• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Peach Q & A Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
ummm Falco is considered a -1 for us. Probably a 40:60 if you don't look at that dumb BBR matchup stuff.

I personally love the matchup. I can be aggressive and awarded for it since Falco does not like alot of pressure when his opponent is up close. We don't have a 0--> death on him but we can do the uair string on him similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYiI-g5IxGw#t=52s (in my opinion it's one of the easiest characters to do it on).

I just generally rush him with a turnip in hand. If he tries to reflect my turnip I downthrow it so it doesn't hit back and I'm right in front of him. After that it's just avoid his stupid jab and grabs and destroy him. Predict his recovery, kill moves (it's fairly simple), and make smart counterpicks and it's a set for the Peach.

We tend to lose because we get flustered or outcamped by the Falco. The matchup can be extremely annoying for a campy Peach because she won't know what to do.

Hope that helps!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I think it's a very winnable matchup 50-50. But also can be a tough match if not played right.

The biggest pains imo:
- He outspaces us horizontally on both the ground and the air. It can be very frustrating trying to approach him with ANYTHING because he can ftilt, fsmash, fair or bair you away. Even his NAIR has crazy range over us.
- His aerial hitboxes are super disjointed and powerful. Nair, bair and fair kill pretty early if you're not careful.
- His projectile spam can be dumb.

+ Fortunately I think peach has the tools to combat everyone of those challenges. To beat him horizontally on the ground, use an instant dash attack here and there. It is quick and can discourage the opponent from attacking on the ground. It's very frustrating getting hit by the move.
+ For the aerial hitboxes and projectile spam, just learn how ROB uses them and learn the hitboxes. Figure out how to get inside or dair or fair him in between the lag or him trying to hit you with a projectile.
+ The biggest plus is that ROB is a huge target, so you can throw down combos and uair strings on him easier than you can to other characters. You should always be near each other percentage wise and he can get hit by fair or bairs pretty easy.

FAIRs and BAIRs will KO him the most. Especially BAIR out of shield. At least in my experience.

SUMMARY
+ Watch ROB so you know how he is spacing his horizontal moves.
+ Watch ROB so you can weave in and out of his projectile spam
+ Be careful of his aerial moves. They have stupid hitboxes and duration
+ He is big so combo him like crazy to keep the percentages close
+ To KO him you're going to have to either tip your Fair or Bair him out of shield.
Thank you; really appreciated. But I think that you have the advantage, probably as good as 60:40 Peach's favour. Does anyone else agree with me or am I totally wrong? Also explain to me what "wasp" is...

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
What would the best controller setup for Peach be? I'm trying to pick her up as a second. I'm pretty liberal with controller setups.
I'm guessing a few people are gonna say set the C-stick to Special (aka B-stick), but it depends on if you want fast smash attacks/aerials (C-stick) or cool turnip tricks (B-stick)

Some people also set either X, Y, or L to grab, but it's all preference

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I'm guessing a few people are gonna say set the C-stick to Special (aka B-stick), but it depends on if you want fast smash attacks/aerials (C-stick) or cool turnip tricks (B-stick)

Some people also set either X, Y, or L to grab, but it's all preference
What do i get with Bstick over Csticking? And why the extra grab button?

I use tap jump off, X as grab, R as jump. Works for me.
R as jump for float stuff i guess?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I used to main Dedede and IC's, so I had it for easier grabs. I'm just used to it now, so I kept it. Doesn't have any hidden secrets or anything, just preference. :laugh:

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
What do i get with Bstick over Csticking? And why the extra grab button?
Peach gets some cool turnip tricks with B-stick on. B-sticking isn't really useful if you aren't planning on freepulling all over the place, so most people just stick with C-stick.

With B-stick, you can:
~Bonewalk easier (which is sliding while picking up a turnip, although I can bonewalk fine without B-stick)
~Freepull significantly easier (similar to bonewalking, although you can slide in any direction while picking up the turnip, as opposed to bonewalking only going forward)

However, taking away the C-stick makes aerialing while floating somewhat harder (you have to press A and a direction instead of C-stick). It's a lot harder to float backwards+fair with B-stick than C-stick

And some people prefer grabbing with their thumb instead of index finger. Idk. It's like how I L-Cancel in melee with R lol

Demonio

Smash Rookie
Okay, I’m thinking about using Peach as my main (trying to transition from a casual player to competitive), but I’m kinda iffy on some things…

-How long does it generally take to get good at peach/how much dedication and time do you use per day to practise her?

