• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pichu Social & General Discussion Thread

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Nair up smash can be a mix up to other legit things, fairly safe way to fish for kills so why not every once in a while

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah I think weak nair to upsmash combos on semi-floaties at KO percents. I haven't personally done it before, but I'd imagine it does work.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I mean axe does nair upair cross ups with our 9-11 up -smash and a 1 frame better L cancel I'd say it's very viable vs marth even if You aren't going to get something for sure it might get You some cheese percent when they try to punish the up smash (assumed it's semi spaced)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
What do you guys prefer after crossing up shields with nair? Up-smash from behind their shield? Uair (it only hits if they jump out of shield)? SH nair? SH bair? I've tried dsmash a bit but if they have time to jump out of shield, usually they are able to get above the hitbox of Pichu's dsmash.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I like nair sh upair wl maybe for another cross up xD

I honestly just keep mixing it up but double nair is safe vs grab if done in the front. Really should nair grab one day

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Hey everyone? How is this forum anyway? It doesn't seem as desolate as most low tier forums? Am I seeing tech here? Also who are you guys' influential pros? Who made Pichu anyway?

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
No, it's pretty desolate, but we had a decent flow of posts back spring and ealry summer. The closest we've had to influential pros are probably T0mmy and ICG. I didn't have any influence, so I don't really know. There's a bit of tecch - nothing fancy if you count the Pichu dash. Most people call it Perfect agility but I can't see a commentator saying it so I hope it eventually changes. So it's basically a shorter super wavedash using the UpB - the difference is that it has a set distance and it only has 1 frame of landing lag so it's less of a wavedash and more of a zip to a spot on the stage. You can do this from ledge too

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
But yeah, no player was ever influential enough for people to say that person made Pichu. If I ever have the chance, I'll try it. 1st things 1st I have to beat a ranked player. Looking to beat Kpan or Stingers. Kpan choked in a set he was winning over Wizzrobe so that'd be a decent choice, while Stingers is a peach so beating him would prove my ability to win tough matchups. They live close to me so they might be my best options. Right now though, I'm stuck overseas but when I get back..

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
if you want pichu tech there is a nair aerial interrupt which is really good and a not very good platfprm warp up air. you can also doraki jump. perfect agility is there too, but there isn't much to do with it since it's an inferior movement option to running. you can try to PC drop out of it and learn spacing for edge cancels, especially from the ledge. his up b can be turned around if you go straight up, which isn't very useful and is difficult, but it's there.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Pichu's most useful techs are just standard things like invincible ledgedash and waveland bair on platforms. He doesn't reward you as much for pushing his technical ceiling like double-jump cancellers and space animals.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Got banned from the pichu discord for speaking the truth by the pichu player who was caught cheating, and who was banned from his local tournament. Me, a defender of pichu players everywhere, banned by chaos for calling him out for his theory crafting, and said I trolling.

Anyone who knows me on this board know i can't troll to save my life, things have certainly changed since i've been gone i guess smashboards really have gone to drain like i've been told.

it's in my tag

Warning: I'm very slow on Jokes and Sarcasm, and I take things Overly Serious.

Last edited:

xChaos

Smash Cadet
Got banned from the pichu discord for speaking the truth by the pichu player who was caught cheating, and who was banned from his local tournament. Me, a defender of pichu players everywhere, banned by chaos for calling him out for his theory crafting, and said I trolling.

Anyone who knows me on this board know i can't troll to save my life, things have certainly changed since i've been gone i guess smashboards really have gone to drain like i've been told.

it's in my tag

Warning: I'm very slow on Jokes and Sarcasm, and I take things Overly Serious.
Lol you were blatantly being a douche for no reason. I didn't say anything that wasn't a provable fact in what I wrote up, they were just my ideas about how I could potentially go about improving a weak aspect of my game. I didn't preach it as me being a better player than everyone in there. I did, however, cite multiple people who are MUCH better than either of us at the game who confirmed the ideas that I had were legit, which is why I wanted to share them with the people in the discord.

