• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

Jtails

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just made a competitive guide for anyone interested in picking up Toon Link. Anything I left out, feel free to let me know guys :)

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
Hey guys, just made a competitive guide for anyone interested in picking up Toon Link. Anything I left out, feel free to let me know guys :)

Thanks for this JTails! This will be pretty good for the players who want to pick TL up.
Btw, I'm now your 6000th subscriber!

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
Hey guys, I finally got my capture card in today. I figured I might start a Sm4sh-dedicated channel. I'll try to include mostly Toon Link, but I'll also upload other characters depending on how interesting/combo-oriented the match turns out.

Here's an old match I had against ADHD randomly one day in For Glory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBKXQotiJ8&feature=youtu.be

juddy96

Smash Lord
Really good Toon Link player named Manzoku got 4th at Japan's UMEBURA 11.

WSF vs. Rain :4diddy:

LQF vs. Aiba :4yoshi:

LSF vs. Shu :4sheik:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Manzoku right now is looking to be a top 3 toon link main in my eyes. Hopefully he shows up more often.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I have a question. In your second match with Ness at about 7:22, how were you able to just drop the bomb before recatching it with a Nair? I'm not quite sure how to do that without Zairing. Thanks for showing us this footage by the way.
It's an IZAC. It's pretty much frame perfect now and not easy to pull off in tourney but I'm managing now. My hand was actually injured that night so I couldn't rely on it as much. Anyway. If you press Z the first few frames of your jump. You won't tether. You'll do a normal z-drop and there you can catch the bomb with a nair or whatever ariel you want.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I just had a few games with a MegaMan, I used Luigi most of the time and I won majority of them vs. him. When I used Toon Link however, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQq0vefynwQ&feature=youtu.be

I got completely bodied almost every game and this was my final game with him and I ended up getting very impatient and frustrated, I kept throwing out smashes for days and also resulted back to too much rolling...
Then afterwards I faced a ganondorf and was able to win with almost a full stock, being able to keep him away from me with the projectiles and zair, JCBT into a nair or fair.
I also changed the c stick to "attack" instead of smash in hopes to improve my tilts but since I always use it for smashes with Toon Link it threw me off. Should I leave it on attack or smash?

How do you handle another projectile based character like MegaMan?

Last edited:

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
I got completely bodied almost every game and this was my final game with him and I ended up getting very impatient and frustrated, I kept throwing out smashes for days and also resulted back to too much rolling...
Then afterwards I faced a ganondorf and was able to win with almost a full stock, being able to keep him away from me with the projectiles and zair, JCBT into a nair or fair.
I also changed the c stick to "attack" instead of smash in hopes to improve my tilts but since I always use it for smashes with Toon Link it threw me off. Should I leave it on attack or smash?

Try mostly using his bombs, which beat crash bombers and metal blades as well as clashing with charge shot, and going for fair/u-air followups. Falling zair pokes are good as well, though be mindful that the endlag on toon link's grounded grab is easily punished by mega man, who has a superior grab, so don't abuse it. You have to significantly outplay mega man in this matchup to win, so I think ur better off going with Luigi/other secondary. It'll save u a lot of frustration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys, so I just had a few games with a MegaMan, I used Luigi most of the time and I won majority of them vs. him. When I used Toon Link however, this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQq0vefynwQ&feature=youtu.be

Don't roll. The Megaman took advantage of it to get you backed into a corner. If the opponent is putting pressure on you, you should escape (which can be done with sh zairs, JCBT, etc.) or knock them away. Escaping is generally the better option against Megaman, since his up-close game is much better than TL's, while TL is the better camper. If you have a boomerang coming at you while you're grabbing someone you should throw them toward the boomerang instead of holding on to them. Try to be less predictable with your projectiles, for example don't charge your arrows so much. Also, avoid getting above Megaman as much as possible.

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
Alright, I will put these tips into play next time I come across a MegaMan or any other projectile player and will try to post another video.
I will also put the C - Stick back to smash since it seems like the most reliable option.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
New footage of myself. Didn't even know this online set was being uploaded. I was really only playing for funs anyway hence why I used Pit in game 3.
Don't think there's that much to take from it, maybe a few ZSS points here or so but anyway, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlEkOOGSgg

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
New footage of myself. Didn't even know this online set was being uploaded. I was really only playing for funs anyway hence why I used Pit in game 3.
Don't think there's that much to take from it, maybe a few ZSS points here or so but anyway, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXlEkOOGSgg
Is it just me? the video sounds little delayed...
but other than that... Very nice play mang... I wish I can play toon link like that XD

Sharkzie

Smash Cadet
Here is one of me vs a Rob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dz8ilfFm6w&feature=youtu.be

From the get go I can already see that:
1. No zairs
2. Not enough aerials
3. Input errors
4. No JCBT, only because last game I tried doing this and he kept stopping me with his projectiles.

What else am I missing? I found this difficult because he stayed back and used his projectiles while I had to move in to use mine, while getting caught quite a lot by his beams...

I'm still learning to use my aerials better and to better time my zairs.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Is it just me? the video sounds little delayed...
but other than that... Very nice play mang... I wish I can play toon link like that XD
Yeah the audio is awfully desynced for some reason which is a shame he has other videos which don't do that. Probably cause I am just too fast for the recording ooooo

Last edited:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I finally got my capture card in today. I figured I might start a Sm4sh-dedicated channel. I'll try to include mostly Toon Link, but I'll also upload other characters depending on how interesting/combo-oriented the match turns out.

Here's an old match I had against ADHD randomly one day in For Glory:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBKXQotiJ8&feature=youtu.be
Dude that's so unfair.. I only play for glory when I'm outrageously high or drunk.