-I’ve been thinking about b-sticking for the turnips. I’ve been fairing well for the most part of it, but I particularly have trouble with the glide tossing in directions other than f-throw… I used to rely on the c-stick to glide toss upwards/backwards/downwards… is there an easy way to glide toss in those directions, or do you just manage it with experience?

-How do you execute an n-air or a u-air practically almost immediately after floating from the ground? I always end up using dair and other weird stuff instead…

-If I chose not to b-stick and did floating aerials with my c-stick, what finger do you use to tap the c-stick? I find it hard to hold jump whilst trying to use an aerial with a c-stick with the same hand…

-What is an effective way to practise developing Peach? I’ve been fighting against level 9 CPUS and I feel like I haven’t improved since I started years ago…

Thanks so much in advance!

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
Okay, I’m thinking about using Peach as my main (trying to transition from a casual player to competitive), but I’m kinda iffy on some things…

-How long does it generally take to get good at peach/how much dedication and time do you use per day to practise her?

-I’ve been thinking about b-sticking for the turnips. I’ve been fairing well for the most part of it, but I particularly have trouble with the glide tossing in directions other than f-throw… I used to rely on the c-stick to glide toss upwards/backwards/downwards… is there an easy way to glide toss in those directions, or do you just manage it with experience?

-How do you execute an n-air or a u-air practically almost immediately after floating from the ground? I always end up using dair and other weird stuff instead…

-If I chose not to b-stick and did floating aerials with my c-stick, what finger do you use to tap the c-stick? I find it hard to hold jump whilst trying to use an aerial with a c-stick with the same hand…

-What is an effective way to practise developing Peach? I’ve been fighting against level 9 CPUS and I feel like I haven’t improved since I started years ago…

Thanks so much in advance!
Hi!

1) Peach is in the center of the tier list, which means you have to work a lot harder than higher tiers. It took me like a year to get close the the "top" of wifi, but since then I've been getting even better. It's a steep learning curve, but once you get past the bad matchups, Peach can do a whole ton of crap. I just practice a lot (against people on wifi. Go to allisbrawl.com and join the ladder, it really helps for everyday practice)

2) Just messing around in training mode, I can glide toss in every direction just using the control stick and A. It takes a while to get used to the timing, although it is possible. For example, if you want to glide toss backwards but throw the turnip up: 1) get a turnip, 2) press R then back w/ the control stick, 3) quickly slide the control stick up. It works like that, with quick control stick direction changes.

3) "Ground float nair/uair," or I guess in brawl "auto-canceled nair/uair" are hard to time, specifically nair. To do direction aerials (U/D/F/B), press down, Y, and the direction on the C-stick. In Melee, people used to the the "claw" grip on the controller, which consisted of pressive X/Y with your index finger, and the C-stick with your thumb. You can do this in Brawl, too. However, I actually just press Y with the tip of my thump, and A with the fleshy part of my thumb (so I don't use C-stick). This way, I can even nair while groundfloating. Stopping the dairs takes a while to get used to, but use either the claw or my method, practice the timing, and you should get pretty good at it. For nair, remember to stop holding down the control stick before you press A

4) See "claw" in question 3

5) I, as well as many others, think practicing against computers is a bad idea. Because computers don't think (as much as humans), they don't adapt to your style, which means you can basically do the same things over and over again and they'll always work. Once again, I got good (I can safely say that I'm the best Peach on wifi) from the allisbrawl ladder. Through wifi, you get to play a lot of different people, which means different characters and different playstyles. I learned matchups, I can predict further ahead (lol lag), and I know the mechanics of Peach from just playing wifi

There ya go. Good luck with everything :)

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
So Uair String is kinda easy to me with regular settings. With the L Jump i do it at like Melee speed lmao, But My thing is that i have no idea how to just casually bust one out without fishing for one. Any ideas there?

Bonewalking without Bsticking is pretty easy imo. Anything else im mssing out on there (in the bsticking category)?

I still can't do that instant float to Nair thing. Like i can do it but its really slow in comparison to how i saw it in some vids. Tips?

Should i really be approaching with Peach? Or should i play it more passively? If approaching helps what would my best approaches be?