Then you were just saying I'm an idiot and that I don't have any results so my ideas were by default bad, which is just not how ideas work in melee. You can prove something is right without being able to execute it yourself, that's how you get better at the game lmao, you figure out what you're supposed to do then you execute it.

While calling my ideas ****ty without any real evidence against them, you weren't even contributing any ideas of your own. Your entire presence in the discord was just having a crappy attitude towards what other people were saying, the whole entire time you were in there.

You were baiting me into getting mad about you saying I was wrong, (and I wasn't wrong anyway), and that's just blatant misconduct and going against the rules.

"3) Baiting / Bullying / Pedestaling other players in the chat: Treat everyone with equal respect. Don't be a douche. This is supposed to be a safe haven for our character and the people who play him."

I'll let you back into the discord if you actually agree to actually be constructive rather than a condescending douche.

Last edited:

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Lol you were blatantly being a douche for no reason.
calling you out for theory crafting is not me being a douche as you say, its the truth. Your not the first, hell even i'm guilty of it but banning me from discord because you didn't like what i had to say about it is your problem.

I didn't say anything that wasn't a provable fact in what I wrote up, they were just my ideas about how I could potentially go about improving a weak aspect of my game. I didn't preach it as me being a better player than everyone in there. I did, however, cite multiple people who are MUCH better than either of us at the game who confirmed the ideas that I had were legit, which is why I wanted to share them with the people in the discord.
You did not, and i know 90% of the best known pichu players and have spoken with them personally one on one.

Then you were just saying I'm an idiot and that I don't have any results so my ideas were by default bad, which is just not how ideas work in melee. You can prove something is right without being able to execute it yourself, that's how you get better at the game lmao, you figure out what you're supposed to do then you execute it.

While calling my ideas ****ty without any real evidence against them, you weren't even contributing any ideas of your own. Your entire presence in the discord was just having a crappy attitude towards what other people were saying, the whole entire time you were in there.
What you were doing was theory crafting, without result or proof that's all it will ever be, i've gave plenty of tips and advice to other pichu players here on this board just because i'm not an active member anymore doesn't mean i don't stop by from time to time to see how things are going.

You were baiting me into getting mad about you saying I was wrong, (and I wasn't wrong anyway)
So says you, you have any proof that the things you said work? Video's or anything. No, its just your word alone.

, and that's just blatant misconduct and going against the rules.

"3) Baiting / Bullying / Pedestaling other players in the chat: Treat everyone with equal respect. Don't be a douche. This is supposed to be a safe haven for our character and the people who play him."
I didn't bait anyone, i wasn't bullying anyone, nor doing any pedestaling. You didn't like what i had to say and banned me don't try to flip this on me when you were the one who was having the problem.

I'll let you back into the discord if you actually agree to actually be constructive rather than a condescending douche.
I'm fine with not being allowed back in the discord, as long as your in the position of power in that discord i think i rather not visit the pichu discord.

Last edited:

xChaos

Smash Cadet
You dont have to have a video of something to know that it works, its a VERY BASIC melee skill to be able to play out a situation in your head to see if the given solutions make sense. Wavedashing down outside of a character's pivot grab not only makes sense if you play it in your head, but its not even my idea in the first place, its something i was told by players who frequently place top 96 at nationals and win large locals. I dont know what kind of unreasonable results youre looking for as proof of concept.

What bugs me the most is that you were shooting down ideas in a serious discussion without offering any of your own ideas or even explaining what about the ideas were wrong. You chose to just attack the person that proposed the ideas rather than the ideas themselves, which is a very immature and douchey thing to do.

If youre seriously so lacking in self awareness that you cant see what you were doing, I dont want you back in the discord.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
It'll be alright guys, just gotta go at the speed of chill, no need to worry this isn't as teeth breakingly serious as the fire of who's the best at pichu/ da ditto

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
You dont have to have a video of something to know that it works, its a VERY BASIC melee skill to be able to play out a situation in your head to see if the given solutions make sense. Wavedashing down outside of a character's pivot grab not only makes sense if you play it in your head, but its not even my idea in the first place, its something i was told by players who frequently place top 96 at nationals and win large locals. I dont know what kind of unreasonable results youre looking for as proof of concept.

