully this doesn't have too big an effect on his gimps if it turns out to be the case.
I am for sure certain of Usmash's ending lag. You can see an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9vY5ip6Es&list=UUVNPMJhruxR3BwNYa-e0eig
It's near the end of the video with two Usmashes in a row, done as fast as possible; compare it to the 3DS. Originally, I didn't catch this cause my computer was being laggy and I was mostly testing for percent/knockback.

As for the Hydro Pump, it certainly felt like my range was reduced, but that may have just been me trying to work against the Pro Controller.

EDIT: Before anyone starts freaking out, it would seem Sakurai has a good idea about what characters have what, more so than I originally thought. I would not be surprised to see Sheik, Rosalina, ZSS, and Diddy get similar nerfs if something like Usmash was considered too OP. Let's just wait and see what the Wii U brings.

Last edited:

KERO

Smash Journeyman
It really isn't that big of a nerf; it's still a really good move; its damage, knockback, and range are all still intact. We'll just have to be a bit more careful with it now, which makes sense given how good of a move it is.

Last edited:

Spirst

It really isn't that big of a nerf; it's still a really good move; its damage, knockback, and range are all still intact. We'll just have to be a bit more careful with it now, which makes sense given how good of a move it is.
Yeah, seems about right. I'm more worried about hydro pump.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, seems about right. I'm more worried about hydro pump.
There's always a chance I'm wrong about Hydro Pump, imagining things are different when they really aren't, etc., I feel like Greninja will manage either way, especially if the other big four are nerfed as well.

Top Bottom