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
So Uair String is kinda easy to me with regular settings. With the L Jump i do it at like Melee speed lmao, But My thing is that i have no idea how to just casually bust one out without fishing for one. Any ideas there?

Bonewalking without Bsticking is pretty easy imo. Anything else im mssing out on there (in the bsticking category)?

I still can't do that instant float to Nair thing. Like i can do it but its really slow in comparison to how i saw it in some vids. Tips?

Should i really be approaching with Peach? Or should i play it more passively? If approaching helps what would my best approaches be?
Uair string is kinda situational, but you can sometimes set it up. I'm not too great at it, but I'm pretty sure you can SH dair, wait like .2 seconds, then start uairing. Also, catching airdodges, predicting DI, etc can all lead to the string

I think the biggest reason people use B-stick is freepulling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FieBCZAn_o0
It's basically bonewalking in any direction without the initial dash. It's possible without the B-stick, but pretty hard to do that consistently.

For the autocanceled nair, try pressing down and Y at the same time, immediately let go of the control stick, and press A. The trick is the release of the control stick, and it takes time to get it close to perfect

In my opinion, Peach, like most characters, functions best when not approaching. You can set up a turnip obstacle course, pressure them into landing in certain ways, etc. I play super campy when I have the lead (I'm also likely to time people out if necessary). Usually Peach players don't play as campy as me, but it's your choice. With the float, it's really easy to stall over the entire stage :p Btw, if you wanna play passively, turnips are your best friends
If you wanna play the approach game, I find the best thing to do is to float at the horizontal line just above your opponent's head. With this position, you can shield pressure really easily with dair/fair, even go behind them and bair, or fake them out. I always love having a turnip thrown towards them whenever you approach to limit their movement. Dair->uair->utilt, and Dair->bair->ftilt work for me at less than 10%

Zwarm

Smash Hero
3) "Ground float nair/uair," or I guess in brawl "auto-canceled nair/uair" are hard to time, specifically nair. To do direction aerials (U/D/F/B), press down, Y, and the direction on the C-stick. In Melee, people used to the the "claw" grip on the controller, which consisted of pressive X/Y with your index finger, and the C-stick with your thumb. You can do this in Brawl, too. However, I actually just press Y with the tip of my thump, and A with the fleshy part of my thumb (so I don't use C-stick). This way, I can even nair while groundfloating. Stopping the dairs takes a while to get used to, but use either the claw or my method, practice the timing, and you should get pretty good at it. For nair, remember to stop holding down the control stick before you press A
I don't claw with my Peach in Melee, and can do all of that stuff just fine. You can use Z to attack in Melee, so I alternate using Z and A to do most ground float stuff. I almost never use C-stick.

In Brawl, Z makes you air dodge. Peach is the only character that can use Z to attack, but she must be in a float, which makes it somewhat less useful when trying to do autocanceled fairs, but it's still something to keep in mind if you don't want to claw. Just hold down, press jump, let go, then hit Z quickly to get a FC nair out. A also works, but it might be a little harder since you need to use your thumb for both.

One last thing if you want to avoid having to claw, make your unused trigger (L/R) into jump, and use that to float, leaving your thumb open to use the C-stick.

This isn't directed at you llod, I'm just giving Demonio other options if he doesn't want to learn how to claw.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Okay well im kinda getting better with Peach. Actually starting to win a bit on the Lolfi. Got a few Uair strings in today. Still working on the Nair thing. The Hitting Z tip might help. Anyway what stages should i avoid with peach and what are her best stages?

And im sure someone knows about this but i played a Diddy and did the float over his nanners thing. Well he got kinda close so i Naired and i think i dropped the float too or something, but i landed and i picked the banana up instead of tripping. How does that work?

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
Okay well im kinda getting better with Peach. Actually starting to win a bit on the Lolfi. Got a few Uair strings in today. Still working on the Nair thing. The Hitting Z tip might help. Anyway what stages should i avoid with peach and what are her best stages?

And im sure someone knows about this but i played a Diddy and did the float over his nanners thing. Well he got kinda close so i Naired and i think i dropped the float too or something, but i landed and i picked the banana up instead of tripping. How does that work?
Everyone has different stages of preference for every single matchup. I know this seems obvious, but I see Peaches CP'ing so many different stages that it's hard to tell which is her best. The more you play (and the more your style is developed), the easier you'll find it to pick a CP based on your opponent's character+playstyle.