What bugs me the most is that you were shooting down ideas in a serious discussion without offering any of your own ideas or even explaining what about the ideas were wrong. You chose to just attack the person that proposed the ideas rather than the ideas themselves, which is a very immature and douchey thing to do.

If youre seriously so lacking in self awareness that you cant see what you were doing, I dont want you back in the discord.
WD down outside of grab range? I wasn't in the discord that day and missed it. I tried to scroll own like 400 messages but the beef made me forget what the discussion was about. If you mean a small WD back then I do that whenever I think they'll pivot grab. If you mean a WD in place then I see it working against the taller cast. For me it only seems to work if I'm facing the opposite way - probably because of Pichu's head.

Also wasn't this like a month ago?

xChaos

Smash Cadet
WD down outside of grab range? I wasn't in the discord that day and missed it. I tried to scroll own like 400 messages but the beef made me forget what the discussion was about. If you mean a small WD back then I do that whenever I think they'll pivot grab. If you mean a WD in place then I see it working against the taller cast. For me it only seems to work if I'm facing the opposite way - probably because of Pichu's head.

Also wasn't this like a month ago?
Not to avoid the grab by going under it, its to avoid the grab by being outside of its range. Wavedash down out of your dash animation is a basic spacing tool

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
Oh, I understand what it is you're talking about now. I really only used it with fox and falcon, but I'll see how well it effects my matches. I prefer to leave the ground slightly and air dogde down to bait out an attack but if I think they can be fooled more easily then I'll apply this

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
I understand it stops you in place and resets you to the standing animation - which is good, but I feel like it's super useful. Maybe if I want to get out a dtilt, but otherwise I don't see much use for it.

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
Yeah I kind of already got the picture - and like I said before, I apply it to my Fox/Falco play since it it works much better with them - or rather there's more of a reason to use it with them than pichu. There was a point where I did this all my characters but a certain player in my region (who left this year lol) reacted to it amazingly and I got punished almost every time. It's not like I spammed it either - he was just so good at reacting (He's a tech chase heavy fox who knows a lot about frame data so even though the WD was over I would only have time to shield or jab and he knew this. Sometimes he'd dash at me so would jab and then punish that) granted very few people are like him at low level. Either way, this movement option is about as useful to the rest of the cast as Link's moonwalk is to him. If it's not Fox or Falcon- or maaaybe pikachu then it doesn't really help much. They have the options that make WD down out of dash good - notably their JC upsmash(minus falcon) grab and Falcon's air speed. Every Falcon I've played within the year uses WD down but honestly it doesn't do all that much for them unless I'm a slower character like Falco or Doc.

I get its importance, but it feels like old news

xChaos

Smash Cadet
Yeah I kind of already got the picture - and like I said before, I apply it to my Fox/Falco play since it it works much better with them - or rather there's more of a reason to use it with them than pichu. There was a point where I did this all my characters but a certain player in my region (who left this year lol) reacted to it amazingly and I got punished almost every time. It's not like I spammed it either - he was just so good at reacting (He's a tech chase heavy fox who knows a lot about frame data so even though the WD was over I would only have time to shield or jab and he knew this. Sometimes he'd dash at me so would jab and then punish that) granted very few people are like him at low level. Either way, this movement option is about as useful to the rest of the cast as Link's moonwalk is to him. If it's not Fox or Falcon- or maaaybe pikachu then it doesn't really help much. They have the options that make WD down out of dash good - notably their JC upsmash(minus falcon) grab and Falcon's air speed. Every Falcon I've played within the year uses WD down but honestly it doesn't do all that much for them unless I'm a slower character like Falco or Doc.

I get its importance, but it feels like old news
It is old news, which is why it was so obvious the dude was trolling when he said that it wasn't a legit strategy because I dont have the results to back it up lol

PF9

Smash Lord
If Pikachu represents an adult mouse, then Pichu represents a baby mouse. Its running animation and crouching position clearly show the body of a baby mouse.

And its crouching position is the cutest of all the characters in Melee. There's no denying the cuteness of a sleeping baby.

#BringBackPichu

Top Bottom