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
Dude that's so unfair.. I only play for glory when I'm outrageously high or drunk.
A drunk/high Diddy... and he's still devistating. I say we make all Diddy players drink/take a hit before starting a match from now on. :^)

Shame I could never participate in the glorious offline scene.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
You should've thrown bombs when he was gonna throw nanas. Works like a charm in this match up Zan. You did it against his peanuts when you were recovering at one point :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You should've thrown bombs when he was gonna throw nanas. Works like a charm in this match up Zan. You did it against his peanuts when you were recovering at one point :p
I know, but its hard to keep your composure when ZeRo's pressure and stream nervousness is there haha.

Also, I feel like dash shield approach with diddy is broken vs us

T-Man

Smash Cadet
NNID
lT-Manl
3DS FC
5086-1450-2098
Guys I really wanna see what you do agaisnt ROB ... IMO, ROB is TL worst MU.

Do you guys have any video of you against a ROB?...
Can TL outcamp ROB? ...
How to escape from ROB´s nair?

I´ll really appreciate any video against that thing :), since I´m having bad time against them :(

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I know, but its hard to keep your composure when ZeRo's pressure and stream nervousness is there haha.

Also, I feel like dash shield approach with diddy is broken vs us
Wouldn't argue with you there. Diddy's dash start up animation ends super fast. He has the best on in the game I think giving him stupidly good ground momentum. I've been hearing from somewhere diddy kongs don't really like fighting Toon Link that much too. I'm still majorly convinced we can keep tihs MU somewhat even.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't argue with you there. Diddy's dash start up animation ends super fast. He has the best on in the game I think giving him stupidly good ground momentum. I've been hearing from somewhere diddy kongs don't really like fighting Toon Link that much too. I'm still majorly convinced we can keep tihs MU somewhat even.
Its not even, its 60/40 in their favor at best. He out plays us on the ground and getting stage control, juggles us hard, and keeps us cornered or pressure near or on the ledge. Only thing we have is potential gimps and banana control.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I should have footage up of me again pretty soon playing the Yoshi main in my reigon since he was really the only personI got to play on the recording set up. Only Winners Finals and Grand Finals. But this time I only lost a single game so I definitely feel as if I learnt Yoshi a bit more. Will upload soon.

D

Deleted member

Have a set vs a diddy in my region coming up soon. I won 3-0 in WSF, but it was close.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I love how so many good videos of people playing Toon Link competitively are finally surfacing. I remember when the 3DS version of Smash 4 released in Japan I was always trying to find videos or live streams of people giving Toon Link a go, but they were very scarce. I'm happy to see that there are plenty of cool Toon Link videos to watch now.

2MuchDog

Smash Rookie
Hey there everyone, I would like to say that I am pretty good with toon link, but when playing with my friend who is a captain falcon, i cant compete most of the time. I can see a lot of potential for me to improve. Tell me things that I did wrong, that I did right, and that I didn't do enough of. I really appreciate it. Also sorry for the incredibly terrible video quality. I also have less than 10 posts so you're going to have to attach these to the end of the youtube watch url part.

video 1 - q30Ff9ya0Lc

video 2 - BxpZLabTWgw

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
@ 2MuchDog 2MuchDog The problem with fighting Captain Falon in this game is he is incredibly good at rushing down Toon Link in this game because of our weakened camping game. However this is not to say we can still zone him. It's just a little bit more difficult. Honestly you want to make him sit in that shield of his instead of letting him run rampant power shielding rangs and arrows. Bombs serve a nice sort of shield pressure option so I'd abuse bombs as much as possible when fighting Falcon. Close down his approach patterns with rangs and bombs. Arrows to me in this MU almost seem useless.

Falcon is also heavy so he suffers from getting up-tilted like a million times by us. Don't up-tilt him before 5% though because he can gentleman out of it. After 5% you can up-tilt string him to like 30% then finish it with an ariel (preferably not dair though)

Killing, just be patient. Don't get silly or he will punish, falcon hits like a truck now. You don't want to be on the receiving end of an elbow or raptor boost. Bait them out and wait for the laggiest openings is all I can say. Bait kills if you can capatalise on their patterns.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Some more Yoshi match up business:
Set 1: watch?v=sRH_-MhsTos
Set 2: watch?v=oxHPjTft584
Set 3: watch?v=8StF5XloRng

LifeMakesMeLOL

Smash Rookie
Online friendly (not FG), but both our connections are very good so it's about as well as I play offline. Sorry about the quality, my phone's camera isn't too good.

Picked up TLink about a week ago so any and all critique is welcome. What I'm doing wrong, right, etc would be very helpful.

D

Deleted member

Someone showed me this and I thought they deserved to be posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xkk0UL_jaA

Online friendly (not FG), but both our connections are very good so it's about as well as I play offline. Sorry about the quality, my phone's camera isn't too good.

Picked up TLink about a week ago so any and all critique is welcome. What I'm doing wrong, right, etc would be very helpful.
I think it would probably help a lot if you were less predictable with your projectiles, since better players and/or people playing offline (even the best possible connections will still have enough lag to make a lot of inputs difficult) would just power shield them then punish. Also, don't roll backwards so much, you got punished for it and are lucky you weren't punished for it more. I also noticed a running bomb throw that wasn't jump-cancelled (which is when you press the jump button then immediately throw the bomb to get less lag on your bomb throws), so you should check out the second post of the metagame thread here with a list of TL's ATs. You should use zair more, too. It's a great spacing tool and can follow up to all sorts of things, like nair, a grab, and usmash (zair > usmash is a great way to land a kill, too).

Last edited by a moderator:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Top Bottom