• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
So, in an effort to spur conversation, I have a question. I've noticed that Greninja is consistently cited as being one of the top characters in the game alongside Sheik, ZSS, and so forth. Do you guys think this is justified? Does anyone see this still being a thing even within one year? Speculatory, of course, but interesting.
I've lurked the competitive scene for some time and just now getting into it so my opinion lacks experience. However, I do think that Greninja can hang with top characters. He feels very adaptable to different opponents which I think is due to his high mobility. My playstyle with him is more unpredictable than my other characters which is cool.

I think with time as the rest of the roster develops and tricks are discovered, Greninja will hopefully be right there with it. I love this character and I'm excited to see his full potential.

Last edited:

mightychir

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0387-9912-4573
Has anyone been able to learn/effectively use his DACUS? so far I can't even seem to do it in practice mode.
I'm able to do it...? Dash to USmash but it ain't the full DACUS like how Snake's was in Brawl...it is a minimum slide but Im not entirely sure to consider it so.

Last edited:

Sneak Frog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scrappert
Geez, I've been running into a lot of Sheiks lately and it's been killing me.

Greninja can't handle all this beatdown either. Poor frog, just wants to be the better ninja in the scene.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I love Greninja! I especially love his Hydro Pump push properties! Helped me win a match.
Also Greninja water squirting taunt actually does 3%. A funny thing happen about it. I was facing another Greninja on For Glory and I did the taunt and the other one tried to used Shadow Sneak only for him to get hit by the taunt.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'm really feeling Greninja. He's probably my favorite character so far.

Kenneth E. Norris

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZetaKen
I don't always save my replays, but when I do their only when I gimp people with hydro pump.

Know it's been said enough, but it's sometimes just so humorous to kill someone with that move. One time I even saved someone from impenitent death by just hydro pumping them higher and higher until they could reach the ledge.

Choice

Smash Champion
It would have been great if hydro pump had the same power it did in pokemon. Where's my 120 base dmg? =(

TheBearsnake

Smash Cadet
NNID
theBearsnake
3DS FC
4553-9978-0228
hi ho er'body. Been a Ganon main most of smashes history, and depending on how the wii u version feels, I may remain so. However Greninja is far to much fun and helps me alot to deal with the hax/spammers online that Ganon struggles with (Its to boring to literally try and bait them all as him). Also Greninja seems very viable so far and wold love to help contribute and get help from yall as well. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Each pump should do 120% and still keep the windbox.
Yeh. They also need to entirely revamp Greninja's moveset so it's a Protean Greninja with varied special moves instead. :V
haha competitive pokemon joke yeahhh[/size=1]
I tied for 4th/5th in a 60 person tournament at SoCal with big names like Tyrant, M2K, Xzaz, etc. I feel accomplished today :p.
just gonna quote this over here because discussing it in the thread it was posted in would've been a bit off topic...

Holy mooooooooly. :00 Cool! Got any replays saved from that event? Or really any replays. I'd love to see how you play.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeh. They also need to entirely revamp Greninja's moveset so it's a Protean Greninja with varied special moves instead. :V
haha competitive pokemon joke yeahhh[/size=1]

just gonna quote this over here because discussing it in the thread it was posted in would've been a bit off topic...

Holy mooooooooly. :00 Cool! Got any replays saved from that event? Or really any replays. I'd love to see how you play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-b1GQaBQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VQtozeMgE

They only streamed/recorded from quarter finals and onwards. First video is loser's quarter finals and the second one is loser's semi finals, which is where I got DQ by Monkey. M2K was in the other loser's semi finals match and Tyrant was in Winners finals in that same round, you can look the videos up online.

Monkey is such a good player though, he's the only Little Mac I've played who can consistently beat me. Normally I can beat any Little Mac after I play 2 or 3 times with them.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-b1GQaBQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VQtozeMgE

They only streamed/recorded from quarter finals and onwards. First video is loser's quarter finals and the second one is loser's semi finals, which is where I got DQ by Monkey. M2K was in the other loser's semi finals match and Tyrant was in Winners finals in that same round, you can look the videos up online.

Monkey is such a good player though, he's the only Little Mac I've played who can consistently beat me. Normally I can beat any Little Mac after I play 2 or 3 times with them.
Oh man. Nice job regardless. Great matches; really cool to watch!
Can I call you sensei????

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
How many people here started training a Greninja in the Pokémon games themselves after getting used to him (or, rather, her in mine's case) in Smash?

Spirst

How many people here started training a Greninja in the Pokémon games themselves after getting used to him (or, rather, her in mine's case) in Smash?
I like to pretend the Greninja I use in pokemon battles is the same Greninja I use in smash battles.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I like to pretend the Greninja I use in pokemon battles is the same Greninja I use in smash battles.
Exactly. Greninja's one of the few characters I use the default costume for because of that.

Spirst

Well, it's been a good ride. Mewtwo is coming to be my main.
I was just going to tag you and tell you that. I'm tempted to jump ship too actually. Really interested to see how he plays in this iteration. Mewtwo is amongst my all-time favorite pokemon.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I was just going to tag you and tell you that. I'm tempted to jump ship too actually. Really interested to see how he plays in this iteration. Mewtwo is amongst my all-time favorite pokemon.
Yep. I'll keep maining Greninja until he gets released. Then I'll probably secondary Greninja since I will know him so well by then, but Mewtwo is definitely becoming my main. He'll need to be extremely sucky/boring for me to not main him.

Spirst

Yep. I'll keep maining Greninja until he gets released. Then I'll probably secondary Greninja since I will know him so well by then, but Mewtwo is definitely becoming my main. He'll need to be extremely sucky/boring for me to not main him.
And seeing as how it's Mewtwo, it wouldn't be boring. I feel like the mechanics of this game are more beneficial towards him (assuming he keeps mostly the same moveset) and I also expect a few buffs to be given considering they're most likely going to be advertising him like crazy. If I do change, then yeah, Greninja will be up there too.

Either way, it's exciting as ****.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Welp. I guess I'll be over here with my ninja frog. o_o'

When I saw Greninja in X and Y, he instantly became my favorite Pokemon. xP

Mewtwo's pretty cool, I'll probably give him a try, but I'll take the cool disco ninja froggie over him any day.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
See I'm excited for Mewtwo, but I'll still main Greninja. Sceptile on the other hand, that's a different story. I picked the grass starter every time up until X&Y, I loved Chespin to. But once I saw how stupid Chesnaught was and how awesome Greninja was I had to use him. My Protean Greninja was the first Pokemon I trained to 100 without Rare Candies since my first Venusaur in Blue version and just like Sprist I pretend they are the same Greninja.

Choice

Smash Champion
Greninja > Mewtwo guys. I don't see mewtwo with a tongue scarf

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
who cares about mewtwo anyway we've got the better typing we just get to switch in on his stabs for free and blow him up with dark pulse

:186:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Is that his neutral air? If it is, I love that thing.
Ehhh. No. Just a pokemon joke. Mewtwo is a psychic type. So, whenever he uses a psychic type move, he gets a same-type-attack-bonus, also known as a "STAB." Now, since Greninja is a Water/Dark type, emphasis on the Dark part, he's unaffected because Dark types do not take damage from psychic type attacks. The blowing up part with dark pulse is because Dark Pulse, unsurpsingly, is a dark type move and thus is super effective against psychic types, like Mewtwo.

Hurray. Pokemon jokes. Whoo.

Top Bottom