Personally, for neutrals, I like YI and PS1 against MK (you need a stage against MK, trust me), and SV against most others. For my counterpick, if my opponent isn't MK/Kirby/D3/GaW/maybe a couple others, my best CP is Rainbow cruise, and then Brinstar. I'd just counterpick a neutral if my opponent's character is better on RC/Brinstar (like MK or something)

And I'm pretty sure that if you just aerial close enough to a banana (while not floating), you pick it up. It's like picking up a turnip in the air with an aerial. There's probably some like insta-throw stuff you can do, but idk

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
When you pick you float near/over an item, Do an attack. And let go of the float while you attack. Peach with grab the item that is on the float. This works well on the platfroms. Just have Peach head over the platfrom and do an attack.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I ask way too many questions lol. Thanks to all the peaches taking the time to answer all these possibly stupid questions. Can Peach Upair to Upsmash? I was trying to Uair sting and i accidentally did that. was wondering if it was legit.

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I ask way too many questions lol. Thanks to all the peaches taking the time to answer all these possibly stupid questions. Can Peach Upair to Upsmash? I was trying to Uair sting and i accidentally did that. was wondering if it was legit.
Yeah, you can uair->usmash, but it's probably a better idea to rack up more damage with some more uairs :)

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
how do i ensure my crown slaps auto cancel? I try to keep pressure on opponents sometimes with the usual crown slapping of my opponents shield into jab. However, i'm not consistent on my autocancels.
Do i have to be floating to cancel the fair? Do i have to fast fall? Someone plz help me~

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
how do i ensure my crown slaps auto cancel? I try to keep pressure on opponents sometimes with the usual crown slapping of my opponents shield into jab. However, i'm not consistent on my autocancels.
Do i have to be floating to cancel the fair? Do i have to fast fall? Someone plz help me~
If you gorund float, let go of the float after Peach brings her arm down or you will lag.

Now if you jump to a Fair, make sure you are close to the ground. Cause if you are now, people can still grab you after it before you can Jab. This being you did not touch the floor yet to auto cancel the move. And it still takes frames to auto cancel as well.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
If you gorund float, let go of the float after Peach brings her arm down or you will lag.

Now if you jump to a Fair, make sure you are close to the ground. Cause if you are now, people can still grab you after it before you can Jab. This being you did not touch the floor yet to auto cancel the move. And it still takes frames to auto cancel as well.
Thanks, i'll be sure to practice a bit when i get off of work.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I was playing a lot of Peach the other day, and the amount of special items I've been pulling from Down-B is getting ridiculous(ly good!). I remember getting two stitch faces and a Bob-omb in my most recent game. There's been more incidents but I don't see the point in listing them all out lol.

Has anyone else been this lucky?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Never as a head on approach, if you're chasing someone after you've knocked them back a fair bit then go for it
Retreating is good but make sure that your opponent can't hit you during the foxtrot or get a projectile in whilst you're doing the Bone Walk
I'm not sure if Bone Walking to the ledge would be worth it since you could just ledge pull a Turnip - it would depend on what you were wanting to do once you reached the ledge/whether you wanted to remain onstage

I personally use Bone Walking for retreating/running away

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I was thinking that maybe the additional frames you put in for the foxtrot at the beginning would make it slower - the good thing about Bone Walking is that you combine the Turnip pull lag with essentially running...
...but in the case of sliding off the edge, the Turnip pull lag is pretty much negated (since you slide off the ground) - therefore Bone Walking would be slower since you're putting in extra frames (due to the fox trot start up) than if you were to simply dash and ledge pull the Turnip

That's my theory anyway

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Peach is fun to play lolz

Hey Llod I remember you beat Sbrk in a MM at pound
what do you think the MU is vs mk?

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
Peach is fun to play lolz

Hey Llod I remember you beat Sbrk in a MM at pound
what do you think the MU is vs mk?
Hmmmmm.... I say it's 40-60, MK's favor.

No matter how good the players are, MK>Peach. His tornado eats up Peach's aerial game. Grounded shuttle loop kills approaches. Dair camping, SH fair, etc etc etc all abuse flaws in Peach's moveset.

But, Peach gets a few tricks of her own, specifically turnips. If Peach has the lead (and, theoretically, doesn't have to approach), Peach can setup 2-3 turnips around the stage, limiting MK's approaches severely. Turnips + (Shield -> punish) racks up a ton of damage, but it takes a lot of patience.

Still, MK can take back the lead easily, can kill at lower %s than Peach can, and is faster. Imo the only advantage that Peach has is turnips and spacing

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hmmmmm.... I say it's 40-60, MK's favor.

No matter how good the players are, MK>Peach. His tornado eats up Peach's aerial game. Grounded shuttle loop kills approaches. Dair camping, SH fair, etc etc etc all abuse flaws in Peach's moveset.

But, Peach gets a few tricks of her own, specifically turnips. If Peach has the lead (and, theoretically, doesn't have to approach), Peach can setup 2-3 turnips around the stage, limiting MK's approaches severely. Turnips + (Shield -> punish) racks up a ton of damage, but it takes a lot of patience.

Still, MK can take back the lead easily, can kill at lower %s than Peach can, and is faster. Imo the only advantage that Peach has is turnips and spacing
So Peach can outspace MK?

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
So Peach can outspace MK?
Yes, but from my understanding, "outspacing" doesn't only apply to the physical dimensions of various moves. Specifically, if Peach plays intelligently, then she can time certain moves to hit just at the right spot to get through MK's walls of attacks.

For example, if you know that MK is going to grounded shuttle loop, shield it. Then, either utilt, uair, or usmash by reacting/predicting.

Another example... if you can set up a really tough wall to get past with turnips, you'll notice that people will try rolling through the turnips. If so, predict the roll with a float canceled nair

And actually, Peach can sometimes "oustpace" MK in the physicality sense. Fair is a really great move when it isn't stale. It can outrange some of MK's attacks

Yup :)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Oh I see llod. Thanks for your input. =)
You should come to some VA tourneys sometime. I'd like to get ***** by a pro peach lolz

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Yes, but from my understanding, "outspacing" doesn't only apply to the physical dimensions of various moves.
I thought that was exactly what spacing was lol

For example, if you know that MK is going to grounded shuttle loop, shield it. Then, either utilt, uair, or usmash by reacting/predicting.
Isn't that Yomi?

And actually, Peach can sometimes "oustpace" MK in the physicality sense. Fair is a really great move when it isn't stale. It can outrange some of MK's attacks
What exactly does fair outrange?

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I thought that was exactly what spacing was lol

Isn't that Yomi?

What exactly does fair outrange?
I'm getting the feeling that you think "outspacing" is just using a ton of moves with a lot of range, like Marth's fsmash or Snake's utilt or something. Is this true? What is your definition of spacing?

And I have no clue what yomi is lol

And once again, "outranging" depends on timing, as well. With fair, I've beaten: tornado, ftilt, dtilt, jab, shuttle loop, dair, fair, etc. It all depends on timing, and I'd rather not go into hurt boxes and frame data and stuff. That's not my forte =/

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I'm getting the feeling that you think "outspacing" is just using a ton of moves with a lot of range, like Marth's fsmash or Snake's utilt or something. Is this true? What is your definition of spacing?

And I have no clue what yomi is lol

And once again, "outranging" depends on timing, as well. With fair, I've beaten: tornado, ftilt, dtilt, jab, shuttle loop, dair, fair, etc. It all depends on timing, and I'd rather not go into hurt boxes and frame data and stuff. That's not my forte =/
I think of spacing as the use of physical space. Like if MK was spamming Fair he covers X amount of space. If Peach was to use Fair she has Y amount of space. Outspacing to me would mean that your Y beats his X. I mean other than that technically anyone can outspace MK by just staying out of his range.

I think like this because if you guys are directly in front of each other and you each do a move the faster one hits and the amount of space it takes up doesn't really matter, which would just be considered bad spacing on the slower characters part.

tl;dr I think you don't exactly need to be doing an attack to be spacing but when you wanna say out spacing, I usually think that if you were to perfectly space a move he has a move that will reach you anyway.

Yomi is wakeup in more traditional fighting games, iirc.
Nah its more like the mental aspect of the game. Knowing what your opponent wants to do and how to react to it. Like in traditional its at its most basic Shield beats attack, Grab beats shield, attack beats grab. So if you know he's gonna attack i'll react accordingly with a shield or w/e.

Top Bottom